As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Aaah. Was it you who rang the bell of awakening?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Not really enthusiastic about the robes, but yeah that's an interesting set overall.

Preliminary patch notes went up and look to have a preview of the final crafted set of the expansion as well. And it looks promising. We'll see if it replaces neo-ishgard though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    It's amazing that they're doing an overhaul of Triple Triad that still leaves 4 star cards almost completely pointless.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Seems to me like there's a butt-load of UI and QoL tweaks in this patch. Or maybe 2020's time dialating effect has skewed my memory of 0.x patch notes. Classic mode seems neat and bulk materia melding is nice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Seems to me like there's a butt-load of UI and QoL tweaks in this patch. Or maybe 2020's time dialating effect has skewed my memory of 0.x patch notes. Classic mode seems neat and bulk materia melding is nice.

There's a screenshot in the patch notes where some poor employee burned 107 materia, so knowing exactly how many you just threw away willl be a nice little buyer's remorse perspective to look forward to.

• Options
    Zatoichi42Zatoichi42 Registered User new member
    Hey guys, it's Halon Minderbinder. Y'all still active on Sarg? I moved Halon over to Mateus to play with my pops, but that's not actually happening so I was thinking of moving back!

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I’m starting from scratch - first time playing - I had to fight in three dungeons (the names of the places are still hard to recall while phone posting) one in tree zone, another in ocean zone, another in desert zone and then finally I had to confront:
    Ifrit; which was super sad since dude didn’t have the purple hair from his Esper form in 6.

But also, the dungeons were uncomfortable because I felt like I was holding the duty finder group up by watching/reading the cut scenes. And then in one of them I accidentally stood in the fire (we had to have some Bomb explode on the boss but messed up noticing the big circle on the ground and was insta killed).

But yeah, I loaded up on the PA database cluster, but because of not being sure if I’ll continue after the first month I haven’t reached out to the FC for an invite.

Probably going to solo for a while, but in the mean time if you see “Assembly Guy” doing something dumb cut that player some slack; dude just got a chocobo last night.

e: I should mention, I really liked that they had a dungeon/role tutorial at the beginning of the game instead of throwing folks against dungeons blind with Duty Finder.

Even if you are not sure you will continue, you should join the FC just so you have a resource to get questions answered and parties formed for content.

So I might have done it wrong - I found a person with the <GHOST> tag, and sent an app through the FC's info page, but then had to log a little while later - do I need to remain online for the FC approval process?

(I can start going down the list in the OP too and /t /w (whatever the command is in the game) folk, but I'll need some whisky first)

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Just got killed on the cutscene in the Toro-toro(sic) dungeon because the party started the event.

Good times. Good times.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just got killed on the cutscene in the Toro-toro(sic) dungeon because the party started the event.

Good times. Good times.

Them starting the dungeon before you got out of the cutscene doesn't surprise me that much, unfortunately... but how did you die?

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

Good times. Good times.

Them starting the dungeon before you got out of the cutscene doesn't surprise me that much, unfortunately... but how did you die?

Your guess is as good as mine. Best guess is that I was outside of the boss room barrier when the cut scene started

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Being locked out of the fight room doesn't typically kill anyone by itself. Being hit with AoEs while standing outside might, though.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Being locked out of the fight room doesn't typically kill anyone by itself. Being hit with AoEs while standing outside might, though.

It was basically just starting the dramatic scene and then it stopped and then... I died.

No worries- it completed the quest. Smallish bummer on the death.

e: truly no worries - Frixio still wants to come to the table so I’m good.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    5.4 Notes wrote:
    Rings that could be purchased in exchange for Allagan tomestones of poetics, Allied Seals, and Centurio Seals are no longer classified as unique.

<3

I do not understand the changes to Triple Triad. Who cares about limitations on 1-3* cards? Why is there any limitation on 4-5*? The only times player may play against other players is maybe during a tournament if they want to manipulate their score, and who cares if we can use better cards against NPC's; particularly NPC's who already have no limitation on card quality?

