As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge fan of the flashing rainbow RGB effect, but I do appreciate programmable LEDs coming in all sorts of computer components nowadays. I've got white case fans in my build and since it has lightly tinted tempered glass side panels it gives the whole thing a cool (IMO) transparent electronics look without being too bright or distracting.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of the flashing rainbow RGB effect, but I do appreciate programmable LEDs coming in all sorts of computer components nowadays. I've got white case fans in my build and since it has lightly tinted tempered glass side panels it gives the whole thing a cool (IMO) transparent electronics look without being too bright or distracting.

Yea if i can turn my shit purple ill pay for the option.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular

GnomeTank wrote: »
    Incindium wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Ray tracing should not be the reason you are buying an rtx 20x0 gpu. Because that feature performs shit in terms of FPS.

Buy it for the stability if the competitor isn’t .

Also while a 550w psu will get the job done, there’s nothing wrong with wanting some breathing room.

It's should be a factor in my opinion, especially seeing how great its implemented in Control. Yes performance is an fairly large issue but I'm glad to get to experience it now and not wait a couple years.

Yeah Control was a fucking experience, visually. Just absolutely stunning, even with my lowly 2060 OG. 1440p, everything on high, 45+ FPS consistently, 90% of the time over 60 (for a sightseeing title like Control that's just fine).

Spoilered for lolhuge
    sw3km3n0539f.jpg

I will likely be upgrading to the 3XXX nVidia GPU's, as I'm expecting raytracing to really start to become a desirable feature.

Yeah, Control is an incredible show case of ray tracing. I think it also still shows one major weakness: Noise. I played through the entire game with full ray-traced lighting and reflections and the framerates were fine on a 2080 Ti.....but the noise left behind in very dark scenes using the indirect lighting is obvious. It looks incredible standing still but when you move you can see the de-noiser struggling to keep up. I think this is the next major hurdle real-time RT faces: Getting a better de-noiser, possibly a hardware one.

But don't let that take away from how amazing Control looks and how good of an implementation it is. It's the first game with full RTX support where I feel like the tech and the art came together to produce something truly striking.

Yeah, they used a film grain filter to try and cover up the noise, but there's just not a fine enough resolution of rays to make it really smooth.

We'll see it in a generation or two, though. Raytracing is the way forward from here, period, and I think because it can easily be universal that it'll explode and grow much like the shift from 2D to 3D did.

I am currently playing Control on my RTX 2070. I have the two RTX Effects for reflection enabled, because they make the most difference visually IMO. I play on 1440p and use an internal resolution of 1080p which I upscale with DLSS, so I stay on mostly 60 fps. DLSS keeps some details sharper compared to the internal scaler, mostly the dynamic shadows. It might be because I played Gears 5 and Devil May Cry 5 before, but I prefer a sharp rasterized game with a strong art direction to the blurriness and graininess of Control. Some the effects are indeed stunning and I was often afraid of my own reflection walking towards me ;)

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Hey thread, I'm putting together some parts so my nephew can build his own system and i've put together this list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ventedpennies/saved/k6QvWZ

what are your thoughts? recommendations?

He will be gaming on a 32inch TV (so, 1080p is highest we're working with) and keyboard and mouse aren't necessary. He also needs Windows and we are trying to get a system within the $500 ballpark. That's a little over, but I told him I would help cover some of the difference. I'm mostly uncertain about the case and the mobo. Thoughts are appreciated.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Lilnoobs do you have a Microcenter within about a 1-2 hr drive?

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    @Mugsley they have one about an hour from where they live, there's some deals you know about gong on?

• Options
    https://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

Notable: you can increment up the CPU to a 2700 for the same price as what you've picked.

Cases are all over and super subjective. I recommend r/buildapcsales and use the [CASE] filter. Newegg has a good number of cases under $60. Microcenter has at least 3 cases under $60 and may have even more open box, depending on the store.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Hey thread, I'm putting together some parts so my nephew can build his own system and i've put together this list:

He will be gaming on a 32inch TV (so, 1080p is highest we're working with) and keyboard and mouse aren't necessary. He also needs Windows and we are trying to get a system within the $500 ballpark. That's a little over, but I told him I would help cover some of the difference. I'm mostly uncertain about the case and the mobo. Thoughts are appreciated.

