As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ghost Leviathan is more of a sentient game boundry than a creature.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Out today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbWsmc1OhOg

It's a game where you play as Ophelia from Hamlet, but you're also in a Groundhog day scenario, so you can use your temporal foreknowledge to change the outcome of the story.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/23/elsinore-is-hamlet-from-the-perspective-of-a-time-travelling-ophelia-out-now/

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Also Moonlighter's first big DLC is out today:

Jul 23 - Moonlighter DLC

And Prey is on a big sale:

RQQxgW3.png

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/277639/

Brolo on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Well shoot, I don't know when I'll actually have time to get to it, but I did just grab Prey.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Tamin wrote: »
    there's definitely something weird about the AI behind the leviathans

I saw a Ghost Leviathan on the near side of the crater edge and took the opportunity to attack it. After each pass, it retreated farther in, towards the shallows. And, like the reapers before it, got stuck. In possibly the same place? I don't know what that's about.

the leviathans aren't really meant to be combat challenges, they're things to deal with. Sometimes that might mean just fighting them, but there's really no reason to do it. I really enjoy that there is zero mechanical reward for killing anything in the game other than food, from the fish you can eat. You don't harvest materials, you don't get experience. The game never rewards combat other than "i had to do this or i was going to die"

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah I didn't ever actually kill anything other than the fish you get for food or water. All the reapers and smaller threats I just avoided or ran from.

The game doesn't give you any sort of actual deliberately lethal weapon, and that's something I really loved about it. Even your knife is for survival first and foremost, not combat.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    That's fair. And if there was another way to drive them off permanently* I would take that instead. On hardcore I just can't discount the constant threat of accidentally wandering into one of their ill-defined hunting grounds. Too many lost seamoths and at least one restart.

I mean, maybe the creature decoys are more powerful that I'm assuming; I haven't actually looked into them. There's also been something else to build.

* assuming of course, that killing them is permanent.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    yeah the most interesting thing about the tech is if they have a good way of doing incremental scaling for gpu/cpu demand

is it a separate graphics processor dedicated per user? or is there some novel way of distributing an arbitrary amount of shader cores from multiple processors simultaneously, so they can dynamically split the load between them?

i've never heard of any way to do the latter option for something that requires low latency like gaming, it would fuck with all kinds of instruction timings and result in a massive amount of wasted cycles

but buying massive amounts of graphics processors also seems like it couldn't possibly scale economically, particularly as last-year's GPUs go out of date and need to be replaced across the board
    Rendering is in general embarrassingly parallelizable, though significantly less so for games since there's dependencies on user input.

There was an earlier article mentioning a lot of work they were doing with dynamic compression and decoding in ways that actually work better for games than fixed media. I suspect they're also doing a lot of input/ path prediction similar to what online shooters have done for a long time to make latency feel less bad, combined with possibly prerendering some of the more likely frames depending on load and then sending the one that ends up being the real result to the client.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So I just had the most awkward, messed up situation I've ever created in a game of Crusader Kings 2.

spoiled for long/screenshots
    For starters, this is my ruler. He's pretty awesome. Genius, brilliant strategist, brave, won multiple duels. He's great at everything except intrigue, but he's got people for that. He's a bit stressed though, which is giving him penalties to all of his abilities.
    GyYGyFxh.png

This is my grandson. The heir of my heir, second in line for the throne. He's... alright I guess. Awesome general, but not great at everything else.
    vIGWAil.png

So, he needs a good wife to help him rule. in CK2 you can arrange betrothals for members of your family if they're not old enough to marry just yet, and this is usually a good idea because if you wait until they come of age all the good options are usually taken. Luckily I was able to find someone awesome in my own court:
    aUvQbH3.png
    Helez is great - another genius, awesome diplomacy, good intrigue. Granted, she is 8 years older than Mehrzad but whatever, it's the 900s.

There is one other problem though...
    31XZRTC.png
    She's been my ruler's mistress for years now. They've already got one illegitimate child,
    iCAIUmT.png
    and another on the way.

To clarify: when my ruler's grandson was about 12 I went looking for suitable betrothals and found an awesome candidate... who was already having an affair with my ruler. So I betrothed my grandson to my mistress. I then stopped playing for the night, and promptly forgot all about it. The next day, played some more, and the game popped up an announcement that my mistress was pregnant. "Oh cool," I thought "maybe I'll get a genius bastard that I can make an awesome general or something". Then, less than a month later, my grandson turns 16 and the game prompts me to formalize the marriage, which I do. It's only then I realize what I've done: my grandson's new wife is pregnant with my ruler's kid.

Ah well, nothing to be done about it now. When my ruler's first illegitimate kid was born the game gave me a choice of how to handle it - acknowledge and legitimize, acknowledge but not legitimize, or just pretend it wasn't mine. I went with acknowledge but not legitimize because I already had 3 sons and didn't want to have to split things 4 ways on succession. This time though... if the kid turns out to be another genius I might try to just pretend it's my grandson's kid, because then he'd be next in line for the throne and that would be a great future ruler.

