As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10 minutes is too long to not have a [MOVIES] thread

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Maybe folks just like the movie?

Like, it is still largely The Lion King, just in a less visually interesting package and The Lion King is pretty good even without beautiful visuals

honestlyyyyyyy i'd kinda question that

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Like, it is still largely The Lion King, just in a less visually interesting package and The Lion King is pretty good even without beautiful visuals

Its basically Hamlet with good songs and the songs are still there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular

This is what my incredibly cynical friend, who constantly gripes about the state of mainstream cinema in light of Disney's takeover, said when he saw it a couple nights ago. Despite all of the legitimate issues with the visuals, the story itself is still an awesome story, and one that he said he hopes a lot of kids will see and learn from.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

Its basically Hamlet with good songs and the songs are still there

it's... not really "basically hamlet." it has a few plot parallels and some characters with similar roles

like i think the plot of the lion king is "pretty alright," and then the music and the visuals elevate it

so to me at least the new version kicks one of its two legs out from under it

obviously people's mileage will vary

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

You don't have to like it one bit. People need to stop with this "no one could ever like it!" crap though. It's gatekeeping for a cartoon about lions...

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Listen its 2019. Not only can we not enjoy anything we also have to ensure that other people cant enjoy anything. Not even the concept of joy must exist.

#releasethesynderofhanovercut

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    so re: blade, there's a very short list of people they could have cast without me immediately losing interest and Mahershala Ali is one of them

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

The movie looks really, really good, it's just kind of low energy next to the original because the original is a cartoon and they leaned hard into "realism" for some reason.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm all for realism in the lion king. Can't wait to see the hyenas chowing down on Mufasa's carcass after chasing Simba away.

• Options
    I'm all for realism in the lion king. Can't wait to see the hyenas chowing down on Mufasa's carcass after chasing Simba away.

remake it with just documentary footage of real animals cut together to look like they're acting out the plot, no dialogue or musical numbers

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

I mean, there is some of that, yeah, but Disney movie so it’s shot so you can see much.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The music that I've heard from the new Lion King even sounds kinda lackluster to me

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    You're right we should just watch roar instead

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Even though there is no good reason they couldn’t just cast my hero and icon Wesley Snipes as Blade again Mahershala Ali is a pretty excellent choice

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

remake it with just documentary footage of real animals cut together to look like they're acting out the plot, no dialogue or musical numbers

... I'm listening

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    Even though there is no good reason they couldn’t just cast my hero and icon Wesley Snipes as Blade again Mahershala Ali is a pretty excellent choice

He has just reprised the role, technically, for
    What We Do in the Shadows.

But there wasn't much ass kicking, sadly.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    God

An MCU Blade movie is some real monkeys paw shit

Depends on if they keep it pg-13 or use it as a venue to start producing rated r mcu films.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I was really hoping they'd fall short again.

And this is coming from somebody who really duslikes Avatar.

• Options
    the disney remakes legitimately bum me the fuck out. animation constantly gets treated as a "less than" art form. Even now, aside from maybe a couple studio ghibli movies, animated films are seen as childish in the mainstream, and sure maybe you can appreciate the craft of something like Spiderverse, but at the end of the day it's still "just a cartoon." That attitude's changing, slowly, but it's still very much alive, and i find it deeply, deeply obnoxious. The Disney remakes feel very much like they're cynically pandering to that mindset, creating "more legitimate" versions of classic movies that end up being soulless and hollow because ultimately all those films were triumphs of animation, and if you remove the animation without replacing it with something equally impressive then all you're left with is a dull grey lump of nothing. But, because people have this shitty notion that live action is inherently superior to animation, they still make bucketloads of money (and that's not the only reason they're successful, but it is a reason).

To me, Lion King 2019 is the absolute shittiest example because it's an animated movie. It's not "live action" in any meaningful sense of the term. Scores of extremely talented animators worked really hard to animate something without playing to any of animation's strengths, to give the average viewer the impression that it's "real." And the result is something that's uglier, less expressive, and less fun than the thing they were remaking. Everything I've read has said that the highest points in the movie are when they directly lift things out of the original, like specific shots or lines, and that pretty much every new thing they brought to the table makes it worse. Everything about it feels deeply cynical and lame, so, yeah i'm gonna be grumpy that it's doing well, just like I was grumpy when Beauty and the Beast did well. I mean, if you enjoy it, god bless, life's short and you should spend your leisure time how you want. but also i think it fuckin' sucks that these disney remakes are so consistently popular.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    exist wrote: »

He has just reprised the role, technically, for
    What We Do in the Shadows.