Seems like a lot of effort for no reason whatsoever. And the draft tournaments? Ok? Are they replacing the weekly tournament? It's not clear at all. If so, and the Gold Saucer tournaments are going to be draft only, the question about the point of limitations of card quality come back. Actually, if that's the case, it brings to question what the point is of collecting all the cards in the first place, when you're just drafting whatever for a tournament, and the only reason to play NPC's is to collect cards to...play NPC's?

I mean, whatever, I guess? Triple Triad is fun to play just to play, but having now grinded out almost all available cards from NPC's (there are a small handful I don't have access to because they're behind stuff like later Eureka's that I haven't yet done), if I can't even use those cards moving forward in tournament; basically the only Triple Triad I even play now since I don't have NPC's with cards left...??? It was already a bit annoying that no matter what cards I won, I was still using the exact same deck and outside of a handful of extremely specific decks (again, for NPC's), the vast majority of cards aren't ever even used to begin with. 4* are never used, and any 5* that doesn't have two A sides are basically pointless (again, outside of a couple pretty specific rare instances).

I don't really get it. Maybe I'm not supposed to. I dunno.

Weird changes to gathering/collectables. I can't really make sense of the explanation in the notes, so I suppose I'll have to wait and see how it actually plays out. It seems like it's some UI/wording changes, and the majority of what I do with it won't actually change much, but it might matter more for people who do a lot of reductions?

Anyway, I'm curious to see what the materials are for the new combat gear crafts. Unless they totally change up the formula, this should be the highest crafted tier of gear for the rest of the expansion (along with the raid gear being the top outside of possibly whatever 5.55 brings in the way of final Bozja stuff). Too bad about the appearance though. I guess the tank/DRG sets look decent, but I'm not a fan of the open shoulder design of almost all the other sets. But, not everything has to appeal to me specifically! I'm sure some people will think it's pretty cool.

The other picture of gear, the Dark Souls stuff, is that tome gear, or the raid gear? I assume it's the tome gear? Have they shown the raid gear?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The stuff that looks From-y is from the tomestones. I don't know if the Eden gear is in the patch notes but it's on the special site. https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/shadowbringers/patch_5_4/

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m starting from scratch - first time playing - I had to fight in three dungeons (the names of the places are still hard to recall while phone posting) one in tree zone, another in ocean zone, another in desert zone and then finally I had to confront:
    Ifrit; which was super sad since dude didn’t have the purple hair from his Esper form in 6.

But also, the dungeons were uncomfortable because I felt like I was holding the duty finder group up by watching/reading the cut scenes. And then in one of them I accidentally stood in the fire (we had to have some Bomb explode on the boss but messed up noticing the big circle on the ground and was insta killed).

But yeah, I loaded up on the PA database cluster, but because of not being sure if I’ll continue after the first month I haven’t reached out to the FC for an invite.

Probably going to solo for a while, but in the mean time if you see “Assembly Guy” doing something dumb cut that player some slack; dude just got a chocobo last night.

e: I should mention, I really liked that they had a dungeon/role tutorial at the beginning of the game instead of throwing folks against dungeons blind with Duty Finder.

Even if you are not sure you will continue, you should join the FC just so you have a resource to get questions answered and parties formed for content.

So I might have done it wrong - I found a person with the <GHOST> tag, and sent an app through the FC's info page, but then had to log a little while later - do I need to remain online for the FC approval process?

(I can start going down the list in the OP too and /t /w (whatever the command is in the game) folk, but I'll need some whisky first)

Your application can be approved while you are offline, but FC policy is to not do that.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options

Your application can be approved while you are offline, but FC policy is to not do that.

Fair play. :) Started last night with the intent to go through the list in the OP.

Got my Friday whisky and sat down to unwind, decided on a quick rescue of Frixio (saga from above).

Following through the turn-ins lead to needing another whisky.

Somehow by the middle of the second whisky, I'm slaughtering goats for goat skins.

