As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Their Worstest Hour

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Labour say they won’t be a part of a government of national unity, and the Lib Dems say they won’t be a part of one led by Corbyn.

One of those seems like it could be flexible, especially if such a government is only supposed to last for a month until a GE.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Boris Johnson calls for 'common sense' compromise
    The EU should show "common sense" and agree to make changes to the Brexit withdrawal deal, Boris Johnson has told the BBC.

The prime minister said there was "bags of time" for the EU to compromise on the Irish border backstop plan before the Brexit deadline of 31 October.

He also warned MPs not to oppose Brexit, and to respect the 2016 referendum result.

The EU has said repeatedly the backstop arrangements cannot be changed.

Mr Johnson said the policy - designed to guarantee there will not be a hard Irish border after Brexit - would turn the UK into a "satellite state" of the EU if it came into effect.

Speaking during a visit to Oxfordshire, he said the arrangements would "keep us locked in EU regulatory orbit, locked in the EU trading system, unable to control our own laws".

"We need change on that, once we get change on that I think we're at the races, and I think there's a good deal to be done."
    I wrote an angry response to this that would almost certainly have gotten me kicked from the thread and/or added to a watchlist somewhere.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I wrote an angry response to this that would almost certainly have gotten me kicked from the thread and/or added to a watchlist somewhere.

why would you? just use your common sense, sheesh.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    "Look, just agree to give us everything we ask for, and then the civil servants can bang out how that works over a couple of weekends, easy."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The solution basically sounds like "Let us get every benefit from being in the EU through our NI backdoor but don't expect us to do anything for you. Oh also, we gotta be able to keep out the Muslims."

I don't even know how you completely cave in a way that gives Tories the ability to restrict immigration. To restrict immigration you need a hard border somewhere!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm consistently astonished by the apparently widespread brexiteer belief that a free trade agreement could be quickly signed with the EU following a no deal exit

Some no-dealers appear to be gunning for it as an outcome for this reason

I honestly cannot imagine any stance from the EU other than "trade talks cannot take place with a country in violation of a peace treaty signed with a member state, a precondition of any talks is the normalisation of relations"

japan on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    God I can't wait until Boris Johnson is just an answer to one of the easier questions on a pub quiz.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The threats and constitutional shenanigans around a likely attempt to try and force no-deal against the will of parliament again exposes the constitutional hole I mentioned a while back. The way I see it is that the PM (and cabinet) have perogative powers, the only authoutirty holding them accountable is nominally the monarch - who won't act - and a degree of control over the government by parliament. Recent experience with May and now Johnson shows that they're more than willing to trample over constitutional conventions acting as checks on their power. To prevent abuses of power, there needs to be clear and impartial guidelines for the monarch to limit the power of the PM + cabinet. What form that would take I'm not entirely sure on, but certainly there should be some way to prevent an appointed PM with no real guarantee of parliamentary support from shutting parliament out of the debate.

Also the fixed term parliament act needs to go die somewhere and be replaced by something that isn't a naked attempt to cling to power by the tories.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I notice Boris didn't actually say what the "common sense" compromise on the Irish border issue actually is. You'd think that'd be easy, it being "common sense" and all.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I notice Boris didn't actually say what the "common sense" compromise on the Irish border issue actually is. You'd think that'd be easy, it being "common sense" and all.

He didn't say there was one, he said they should show "common sense" and just drop the backstop. He's "very positive" that there's an alternative that could be reached if they did drop it, but obviously it's not his job to know what that technical workaround is. Afterall, it's the EU's problem, they should suggest something.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    A hard border with Northern Ireland is unacceptable to all sides, but what about a border wall made out of cushions? Just some common sense ideas.

