As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Oh, hi Nero (why haven't we hanged this guy yet?).

Because it's amusing watching him troll Cid and try (unsuccessfully) to hide his inferioroty complex.
    Also he is genuinely useful as a scientist.
    So he gets forgiven out of expediency.
    The only really unrealistic part is that he is waltzing about instead of locked in a research faciliy somewhere.

Kinda interested how the story will unfold. Some good comedy coming i suspect.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Don't you dare badmouth Nero.
    His story is pretty cool if you've done both CT and Omega. The ending especially saves Omega.

btw omg

Q20:
    The "La hee!" from the Rak'tika Greatwood BGM is stuck in my head! I'd like to know what the lyrics are!

A20:
    *Sound Director Soken answered.
    I’ll leave it up to your imagination. Honestly, I don’t know either...
    Let's just say that the lyrics are unknown!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh, hi Nero (why haven't we hanged this guy yet?).

Because anime writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeYIlET3szA

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Nero starts his redemption arc in the crystal tower raid, if you haven't done that yet.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Labyrinth of the ancients?
    I remember him in a cutscene, but don't really remember him doing much of anything until we had to release that thingy at the end of Heavensward to deal with the primal.
    Might have missed a questline, might have forgotten his actions in one.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I remember him in a cutscene, but don't really remember him doing much of anything until we had to release that thingy at the end of Heavensward to deal with the primal.

It’s the third raid in the quest line. Labyrinth of Ancients is raid 1 and Syrcus Tower is raid 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It’s the third raid in the quest line. Labyrinth of Ancients is raid 1 and Syrcus Tower is raid 2.
    The world of darkness?
    Yeah, must have missed him actually doing anything to redeem himself.

No need to take me seriously, i'm just generally bummed about redemption stories.
    Maybe need to go through the cutscenes later.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    re: nero
    world of darkness is where he starts to show signs of "we're doing a redemption arc," which continues through the heavensward-stormblood bridge part of the MSQ and the stormblood 8 man raid story (omega).

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Thing is, redemption requires 2 things.
    1. The realization that you have fucked up. Not just "i failed" but "i should not have even tried".
    2. Desire to be better.
    Again, i may be just not remembering stuff, maybe need to go through cutscenes again at somepoint.
    But i don't really remember either from him.
    I have no reason to believe, that given a change, he would not jump ship back to Garleon if they just provided him with a research facility and budget.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    re: nero
    it's not a completed redemption arc or anything, in crystal tower and the end of heavensward he's still pretty much just a prideful asshole who only can't go home to Garlemald because he'll be hung for deserting, just with glimmers of being a good person deep down somewhere.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I know there’s not an official spoiler policy but should I unsub from this thread?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    ah, my bad, I got lazy about it but yeah I should really be spoilering this stuff, sorry about that

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I've been trying to avoid the most obvious spoilers, sorry if i revealed anything important.

On Nero.
    I don't really mind him being there.
    It's just that, realisticly, i don't think he should be gallivanting freely, getting hired by the ironworks (seriously Jessie? what drugs are you on and why aren't you sharing?), and no change to call him out.
    Like, atleast have him be followed by couple "bodyguards", courtesy of the grand companies.

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Again on Nero
    What did Nero do that was so irredeemable anyway? I remember him being a smug asshole in the ARR MSQ and working on rebuilding the Ultima Weapon, which at the time the Garleans had been fooled into thinking would save the world from the threat of the primals.

I think maybe he executed a spy he rooted out in the military organization he was part of? Not great but ultimately pretty mild as far as antagonists go iirc.

The next time we see him is during the Crystal Tower raids where he tries to sacrifice his life to save Doga and Unei in the World of Darkness, then again when he activates Omega to stop Shinryu from being Bahamut 2.0.

Overall I'd argue Nero isn't any worse than many of our other allies. Look at Merlwyb, the leader of the Maelstrom. She was a former pirate with all that entails that somehow fought her way into power. She even admits that she only outlawed piracy in Limsa so she could ally with the other cities against the Garleans. Is her past okay because we didn't see it?