End of second whisky. Begun making leather pants while starting third.

The rest of the night goes about as well as can be expected after a third whisky while making leather pants:
    yim9kxykt3ha.png

• Options
    I guess I accidentally got my Wonders book this week on a sub-80 job, so the 1/2 line rewards are Poetics.

Which is fine, because I need poetics, and I really wish I knew beforehand that this was an option!

Question, though, all added up the 9 slot and 1/2 line rewards total 2200 poetics, which is obviously over the 2k cap. Is there anything that can be done to resolve that, assuming I get 2 lines? Or do you have to lose 200?

I know at least for allegory, if you accepted some from the Wonders book that put you over your weekly limit it'd not grant them to you, but I guess I haven't had it put my poetics or Phantasmagoria over 2k to know if it enforces the limit there. Because it seems kind of odd that they'd put potential 2200 in a relatively easy to acquire circumstance, and not let you take them?

Unrelated, glancing over the patch notes again, I'm really curious what the item changes will actually be for retainer ventures mentioned.
    New retainer exploration venture levels have been added.
    The following additions and adjustments have been made to quick exploration:
    New items can be obtained by retainers that have reached maximum level.
    Retainers equipped with more powerful gear will receive items in greater quantities, with a greater chance of obtaining high-quality items.
    * Following this change, the chance to obtain rare items based on gear has been removed.
    Certain items previously obtainable via retainer ventures have been removed.
    The amount of experience gained via retainer ventures is fixed depending on the retainer's level.

Specifically the quick exploration changes concern me. I rely on quick exploration a lot for just passive income and other stuff (like seals), and thinking of the "rare" items you can get, if those aren't in the pool anymore, that's really uncool. specifically dyes. But the wording that better gear gives you more or HQ versions, makes me wonder if a lot of the miscellaneous items are going to be removed from the pool and replaced with the relatively worthless crafted items or general materials; instead of having options like dye/materia/dungeon gear. We will see, I guess. But if they end up gutting a lot of the more valuable/useful potential items from quick exploration, I might just cancel all my extra retainer services, as, aside from using them to sell stuff, I've cleaned out a lot of their inventories so I don't really need most of them for space anymore either. :(

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have never seen that before, and it will almost certainly make you lose the extra poetics

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I guess I accidentally got my Wonders book this week on a sub-80 job, so the 1/2 line rewards are Poetics.

No, it’s because you can turn in a WT the week after you get it, and the 80 tomestones are changing on Tuesday.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    DRK hit 80, all that's left is WHM and AST (and I suppose BLU but does BLU really count?)

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I just picked up the botanist job, which is my first job/class outside of archer, and I'm trying to understand how this works. At first I switched jobs and it took all my clothes away, so I bought some more and managed to figure out how to create gear sets and placed them in my hotbar so I could switch between archer and botanist. But I'm still confused on some things.

Is there specific gear I should wear for something like botanist or any of the other jobs? I did get a shirt in a quest that gives +13 to gathering, but should I focus on a certain set of armor for a job like this? I really wouldn't be fighting monsters as a botanist, right? I know there are some quests related to the job, but for the most part would I just be leveling up this job through gathering from mature trees? And what about the mats I collect? Should I keep them for some kind of crafting? What can a botanist do? I thought about selling my mats, but since I'm playing as a free player until 60 apparently I can't access the auction house?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yes, you'll want to have a dedicated botanist gear set. Gathering classes rely on two major stats: Gathering and Perception. All gathering gear will have bonuses in those stats, depending on whether it's clothes or jewelry.

Eventually, botanists can gather high value materials and sell them on the auction board, but that won't really happen until max level AND you have good enough gear. The materials you'll gather as a botanist will often be used in woodworking, weaving, cooking, leatherworking, and some alchemy. This is opposed to miners, which will gather materials for armorer, blacksmith, goldsmith, and also some alchemy. There is a lot of crossover with what classes use what materials because the vast majority of recipes use materials from multiple disciplines.

