As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    to be clear "gamers" are garbage pissbabies

pip you know I would never call you a gamer

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    to be clear "gamers" are garbage pissbabies

pip I wish you would stop calling me a gamer

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just me, but afaik "freeloader" is a derogatory term, and the "and we love it" does not really change that

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It sounds real bad out of context, say, in a headline.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    All my loads are free baybee

• Options
    in context it reads fine to me, you have to go out of your way to remove the parenthetical to make it sound bad

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My loads are all payloads.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Apex has had a monetization problem for awhile, they didn't come out of the gate with any good idea on how to make money and their battle pass attempts have largely been underwhelming, this whole situation isn't really surprising at all.

Both from a "they fucked up trying to extract money from people and pushed too far," and "Gamers have the most powerful 'I want to speak to your manager' energy on the planet"

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul
    is super excited about Startopia.

Registered User regular
    is super excited about Startopia.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Freeloaders?

Its a free to play game. What do they mean?

"There is a wealth of data on how monetization works in free to play games, and we ourselves have run tests by putting skins on sale in the store. The amount of people who spend is crazy low, most of y'all are free loaders (and we love that!) and a change in price doesn't move the needle."

The meaning is clear if you're not a self important Gamer desperate to get outraged over something

I think this situation was very clearly a perfect storm of a toxic culture that was already charged by a bad move on the team. It wasn't like the Ooblets thing where the fucking sin of the developer was to just literally tell the truth. Apex put out a really gross exploitative update (like, single items costing hundreds of dollars), and while they technically rolled some of it back and apologized, it was done half-heartedly.

As a dev, you simply shouldn't walk into that situation in the community (or really interact with them at all). That's what community managers are for. You can't just waltz in and take a couple of hits and then start calling people ass-hats. It's a charged environment already, because people feel like you're taking advantage of them.

Like, are f2p players technically freeloaders? Sure, and no one who isn't a giant baby should get mad at being called that. But on the heels of the game taking a super huge swift dive into "You're a freeloader unless you pay $170 for this cosmetic axe", it probably feels more like being told to fuck off.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Rocket League needs an "avoid this player and send them recommendations for local therapists" feature

as does Overwatch

...probably any game where people get to communicate

Overwatch had this on release but people used it on good Widowmakers. It took forever for any high ranking Widowmaker main to find a match.

I maintain that the correct response to this was to remove Widowmaker

My hot take is that no multiplayer shooter has ever been improved by the inclusion of snipers

• Options
    both gaming press and game dev pr have a huge problem where toxic gaming culture actively make it more difficult to express legitimate criticism

like, that polygon headline is bad but I super don't want to be part of the chorus railing against "game journalism"

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    both gaming press and game dev pr have a huge problem where toxic gaming culture actively make it more difficult to express legitimate criticism

like, that polygon headline is bad but I super don't want to be part of the chorus railing against "game journalism"

In causing developers to withdraw from interacting with the community, the lack of interaction also feeds into the sentiment that player feedback is being ignored even when it's not toxic, exacerbating the problem further. (see: the WoW team)

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Your martial arts are no match for the power of rock 🤘

• Options
    I feel like SoR4's aesthetic being built around rock instead of club music is throwing away a huge part of the original trilogy's appeal

• Options
    Out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_n5FFPrZuI

FIGHTCRAB (EARLY ACCESS)
    Welcome to Crab Fight.
    A new 3D action game where you take control of a crab, and fight off other giant enemy crabs.

In this far-off world,
    These crabs were granted ultimate strength and intelligence from the generous gods. Using their newfound strength and wit, they armed themselves with human weapons of the finest calibur, and took control of the lands. Immortal beings of unrelenting horror, they cannot be killed with swords or even guns.

However, there is only one principle fact that rules these lands; “Those who are flipped onto their shells, shall be cooked into a crab cake, or mouth-watering rangoon.”

Yes,yes...Crabs who have embarrassingly been flipped over onto their shells will have no choice but to submit to the pot.

You are a crab. Aiming to be the best around, you embark on a world tour to flip as many crabs as possible.

This is an early access release. While this version of fight crab includes 19 crab species and 41 weapons to choose from, the number of playable features may increase in future versions. At the time of release the early access version of Fight Crab will be updated to a full retail version of the game.

https://neonusso.itch.io/fight-crab

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It seems pretty fucked up for the crabs to be cooking and eating eachother but I suppose they are immortal beings of unrelenting horror

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    fuck everything else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCfuZSEFzIg

this is the shit you've been waiting for to upgrade to a $1200 GPU!
    I'm only half joking

• Options
    That looks nice, although I'm not sure I'm a fan of how the color saturation changes with the lighting. No idea if that is inherent to ray tracing or if you could tone that down on the dev side.