I'd switch out the video card for a RX 570. They're cheaper, and the 3GB frame buffer on that 1060 is a limiter even at 1080p. the 570 will do well and save some money off the build.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    wunderbar wrote: »

I'd switch out the video card for a RX 570. They're cheaper, and the 3GB frame buffer on that 1060 is a limiter even at 1080p. the 570 will do well and save some money off the build.
    You could probably also shave off some dollars with a non-M.2 nvme SSD if you want to get it lower in general or to make room for something else.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Okay, i could use some advice dear thread! I'm well due for a new computer. Thing is, frankyl, i've not built one in an age, and i've got little idea where to go/what. Also, i live in New Zealand and tech prices SUCK here.

This is what i'm currently working with. I'm pretty happy just salvaging the graphics card from this for now, since that's one of the major price point ouchies.

Processor Information:
    CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
    CPU Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU Family: 0x6
    CPU Model: 0x3c
    CPU Stepping: 0x3
    CPU Type: 0x0
    Speed: 3392 Mhz
    8 logical processors
    4 physical processors
    HyperThreading: Supported
    FCMOV: Supported
    SSE2: Supported
    SSE3: Supported
    SSSE3: Supported
    SSE4a: Unsupported
    SSE41: Supported
    SSE42: Supported
    AES: Supported
    AVX: Supported
    CMPXCHG16B: Supported
    LAHF/SAHF: Supported
    PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Video Card:
    Driver: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    DirectX Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll
    Driver Version: 24.21.13.9882
    DirectX Driver Version: 24.21.13.9882
    Driver Date: 7 30 2018
    OpenGL Version: 4.6
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    VendorID: 0x10de
    DeviceID: 0x1c02
    Revision: 0xa1
    Number of Monitors: 2
    Number of Logical Video Cards: 2
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 1080
    Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 15.00" (30.55" diag)
    67.7cm x 38.1cm (77.6cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 3071 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
    Audio device: Speakers (2- Realtek High Defin

Memory:
    RAM: 8090 Mb

I'd like to upgrade to having at lest 32 gigs of ram, because 8 gigs is not cutting it. My main goals would be a machine i'm streaming and gaming with, so i do want something with grunt. But cost is also an issue (Pricespy is the best way to get a feel for prices here in NZ, if you want some comparison points).

So... advice? Suggestions on where to start on figuring this stuff out?

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Hop a flight over to Shenzhen and buy your stuff there? I wouldn't focus on 32gb of ram if you could use that money to get a better video card. 16 is plenty for most people and you can always add more ram later.

Does pcpartpicker.com speak kiwi?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Hop a flight over to Shenzhen and buy your stuff there? I wouldn't focus on 32gb of ram if you could use that money to get a better video card. 16 is plenty for most people and you can always add more ram later.

Does pcpartpicker.com speak kiwi?

Well, that first part sounds terrifying. It does, i'll have to explore the site. Thanks for the advice =)

• Options
    edited September 2019
    If you're willing to deal with the secondary market, you can likely pick up a first-gen Ryzen and Mobo (and maybe RAM) for a reasonable price.

Otherwise, try checking out different form factors. Micro-ATX boards rarely skimp on important features anymore. They've basically become ATX boards with fewer SATA and PCIe x16 slots. You may potentially sacrifice a few USB ports on the back of the board (...3-4), but that is relatively easy to work around.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Okay, i could use some advice dear thread! I'm well due for a new computer. Thing is, frankyl, i've not built one in an age, and i've got little idea where to go/what. Also, i live in New Zealand and tech prices SUCK here.

This is what i'm currently working with. I'm pretty happy just salvaging the graphics card from this for now, since that's one of the major price point ouchies.

Processor Information:
    8 logical processors
    4 physical processors

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Video Card:

Sound card:

Memory:

I'd like to upgrade to having at lest 32 gigs of ram, because 8 gigs is not cutting it. My main goals would be a machine i'm streaming and gaming with, so i do want something with grunt. But cost is also an issue (Pricespy is the best way to get a feel for prices here in NZ, if you want some comparison points).

