As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Their Worstest Hour

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    japan wrote: »
    At this rate it feels like a great way to pick up tons of anti-Scottish quotes from the government, so even if it doesn't fly you've gotten a great case for IndyRef2.

I mean

That's happening already, albeit not directly from the government

There's no shortage of brexiteers surprised and appalled to discover that:
    1) Scotland has a distinct legal system from England and Wales; and
    2) that constitutionally E&W law does not and cannot in any sense "overrule" decisions in Scottish or NI courts

The more thoughtful are particularly exercised by the fact that Scots law does not consider the actions of the monarch outside the scope of the law, as E&W law does ("we should exert ourselves at once to drive [the King] out as our enemy and a subverter of his own rights and ours, and make some other man who was well able to defend us our King").

Some of them are no doubt going to be further distressed to find out that, when hearing the Court of Session appeal, the Supreme Court will sit as a court of Scots law

As an American, that sounds... normal?

Well, the lack of an overarching body of law is strange, but the idea that Scotland has their own separate jurisprudence isn't. Even US federal court districts can have different legal precedents on the same issues, even though they're all ruling on the same body of written law.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    At this rate it feels like a great way to pick up tons of anti-Scottish quotes from the government, so even if it doesn't fly you've gotten a great case for IndyRef2.

I mean

2) that constitutionally E&W law does not and cannot in any sense "overrule" decisions in Scottish or NI courts

The more thoughtful are particularly exercised by the fact that Scots law does not consider the actions of the monarch outside the scope of the law, as E&W law does ("we should exert ourselves at once to drive [the King] out as our enemy and a subverter of his own rights and ours, and make some other man who was well able to defend us our King").

Some of them are no doubt going to be further distressed to find out that, when hearing the Court of Session appeal, the Supreme Court will sit as a court of Scots law

Well, the lack of an overarching body of law is strange, but the idea that Scotland has their own separate jurisprudence isn't. Even US federal court districts can have different legal precedents on the same issues, even though they're all ruling on the same body of written law.

Scots law and E&W law aren't even the same body of law, in a lot of areas separate but equivalent legislation needs to be passed in both jurisdictions to ensure compatibility. Same for NI.

More generally, unfamiliarity worth the idea that the UK has more than one legal system is a particular "little englander" trope

• Options

I mean

Scots law and E&W law aren't even the same body of law, in a lot of areas separate but equivalent legislation needs to be passed in both jurisdictions to ensure compatibility. Same for NI.

More generally, unfamiliarity worth the idea that the UK has more than one legal system is a particular "little englander" trope.

So, it's like state law. Understood.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I mean

More generally, unfamiliarity worth the idea that the UK has more than one legal system is a particular "little englander" trope.

Not as such, an analogy to the US system can give the misleading impression that there is some overarching law that applies in all jurisdictions (an equivalent of federal law). There isn't. There is only E&W law, Scots law, and the law of Northern Ireland. Westminster can pass legislation that applies in any jurisdiction, but generally it can't pass one act that applies in its entirety to all.

There is arguably an exception in that cases decided in the Supreme court, specifically pertaining to the acts of devolution, apply in all jurisdictions, but it's a narrow one

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    it is pretty unusual as a system because at first blush it makes no sense and then you realise it makes no sense and that is Good

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I mean

Not as such, an analogy to the US system can give the misleading impression that there is some overarching law that applies in all jurisdictions (an equivalent of federal law). There isn't. There is only E&W law, Scots law, and the law of Northern Ireland. Westminster can pass legislation that applies in any jurisdiction, but generally it can't pass one act that applies in its entirety to all.

There is arguably an exception in that cases decided in the Supreme court, specifically pertaining to the acts of devolution, apply in all jurisdictions, but it's a narrow one

Yeah, I realized after posted that I've should have said, "like State law if and when there is no applicable Federal law."

