As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    What FFV references does it have other than
    Krile and Baldesion and I guess Blue Magic. Oh and Exdeath shows up huh.
    Library of the ancients has like 3 FF5 bosses. well actually pretty much that entire dungeon is an FF5 reference

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Library of the ancients has like 3 FF5 bosses. well actually pretty much that entire dungeon is an FF5 reference
    Second boss of the newest dungeon is a FFV reference too, Necromancer as worn by someone that looks suspiciously like Lena.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Going to ignore the <x>scape stuff since it's rife with overt FFV references, but a few others come to mind offhand...

General ARR
    You first engage Siren in a ship graveyard.

Hildibrand
    Aside from the flatly obvious ties to Epic of Gilgamesh, Enkidu's model is straight up the FFV boss.

Blue Mage
    Azulmagia is a boss in the Blue Mage story, as well as a Blue Mage weapon.

Heavensward
    Byblos is a midboss in The Great Gubal Library

Shadowbringers
    The last boss of the Twinning is named The Tycoon.

The king of Tycoon is named Alexander Highwind Tycoon.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Gilgamesh is also technically a FF5 character. He appears in 1&2 and in 4, but only in remakes that were released after his first appearance in OG5, and his theme is the one from 5.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Gilgamesh is also technically a FF5 character. He appears in 1&2 and in 4, but only in remakes that were released after his first appearance in OG5, and his theme is the one from 5.
    It's specifically FF5 gilgamesh because he says lines straight from five.

Granted they're all technically the same gilgamesh because that's what gilgamesh do.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ronka is also a FF V reference. The earth crystal was hidden within the remnant of their empire. Shadowbringers has a ton of references to Ronka between the lore in the Rak'tika Greatwood and Ronkan gear.

EDIT: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Ronka_Ruins

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    No specific games have been canonized by 14 but the game is LITTERED with callbacks, nods and winks to pretty much every single entry, from characters to items to complete story arcs and plot points.

Javen on
  • Options
    Yeah
    The bulk of the ARR Crystal Tower raids is FF III's story condensed

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    5.0 ending spoilers
    And then Amaurot is basically Zanarkand. Hades phase 2 has parallels to Sin as well.

4.x 24-mans
    Oh look, it's FFT. Enough said? With some other Ivalice stuff thrown in like Fran. Is Goug from FFT or just the later ones? The Pharos Lighthouse. Yiazmat. Etc.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Regarding that last part:
    The current relic weapon stuff is also written/designed by Yasumi Matsuno, and will likely feature more Ivalician lore/locations/items going forward.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    5.0 ending spoilers
    And then Amaurot is basically Zanarkand. Hades phase 2 has parallels to Sin as well.

4.x 24-mans
    Oh look, it's FFT. Enough said? With some other Ivalice stuff thrown in like Fran. Is Goug from FFT or just the later ones? The Pharos Lighthouse. Yiazmat. Etc.
    Goug is from the PS FFT, as are Lesalia and Orbonne.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Some more subtle FFV callbacks include
    Cid's dad is Midas, or... Mid.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    With The Rising starting today, we get another set of Tales From the Shadows. We start off with Small Mercies in which we learn the sad story behind one of Il Mheg's A Ranks.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yay, hit level 50 on my main. "Congratulations, here's that robe you spent the last 5 levels chasing! Also, here's a coffer of gear that immediately supersedes it."

I kind of want to push to 60 so I can unlock Dancer and Gunbreaker, buuuuuut Blue Mage and Red Mage are right there...

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Yay, hit level 50 on my main. "Congratulations, here's that robe you spent the last 5 levels chasing! Also, here's a coffer of gear that immediately supersedes it."

I kind of want to push to 60 so I can unlock Dancer and Gunbreaker, buuuuuut Blue Mage and Red Mage are right there...

BLU is definitely side-content, so don't expect it to be as easy to deal with as the other jobs you have unlocked thus far. There is no hunting log, for starters.

• Options
    Yeah, it sounds interesting, I like the idea of hunting down monsters to steal their abilities. Not even necessarily to play the class, at least, not for a good long time, but just as an activity ("let's go get a few powers tonight!").
    Not sure what the intended leveling process is, though. Can you do dungeons as normal or is that where the Limited thing kicks in?

• Options

Yeah, originally that chest piece was your starting endgame gear in 2.0, the coffer was added later so you can just do all the 2.x content right away. Theres a bunch of free gear in the 2.x MSQ as well so you can power right through.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yeah, it sounds interesting, I like the idea of hunting down monsters to steal their abilities. Not even necessarily to play the class, at least, not for a good long time, but just as an activity ("let's go get a few powers tonight!").
    Not sure what the intended leveling process is, though. Can you do dungeons as normal or is that where the Limited thing kicks in?

Leveling is much faster than a normal class. So killing things on the field can level you decently at first. Not sure about later.

The Limited thing kicks in regarding dungeons, or just Duty Finder in general. You can't queue as a Blue Mage at all.