So I unpause the game, lets see how the next 8 months play out.

2UHyEtM.png
    Well, shit.

Turns out without the ruler that fathered the child alive to make the decision, the game just defaults to acknowledging and legitimizing the bastard. So my new Shah has a new baby half-brother, and his son's wife is raising his father's child.

This fucking game.

Crusader Kings 2 is real good y'all

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    My current ruler is an immortal mountain witch fighting back repeated invasions from China

What happens to most immortal rulers is that you lose body parts one by one but I've been trying to avoid that

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    So I just had the most awkward, messed up situation I've ever created in a game of Crusader Kings 2.

For starters, this is my ruler. He's pretty awesome. Genius, brilliant strategist, brave, won multiple duels. He's great at everything except intrigue, but he's got people for that. He's a bit stressed though, which is giving him penalties to all of his abilities.
    GyYGyFxh.png

This is my grandson. The heir of my heir, second in line for the throne. He's... alright I guess. Awesome general, but not great at everything else.
    vIGWAil.png

So, he needs a good wife to help him rule. in CK2 you can arrange betrothals for members of your family if they're not old enough to marry just yet, and this is usually a good idea because if you wait until they come of age all the good options are usually taken. Luckily I was able to find someone awesome in my own court:
    aUvQbH3.png
    Helez is great - another genius, awesome diplomacy, good intrigue. Granted, she is 8 years older than Mehrzad but whatever, it's the 900s.

31XZRTC.png
    She's been my ruler's mistress for years now. They've already got one illegitimate child,
    iCAIUmT.png
    and another on the way.

To clarify: when my ruler's grandson was about 12 I went looking for suitable betrothals and found an awesome candidate... who was already having an affair with my ruler. So I betrothed my grandson to my mistress. I then stopped playing for the night, and promptly forgot all about it. The next day, played some more, and the game popped up an announcement that my mistress was pregnant. "Oh cool," I thought "maybe I'll get a genius bastard that I can make an awesome general or something". Then, less than a month later, my grandson turns 16 and the game prompts me to formalize the marriage, which I do. It's only then I realize what I've done: my grandson's new wife is pregnant with my ruler's kid.

Ah well, nothing to be done about it now. When my ruler's first illegitimate kid was born the game gave me a choice of how to handle it - acknowledge and legitimize, acknowledge but not legitimize, or just pretend it wasn't mine. I went with acknowledge but not legitimize because I already had 3 sons and didn't want to have to split things 4 ways on succession. This time though... if the kid turns out to be another genius I might try to just pretend it's my grandson's kid, because then he'd be next in line for the throne and that would be a great future ruler.

2UHyEtM.png
    Well, shit.

Turns out without the ruler that fathered the child alive to make the decision, the game just defaults to acknowledging and legitimizing the bastard. So my new Shah has a new baby half-brother, and his son's wife is raising his father's child.

This fucking game.

"Died of severe stress" - yeah, geez, I wonder why he was stressed.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    That's fair. And if there was another way to drive them off permanently* I would take that instead. On hardcore I just can't discount the constant threat of accidentally wandering into one of their ill-defined hunting grounds. Too many lost seamoths and at least one restart.

I mean, maybe the creature decoys are more powerful that I'm assuming; I haven't actually looked into them. There's also been something else to build.

* assuming of course, that killing them is permanent.

Do you have the Perimeter Defense System for the Seamoth? That's my main leviathan repellent. Just pop it off right after they make their attack roar and then give it a second jolt as soon as it recharges just to be sure. I don't think I've ever gotten significantly damaged by a leviathan with that equipped.

Now Bone Sharks are just relentless assholes who will not take the hint.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQPnurFy1Kc
    ah man I was able to kinda treat this as an abstract thing until I saw day9 crying himself

ah crap okay I gotta turn this off, I'm getting misty eyed at work

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    As an aside, I appreciate that Day9 is willing to show himself crying and having an emotional response to this.

• Options
    I love Day9 and if he ever becomes a proper milkshake duck I will lose all faith in humanity

I watched all his starcraft stuff, from Brood War through SC2, and his genuine honest and openness to his own failings and emotions and growth was consistently uplifting.

god I only had a small amount of interactions with Geoff (via the charity stuff) but I still feel devastated. How the people close to him must feel just leaves me at a loss for further words.

• Options

GyYGyFxh.png

vIGWAil.png

aUvQbH3.png

31XZRTC.png
    iCAIUmT.png
    and another on the way.

2UHyEtM.png
    Well, shit.

This fucking game.

this reminds me of the time I, Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, had my most promising son and heir become a leper at the age of 15. He's a genius, got mad skills and is generally awesome. But I can't afford to have my heir die young, so I send him off to become a monk and start working on my next child- my daughter.

Fast forward 8 years and the current Pope dies. I check to see who the new Pope is and...

it's my son

my fucking genius leper son became Pope at the age of 21.

Meanwhile my daughter and new heir has conquered all of Spain and North Africa for me, and is leading campaigns into Britain as well.