Or perhaps more accurately "Like when the US Government makes a request to the states about something protected by the 10th amendment (i.e. the one that says anything not set by the Federal Government is up to the states)" where some states might have a law or legal precident that says they have to comply, some might have one where they have to given the Feds the middle finger and not comply, and some might have no specific law, and it's up to the current state government and/or court system to decide whether they have to comply or not, and the Feds can't use a "yes" in one state to overturn a "no" in another, even if it was won in court (unless it was the appropriate federal district or US Supreme Court)

Like when that fraudulent voter fraud committee a few years back tried to get the states to hand over their voting rolls, and the answers they got were basically "Fuck you," "our laws fortunately say we have to respond with 'Fuck you,'" and "while we wish we could say 'Fuck you,' our laws say we have to comply, at least to a point."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Oh I wonder where the name Yellowhammer came from for the project of the same name, so I googled it. It’s a kind of bird apparently. This stuck out to me as interesting factoid about said bird.
    Its song has a rhythm like "A little bit of bread and no cheese"

That is uh, either a terrible coincidence of totally intentional.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    It is also the state bird of Alabama for whatever reason.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    From the Guardian's Liveblog.
    No further police action against Leave.EU
    While Johnson was speaking, Scotalnd Yard announced that no further action will be taken against Leave.EU, the Brexit campaign founded by businessman Arron Banks and spearheaded by Nigel Farage.

A Met statement said:

“On 5 August 2019 the MPS submitted a file to the CPS for Early Investigative Advice in relation to the Leave.EU investigation and this advice has now been received.

It is clear that whilst some technical breaches of electoral law were committed by Leave.EU in respect of the spending return submitted for their campaign, there is insufficient evidence to justify any further criminal investigation.

“Leave.EU’s responsible person has been has been told that they will face no further police action.”

The force said investigations into the spending returns of Vote Leave and BeLeave were ongoing.

Can't decide if the bolded deserves a "Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown." or "Eat at Arby's." Definitely not a good sign for future elections.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Nice to have official confirmation that, if you have enough money, the law simply does not apply to you.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    "technically" broke the law.
    Get the flying fuck out of here.
    Glad I'm leaving this piece of shit country.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Carole is a Guardian/Observer journalist who has worked a lot on Brexit backers like Aaron Banks and their illegal activities:

She has quite a good thread on how this all doesn't add up.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The Leave.EU campaign broke the law + The Conservatives are in power (...sorta) + The Conservatives have gone all in on Brexit = Don't prosecute or investigate further because it will be politically inconvenient for the government

Adds up pretty well to me.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    My first random baseless supposition here would be that, like the conservatives in the US, if you dig into the financing of this stuff too much, you will find russian money and other shady shit like that. And so everyone is trying to avoid opening that up.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Boris Johnson will 'technically' break the lawBoris Johnson 'won't be deterred' from Brexit on 31 October
    Boris Johnson has said he "won't be deterred by anybody" from leaving the EU on 31 October.

The prime minister said he was "cautiously optimistic" of getting a Brexit deal, but the UK would leave by the deadline "whatever happens".

EU chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said he did not have "reasons to be optimistic" over getting a deal.

Mr Johnson will meet him and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Monday for talks.

During the PM's speech, at the Convention of the North in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, he was heckled by an audience member who told him to "get back to Parliament" and "sort out the mess that you have created".
    Can Boris actually see a way to survive doing this? Not for the country (ha!), but for him politically?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Well he doesn't have to comply until the 19th. That will be crunch time.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I clearly don't know much about parliamentary procedure, but is there any way that parliament can pre-load the consequences?

If I publicly stated I was going to commit a serious crime on a specific day, if I was clearly intending to commit that crime, and I was clearly capable of committing that crime, and despite being told it was a crime if I did so, I said I was going to do it anyway, I feel confident that the police would be there to arrest me the moment I attempted the crime.

I mean, assuming they can't stop it any other way first, the very least that should happen is BoJo going to lockup the moment Brexit is made official, pending charges, etc.

It just boggles my mind that a minority PM is declaring he's going to disobey a direct edict from parliament. I mean, if he had a majority, he'd be able to be protected (ie, what Trump is doing), but he doesn't have that, mostly because he stuck the knife into a good portion of his own side.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think the circumstances in which you can arrest someone for a crime they haven't committed yet are pretty slim and that's a good thing.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I think the circumstances in which you can arrest someone for a crime they haven't committed yet are pretty slim and that's a good thing.