A i7-4770 and a 1060 doesn't seem that old/slow to me, just get a other 8gb of ram?
    Honestly unless you're getting ryzen 2 I don't really see a reason to upgrade this build right now

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

Processor Information:
    8 logical processors
    4 physical processors

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Video Card:

Sound card:

Memory:

If you want to stream and game, and don't want to break the bank, unfortunately the 4770 ain't gonna cut it anymore. If streaming were off the table I would say you could wait another year for AMD to figure their shit out with their newest platform by just getting a new video card (that you could bring over to your new PC) and another 8 gigs of RAM (which would be wasted money in a year, but not too much wasted money). Edit: or even hold off on a new video card, as Hardtarget is suggesting.

But since you want to stream, that means a new CPU, which means new basically everything.

If you're on a budget and want to stream, the previous generation Ryzen 2700 is an 8 core beast of a processor that can be had for less than the current generation 6 core equivalent (< $200 US). Pairs well with a B450 (around $100 US). Worse gaming performance, but you get two more physical cores, which is useful when you need to be doing work like encoding video while you're streaming.

I don't stream, but in reviews I've read, you basically want 8 cores if you intend to stream and game without restrictions on either. 6 cores can be marginal for streaming, but is great if you're pure gaming (in pure gaming higher clocks and 4 cores is the current winner. I expect that to slowly change moving forward). More than that is overkill unless you have a particular need (e.g. software video encoding). Maybe someone else can give you better advice here, but that's my thinking since streaming is out of my experience.

Given you're talking a 4770, you're looking at basically a full system rebuild--after 6 years it's probably time for a new PSU since analog components wear out and need to be replaced. New CPU, new motherboard, new RAM, new PSU. Can keep the case if you want, though cases have actually improved in ergonomics should you feel like dropping the dosh. The video card is a similar deal: you can keep it if you want, but if you end up with a 2700 or similar, it will become the bottleneck (whereas right now I bet the CPU is the bottleneck--it was for me a month ago). Similarly, your existing SSDs/HDDs can be brought over, but NVME is actually pretty nice

A lot ultimately depends on your requirements, your budget, and what tradeoffs you're willing to make if your budget is less than $3500. Because for $3500 you can basically buy top-of-the-line everything and have it all for way too much money.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    A i7-4770 and a 1060 doesn't seem that old/slow to me, just get a other 8gb of ram?
    Honestly unless you're getting ryzen 2 I don't really see a reason to upgrade this build right now

Streaming. A 4770 ain't gonna stream for shit if you're trying to game without hitches.

Orca on
  • Options
    Depending on details of the current PSU, I'm willing to debate about needing to replace it. Also various info/data software (HWInfo, CPU-Z, etc) can give you power info to see if the supply is actually starting to fade.

If the PSU is a reputable brand, it doesn't need to be replaced.

I fully understand your perspective, and I understand that was a qualified, "if you're doing this, you may as well do that" scenario. Also, newer chips are more power efficient, so there's less of a need/requirement for a new power supply when you upgrade.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Depending on details of the current PSU, I'm willing to debate about needing to replace it. Also various info/data software (HWInfo, CPU-Z, etc) can give you power info to see if the supply is actually starting to fade.

If the PSU is a reputable brand, it doesn't need to be replaced.

I fully understand your perspective, and I understand that was a qualified, "if you're doing this, you may as well do that" scenario. Also, newer chips are more power efficient, so there's less of a need/requirement for a new power supply when you upgrade.

I'm also fairly risk intolerant, so de-rate my opinions accordingly when it comes to things like that.

• Options
    *pats 750W PSU that worked solid for 10 years straight*

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

You could probably also shave off some dollars with a non-M.2 nvme SSD if you want to get it lower in general or to make room for something else.

The price delta there is pretty trivial or even non-existent these days, especially compared with low-spec QLC NAND Flash NVMEs like the 660p. You're not likely to get a new 500Gb SSD for a whole lot less than $60, especially not one with a good warranty like the Intel has.

