As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Their Worstest Hour

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Now we just need that pro EU conservative mp to leave the government and the Tories no longer have a majority!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Now we just need that pro EU conservative mp to leave the government and the Tories no longer have a majority!

I saw a tweet that said the rumour was at least four pro EU MPs were thinking of defecting to the Lib Dems if they won tonight.

I can't find it now but it's going to be an interesting few days.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    On the one hand, the Lib Dems really don't need a bunch of Tories pulling them rightward right when they should be angling for left-leaning Remainers. On the other, cutting the legs out from under Johnson inside two weeks would be amazing.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Does that actually do anything immediately or does a supply and confidence bill have to fail? Because I can imagine shenanigans around the later.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    This was also a test of concept for a Remain Alliance where The Greens and Plaid Cymru stood aside for the Lib Dems.

Also, that's two by elections in Leave voting constituencies where The Brexit Party have lost.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Lib Dems have won:

Corbyn faithful are already swarming social media.

I presume to try and deflect blame? Because I’m just a dumb Yank but that looks like a disaster for Labour.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It’s not really a seat Labour would have expected to do well in, but yes losing 2/3 of your share is bad.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    This is certainly an interesting take from the Telegraph
    This was an election that the Lib Dems threw the kitchen sink at and should have been a shoo-in for them. The fact that it wasn’t and that the Conservatives finished a close second, suggests Boris Johnson has got the Conservatives back into play electorally in what is a high risk winner takes all general election strategy. All the same, nothing in this result suggests anything other than ongoing voter unpredictability.

With all the indicators pointing to a 1990s style Lib Dem gain against a Government in difficulties, enter right the Tories Lord Flashheart, one Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, injecting confidence, charisma and optimism as a dynamic new Prime Minister and taking Government by the scuff [sic] of its neck. It clearly made a difference, giving Tories something positive to vote for and, more importantly in a 52:48 per cent Brexit split constituency, he had a renewed focus on taking the UK out of the EU on October 31. The Conservatives returned in this by-election to the party of leave and therefore Brexit, in a successful strategy to squeeze the Brexit Party vote. Boris becoming Prime Minister even for just over a week but with a new Brexit delivery agenda, injected an element of uncertainty into proceedings right up to the announcement of the result. In just over a week Boris moved his party from a position of no hope to coming close to victory.

The Telegraph always was a Tory paper but it seems to have really gone downhill the last few years (or perhaps I didn’t really notice that it was always this bad).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the classic playground rhetoric of "First's the worst, second's the best, third's the one with the hairy chest"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Nice to see UKIP finish beneath the Monster Raving Looney Party.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That prose is embarrassing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Serious parties beat joke parties.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Telegraph is the Boris Johnson fan club now so not that surprising

• Options
    I didn't notice straight off but Labour very nearly lost their deposit.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    This was an election that the Lib Dems threw the kitchen sink at and should have been a shoo-in for them. The fact that it wasn’t and that the Conservatives finished a close second, suggests Boris Johnson has got the Conservatives back into play electorally in what is a high risk winner takes all general election strategy. All the same, nothing in this result suggests anything other than ongoing voter unpredictability.

With all the indicators pointing to a 1990s style Lib Dem gain against a Government in difficulties, enter right the Tories Lord Flashheart, one Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, injecting confidence, charisma and optimism as a dynamic new Prime Minister and taking Government by the scuff [sic] of its neck. It clearly made a difference, giving Tories something positive to vote for and, more importantly in a 52:48 per cent Brexit split constituency, he had a renewed focus on taking the UK out of the EU on October 31. The Conservatives returned in this by-election to the party of leave and therefore Brexit, in a successful strategy to squeeze the Brexit Party vote. Boris becoming Prime Minister even for just over a week but with a new Brexit delivery agenda, injected an element of uncertainty into proceedings right up to the announcement of the result. In just over a week Boris moved his party from a position of no hope to coming close to victory.

The Telegraph always was a Tory paper but it seems to have really gone downhill the last few years (or perhaps I didn’t really notice that it was always this bad).

So what the Telegraph is saying is that the results were bad for Obama.

• Options
    How's about that dam eh?

Few people on my team can't get to work because of it

• Options
    Looking at Labour's by-election record under Corbyn and he hasn't actually increased Labour's percentage in any seat since 2016. Every by-election (4 of them) in the last two years has seen a double digit drop in percentage points (though turnout was lower every time).

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

I'm looking at that paragraph again, and realising that with a few very, very slight amendments, they could have used it if the Conservatives had won, too. So it may have been intentional laziness.
    I'm trying to work out what it means that the Lib Dems took away a Conservative majority of 8000. Even if all the BXP folks had gone Tory, that still would've left them a new majority of around 1500. Not sure that this means the Brexit messaging is working for the Tories, as it sounds like they've lost voters to the right and left, here.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Looking at Labour's by-election record under Corbyn and he hasn't actually increased Labour's percentage in any seat since 2016. Every by-election (4 of them) in the last two years has seen a double digit drop in percentage points (though turnout was lower every time).

Yes, but you see, while the overall number of votes where lower, the quality of the remaining voters are better! Instead of fair-weather Blairite scum, every vote Labour got tonight was a pure true believer Corbyn supporter, which is obviously better for Labours long term prospects.