Yup. Be ready to take action on the 19th by all means, in the event he's not just blustering. But not until then.

I'm acutely aware of the time pressure, but I still think that's important.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So worst case, what could they do? He ignores the law, they arrest him and then what? Remove him as PM for being a criminal, then replace him with someone to go and beg the EU not to destroy us because of one criminal? Who'd they pick? Corbyn'd never get approved.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Oh, absolutely.

While you can be charged for crimes in advance (plotting an act of terror, etc), this isn't one of those things.

I'm more wanting to avoid the "Well, he said these things, now that's happened, what next?". Just saying parliament should be prepared to take action, along with the relevant law enforcement agency, so that if it DOES happen, in the immediate aftermath, the consequences for the Prime Minister are ready, and preferably public.

If it's going to be a parliamentary free-for-all, BoJo might think he gets to skate on legal consequences, even if he has to deal with political ones. If it's made clear that no, if you do this, parliament fully intends to see you locked up, and the full force of the law is brought down on your head, fuck you very much, you had your chance.

Because if Brexit happens, debating what happens to the PM is going to be VERY low on the "Shit's all fucked, we need to make sure there's food and medicine now!" scale. Having it pre-established solves that, and might even make the PM reconsider. I doubt it, but a small chance is better than none.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Oh, absolutely.

While you can be charged for crimes in advance (plotting an act of terror, etc), this isn't one of those things.

I'm more wanting to avoid the "Well, he said these things, now that's happened, what next?". Just saying parliament should be prepared to take action, along with the relevant law enforcement agency, so that if it DOES happen, in the immediate aftermath, the consequences for the Prime Minister are ready, and preferably public.

If it's going to be a parliamentary free-for-all, BoJo might think he gets to skate on legal consequences, even if he has to deal with political ones. If it's made clear that no, if you do this, parliament fully intends to see you locked up, and the full force of the law is brought down on your head, fuck you very much, you had your chance.

Because if Brexit happens, debating what happens to the PM is going to be VERY low on the "Shit's all fucked, we need to make sure there's food and medicine now!" scale. Having it pre-established solves that, and might even make the PM reconsider. I doubt it, but a small chance is better than none.
    A smart government would already be negotiating contingency agreements with other countries to shore that up. Because right now the only countries the UK could request aid from are an ocean away, and a quick response is going to be fantastically expensive. You know how much it costs to air freight food, and drugs from the US or Canada to the UK. Shit loads. Doing it on boats would be significantly cheaper, but you need to be planning for that a few months ago honestly, now is late but doable.

But calling on November 1st about trying to arrange the logistics to get that done would be fantastically expensive.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Seems kind of daft if there's only personal accountability in it for the PM, as opposed to everyone following his "orders", as well as a lawsuit to block them from being implemented.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    MorganV wrote: »

Oh, absolutely.

I mean, are you sure this isn't plotting an act of terror?
    I wasn't able to find the definition, but this seems pretty close in spirit.

discrider on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    We're into fairy-tale thinking at this point

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Checked further, and it seems that the terrorist act needs to be designed to intimidate an international government body or the public, not just an illegal act leading to massive damage for a political/idealogical purpose.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    We're into fairy-tale thinking at this point

If you can't beat em....
    <rides off on unicorn>

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    While Johnson was speaking, Scotalnd Yard announced that no further action will be taken against Leave.EU, the Brexit campaign founded by businessman Arron Banks and spearheaded by Nigel Farage.

A Met statement said:

“On 5 August 2019 the MPS submitted a file to the CPS for Early Investigative Advice in relation to the Leave.EU investigation and this advice has now been received.

It is clear that whilst some technical breaches of electoral law were committed by Leave.EU in respect of the spending return submitted for their campaign, there is insufficient evidence to justify any further criminal investigation.

“Leave.EU’s responsible person has been has been told that they will face no further police action.”

The force said investigations into the spending returns of Vote Leave and BeLeave were ongoing.

Can't decide if the bolded deserves a "Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown." or "Eat at Arby's." Definitely not a good sign for future elections.

"They broke the law and we're not pressing charges" is both an accurate and unacceptable abbreviation of that statement.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

A Met statement said:

"They broke the law and we're not pressing charges" is both an accurate and unacceptable abbreviation of that statement.