I guess in regards to why hes walking free: its at least consistent with how they treat other Garlean defectors. No one is even side-eyeing Cid who was raised like a son by Gaius and was the Garlean minister of innovation or something I can't remember right now. Once he came to Eorzea all was forgiven.

Khildith on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the eorzean alliance generally has a "let bygones be bygones" policy with anyone who defects from the garlean empire, especially if they happen to be some flavor of mad scientist

like, I'm not even just talking about the two big ones here, this stuff comes up in side content and job quests

• Options
    Yeah, I mean Cid is even worse than Nero.
    at least Nero wasn't responsible for blowing up a City full of civilians.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Anyone know where i could repick coils of bahamut quets? i was at second coil (5th turn, i think), and i dropped the quest when cleaning old repeatable quests and now i can't find it.
    Nothing in waking sands, northern thanalan or eastern la noscea.
    Yeah, I mean Cid is even worse than Nero.
    at least Nero wasn't responsible for blowing up a City full of civilians.
    Is this backstory i have forgotten or something about to come up? (doing delta scape 2.0 atm, not finished Alexander).
    Anyway, what they have done aside, Cid reads to me as someone who would not, given half a change, start working for obviously evil empire just for funding, while Nero kinda does (this may change, or maybe i have a wrong reading of him).

Anyway, my opinion on Nero is probably colored lot by genre knowledge (Garleans basicly scream WE ARE OBVIOUSLY EVIL).
    And him being smug asshole (i hate that character archetype) all the time.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    RE:Cid
    Backstory that's expanded upon during the Omega raid. He's basically responsible for the death of his dad too IIRC for just being interested in the pursuit of knowledge in itself. That's why he's looking for redemption.

Re:Garleans and ShB spoilers
    Man knowing Emet's intentions now known I don't know. In the past, they obviously were presented as evil empire. Then as you learn a bit of the backstory how they developed Magitek to stand up against their oppressors well, I can understand how they went down this path. But then you see the Emperor snap at the end of StB and maaaaaaaaan. Then you learn that the Empire was just a tool to get the world back in its original state and hooo boy. I'm sure there are some people that truly believe on what the Empire is doing good (getting rid of Primals thru purging of cults and beast tribes) but then you have people like Tsuyu's brother and geez.

Re:Nero
    Anyways, Nero is there to remind Cid how he used to be. Imho, he's a good foil. I find him very fun.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Nero & Stormblood MSQ:
    I agree that he plays well against Cid, i suspect i will enjoy the deltascape story (Alexander has been very entertaining).
    I'm just, unsatisfied with how he was brought into the current scenario, it's just "and here he is" without any real why to it.
    It's not even the story itself, i'm just kinda tired of easy redemptions in lot of stories i read or play through, so i have bit a kneejerk reaction.
    And having done the 60 to 70 mainquest has not left me feeling all that, understanding, towards people working for the empire.
    I was originally hoping to see more about Garleans and how their imperialism harms those they have conquered.
    But the story went so far past that to mustache twirling villainy that it was not even funny.

I get it was mostly the fault of Zenos, but mostly is as far as i will go on that.

edit-
    I'm rather surprised about the length of the conversation my offhand comment has spawned.
    Especially as i was originally thinking of editing it out as it probably was a bit too negative, but deicded to leave it because it was there mainly for humour.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    @Nyysjan I'm not 100% sure where you're at, but if urianger doesn't have anything for you in the waking sands, try looking for alisaie in northern thanalan, near all the orange crystals

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    People really like nero and are eager to talk at length about him. Personally I can take him or leave him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've never done any of the raids, so my exposure to him is like 30 seconds here and 30 seconds there.

On a completely unrelated topic: I was just glancing through all the Artifact armors for Shadowbringers. I love the lily staff that the white mage is holding in the picture. Is that weapon actually available in the game?

https://imgur.com/r/ffxiv/qPb2L9V

Also, it seems like some of these AF armors are just updates to the ARR 2.0 AF sets. I guess that isn't really a problem, per se, but it seems a bit lazy. Like Scholar and Monk are nearly identical to their 2.0 counterparts. There are some subtle differences, but overall they are so close that it might as well be a re-release of the same set.