• Options
    The fact that the backstop is supposed to be there until they can come up with the solution they want just doesn't seem to be registering.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The fact that the backstop is supposed to be there until they can come up with the solution they want just doesn't seem to be registering.

there is no solution, that's the problem.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    danx wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    McDonnell has apparently also said that they will block a yes/no ref question

Supposedly, they want the option of a Federal UK on there, and this is totally consistent with the fact that Dugdale pushed that internally for her entire tenure and the Labour leadership pushed her out over it (among other things)

What difference will that make now? We're almost certainly leaving the EU and 3 other parliaments will have to agree to a plan for Federalisation. If they put it on the ballot we could say aye and England can go naw then it's back to the same shit we have now.

Plus we've had this carrot dangled in front of us in 2014 with no follow through. It was just proposed to split the vote then. It'd be daft to fall for it again.

This. Federalism in the UK is an idea that has had its time and that time was 2014. It's something that was faithfully promised to us in exchange for staying in the union and it was so completely forgotten the day after the vote you'd be forgiven for thinking it was never mentioned. Even if the Scottish electorate was to believe that a second time, which I doubt they are, differences have cropped up that even federalism can't paper over. Scotland wants to be in the EU and England doesn't, there's simply no way to square that with the United Kingdom. The political cultures have radically diverged and the polarising of mutually exclusive viewpoints is getting more and more entrenched. It's happening at breakneck pace now.

Independence is coming now, hard to say when but the Tories swing to right wing populism and the political impossibility of removing them from government means it's inevitable.

Casual on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So if Scotland goes independent and NI ends up as some sort of weird international customs neutral ground will they have to stop calling it the United Kingdom? Maybe change the flag back to the red cross on white?

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    So if Scotland goes independent and NI ends up as some sort of weird international customs neutral ground will they have to stop calling it the United Kingdom? Maybe change the flag back to the red cross on white?

Wales is still a thing, so UK would probably stick around for a bit. If nothing else, it would hardly be the first country to have a misleading name.

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »

Wales is still a thing, so UK would probably stick around for a bit. If nothing else, it would hardly be the first country to have a misleading name.

Wales is technically not a kingdom though. But they did keep France in the coat of arms for like 300 years after the end of the HYW so there is precedence.

• Options
    It'll still be the United Kingdom so long as there's the bit surrounded by the M25 and anywhere else.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I mean there was a leftist plan for the UK to essentially become multiple independent nations within the context of the EU doing the rounds a while back. Scottish Independence, Irish reunification and heavy devolution for Wales, and we all look towards the European Union as the international stage for promoting interests.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    British GDP went negative last quarter.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/timeseries/abmi/pn2
    First time since 2012

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Can't plunge the country into a recession by leaving without a deal if the country's already in recession!

mantappingtemplewisely.gif

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/09/no-10-cancels-staff-leave-raising-possibility-of-snap-election
    Boris Johnson’s chief of staff cancelled all leave for government advisers until 31 October in a missive on Thursday night, raising further speculation the government is planning for a forced snap election in the aftermath of the UK leaving the EU with no deal.

It remains unclear if anti-Brexit MPs in parliament would be able to swerve a general election, as senior Labour and Liberal Democrat figures clashed on Friday over their parties’ apparent willingness to place conditions on any unity government or coalition prepared to stop a no-deal Brexit.

We live in In interesting times....

I am a bit confused of the Tories willingness to rule over a no deal Brexit. I assume they'll spend a lot of time/convincing the general public that any problems arising from no deal are purely down the the EU.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/09/no-10-cancels-staff-leave-raising-possibility-of-snap-election
    Boris Johnson’s chief of staff cancelled all leave for government advisers until 31 October in a missive on Thursday night, raising further speculation the government is planning for a forced snap election in the aftermath of the UK leaving the EU with no deal.

It remains unclear if anti-Brexit MPs in parliament would be able to swerve a general election, as senior Labour and Liberal Democrat figures clashed on Friday over their parties’ apparent willingness to place conditions on any unity government or coalition prepared to stop a no-deal Brexit.

