As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Surrendering a house still starts a random timer though. The only way to effectively sell a house is to sell a FC that has one.

Not if the person buying the house already has a house. You can transfer immediately to an open house even if the timer is active.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    End of Stormblood (4.0)
    I think I liked that more than just about anything before it in SB, except for the Azim Steppe. Lyse got more character development in 15 quests than she did in the entirety of Doma. The Liberty or Death scene outside Raubahn's house was legitimately good. Fordola and Lyse's interactions were good and I'm glad they kept her alive as I'm interested to see where that goes.

Zenos was cartoonishly over the top but... here's the thing: the empire is so absurdly evil at all points (and believably fascist for the most part) that trying to do a Dragonsong War style "both sides" story would be disastrous. You cannot redeem the empire as a concept. So you have to go a different direction to make empire antagonists interesting, and Zenos did that for me by being the most anime bullshit.

Shinryu was a fantastic fight.

Also I got to see my boy Aymeric again.

Now time for a long break from story content as a go on vacation, but when I get back it'll be 4.x and Shadowbringers!

admanb on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    re: end of SB
    despite loving the final boss in ShB...fighting Shinryu (the mechanics, the music, the build up) was pretty well done and I still think it's the best final boss fight in FF14. Doing it when it was brand new with undergeared peeps made it especially challenging.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    re: end of SB
    despite loving the final boss in ShB...fighting Shinryu (the mechanics, the music, the build up) was pretty well done and I still think it's the best final boss fight in FF14. Doing it when it was brand new with undergeared peeps made it especially challenging.

It was my second favorite ex primal fight in 4.X as well. It's a fun fight.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Stormblood's boss fight was good but I looooove Shadowbringers'

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    To clear up the housing thing.

A house opened up in a spot that i liked but i already had a house in a place i did not like all that much

A crowd of people were waiting at the opened up spot to wait out some sort of timer that prevents open plots from being able to be bought.

I went there and paid a fee to move my house from the old spot to the new one skipping the built in timer that was preventing everyone else waiting at the house from buying it.

I did not pay any third party anything my only issue was not knowing that there was a system in place making that crowd of people wait that i literally skipped.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    oh I wasn't implying you paid a third party, I meant that *they* might have

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Well, Il Mheg done, back to Crystarium.
    spoilers for MSQ and sidequests both.
    I liked this zone, the MSQ and the sidequests.
    Maybe bit too many sidequests, 3 quest hubs, each with 10+ quests, it adds up.

The pixie village was great, as are the pixies, just enough hint of terror beneath the surface to keep them likeable, but blatantly dangerous.
    I especially enjoyed the quest of one pixie to become popular, and how it got a callback later.

I was floored by meeting Urianger, holy fuck the bling on the man, is he intending to become a hip hop artist or a rapper?
    Thancred, did not cover himsefl with glory here though, the way he feels about the young Minfilia is understandable, but so wrong, and hard on the girl.
    Minfilia herself is an interesting character, she knows what is going on even if Thancred and Urianger try to keep her in the dark.
    I hope she does not end up doing something stupid, like running away and getting captured (i hate that trope).

The drowned spirits we pretty neat as well, though if Ardbert wants to go being all sage and shit he could provide actual advice before everything has gone sideways.

The "words of power" were hilarious. As was most of the 2nd quest hub. Fae who want to help to do tasks for mortals, but for a fair price.
    I always think of the Finnish tonttu when helpfull household spirits come up. Helpful protectors of the home, the farm, the family.
    Unless you insult them, in which case you'll wish they'd just stab you in the face and get the pain over with.
    Seeing some hints of that here. Helpfull, for a price, but will have their price, or else.

Meeting the talking amaros was interesting, as were their tales. Sad, hopeful, friendly...
    The whole zone manages to really do melancholy well.

The chase is not done so well though. I am told they are coming, but there is no real notice of it.
    At no point do i see any signs of our hunters, i am only told of them.
    Titania fight is, busy, very good with its theme, i like how the arena changes, but it's a bit too busy for my liking.
    Maybe gets better as i do it more, or not.

Feo Ul becomming the king was well done as well. Except for the "you mortals are not meant to live forever and that's great" part, not a flaw in the story, i just hate that trope, and it felt unnecessary, we were never going to become the fairy king because we got shit to do.

And then we move on to Ran'jit and the Eulmoreans.
    I am somewhat curious on why Ran'jit is doing this, i have a vague outline through spoilers and waht has happened so far, but i am curious for further details as they come in the story.
    The idea of not fighting sineaters is somewhat understandable when they can't be defeated.
    But when someone has taken 2 out of 5 lightwardens, it starts to get somewhat shakier.

The last bit is possibly the best part of Il Mheg.
    Ran'jit left.
    We did not fight, we did not run away, Ran'jit, left.
    The whole cutscene was great, but what really was good was that the story did not try to insist Ran'jit was completely unstoppable, instead he came face to face with something he could not, or did not want to, fight, so instead he retreated.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Titania fight is, busy, very good with its theme, i like how the arena changes, but it's a bit too busy for my liking.
    Maybe gets better as i do it more, or not.

