As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Podcasts] Now listen to this

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    36498881_409743262866128_870865337216663552_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsdv1-2.fna.fbcdn.net

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I like pizza

Ah, a fellow sandwich enthusiast

oh fuck this

I'd rather codify a unanimously agreed upon definition of art than do this

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    yeah, this definitely all ties into the neoliberal rot of "if you aren't making money, why make anything?"

sometimes people make things because expressing ourselves is a basic thing humans do

then why share it

why not just have a nice conversation with your friends about whatever topic you want without needing to put it out there for the world to listen to

because showing other people the stuff we made can also be an important part of the process?

I dont get that part but I'll take your word on it

There’s a lot of people on these very forums that I think are funny and insightful, but it’s unlikely I’d find myself chatting with them beyond the occasional post back and forth or a few minutes of me awkwardly saying hi at a pax. But they do podcasts that are very enjoyable so I’m glad I can listen to them now and then to get their perspectives on media and laugh about stuff.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I like pizza

oh fuck this

is a calzone a sandwhich

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
  • Options
    I like pizza

oh fuck this

is a calzone a sandwhich

it's a dumpling

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I like pizza

oh fuck this

is a calzone a sandwhich

it's a dumpling

Yeah ok

Is a pop tart a dumpling

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I like pizza

oh fuck this

is a calzone a sandwhich

it's a dumpling

Yeah ok

Is a pop tart a dumpling

yeah

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

I have this condition, too.

Also in regards to Doritos.

As an aside, we're getting pizza from a local joint tomorrow. They do one where there's no sauce; they instead spread roasted garlic on the dough as the "sauce." And then we'll ask them to put olive oil and roasted tomatoes and prosciutto on top and then not move for the rest of the evening and god, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

• Options

I have this condition, too.

Also in regards to Doritos.

As an aside, we're getting pizza from a local joint tomorrow. They do one where there's no sauce; they instead spread roasted garlic on the dough as the "sauce." And then we'll ask them to put olive oil and roasted tomatoes and prosciutto on top and then not move for the rest of the evening and god, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

mods

• Options
    Okay you found a way to talk about pizza in a way that doesn't make me want it

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Is 'podfading' what happens in Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    What happened to that tv show about podcasting?

When is Aaron Sorkin going to do a show about the high stakes world of podcasting?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    august on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    What happened to that tv show about podcasting?

When is Aaron Sorkin going to do a show about the high stakes world of podcasting?

Alex Inc was swiftly canceled, thus depriving us of more Tiya Sircar

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah. It's not great. Basically framing podcasts only in the light of financial gain. Which is always a little more than eyeroll worthy

I do think there is an interesting article to be written on the saturation of podcasts in culture. And in some cases the sort of 'everything must be a project' mentality that probably exists in unhealthy levels (though this is in NO WAY just a podcast thing) But it's also a huge avenue of people getting to make stuff and express themselves in a rather easy and innocuous way.

But largely I think the real negative angle to the 'everyone has a podcast' is just dealing with the social faux-pas of admitting to your friend that you don't listen to their podcast.

Specifically I think there's some interesting stuff with podcasts breaking into the mainstream and how people see them now.

Like, we all make fun of Serial, we're all surprised by exactly how big stuff like MBMBaM is at this point, et cetera, but there are also a bunch of people for whom Serial is their first podcast, who haven't come from a culture that is very invested in podcasts. People who might not be aware that there is a whole tradition and culture of creating a shitty little podcast with your friends that never amounts to much of anything.

And I think the people in that article are some of them, people without a whole lot of visibility into that world. And when even the bigger podcasts frequently present themselves as scrappy, just a couple of friends trying to make it, it can be easy to think that said world is a lot smaller than it is.

Why do people make fun of Serial?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah. It's not great. Basically framing podcasts only in the light of financial gain. Which is always a little more than eyeroll worthy

I do think there is an interesting article to be written on the saturation of podcasts in culture. And in some cases the sort of 'everything must be a project' mentality that probably exists in unhealthy levels (though this is in NO WAY just a podcast thing) But it's also a huge avenue of people getting to make stuff and express themselves in a rather easy and innocuous way.