• Options
    @Nyysjan I'm not 100% sure where you're at, but if urianger doesn't have anything for you in the waking sands, try looking for alisaie in northern thanalan, near all the orange crystals

There are no quest icons on the map when i go there.
    Will try to find her in person later.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I've never done any of the raids, so my exposure to him is like 30 seconds here and 30 seconds there.

On a completely unrelated topic: I was just glancing through all the Artifact armors for Shadowbringers. I love the lily staff that the white mage is holding in the picture. Is that weapon actually available in the game?

Also, it seems like some of these AF armors are just updates to the ARR 2.0 AF sets. I guess that isn't really a problem, per se, but it seems a bit lazy. Like Scholar and Monk are nearly identical to their 2.0 counterparts. There are some subtle differences, but overall they are so close that it might as well be a re-release of the same set.

Oh I actually like them a lot! Keep in mind that ARR 2.0 AF sets are actually og 1.0 AF sets so it hits right in the nostalgia for me (6 years old!). So they definitely feel like a new take on an old classic. And well some of them are definitely based off the original FFXI AF sets (Paladin!). So, I can understand if you're not into them but I love them quite a bit!

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

This is intentional, the point is the First is a reflection of the Source so they wanted these AF sets to also show that. I absolutely think some sets got some more love than others, but it was a conscious design decision with decent reasoning that I'm not sure I'd call it lazy.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm just happy that they're finally doing Monk weapons different than those giant honking things you carry around.

• Options
    you can also look at it as a sort of throwback, seeing as 2.0 was six years ago

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Palace of the dead can be such a troll sometimes.

Chest - it's a mimic!
    Mimic drops a chest
    Chest - It's also a mimic!
    Mimic drops a chest
    Chest - MIMIC!
    Mimic drops a chest
    Chest explodes.

• Options
    Never been to palace of the dead.
    I really should, there's a quest that at ruby sea that unlocks only if you are at level 50 (i think) in palace of the dead.

• Options
    you should! the deep dungeons are fun and extremely useful fof leveling and learning alt jobs

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I really should, there's a quest that at ruby sea that unlocks only if you are at level 50 (i think) in palace of the dead.

That quest leads to Heaven-on-High, the level 60-70 version of Palace of the Dead.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Palace of the Dead is pretty good for leveling-up alt jobs from 1-50, ok for 50-60, and absolutely terrible for 60-70.

The quest in Ruby Sea is the Stormblood version of Palace (Called Heaven on High) and works for leveling 60-70.

They're also good methods for seeing how a job plays at 60 or 70 with much less time investment than leveling them up in the "overworld."

The other thing that can be done in them is to get together a static group and push through to the higher floors 100+ for Palace of the Dead and 30+ for Heaven on High. The higher floors are harder 4-man content and have the chance to find rare items/mounts/minions and even some items that are only found from there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The deep dungeons are especially useful for DPS queues.

If you're leveling a tank or healer, you will pretty much have an insta-queue or <5 minute queue for regular dungeons. And regular dungeons are faster than the deep dungeons. But. If you're DPS and you have a 30 minute queue in regular dungeons, you will only have a <5 minute queue in deep dungeons which means it's going to be faster XP just cause you're not waiting on a queue to pop.

• Options
    Well i have 4 melee dps at level 41-42 so guess i should go do the palace at some point.
    Even if only to get rid of the blue quest marker at ruby sea.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I am always down if people want to push for the higher floors in either PotD or HoH. I've cleared both and it is a time commitment that is best done as an all-day push (4-6 hours) or over several evenings/sessions. It is probably the hardest light party content in the game and I enjoy the gameplay (though I'm not as big of a fan on how much work it is to get to the hard content).

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Palace of the dead can be such a troll sometimes.

Chest - it's a mimic!
    Mimic drops a chest
    Chest - It's also a mimic!
    Mimic drops a chest
    Chest - MIMIC!
    Mimic drops a chest
    Chest explodes.

Ah, mimiception.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    This look's like a flying sperm. I'm not crazy right?
    5oqgczjwp79u.png

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    You should see a doctor about your sperm.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    particularly the part where they're big enough to see???

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Do you get anything for getting all the way to the top of the jumping puzzle, or is it just a "yeah, I did it" kind of thing?

This discussion has been closed.