Either way, nvidia's pricing has gotten way out of hand, so nooooo thank you. My 1070 is doing just fine, thanks

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Also, the raytracing stuff is actually a part of a brand new rendering engine they're bolting into the game, so should be neat and a pretty big step from when notch stole from Zachtronics birthed the game entirely from his genius mind.

• Options
    ]\
    Zxerol wrote: »
    fuck everything else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCfuZSEFzIg

this is the shit you've been waiting for to upgrade to a $1200 GPU!
    I'm only half joking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekG2q_eYCAM

it's interesting since there are already some ray tracing effects homebrewers have added to minecraft

• Options
    It seems pretty fucked up for the crabs to be cooking and eating eachother but I suppose they are immortal beings of unrelenting horror

Crabs will eat nearly anything, up to and including eachother. I'm sure if they knew how to cook they would realize how tasty they are steamed and it would just become a total free-for-all.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Crabs will eat nearly anything, up to and including eachother. I'm sure if they knew how to cook they would realize how tasty they are steamed and it would just become a total free-for-all.

much like... humans

• Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options

blasphemous is coming out september 10th!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That Big Good Hat game better not suck

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fun fact. I still get messages from people who downloaded the Star Trek outfits I made for the original Startopia.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

chaos in the windy city of sin

gamescom news overload

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Dates from the linked article:
    August 19

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (Xbox Game Pass for PC, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate)
    The iconic real-time strategy game returns with all-new 4K visuals, 8-person multiplayer battles and a host of other new features bringing together all the officially released content. Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is the complete RTS package

Devil May Cry 5 (Xbox Game Pass for Console, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate)
    The devil you know returns. From the creators of the best-selling action franchise comes the latest chapter in the Devil May Cry saga. Prepare to get downright demonic in the most over the top, technically advanced, utterly insane action experience of this gaming generation!

Stellaris (Xbox Game Pass for Console, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, and coming soon to Xbox Game Pass for PC)
    Featuring deep strategic gameplay, with rich and diverse alien races and emergent storytelling, Stellaris puts the complexity of the galaxy in your hands. Whether you’re exploring the unknown, discovering the mysteries of the universe, or conquering it for the glory of your empire, you now have more inter-galactic strategy awaiting you than ever before.

August 22

Ape Out (Xbox Game Pass for PC, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate)
    In this wild, colorfully stylized smash‘em up about primal escape and frenetic jazz, build up nearly unstoppable momentum and use your captors to your advantage as you crush everyone on your path to freedom. Embrace bold colors, use the rhythm of jazz in the chaos to guide you and take on a dazzling perspective as you rush through tight corridors, open areas, and twisting labyrinths on a mad dash for freedom.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance (Xbox Game Pass for Console, Xbox Game Pass for PC, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate)
    A story-driven open-world RPG that immerses you in an epic adventure in the Holy Roman Empire. Avenge your parents’ death as you battle invading forces, go on game-changing quests, and make influential choices. Explore majestic castles, deep forests, thriving villages and countless other realistic settings in medieval Bohemia.

August 27

Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut (Xbox Game Pass for Console, Xbox Game Pass for PC, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate)
    The triumphant return of one of the most iconic RPG series of all-time. Delve into a tactically rich combat system that rewards creativity, solve puzzles to gain treasure and advantages, and discover a beautifully crafted world.

August 30

Blair Witch (Xbox Game Pass for Console, Xbox Game Pass for PC, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate)

A young boy disappears in the Black Hills Forest near Burkittsville, Maryland. As Ellis, a former police officer with a troubled past, you join the search. What starts as an ordinary investigation soon turns into an endless nightmare as you confront your fears and the Blair Witch, a mysterious force that haunts the woods…
    And as a preview of what’s coming for September, we also announced that Dead Cells (Xbox Game Pass for Console, Xbox Game Pass for PC, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate) is coming September 5!

Perrsun on
  • Options
    I don't see Control on there. I could swear they announced that? That's unfortunate

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I don't see Control on there. I could swear they announced that? That's unfortunate

Sony has the marketing deal with Control (Destiny style "exclusive content" and content appearing on the PS4 first) so I'd be surprised if Sony would have let them gamepass it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The idea of Startopia getting a sequel in 2019 is both bonkers and oddly worrisome for me

I loved that first game so much and put so much time into it, I'm afraid if it's not as good I'll be struck with an even greater ennui

Plus Evil Genius 2, another forthcoming sequel to a similarly beloved game from my youth, seems almost indistinguishable from the first, but this new Startopia is visually very different

My heart doesn't know what to do!!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    now... if someone were to do a proper remake of dungeon keeper...

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Got Startopia mixed up with Startropics and was flabbergasted for a moment.

This discussion has been closed.