• Options
    yeah a PSU will work great until it doesn't. If it's still working, there is zero need to get a new one with a new build unless you're re purposing the old build. I'm on my second PSU since 2005.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    This is sounding like that for my current needs, just slapping more ram int oym computer as a stopgap while i save/develop a better plan for a new computer would be the best approach. Any advice on what sort of ram to get, given what i posted up thread?

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    This is sounding like that for my current needs, just slapping more ram int oym computer as a stopgap while i save/develop a better plan for a new computer would be the best approach. Any advice on what sort of ram to get, given what i posted up thread?

I'd need some more information on your motherboard and current RAM (brands/models) in order to figure out what RAM you should buy. Can you run CPU-Z (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) and see if that gives you some more information about them?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what's the unique selling point of the newest Radeons? Why would one buy them instead of an RTX or a 1080?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    They are a bit cheaper and either just as good or scale a bit better at higher resolutions. If you want absolute bleeding edge and money is not object then the 2080s are your boy but in the mortal price range it gets a bit more "do I want to pay a raytrace premium for an immature (at this point) tech?"

To put it another way, Radeon doesn't really go in for "look at our sweet proprietary tech that's only going to be used in a handful of games! Physx Smoke!" but they do make cards that work and are ok to good for the price. (Insert individual driver horror stories here but I've never had a problem that I could pin on the driver)

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    what's the unique selling point of the newest Radeons? Why would one buy them instead of an RTX or a 1080?

the 5700 XT has better performance than the same priced RTX card, but does not feature ray tracing. If you don't feel you need Ray Tracing, the 5700 XT is a better buy.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Whatever fits your CPU. If in doubt, Micron's Crucial's site will help you figure it out. I wouldn't bother spending more for higher performing RAM at this point--just more of whatever speed/timings you've got currently running. You'll be paying a bit of a price premium since it's the old stuff, but I doubt it's that bad.

Orca on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    cautiously optimistic but 19.9.2 has been relatively stable for me. No crashes or BSOD's but I've also only been playing WOW and F1 2019.
    It was crashing with F1 so there's progress :)

had a weird fan curve issue where the game was keeping the GPU in a certain range of temps workload wise which was on the threshold of 2 very different RPM's but I fixed that with a custom curve.

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Hello thread.
    Looking to start my first solo build project- last time I did this was with a knowledgeable friend, and like eight years ago.
    It's primarily for audio work, but I wanted to throw a decent video card in there as well. Below is my parts list, I'm mostly just looking for a quick review to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid mismatching connectors or buying things that won't fit in the case together. Any guidance is much appreciated!

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 570 (8GB)

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4

SSD1: SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500GB

SSD2: Crucial MX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

Power Supply: EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W,

Case: CORSAIR Carbide Series 275Q Mid-Tower

Fan: Fractal Design Cooler FD-WCU-CELSIUS-S24-BK

Snork on
  • Options
    Snork wrote: »
    Hello thread.
    Looking to start my first solo build project- last time I did this was with a knowledgeable friend, and like eight years ago.
    It's primarily for audio work, but I wanted to throw a decent video card in there as well. Below is my parts list, I'm mostly just looking for a quick review to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid mismatching connectors or buying things that won't fit in the case together. Any guidance is much appreciated!

GPU: Radeon RX 570 (8GB)

1. I would be tempted to get an RX 580 rather than the 570.
    2. Which RAM kit exactly, and is it on the QVL for the board? (https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570 Steel Legend/index.asp#MemoryMS)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Hello thread.

GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 570 (8GB)

If at all possible, 2x16Gb will usually work better than 4x8Gb sticks. I'd also echo the advice to at least consider an RX 580, the price delta isn't much.

Otherwise that is an extremely nice looking rig that should serve you well for a long time. Does the motherboard have all the audio outputs that you'll need or are you going to use some kind of additional sound card?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I need help friends, on a themed build (Skaven of Warhammer fame) would you folks buy a

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
    nnr3ikmoc1bb.jpg

Or an ASRock X570 Taichi
    byd9p56gk1v5.jpg

I was leaning toward the Taichi because of that gear theming seemed nice and analog, but there are a number of features I'd stretch for on the Aorus, namely 2.5 gig ethernet, quad channel memory (for potential futureproofing), and a stronger warranty. Going to get it shipped to the border, because even with the conversion a Taichi is $700 CAD, or $300 USD, and that is just super duper turbo fucked.