But there wasn't much ass kicking, sadly.

God, that was great.

Dark greetings.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Saw The Last Black Man In San Francisco last night. Beautiful, beautiful movie. I think it fumbles in some small ways toward the end of the movie, but not enough to take away from what makes it special. It manages to build such a specific sense of place that’s both heightened stylistically, but feels completely real and lived-in. Wonderful cast, best score I’ve heard this year, and some stunning cinematography. This shot, this moment, will stick with me for a long time:

QBj8xe4_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I am basically immune to musicals as a concept since I don't listen to lyrics and I'm very glad of this fact tbh

How do you do this, surely you must absorb the contents of words in the English language by accident

I know multiple people who don't hear the words when they listen to songs and it blows my mind.
    Fortunately I can blow them right back just by explaining what the song is about.

One of my friends loves Josh Ritter but had no idea that The Curse is about mummies.

??????????????

I’ve also never seen anyone else mention josh Ritter, I assumed I was his only fan!

This whole forum is a stealth Ritter fanzone.

I love Josh Ritter. The Temptation of Adam is one of my favorite songs ever.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I’m excited for the Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness as it will contain Scarlet Witch and will apparently be a horror movie?

And Thor’s Jane Foster will become Lady Thor?

And What If? episode 1 will be “What if Peggy Carter took the supersoldier serum instead of Steve Rogers”. I’m really looking forward to buff Hayley Atwell and tiny Chris Evans...

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Also I haven't seen the lion king 2019 so I don't want to lean too hard into any specific opinion there until I do (if I do) but I watched The Beauty and the Beast some months ago and I was saddened by it. It sucked! Really bad! It had some pretty parts, but overall I was just really let down by the vocals. Why, oh why when there are so many young and amazing female vocal talents for the role did they need to grab Emma Watson. She can't sing well enough for it, and it showed. I know she's a big name and a big draw but it's fucking beauty and the beast, it was going to draw a crowd anyways so why not get someone with the VOICE for it.

Ugh. I wanted to love it, too. I'd avoided seeing or reading anything about it at all so I didn't even go into it with a bias against the movie. It was just bad. A bad movie.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Belruel wrote: »
    Also I haven't seen the lion king 2019 so I don't want to lean too hard into any specific opinion there until I do (if I do) but I watched The Beauty and the Beast some months ago and I was saddened by it. It sucked! Really bad! It had some pretty parts, but overall I was just really let down by the vocals. Why, oh why when there are so many young and amazing female vocal talents for the role did they need to grab Emma Watson. She can't sing well enough for it, and it showed. I know she's a big name and a big draw but it's fucking beauty and the beast, it was going to draw a crowd anyways so why not get someone with the VOICE for it.

Ugh. I wanted to love it, too. I'd avoided seeing or reading anything about it at all so I didn't even go into it with a bias against the movie. It was just bad. A bad movie.

Well you see, her best known role was a girl who likes books, so that lone quality seems to have secured her spot in book-loving Belle!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ugh

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That would be incredibly upsetting to see!

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I saw someone mention that Anne Hathaway would have been a fantastic Belle and man that is so true

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    We are totally going to see Captain America in Doctor Strange in the MoM, aren’t we?

...we are totally going to get a XXX parody called Doctor Strange in the MoMs, aren’t we?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    today, at @zonugal's behest, i will be beginning my run the series of superman

but i am thorough

so, it'll be

superman
    superman ii
    superman iii
    supergirl
    superman iv: the quest for peace
    superman returns
    man of steel
    batman v superman: dawn of justice
    justice league

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The mid-point of that lineup is either going to be the best part of it, or bring it to a screeching halt from which it never recovers.

• Options
    even on its best day, superman iv is still following a movie where supergirl fights a witch played by faye dunaway

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    even on its best day, superman iv is still following a movie where supergirl fights a witch played by faye dunaway

But one of Superman's weaknesses is magic
    Supergirl is a messy movie
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMKD4L6Peto

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    @Rorshach Kringle, I'm going to need your definitive, cinematic actor for Clark Kent/Superman, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Jimmy Olsen, & Perry White when you are all finished.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    i am almost positive it will be 50/50 between the reeve movies and the cavill movies because superman returns was so poorly cast

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    The guy who played Superman on the Supergirl show was kinda really good.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    though jimmy olsen is played by the kid from jungle 2 jungle in returns....

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    The guy who played Superman on the Supergirl show was kinda really good.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    so re: blade, there's a very short list of people they could have cast without me immediately losing interest and Mahershala Ali is one of them

I did not know who that was before I looked it up after I heard about the blade news

This discussion has been closed.