Just a fair warning
    It will not get less busy. If anything Titania is the least busy fight in the expansion.

However, that does not mean it won't get easier as you get used to the encounters. Encounters in FF14 are pretty strictly scripted, so it becomes much less imposing the more you do it and ingrain what abilities happen when.

Ran'jit left.

Always the best part of his appearances.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Well, i have now been officially introduced to
    Emet-Selch
    My earlier kneejerk reaction remains in effect.
    Such an annoying character, almost certainly by design, but also interesting one, offering just enough hints to leave you curious.
    My earlier judgement of "Mega Hitler" remains pretty strongly in effect, considering what we know of Garlean chemical (aether) weapons.
    No doubt there will be plenty of details on their plans, and motivations, but i am kinda so concerned with what, that they why needs to be pretty convincing for any amount of, i dunno, understanding.
    Also had another late night chat with
    Ardbert
    I suspect this will be one of the issues where i will diverge from most of the playerbase
    I think the game wants me to empathice, and even like, Ardbert.
    With how it both now, and earlier, highlights our commonalities.
    But so far he continues to rub me in the wrong way.
    I can sympathice with him to an extent, what has happened to him is horrifying, but that is not the same as wanting to be in the same hemisphere, let alone room, as him.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Finished my ranged DPS role quest last night.

Got my dancer artifact armor.

Spoilered since the dancer outfit is sexy and could possibly be considered NSFW even if it is fairly tasteful too. I find the dancer outfit hard to describe, honestly. Yes, it shows a lot of skin. But it is also elegant, beautiful, tasteful, and definitely not slutty or erotic.
    w41l7f4hjk2l.png

• Options
    edited September 2019
    the dancer outfit is gendered, and while the male version is, unfortunately, less revealing, it is still quite nice

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    I like the male dancer outfit, but I don't necessarily like the color palette they went with.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I assume we'll be able to augment and dye it eventually

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I assume we'll be able to augment and dye it eventually

Probably with 5.1x actually. The upgrade for artifact armor usually comes really early.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    where in the cycle should we expect the next deep dungeon?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    where in the cycle should we expect the next deep dungeon?

Has been x.35 in the past so roughly 1 year after release.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Almost have MCH up to 70 (dinged 68 last night). Man, the 60-70 job quests for it are really underwhelming. At least the job itself is super fun and satisfying to play.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Deep dungeon seems less relevant/necessary in a world where trusts exist. At least as a leveling tool; they would still be cool for cosmetic/challenge reasons.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Deep dungeon seems less relevant/necessary in a world where trusts exist. At least as a leveling tool; they would still be cool for cosmetic/challenge reasons.

Trusts are slow as hell, though.

• Options
    How are the trusts?
    Slow, sure, but how easy is it to do dungeons with a trust, and how does your role change the experience?

• Options
    How are the trusts?
    Slow, sure, but how easy is it to do dungeons with a trust, and how does your role change the experience?

As a tank, it's really easy. The only downside is that AI controlled DPS don't do AoE's, so it takes longer to get through each dungeon. Haven't tried it with other roles yet.

• Options
    I've done some grand company command missions as a tank, healer and dps.
    And they all sucked because the npc's completely ignore any mechanics that would require them to change targets unless you manually tell them to attack the new target.
    Doable, but enough pain in the ass that i'd just rather queue.

Should probably try out the trusts at some point.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    reVerse wrote: »

Trusts are slow as hell, though.

probably not as slow as the DPS queue though, regularly 15-20 minutes for me

as a tank or healer though you're way better off doing them with a real party, time-wise

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    15 to 20 minute queue is not that bad, i can do other stuff while waiting.
    Probably not as good once i've done with MSQ and sidequests.
    Can always go fishing i guess. :D

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I used a trust as DPS on the last story dungeon, it went fine.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    And they all sucked because the npc's completely ignore any mechanics that would require them to change targets unless you manually tell them to attack the new target.

The key to GC AI missions is to:

1. Play as the tank
    2. Have two ranged physical DPS

Easy peasy.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

1. Play as the tank

Easy peasy.

easy, yes, also annoying.

• Options
    The way I've done it is that I run each story dungeon once as a Trust. Seems fitting to me to run the story dungeons with the story characters, since the game pretends they were there anyway.

So for each new dungeon I encounter, the first time I run it I do it with a Trust. Then after that I'll run it with real people.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

1. Play as the tank

Easy peasy.

easy, yes, also annoying.