All parties must be pre-formed.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Even 50-60 is pretty quick. Killing level 59 mobs solo as BLU (just throwing Doom at everything) was giving me about 100k per kill for my last level.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Grinding mobs and joining FATEs. I'd say that with the current rush for Yo-Kai items your fastest exp would be to do FATEs .

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I tried it, but it seemed that FATE mobs didn't give the boosted XP that BLU got from standard open-world mobs. Just regular plain XP.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    this Rising quest is great.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm still faffing about after a stumble out of the gates. I can't get enough of all the crazy mounts I see going into and out of FATEs as I'm running around.

Unrelated, I now want a pink and blue Trex mount that flies bit doesn't have wings. Close second is the golden Phoenix looking bird. Third is the whale ofc.

Also I saw someone using the flaming rollerblades and I just had to chuckle.

Hunt trains are always great for this.
    lz3esyu7pen1.png

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I have completed all the msq
    so good.
    now to do all the raids and such and work on getting some crystarium gear
    because im a lazy bum and bought all the neo ishgardian gear to skip several stages of gearing

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I have completed all the msq
    so good.
    now to do all the raids and such and work on getting some crystarium gear
    because im a lazy bum and bought all the neo ishgardian gear to skip several stages of gearing

with the upgrade capability that's currently the best gear you can get outside of the really high-end stuff, so you made the right choice.

• Options
    Coming in 5.35: Housing (Ultimate):
    This section will cover information regarding the addition of new housing plots, as announced in the recent topics.
    The travel restrictions introduced in response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) currently prevent us from making any large-scale physical expansion to our servers, and so we are focusing on optimizing server processing in order to provide extra plots. Now that we have a clearer idea of the time frame and scale of these additions, we are pleased to announce the following details:

New housing plots are scheduled to be added in Patch 5.35
    Each residential district will be expanded with 6 wards (3 standard/3 subdivisions)
    Both free company estates and private estates will be immediately available for purchase
    The additions outlined above effectively mean that there will be 24 new wards in total (4 residential districts x 6 new wards).
    Previously when new plots have been added, the purchase of free company housing was given priority over private estates. This time, however, either type of estate will be immediately available for purchase without restriction.

It's the opening of Oklahoma, but with catboys and bunnygirls.

• Options
    I'm gonna have a very good or a real bad night when 5.3 drops.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I think you mean 5.35... 5.3 is the current patch

• Options
    So the new wards are going to have the random timers that let existing plot owners take all the desirable spots first, right?

• Options
    So the new wards are going to have the random timers that let existing plot owners take all the desirable spots first, right?

Nope, first come first serve, doesn't matter if it's a personal or FC house or a relocation.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »

Nope, first come first serve, doesn't matter if it's a personal or FC house or a relocation.

Basically, think this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFrVoG-edFc

But more anime.

• Options
    Skeith wrote: »

Ah, that's good. That actually makes it fair. The timer being skippable is dumb.

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm absolutely going to start paying for this. The story has been incredible, I finally got my L50 WHM outfit and it's perfect, and I know there's so much more to come.

That said, considering the free trial caps me out at 60 and includes Heavensward, I'll play through to whichever of those I hit first and pull the trigger on the Complete Edition. Does that ever go on sale/be sold below RRP on the regular, or is $60 pretty much the expected cost of entry?

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Got my bard to level 70 this morning. I already have Paladin and White mage at 80.

Time to start thinking about what magic dps class I want to get to 80.
    Going to have to flip a coin between red mage and summoner.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Okay, so I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm absolutely going to start paying for this. The story has been incredible, I finally got my L50 WHM outfit and it's perfect, and I know there's so much more to come.

That said, considering the free trial caps me out at 60 and includes Heavensward, I'll play through to whichever of those I hit first and pull the trigger on the Complete Edition. Does that ever go on sale/be sold below RRP on the regular, or is $60 pretty much the expected cost of entry?

It seems to be on sale not infrequently for 50% off.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Just be wary if you buy it on Steam, as doing so will prevent you from buying expansions from any other store, and Steam has had a history of not playing terribly nicely with XIV's launcher.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

Just be wary if you buy it on Steam, as doing so will prevent you from buying expansions from any other store, and Steam has had a history of not playing terribly nicely with XIV's launcher.

The PS4, steam, and standalone PC versions are all separate, so you need to buy the same version expansions or else you'll need to rebuy the whole game on the new platform. In-game they all play together though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    korodullin wrote: »

The PS4, steam, and standalone PC versions are all separate, so you need to buy the same version expansions or else you'll need to rebuy the whole game on the new platform. In-game they all play together though.

for steam or PC standalone, it is possible to use one to login even if that's not the same launcher platform you originally bought the game on.

For using the standalone PC launcher with a Steam license, you just add it as a non-steam game and add the launcher option "-issteam" to it.
    For using the Steam launcher with a non-steam license, it's the opposite. You have to edit your local launch options for the steam version to remove "-issteam"

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh shi, that's good to know.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
This discussion has been closed.