Anyway, as a botanist, you can support your own crafting classes, as well as that of others. I leveled a weaver at the same time I leveled botany so I had some use for the stuff I was gathering. There were a few times I gathered materials as a botanist, then weaved my own upgrades for both botanist and weaver. But botanists also wear a lot of leather, and you can't weave an axe, so I still had to rely on quest rewards or just buying gear from the auction board.

But be aware that, until max level, there are not a lot of reliable ways to make money with gathering and crafting. You'll likely spend much more than you make.

Regarding gear and leveling: you might want to refer to leveling guides. If that's not your thing, great. Enjoy yourself at your own pace. But if you do, you'll probably level very very quickly. In either case, you probably don't need to worry about maintaining up to date gear. If you're level 30 but you still have level 12 gear, you still might not need new stuff if you can still reliably gather/craft. Save your gil until the big milestones like 50/60/etc.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Zython wrote: »

No, it’s because you can turn in a WT the week after you get it, and the 80 tomestones are changing on Tuesday.

Ah, bummer, I was kinda hoping that was actually a thing you could do. I need poetics for all the old relic stuff from ARR and HW more than I need any of the newer tomes, so I'd love to be able to regularly give up the ones from the book for poetics. Oh well!

EDIT: Unrelated, I've never done a trust dungeon, and I see that you have to actually level up the trusts. Do they get XP from the dungeon itself (enemy XP and such) or do they only get the XP listed on the Trust page for the specific dungeon?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    EDIT: Unrelated, I've never done a trust dungeon, and I see that you have to actually level up the trusts. Do they get XP from the dungeon itself (enemy XP and such) or do they only get the XP listed on the Trust page for the specific dungeon?
    They only each get the flat EXP reward at the end of each completed run. Takes a lot of runs to get them all up to 80.

• Options
    SiracSirac Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Ah, bummer, I was kinda hoping that was actually a thing you could do. I need poetics for all the old relic stuff from ARR and HW more than I need any of the newer tomes, so I'd love to be able to regularly give up the ones from the book for poetics. Oh well!

Only the end-of-dungeon XP from the Trust page. I think it takes 5 runs of a given dungeon to level a trust up to the next one - two runs for the first level and 3 for the second. The only exception is 79 to 80, which is 3 instead of 2.

Getting an individual trust to 80 lets you swap them between two appearances, usually their outfit on the Source and their last outfit on the First (it doesn't change their class, though). Getting all of them to 80 unlocks a second Trust mode...which is just all the same dungeons, but with your trust options locked to the characters (and appearances) that were available at that point in the story. The only benefit to it appears to be letting you run trusts with characters not part of the normal trust pool.

A few spoilery points up through 5.3:
    Since Ryne doesn't have a Source appearance her costume options are "Minfillia" and Ryne. So...blond or red head, basically.

Finishing 5.3 unlocks G'raha as a trust. Thankfully he starts at 80, and he works just like he did in the story trusts where he can fill any role. His appearances are his new Scion outfit, and the Exarch.

And once you unlock him, the only actual new thing you currently get out of the bonus Trust mode from having everyone at 80 is...the ability to run Holminster with Lyna, I think.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Yes, you'll want to have a dedicated botanist gear set. Gathering classes rely on two major stats: Gathering and Perception. All gathering gear will have bonuses in those stats, depending on whether it's clothes or jewelry.

Eventually, botanists can gather high value materials and sell them on the auction board, but that won't really happen until max level AND you have good enough gear. The materials you'll gather as a botanist will often be used in woodworking, weaving, cooking, leatherworking, and some alchemy. This is opposed to miners, which will gather materials for armorer, blacksmith, goldsmith, and also some alchemy. There is a lot of crossover with what classes use what materials because the vast majority of recipes use materials from multiple disciplines.