I am a bit confused of the Tories willingness to rule over a no deal Brexit. I assume they'll spend a lot of time/convincing the general public that any problems arising from no deal are purely down the the EU.

that's what the whole backstop business is about

they get to claim that the EU is unwilling to compromise and so their hand is forced toward a No Deal Brexit

of course, the truth of the matter is compromise on the backstop will literally end up killing people, so of course the EU is unwilling to compromise

it's an intractable position, so as long as you can spin the narrative it's not your fault, you don't have to take the blame for the fallout of no deal

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it's transparently cynical and utter bullshit but it has just enough truth in it that anyone whose primary concern is getting Brexit done can use it to do the mental gymnastics to convince themselves the havoc caused by no deal isn't what they asked for and isn't their fault

• Options

Wait, they are doing a snap election immediately AFTER no deal brexit? Are they completely mad?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Wait, they are doing a snap election immediately AFTER no deal brexit? Are they completely mad?

They're malevolently stupid cunts, yes

• Options

they're probably betting they gain seats as their rabble is roused by a successful brexit but the consequences aren't clear yet

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

The plan is to time it so it's too late for anyone to undo the deed and hopefully pick up jubilant Brexiteer votes, but also too soon for it to settle in how these 'teething problems' are actually the new permanent state of fucked we live in and their popularity to tank with everyone on all sides. Then ride that fixed term parliament act as long they can.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Yea, the election that soon won't have any of the super huge consequences being readily apparent. The issues that crop up can be plausibly claimed to be temporary and will soon vanish.

Certainly a better option than elections six months afterwards.

• Options
    That seems like the kind of plan that ends in “and then he fled the country in an airplane under the cover of night.”

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The plan is to time it so it's too late for anyone to undo the deed and hopefully pick up jubilant Brexiteer votes, but also too soon for it to settle in how these 'teething problems' are actually the new permanent state of fucked we live in and their popularity to tank with everyone on all sides. Then ride that fixed term parliament act as long they can.

That last period is where the racist demagoguery starts really settling in. Conservatives worldwide are realizing that they don’t need to govern well if they turn their constituents into a white supremacist cult.

• Options
    That seems like the kind of plan that ends in “and then he fled the country in an airplane under the cover of night.”

long-term thinking isn't really in the wheelhouse of these kinds of people

• Options
    To be fair the only other viable plan for Boris I've seen was to basically try and lead an opposition government to his own party's policies. Dude does not have a lot of plays here.

• Options
    To be fair the only other viable plan for Boris I've seen was to basically try and lead an opposition government to his own party's policies. Dude does not have a lot of plays here.

to be fair

also due to a failure of long-term thinking

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Don't worry though, BoJo et al will be perfectly fine even if they ruin the country. They'll just leave politics and go in to lucrative careers making speeches and grifting for everyone they made richer whilst in government.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So, now that the Lib Dems are on the rise, suddenly an election after a No Deal crash is a bad idea:
    Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn has called on the United Kingdom's most senior civil servant to intervene to prevent Boris Johnson from forcing a no-deal Brexit in the middle of a general election campaign.

Corbyn wrote to Mark Sedwill, the cabinet secretary, on Thursday, accusing the prime minister of planning an "unprecedented, unconstitutional and anti-democratic abuse of power," after it was reported that Johnson could hold a general election the day after Brexit. The UK is set to leave the European Union on October 31.

• Options
    I think it’s more that he’s objecting to an election after forcing no deal through, rather than an election in which no deal is something the parties can campaign on before the deadline.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think it’s more that he’s objecting to an election after forcing no deal through, rather than an election in which no deal is something the parties can campaign on before the deadline.

It's this

In principle Johnson could call a snap election, setting a date after 31st October, and dissolve parliament. Thus no-deal is a fait accompli with no opportunity for parliament to intervene

Whether or not this is legal is a current hot topic of debate among constitutional lawyers, the "purdah" convention is supposed to stop governments making significant policy decisions during election campaigns, precisely to restrain governments that don't expect to win an election from doing anything wacky

• Options
    Channel 4 news presenter.

Why aren’t you fucking cunts running for the microphone to scream about how this is terrible? Nngghhhrghhghh

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is Labour being run by an assortment of panicked voles, leagues out of their depth? In this investigation, we will

This discussion has been closed.