As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2019: LSU wins, it's now the offseason, where nothing ever happens

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Y'all, watch the this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwFzgDlr2e0&feature=onebox

especially when Arizona goes to kick a FG near the end

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Btw, if you're worried about whether you picked BYU or Utah, you can @ me here if you want everyone to know your picks, or PM me if you don't and I can let you know what you picked.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    @ASimPerson I picked Utah, right?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    @ASimPerson I picked Utah, right?

Yes.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m cool not knowing

• Options
    Oy, just noticed the response part of the form wasn't updated either. It's almost like I hadn't done this in 8 months :?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Because the NCAA continues to be a horrible organization that needs to have its headquarters dismantled to the brick and the plot salted, we have a story where a player's medical hardship transfer was denied because they were skeptical of his mother's brain tumor being serious:
    Hoffman said he chose to transfer to the Hokies to be closer to his mother Stephanie, while she recovers from a series of 2017 surgeries to remove a non-cancerous brain tumor. The surgeries saved her life, but she is going blind in her left eye, is deaf in her left ear, and suffers from facial paralysis.

Theoretically, Hoffman was the perfect candidate for the medical family hardship waiver, since he halved his commute by moving two hours closer to his family’s home in Statesville, North Carolina. Brock’s father Brian is a recruiter who needs to travel for work, and Brock regularly is responsible for driving his mother to her appointments in Winston-Salem. The NCAA’s initial grounds for denial—Blacksburg is five miles outside the accepted 100-mile radius for such waivers; Stephanie’s condition has improved over time—were bullcrap. Laid out, the process is reminiscent of the evil you’d find in a health-insurance horror story—except in this case, the NCAA isn’t even providing that for Brock’s mom, while it also superficially questions the circumstances that force her to keep working.

According to Mike Niziolek of the Roanoke Times, the NCAA questioned the seriousness of Hoffman’s mother’s condition and reasoned that it could not be all that severe since she hadn’t retired from her job as a schoolteacher. “We have almost a million dollars of medical bills,” Brian Hoffman said. “She’s a teacher and doesn’t have enough years to get full pay from her pension. We simply couldn’t afford it.”

The NCAA also denied the waiver because Brock initiated transfer procedures two years after Stephanie had her first surgery. A new rule, stating that transfers for family medical reasons “must occur within or immediately after the academic year,” was put into place over the summer.

The thing is, this ruling makes no sense from any perspective, because acting like the villain in a John Grisham novel has no benefit whatsoever. If Emmert was smart, he'd publicly grant the waiver, then go and fire all the people involved in the ruling on grounds of gross incompetence.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Because the NCAA continues to be a horrible organization that needs to have its headquarters dismantled to the brick and the plot salted, we have a story where a player's medical hardship transfer was denied because they were skeptical of his mother's brain tumor being serious:
    Hoffman said he chose to transfer to the Hokies to be closer to his mother Stephanie, while she recovers from a series of 2017 surgeries to remove a non-cancerous brain tumor. The surgeries saved her life, but she is going blind in her left eye, is deaf in her left ear, and suffers from facial paralysis.

Theoretically, Hoffman was the perfect candidate for the medical family hardship waiver, since he halved his commute by moving two hours closer to his family’s home in Statesville, North Carolina. Brock’s father Brian is a recruiter who needs to travel for work, and Brock regularly is responsible for driving his mother to her appointments in Winston-Salem. The NCAA’s initial grounds for denial—Blacksburg is five miles outside the accepted 100-mile radius for such waivers; Stephanie’s condition has improved over time—were bullcrap. Laid out, the process is reminiscent of the evil you’d find in a health-insurance horror story—except in this case, the NCAA isn’t even providing that for Brock’s mom, while it also superficially questions the circumstances that force her to keep working.

According to Mike Niziolek of the Roanoke Times, the NCAA questioned the seriousness of Hoffman’s mother’s condition and reasoned that it could not be all that severe since she hadn’t retired from her job as a schoolteacher. “We have almost a million dollars of medical bills,” Brian Hoffman said. “She’s a teacher and doesn’t have enough years to get full pay from her pension. We simply couldn’t afford it.”