Yes you have to redirect them to pick up the occasional add and the things that pop tend to target you by default like the pulls in the vault but that is more than offset by the fact that for most encounters you can just send them in and tab out while they clean up. They do however need to be built up if they are going to be used for serious grinding, my personal preference is offensive 5 on the healer and the two archers and then independent 5 on the tank. But once they have their traits they will outperform nearly all duty finder parties for leveling dungeons and unlike the people you meet in the df the squadron is consistent and you don't really have to push them all that hard in order for them to do a three man 15 min clear of Stone Vigil or a 20 min clear of Aurum Vale where everything is killed for the extra xp. They are also insanely sturdy so having a dps or the healer tank pulls or even bosses isn't really a problem for the most part,

Trusts aren't as good as the squadron, largely because they lack the ability to do aoe but also because their actual power level when compared against the content is lower since they lack things like the 60% extra damage from offensive 5. They are better at doing mechanics though so you are less likely to die from getting a stack marker but they also take full damage from aoe unlike the squadrons which is has a massive reduction in damage taken from almost all aoes. Running dungeons with the trusts takes longer, which is offset by the lack of queue time and the fact that you once again get consistent results but for the most part you only need to do boss fights and move between trash packs so it more of a background task unlike playing through the duty finder where it might take 20 minutes for a run but you are there for the entire 20 minutes.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I did a few trusts while leveling black mage as a second job. They took me about 25-30 minutes to do depending on where I was power wise with no queue, vs. a 15+ minute queue and about 20 minutes in a dungeon in the duty finder. Timewise it ends up being about a wash, though trusts have the advantage of not dealing with other people and getting all the loot.

That said, roulettes are still a better way to level if you have other things to do during the queue. I think that’s probably true about endless dungeon too though.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    I'm doing the post-SB quests now.

I don't think it's a spoiler but,
    I liked the little exposition dump about the Empire, especially about them lacking the aetheric ability to do magic. That led them to being pushed way north, forming an empire, and then scorning other races and hunting down primals (since they're the embodiment of the magic they fear/hate)

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Sometimes i wonder about personal/cultural values, and how they affect how we see things in game.
    Rak'tika Greatwood sidequest spoilers.
    So there's this one guy, Karnes, who keeps going to the ruins of a fort they had to abandon years ago, now overrun by monsters.
    He's there to search for his fathers sword who died while defending those evacuating.
    Except he is risking his life, he is risking the life of those of his community who now have to come rescue him (in this case, me), using limited resources needed to heal him, and worst of all, he never bothers to tell anyone why, until i come and rescue him.

After retreiving the sword (having killed few dozen monsters on the way), we then go and put poisoned meat around the ruined fort.
    Explicitly against the orders of the leader of their community.

I think how one reacts to the quest would depend lot on how significant one would think retreiving the sword is.
    To me it has zero meaning, so from my point of view, we have an idiot who is endangering himself, others, and wasting resources (you could eat that meat) and breaking rules.
    For no reason.

But to a society more concerned with filial piety and/or the dead, that could be seen as very important thing to do.
    Reckless, absolutely, but understandable and excusable.
    Completely pointless rambling, i know.

edit2-
    early Rak'tika Greatwood MSQ spoiler
    The scene about sineaters and the heartstone is kinda funny.
    The two nights blessed are all sad, angry and melodramatic, and i'm just thinking "what's the problem? point me where and i'll just go kill em"

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    cross-posting from the SE++ thread

this youtube is super spoilery for anyone who hasn't beaten the MSQ and done the optional level 80 dungeons, even in the thumbnail

it's a lore tour of one of those dungeons, and this channel has a lot of good lore explainers for the game

• Options
    ALL HAIL THE GREAT SERPENT!

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Well, another meeting, and fight with
    Ran'jit.
    Rak'tika Greatwood spoilers.
    I'm going to guess there won't be mass executions of Eulmorean soldiers and officers when all is said and done, but there bloody well should be.
    So Y'shtole fell in a hole, and everyone is having a sad.
    Except me, i'm just pissed that the writers expect me, or my character, to go along with this, even if only for a second.

Well atleast they did not try to milk this for long.
    And Emet-Selch snapping her some clothes on was funny.

I guess they are going to give Ran'jit some level of a tragic past to explain why he is the monster that he is.
    Now, understanding you enemy is all and good, but i am tired of being told to see monsters point of view.

Well, some sidequests left and then of to Qitana Ravel to kill the lightwarden.

edit-
    Do i believe in the power of prayer?
    That's a very complex question to ask of my character in this game.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Trust dungeons?

Oh you mean those things you afk through while playing nintendo switch because even as a tank and healer outside of the bosses you can literally afk them. Literally do them when i want to slam some time on my switch it's free xp

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Trust dungeons?

Oh you mean those things you afk through while playing nintendo switch because even as a tank and healer outside of the bosses you can literally afk them. Literally do them when i want to slam some time on my switch it's free xp

Hmm

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yeah as a tank all i need to do on trash is my AoE rotation twice and then i can focus entirely on my switch. As a healer i can just focus Thancred and pop an aoe heal every now and then for the others

Need to focus on bosses though

This discussion has been closed.