But largely I think the real negative angle to the 'everyone has a podcast' is just dealing with the social faux-pas of admitting to your friend that you don't listen to their podcast.

Specifically I think there's some interesting stuff with podcasts breaking into the mainstream and how people see them now.

Like, we all make fun of Serial, we're all surprised by exactly how big stuff like MBMBaM is at this point, et cetera, but there are also a bunch of people for whom Serial is their first podcast, who haven't come from a culture that is very invested in podcasts. People who might not be aware that there is a whole tradition and culture of creating a shitty little podcast with your friends that never amounts to much of anything.

And I think the people in that article are some of them, people without a whole lot of visibility into that world. And when even the bigger podcasts frequently present themselves as scrappy, just a couple of friends trying to make it, it can be easy to think that said world is a lot smaller than it is.

There was an article or something right when it was getting really big that implied that it was the first podcast ever created

So I guess really we're making fun of that

• Options

Because a lot of mainstream press acted like it invented podcasting

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I like pizza

what kind

I like pepperoni and mushroom

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also Serial used some deeply flawed methodology and sensationalized news in some problematic ways, especially as it got increasingly popular

But I guess that's more why people criticize it, not make fun of it

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

You know, we thought it just had roasted garlic on it, like some cloves on top when we first ordered it, expecting a normal pizza. We were wrong but damn if it isn't good and we keep going back for it as like a special pizza.

Otherwise it's just like thin crust pepperoni with extra cheese and bacon from whatever is closest that isn't Pizza Hut.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I only know about Gallagher because of The Simpsons.

I don't think I've ever actually seen him.

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    The worst result of making a podcast or YouTube series, for me, is being successful at it because woops now your life is going to be consumed

I much prefer pointlessly noodling around for roughly three viewers on average

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Sometimes when I smoke too much and fall asleep listening to a Podcast I call that getting Podfaded please come to my talk at Panera about the viability of puns, starting at 3:00, ending whenever the security guards show up again

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So Im a musician. I have long accepted that I will likely not ever make money from song writing and if I do it will probably just be enough to live by with a lot more effort than conventional work.

Yet I still feel compared to start bands and write songs. I don’t just want to write songs for myself. I want to show people and have it matter to people. I crave to give the world something that matters even if it’s just in a small way. That’s pretty much true of any artists I think. Why should it be different for podcasting?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    36498881_409743262866128_870865337216663552_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsdv1-2.fna.fbcdn.net

Would eat

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    A person would eat most anything should they get hungry enough

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I like pizza

what kind

Heck yeah, that’s my favorite topping combo

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    my combo is pepperoni, black olives, bell peppers and mushrooms
    sometimes sausage instead of pepperoni

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I just like cheese, extra cheese is extra better
    I do put hot sauce on it usually tho

• Options

You know, we thought it just had roasted garlic on it, like some cloves on top when we first ordered it, expecting a normal pizza. We were wrong but damn if it isn't good and we keep going back for it as like a special pizza.

Otherwise it's just like thin crust pepperoni with extra cheese and bacon from whatever is closest that isn't Pizza Hut.

Oh I'm sure it works, I just do not like garlic.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    I like pizza

what kind

Heck yeah, that’s my favorite topping combo

Pepperoni sausage and mushroom has been my go to since I was a kid

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    My go to lately has been sausage, bacon, and green pepper

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Green olives on a pizza is 57 times better than black olives

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    I feel like margherita pizzas have ruined me for all others. They just do so much with so little. More toppings feels like a crime, you're basically eating a cheese stew at a certain point.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My go to order is always sausage and green peppers

Maybe some onions too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Green olives on a pizza is 57 times better than black olives

I would extend this to literally any application

Love green olives, can't stand black

• Options
    I feel like margherita pizzas have ruined me for all others. They just do so much with so little. More toppings feels like a crime, you're basically eating a cheese stew at a certain point.

FUCK YES CHEESE STEW

• Options
    Green peppers and onions is one of my favorites

And sausage if I want some meat on there, but honestly I think I might enjoy it more without

This discussion has been closed.