Only $500 CAD, which isn't as bad. But the Aorus master is the same cost here. So maybe buying from a Canadian retailer isn't a bad idea, but the question between the boards still stands. Modify the Aorus to fit the theme, or use the Taichi.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Is it still cheaper in Canada after you add 9000 sales tax?

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

2. Which RAM kit exactly, and is it on the QVL for the board? (https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570 Steel Legend/index.asp#MemoryMS)
    V1m wrote: »

If at all possible, 2x16Gb will usually work better than 4x8Gb sticks. I'd also echo the advice to at least consider an RX 580, the price delta isn't much.

Otherwise that is an extremely nice looking rig that should serve you well for a long time. Does the motherboard have all the audio outputs that you'll need or are you going to use some kind of additional sound card?
    Appreciate the responses.
    I can definitely spring for the 580.
    I have an external audio interface, so nothing to worry about there with regard to the motherboard.
    As far as the RAM goes, the 4x8GB is listed on the QVL sheet, as is the 2x16GB, but both have version numbers next to the serial that don't appear to be listed on the Amazon/NewEgg pages I'm looking at. Can I just assume that anything currently being sold is of the requisite version, or do I have to do a bit more digging?
    Thanks again!

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Is it still cheaper in Canada after you add 9000 sales tax?

Lol, 500 includes the GST (in AB it's only 5%), which I would still have to pay crossing the border any way. It would be a savings to get the Taichi in the US, but only by about $35, not including said tax. Basically a wash, and I'd have very little recourse if something didn't go correctly.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

V1m wrote: »

Appreciate the responses.
    I can definitely spring for the 580.
    I have an external audio interface, so nothing to worry about there with regard to the motherboard.
    As far as the RAM goes, the 4x8GB is listed on the QVL sheet, as is the 2x16GB, but both have version numbers next to the serial that don't appear to be listed on the Amazon/NewEgg pages I'm looking at. Can I just assume that anything currently being sold is of the requisite version, or do I have to do a bit more digging?
    Thanks again!

If you search for the model number (not the ver 3.whatever) on newegg it should come up.

E.g. https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236545?Description=CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16 &amp;cm_re=CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16-_-20-236-545-_-Product

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Is there a risk of wiping my drive if I switch the boot from legacy+uefi to just uefi?

Looking for ways to speed up the time it takes to post. Takes about 20 seconds to post on a nvme m.2 ssd, whereas my previous build with a sata ssd was a lot quicker

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    I need help friends, on a themed build (Skaven of Warhammer fame) would you folks buy a

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
    nnr3ikmoc1bb.jpg

Or an ASRock X570 Taichi
    byd9p56gk1v5.jpg

I was leaning toward the Taichi because of that gear theming seemed nice and analog, but there are a number of features I'd stretch for on the Aorus, namely 2.5 gig ethernet, quad channel memory (for potential futureproofing), and a stronger warranty. Going to get it shipped to the border, because even with the conversion a Taichi is $700 CAD, or $300 USD, and that is just super duper turbo fucked.

Only $500 CAD, which isn't as bad. But the Aorus master is the same cost here. So maybe buying from a Canadian retailer isn't a bad idea, but the question between the boards still stands. Modify the Aorus to fit the theme, or use the Taichi.
    FYI the asrock Taichung runs a lot hotter than the gigabyte

From memory the lowest to highest temp boards for x570 are
    Gigabyte/asus
    Msi godlike and ace
    Asrock

Apparently the msi boards under the ace are shit and to be avoided.

Pretty sure hardware unboxed recently did a video comparing all the x570 boards

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8BVTHxc4LM

Digital Foundry guys having a great time playing new games on CRTs. Honestly I'd be tempted to try it for myself if I had the desk space.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

This discussion has been closed.