That was a good HRE campaign.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

GyYGyFxh.png

vIGWAil.png

aUvQbH3.png

31XZRTC.png
    iCAIUmT.png
    and another on the way.

2UHyEtM.png
    Well, shit.

This fucking game.

this reminds me of the time I, Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, had my most promising son and heir become a leper at the age of 15. He's a genius, got mad skills and is generally awesome. But I can't afford to have my heir die young, so I send him off to become a monk and start working on my next child- my daughter.

Fast forward 8 years and the current Pope dies. I check to see who the new Pope is and...

it's my son

my fucking genius leper son became Pope at the age of 21.

Meanwhile my daughter and new heir has conquered all of Spain and North Africa for me, and is leading campaigns into Britain as well.

That was a good HRE campaign.

I like to imagine your empress found this out by just like, calling him up

"Hey son, I haven't heard from you in a while, just wanted to check everything was okay - You're THE WHAT?!?"

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    "The Bishop of where?! The Vicar of who?!

• Options
    I just forgot he even existed until I found out he was the pope. Didn't even notice he'd become a bishop and then cardinal

he had a bonkers high Learning skill, so it's no wonder he got in favour with the clergy. because I was his mother I had +100 to his opinion in addition to all my other bonuses, so I basically got to petition him for anything and used that to consolidate my empire and make viceroyalties of everything (thanks to asking him for divine claims on duchies). It set me up for an amazingly well-run empire, with loyal viceroyals and growing economies everywhere. Truly the one time the church actually did something useful in my CK2 runs, lol

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Humble Hooked on Multiplayer Bundle 2019

cdtuos0a4q6d.jpg

$1:
    • Think of the Children
    • INVERSUS Deluxe
    • Death Squared
    $7:
    • Totally Accurate Battlegrounds
    • Super Animal Royale
    • Barony
    $12:
    • Killing Floor 2 Digital Deluxe Edition
    • Deathgarden: BLOODHARVEST

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Re: surge 2. In the first one The combat felt not great and the area designs were mostly boring but it had the gameplay loop of going far enough to find a ladder to kick down and open a shortcut over and over again which I think is the most satisfying part of souls games to me so I'll probably play the sequel

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Big Bethesda sale for QuakeCon: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/quakeconsale/

Rage 2 50% off, Fallout 4 GOTY edition for $15, DOOM for $6.59, and more

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Big Bethesda sale for QuakeCon: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/quakeconsale/
    Rage 2 50% off, Fallout 4 GOTY edition for $15, DOOM for $6.59, and more
    Just a note: In case you are a Monthly Bundle subscriber, the Humble Store is running a similar sale and you get an additional 20% off.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Out today!

Jul 23 - Tetris Effect

Epic Game Store exclusive, for now

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    God, everything about this game looks entirely like my kinda shit

https://youtu.be/qgOPamv4rj4

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hmmm. Fantasy Native Americans...

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    a game by spiders

• Options
    focus home / spiders is getting so close

Mars: War Logs
    Bound by Flame
    The Technomancer

like those were all ambitious but uneven games

I wonder if this one will be their breakout hit

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Nice that's it's a fantasy game with only historical inspiration. I want more weird-ass fantasy stuff.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

Yeah, elves as a stand in for an indigenous people is a real fraught feeling choice

Especially from a European developer

Straightzi on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Fallout 4 GOTY edition for $15

ah shit

that might be low enough for me to cave

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Taurens?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    A few indies that are under development:

Tribes of Midgard, a 10 player coop survival game where you're being chased by giants

Weakless, a Brothers like puzzle adventure game where you swap between a blind character and a deaf character

Savior, A 2D platformer parkour action game with spear fighting

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Out today!

Jul 23 - Tetris Effect

Epic Game Store exclusive, for now

Whoops.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    uhhhhxcuse me that's clearly staff-fighting

also that looks like a mock-up of what they want gameplay to look like rather than real gameplay to me but hopefully they can match that vision with their final product

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    uhhhhxcuse me that's clearly staff-fighting

also that looks like a mock-up of what they want gameplay to look like rather than real gameplay to me but hopefully they can match that vision with their final product

well they have some sort of idea for a control scheme

but yeah I don't know how you turn some of this into consistent gameplay

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    lol at the steamvr

I'm reading the comments, and seems they could of used OpenVR (Also valve made) instead of SteamVR.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    That doesn't look fun to try and do but if its not required then its cool that you could actually do it

I'd probably rather just jump over those dudes and hit them in the butt

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    That doesn't look fun to try and do but if its not required then its cool that you could actually do it

I'd probably rather just jump over those dudes and hit them in the butt

i think it would be cool to get a game where you could actually do highly choreographed fantasy melee fighting

but yeah the speed at which you'd need to be reacting to things seems intense, there's just not enough time to read tells for the average player, particularly with multiple opponents

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Oh I think the action looks incredible, but if the game requires me to be able to pull that off in order to play it then there's just no chance I'll ever buy it

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.