Anyway, as a botanist, you can support your own crafting classes, as well as that of others. I leveled a weaver at the same time I leveled botany so I had some use for the stuff I was gathering. There were a few times I gathered materials as a botanist, then weaved my own upgrades for both botanist and weaver. But botanists also wear a lot of leather, and you can't weave an axe, so I still had to rely on quest rewards or just buying gear from the auction board.

But be aware that, until max level, there are not a lot of reliable ways to make money with gathering and crafting. You'll likely spend much more than you make.

Regarding gear and leveling: you might want to refer to leveling guides. If that's not your thing, great. Enjoy yourself at your own pace. But if you do, you'll probably level very very quickly. In either case, you probably don't need to worry about maintaining up to date gear. If you're level 30 but you still have level 12 gear, you still might not need new stuff if you can still reliably gather/craft. Save your gil until the big milestones like 50/60/etc.

Thanks for the answer! So I wouldn't want to engage in any combat while leveling as a botanist or any other job, correct? If I want to continue story quests or do some fates, I'd want to switch over to my archer or some other type of fighting class I assume?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, you shouldn't be fighting things on a gathering job.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Don't be like me and hit level 40 fishing in Uldah (in 1.0) out of sheer boredom.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Besides, all gathering jobs now have passive stealth that only fails if you're walking around mobs that are much higher level than you're supposed to be by.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

At least it's not 1.0 where they gave gatherers an actual weaponskill. It was, of course, still completely useless.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

At least it's not 1.0 where they gave gatherers an actual weaponskill. It was, of course, still completely useless.

what was great is you could choose to start the game as a gathering class, and you would still have to do the starting story quests, throwing a weak little rock at the enemies attacking you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    alright but that rules though. I imagine it would be tedious as all hell to do, but also the funniest shit.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    alright but that rules though. I imagine it would be tedious as all hell to do, but also the funniest shit.

Titan Unreal should be 8 miners with picks and rocks.

• Options
    it would be fun if leveling the gatherers gave you some weapon glamours for combat classes

a white mage swinging a fishing pole around as they heal, a paladin hitting you in the head with a pickaxe, etc

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    hell, occasionally acknowledging your doh/l exploits in dialog would be fun

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I somehow managed to get 7 YoKai weapons yesterday before it rotated away. Hopefully it returns so I can get my cat couch the remaining weapons.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Also I managed to get GNB, DRK, and PLD to 60 and I'm really enjoying the DRK playstyle so far.

It seems to better accommodate level syncs than GNB; which seems to lose way too many abilities/utilities below 60. Not to say that GNB becomes vulnerable, but it's not fun anymore since you lose access to the "DPS" portion of the rotation and can only use your shots on one ability. I expect GNB to be enjoyable in 60+ though.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    GNB really shines once you hit 70 and unlock Continuation.

That whole burst phase has a great feel to it.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Final Patch 5.4 notes:
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/230f6e0af3536f9a40654d783c8c2f1094131070

Oh my, those Monk changes. Yes please.

It's not quite the full rework the job needs. But they do look very fun to play with and on the right track.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    For the past couple of days I have been thinking that any quest now the game is going to kick me into the next expansion. Yesterday for my 50/60/70 Roulette the game gave me Antitower. That was the dungeon I needed to do to be able to move into the next part of Heavensward. Then last night I reached the next dungeon the MSQ is locked behind (I forget what it is called) and I had to stop playing because I had dishes to do before I went to bed.

The Fending armor set the MSQ gave me is ugly and for the first time I am thinking about using the glamour system as something more then storage. The Healing set the MSQ gave me is just kind of gaudy and if it begins to bug me I can always switch it to one of the earlier WHM outfits. I had been using the level 60 Job quest armor reward but armor they gave me in that box is a slight upgrade over that so if nothing else I can make my DRKs armor look like that set while I make the WHMs look like the level 50 set you get from the Job quests. (I like the look of it more then the look of the set I got from the level 60 Job quest.)

This will be my first 24 hour maintenance experience, I don't remember any of the other MMOs I have played doing it this way.

This discussion has been closed.