Note; if this is Corbyn's actual excuse, I demand royalties.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    "Why don't you fuck off and join the Lib Dems" is proving to be spectacular advice.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    They should claim that as their slogan

Goes well with "Bollocks to Brexit"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    It's definitely absolutely damning that they're doing such a shit job in these elections

• Options
    The insistence on fighting a by-election they definitely weren't going to win when other left-wing parties had dropped out to give the Lib Dems a better chance of getting rid of the Tories made them look either petulant and pig-headed or willing to split the vote and let the Tories in.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    In case anyone apart from me cares about the exciting world of post-Brexit data flows, I found a site that has all the analysis from the last few years.
    A no-deal event would go about as well as you'd expect. But seeing ti laid out is rather grim.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I think it's the arrogance of being one of the main two parties that leads them to think of themselves as being above stepping aside for the greater good, even in situations where they're objectively not the front runner and can only get in the way.

Labour see themselves as being the only alternative to the Tories and the Lib Dems should be getting out of their way.

• Options
    From the Guardian blog.
    The foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, has been accused of “misleading the public” over no-deal Brexit and bringing the post of Foreign Secretary “into disrepute”.

This is absolutely accurate and Raab is a lying piece of shit. He claimed to have spoken often about no deal during the referendum campaign and that people wwere aware of it and that the Tories therefore had a mandate to follow no deal. An utter lie that the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 have now fact-checked and come up empty finding evidence of him doing any such thing.

• Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular

Serious parties beat joke parties.

The BBC explicitly calls this out in the final line of their story, it's hilarious!

But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The Monster Raving Loony Party beat UKIP. :lol:

I thought this was a joke post, so I started googling for what MRLP might actually stand for.

...UK elections are so much more fun than ours.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

I thought this was a joke post, so I started googling for what MRLP might actually stand for.

Lord Buckethead is a genuine political candidate who has stood against three different Prime Ministers in elections over the years. He is also an intergalactic spacelord with a bucket for a head.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Lord Buckethead is a genuine political candidate who has stood against three different Prime Ministers in elections over the years. He is also an intergalactic spacelord with a bucket for a head.

He's also explicitly anti-Brexit. I believe his exact words were "It's going to be a shitshow".

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

He's also explicitly anti-Brexit. I believe his exact words were "It's going to be a shitshow".

The only bone I'd pick with that is the "going to" part.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Casual wrote: »

The only bone I'd pick with that is the "going to" part.

To be fair, at that point it was more correct

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    From the Guardian blog.
    The foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, has been accused of “misleading the public” over no-deal Brexit and bringing the post of Foreign Secretary “into disrepute”.

This is absolutely accurate and Raab is a lying piece of shit. He claimed to have spoken often about no deal during the referendum campaign and that people wwere aware of it and that the Tories therefore had a mandate to follow no deal. An utter lie that the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 have now fact-checked and come up empty finding evidence of him doing any such thing.

To be fair, he is simply continuing the tradition of certain previous foreign ministers who were absolute shit at the job.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    From the Guardian blog.

To be fair, he is simply continuing the tradition of certain previous foreign ministers who were absolute shit at the job.

For example, er, Boris Johnson.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Corbyn's byelection results certainly fit with the theory that the relative success (compared to what was expected) in the 2017 general election was at least as much to do with external factors and circumstance as it was any positive feeling towards Corbyn.

At the time, Labour was the only realistic alternative to a hard brexit. May was busy shouting about "no deal is better than a bad deal", the Lib Dems were dead and there simply wasn't anyone else (outside of the SNP). May continued to compound it with the worst campaign I've seen in my lifetime, both on the personal and party levels. Hid from the press and the public, couldn't handle anything off script, endless inane soundbites, no costings in the manifesto, no real policy either... the list just goes on and on. Corbyn by contrast and to his credit did pretty decently on the campaign trail but it's fairly easy to do so when you have no competition.

This time around the Lib Dems have re-emerged as the leading remain party (again, exluding the SNP here for obvious reasons) and Labour are struggling to provide a reason for remain voters to support them. I can't see it getting better for them anytime soon either.

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    https://ukandeu.ac.uk/why-boris-johnson-will-go-for-a-referendum/

This article from LSE professor David Soskice, argues that Boris Johnson' best move to stay in power beyond October is to call a 2nd referendum.

I would like to hope he could be right, since I'm pretty sure Boris only operates based on naked self interest.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Johnson could push through a raft of splendid policies with no concern about public sector debt. His focus could be solving the NHS, improving transport links, especially in North, and giving a massive boost to education and housing—all policies he’ll get cross-party support for.

What? Unless "solving" the NHS is final solution type of thing, none of those sound like Conservative Party policy. Which sure, maybe Boris could be a great PM if he weren't Tory and got to lead all the other parties into undoing stupid Tory shit?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

This article from LSE professor David Soskice, argues that Boris Johnson' best move to stay in power beyond October is to call a 2nd referendum.

I would like to hope he could be right, since I'm pretty sure Boris only operates based on naked self interest.

Boris can also just ally with the Brexit party, he just has to No Deal, which is the easiest outcome.

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Boris can also just ally with the Brexit party, he just has to No Deal, which is the easiest outcome.

Right, but if he keeps his current macho No Deal schtick up to the end (and I don't think he has any principles or beliefs on the topic- just what people want to hear), then he runs the risks of losing a general election as Parliament tries to stop No Deal OR he gets left holding the bag when No Deal actually hits the fan.

I'm not sure blaming the EU and Labour will work if he's the boss man when the economy tanks and all the other innumerable problems of No Deal happen. I could see this being a weak area of the argument though and he actually can and will just deflect blame with a well run propaganda campaign.

fedaykin666 on
This discussion has been closed.