They broke the law, and we have all the clear evidence needed to prove it...

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    On non-Brexit news, Tommy Robinson was released from prison:
    A bearded Tommy Robinson tucked into a McDonald's and joked 'First stop, hairdressers' as he was released from prison today after serving nine weeks behind bars for contempt of court.

The unkempt English Defence League founder emerged with uncut hair and a beard as he was greeted by supporters who had gathered outside HMP Belmarsh in south-east London.

Photographs and video posted on social media showed Robinson smiling and laughing as he walked free, after serving just two months of a nine month sentence, reduced to 19 weeks because of time served.

The anti-Islam campaigner joked about visiting a barbers as he grabbed his beard and said: 'I know I look a mess - have fun with your memes!' and added that he looked like a 'ginger, cowardly convert.'

A flat end after all the hysteria of Robinson getting A LITERAL DEATH SENTENCE.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-cameron/britain-may-need-a-second-brexit-referendum-says-former-pm-cameron-idUSKCN1VY2CJ
    LONDON (Reuters) - Former British prime minister David Cameron, who took the decision in 2016 to hold a referendum on the country’s membership of the European Union, said another vote may be needed to resolve the Brexit impasse.

Go away Dave.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    It is also the state bird of Alabama for whatever reason.

*bird trivia alert*

The yellowhammer of Europe (the one with the call "a little bit of bread and no cheese") is a cute little yellow bunting.

320px-Goldammer_Emberiza_citrinella.jpg

The name is also used in Alabama for a completely different and larger bird, the northern flicker, a kind of woodpecker (whose call is very, very similar to the insane laughter of the pileated woodpecker.)

67f27ff5953d71d2d5e9b15e073b03c1.jpg

It might've gotten the local nickname "yellowhammer" since in eastern North America, the underside of flickers' wings are bright yellow. I don't really know the etymology, and anyway this is offtopic. Just explaining if anyone was wondering.

*end of bird trivia alert*

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-cameron/britain-may-need-a-second-brexit-referendum-says-former-pm-cameron-idUSKCN1VY2CJ
    LONDON (Reuters) - Former British prime minister David Cameron, who took the decision in 2016 to hold a referendum on the country’s membership of the European Union, said another vote may be needed to resolve the Brexit impasse.

Go away Dave.

Blimey, he doesn't say.

Should've thought of that possibility four years ago, shouldn't you, Dave.

Mind you, if there's an upside here it's the likes of the Sun and Mail plastering their front pages with "Johnson and Gove lied", even if that is accompanied by "says Cameron".

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Isn't that twat Cameron one of the fathers of Brexit?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Kind of, in the sense that sometimes a mad scientist might create a monster to work for him and then be shocked when the monster starts eating villagers.

He was being called on to carry out the referendum on brexit by a loud minority and he acquiesced, thinking it would be easily shut down and give him a free win.

So he instigated it for his own reasons but never really wanted it or expected it to actually happen.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Kind of, in the sense that sometimes a mad scientist might create a monster to work for him and then be shocked when the monster starts eating villagers.

He was being called on to carry out the referendum on brexit by a loud minority and he acquiesced, thinking it would be easily shut down and give him a free win.

So he instigated it for his own reasons but never really wanted it or expected it to actually happen.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMv69cNgUes

A couple of days ago Bercow gave a talk, largely concerning changes in the House of Commons since he's been speaker. He makes it pretty clear that the House would not stand by if Boris tries to No-Deal out

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Non brexit related, but it looks like the sharp uptick in violence and disruption means that Glasgow City Council is once again pondering banning, or at least heavily restricting, sectarian marches

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49651136

It would be about fucking time

I'm curious whether the fact that Glasgow City Council is now an SNP adminstration factors into this. My sense is (and I could be massively wrong about this) that they are less likely to be wedded to the kind of informal networks whose influence probably led to the council shying away from taking strong action in the past

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Go away Dave.

You can tell he’s got a book to sell.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Really, I think he's just been waiting for Boris to reach the office of PM so he can return the knife Boris used in the referendum.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.