As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Once Upon a [Thread]... in Hollywood

2»

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yay, I finally can post on this thread.

I don't have much to say really. The 2hrs 45mins flew by. I enjoyed myself, but it was a non-exciting form of enjoyment. Rick and Cliff were engaging characters. They felt more real than the actual real characters.

Favourite moments:

Rick's fuck up and subsequent best acting.
    Cliff on acid.

I can't think of any Cliff or Rick scene that I didn't enjoy. The weakest is the end scene imo. Because its not about the characters, they're just filling a role in a point that film is trying to make. The initial Cliff confrontation is great A+.

My interpretation of the Bruce Lee fight is that it is entirely in Cliff's head. He's up on the roof, thinks about going back, we see the sequence, and then we are back on the roof, Cliff never left and it was in his head. But that wasn't the opinion of the people I saw the movie with. And it's not something I've seen around, although I've tried to avoid spoilers. Oop, missed that it was a flashback.

Gvzbgul on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    A friend of mine wants to see this when she’s visiting in a week or so and wants me to come with because she’s worried it’ll be too scary (???) so there’s a good chance I’ll be going for a third round

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    i find the bruce lee conversation perplexing
    is it not clear that cliff beating up bruce is his own dumb fantasy? like even within the highly stylized, revisionist cinema context, it's also a dream sequence. which is like tarantino putting a textual asterisk on the whole damn scene

i liked it a lot. tarantino is a smart guy and he's elevated a lot of context to subtext here. cliff's violence against women is not ultimately comedy, it's presented in a way that makes the audience feel complicit. and the spectre of the murders of two real women hang over what ends up being one of the most tonally complex scenes in cinematic history. also, while tarantino has always been keen to talk about exploitation, i think this is the first film where he's been so conscious of his own exploitation. bare feet take up a running half an hour of screen time and i don't think he's pretending nobody notices anymore

edit: i felt there was a kind of confessional element to this, where tarantino's own darkest impulses and addictions are dwelled upon through rick in his trailer moment, with the ultimate and kind of paradoxical acknowledgement that it's those urges which lead to his greatest successes and acclaim.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg