As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's official, we can stop killing cows. Impossible burgers solved meat.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't eat shellfish either. They can't fool me.

As somebody who has hereditary gout, shellfish and most meats are off limits to me (additionally, soy). So Beyond and Impossibru 'meats' are a godsend.

That said, I will, every now and then (usually once or twice a year), devote a couple hours to make a pot of shrimp etouffe (the first hour or so spent de-poopifying and skinning the spotted prawns my parents caught and beheaded before being tossed in my fridge).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    They're also not particularly sustainable, and I'm iffy on squid. Jellyfish, now those you can go to town on.

Yea like the humbolt squid are exploding in population off of baja, but they are at least as smart as dogs, and I would feel bad harvesting them.

I have some bad news about pigs, then

Yea, I know.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    LISTEN! She's just EXHAUSTED from the joy of CHASING A 3 YEAR OLD! Do you think she's a BAD MOTHER!?!?

Yes

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    The idea that anyone who chooses to participate in an industry that enslaves, tortures, and kills 100 billion sentient creatures a year can be highly concerned with ethics is really baffling to me. "But it tastes good" is not a strong ethical position.

sentient?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I don't think she's necessarily a bad mother

Just a bad person who happens to be a mother

Probably a bad one

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    Can vegans for moral reasons drink human milk?

Humans are animals, so probably not. But if so, they could also eat human steak.

Wait so are all ... human by-products considered non-vegan or...?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The idea that anyone who chooses to participate in an industry that enslaves, tortures, and kills 100 billion sentient creatures a year can be highly concerned with ethics is really baffling to me. "But it tastes good" is not a strong ethical position.

You can certainly make an ethical argument about how human consumption vastly outpaces its production of natural resources, including food, but 'mammals enjoy eating meat' isn't an ethical position to start with.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Vegans spit

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

sentient?

Almost all life is sentient to some degree, 'sapient' is the harder qualifier

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Fucking plants are alive and react to harmful stimulus as well as they can with what they have. We're organic life, we have to consume other organic life to subsist, like all other organic life. It's not rocket surgery. Life is suffering.

Eat at Arby's.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'll eat whatever

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'll eat whatever

Even if science came up with the boneless chicken? the slug like creature that has chicken meat?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I'll eat whatever

Even if science came up with the boneless chicken? the slug like creature that has chicken meat?

Is it a literal chicken hatched with no bones or a chicken flavored slug?

Cause yes to the former and possibly to the later

Escargot is good

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

plants can be reasonably argued to be sentient

sapience is the word you mean

also, get off your fucking high horse

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    No don't! It's a trick. He wants to eat your horse

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I am not a fan of horse meat

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ok but for the purposes of this internet quip, I need you to crave equine flesh.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Nay

Alternate answer

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    Ok but for the purposes of this internet quip, I need you to crave equine flesh.

this post got me feeling churchill down

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I prefer to eat the root of t'char

T̷͍̯͖̭̉͗̇͑̔͌̍͠h̷̨̙̅̆͂̾̾̓̉̕į̶̨̩̘̱̳͇̗̖͎̝̭͈̿̓̈͑̈́̊ş̷̢͎̯̖̠͖͚̬͇͈͓͋͋̊̓̋̋ ̴̜̼͈̹͙̱̖̗̗̼̽̆̏̈̊̃̈́͆́̑͠r̴̬̱̬͍̲̗̖̗̠̟̭̿͛͐̀͐͜͝͝͝ò̶̢͉̘̰͓͍̭͖̈́̽̅͛̈́͑̄͘͘͘͝o̸̟̥͊͑̄t̴̨̢̜̞̠̹̺̱̥̭̜͓̓̀̈́͑̏̎̾̕͜͝ ̵̰̱͖̳̬̩̭̦͕̗̣̯̏̊s̵͙̊̍͒̌̂̐̓̕ḥ̴̡̰͖̜̦̻̝̖̞͇̜͓̳̈́̀͋̿͋̐͒̒̀͂̇́̇̚ą̶̡̯̤̪̟͖̰̫͓̭̙̠͐̏́͐̕͜ͅl̷̨̛̻͕͙̪̪͙̭̮̼̦͍̠͙̾͊̉̌̌̈̆̍͝ͅl̸͎̬͖͍͇̟̪͒̅͂̋̈̎͒͝ ̴̨̢̨̡̠̩̥̪͉̭̟̼̎́̓͋̌̀͂̿͝͝ŝ̶̭̻͈̒u̶̻̳̰͔̫̼͑̂̎f̴̛̞̙̣̟̲͎̅̇͌́̀̊̓͝f̴̢̗͍͖͖̤̺̄̀̃͛ȩ̵͇͔̫͈̝̥͋͐̔̅̊̾͘r̴̤̳̗̼̞͖̦͓̱̖̭̬̼̱̞̓̑́̆̊̆̎̿̑

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I'll eat whatever

a739ce8f9cf9b20cb2a4e0a444390033.jpg

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Call me when science can finally breed a boneless pizza

• Options
    Call me when science can finally breed a boneless pizza

Hmmm.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    But it's the bones that make stuff taste good.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Make a creature of ONLY BONES
    ... wait that’s a greyhound

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I’m led to believe dinosauruses were all bones covered in feathers

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

The bones are made of feathers

• Options

The bones are made of feathers

Fair.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Burgers
    Dogs
    Corn on the cob
    Childhood

(It turns out our parents were all just so tired, so tired all the time)

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Make a creature of ONLY BONES
    ... wait that’s a greyhound

Every picture of a "fit" greyhound looks like it was prefaced with the sentence "What we found when we liberated the kennels..."

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Id get one of them plutonium slugs like what they got in them space rovers installed in my torso, they look like delicious super powered marshmallows and nobody cares about plutonium you can do whatever you want to it and nobody says nothin about ethics

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    After a few generations of perfect meatless meat replicas people won't even remember what or why we're making these things taste like and then things are going to get nuts.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    After a few generations of perfect meatless meat replicas people won't even remember what or why we're making these things taste like and then things are going to get nuts.

This already happens with certain flavors I think. I think it was 'banana' flavoring is based on an extinct breed? Maybe others.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Is there a quality difference between Beyond and Impossible burgers or

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Can I eat the horse if noone else is going to?

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I think at the very least people could stand to reduce their meat intake or be more careful about where they get it but I'm not about to try and wade into a serious conversation about it because I honestly find the "for every burger you don't eat I'll eat three" type of comments really grating.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Eh, the only way people will change is when they’re forced to because the mass migrations genocides will halt farming and people be reduced to eating enriched protein tubes as they slaved away growing grubs at night and suffering the day heat in their bunk bed watching YouTube on their phones.

Just be glad you know a life of plenty. That you born in an era that will be considered a golden age.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I think at the very least people could stand to reduce their meat intake or be more careful about where they get it but I'm not about to try and wade into a serious conversation about it because I honestly find the "for every burger you don't eat I'll eat three" type of comments really grating.

But for every animal they eat, I'll not eat 4!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

This already happens with certain flavors I think. I think it was 'banana' flavoring is based on an extinct breed? Maybe others.
    yeah, banana flavoring is based off the Gran Michel, which is a version that was killed off because it was weak to a certain fungus. It's replacement, which is what we eat now, is resistant to that fungus but it tastes differently than the previous iteration.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I don't think she's necessarily a bad mother

Just a bad person who happens to be a mother

Probably a bad one
    She's probably an average person and we're just getting a snapshot of her in an extremely stressed out moment.

This discussion has been closed.