The NCAA also denied the waiver because Brock initiated transfer procedures two years after Stephanie had her first surgery. A new rule, stating that transfers for family medical reasons “must occur within or immediately after the academic year,” was put into place over the summer.

The thing is, this ruling makes no sense from any perspective, because acting like the villain in a John Grisham novel has no benefit whatsoever. If Emmert was smart, he'd publicly grant the waiver, then go and fire all the people involved in the ruling on grounds of gross incompetence.

But then he's firing himself.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    I’m thinking this only happens with football for some reason.......

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I’m thinking this only happens with football for some reason.......

No, this sort of gooseshit happens in all sorts of college athletics - there was a case a few years back where a top women's basketball prospect was denied a transfer after the coach that recruited her left.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

From what I heard on Golic&wingo, the grounds for denial of the appeal weren’t even put into place until after the first request had been denied.

April- request denied
    June- “100 miles” rule and “current academic year” rule put into place
    Now- appeal denied based on new rules that look like they were specifically put into place to deny this kid

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

If you're not following Mac Loudermilk on Twitter dot com, I think you should fix that.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    If you want to go for max points, get your picks in before the Holy War tonight.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    UCLA kicks off in less than 2 hours.

If you all need me, I'll be in the other room, curled up in a ball and dry heaving.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

If you all need me, I'll be in the other room, curled up in a ball and dry heaving.

I'll be at my high school's opener. Kids think they're gonna get crushed.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The truest trap I have ever laid in this thread: making fans jump up to declare that no, in fact their favorite team is the actual most overrated team in college football.

I was late and couldn't advocate for my pre-season ranked team coming off the heels of a 4-8 season!

• Options
  • Options

I'll be at my high school's opener. Kids think they're gonna get crushed.

Only a 15-0 loss! They got I think six first downs the entire game, fumbled four times, had a punt blocked, and shanked two more punts. Also took a safety when the QB decided running wide on a belly play was a good idea at his own 3.

• Options
    So is Chip toast? Because I saw the fourth quarter and that is a bad football team.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Yellowjackets weren't ready

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    So is Chip toast? Because I saw the fourth quarter and that is a bad football team.

I’m laughing to stop myself from crying.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    That UCLA offense looked bad but I was assuming that the Cincy D is also pretty good, being an 11 win team last year.

That qb though. Man..he made a lot of awful throws

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    I would like to note that I would have picked South Dakota State straight up or against the spread vs. Minnesota. The Gophers being the trendy Big Ten West pick was the dumbest fucking thing.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Picks this year will be made by my SO picking based on mascots as I introduce her to CFB

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Way to put up a fight USF...

• Options
    Purdue really Purdue'd it.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I mean, at least we started the season that way so I can go back to not caring about football again. We’ll probably ruin someone else’s season still.

Would have been a real bitch if they had won a couple there and built that false hope up more.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Purdue really Purdue'd it.

God dammit, I was watching that game and Purdue seemed like they were gonna be competent so I turned it off and went to sleep since I had been up since 3am. Why did I miss that gloriousness?!

• Options
    Barrett ->> Haskins ->>>>>>>> Fields

• Options
    Barrett ->> Haskins ->>>>>>>> Fields

Pretty sure my high school would offer more resistance than FAU's defense.

• Options
    Oh for sure and I’m confident I’ll come down by the time OSU has it’s token away loss to a B1GW or home loss to Sparty

• Options
    I hate that I’m excited for football again

• Options
    Oh for sure and I’m confident I’ll come down by the time OSU has it’s token away loss to a B1GW or home loss to Sparty

Sparty's offense will not score 20 points in any Big Ten game.

• Options

Which is fine because their game plan is always summon bad weather and win in the final minute on some extreme bullshit

Btw already realizing nobody at OSU can coach good QB timing-via-footwork. Fields is just improvising every play and their O-Line is still playing on their back feet as a result and getting dominated by FAU’s line.

Harbaugh HAS to do it this year.

• Options

Which is fine because their game plan is always summon bad weather and win in the final minute on some extreme bullshit

Btw already realizing nobody at OSU can coach good QB timing-via-footwork. Fields is just improvising every play and their O-Line is still playing on their back feet as a result and getting dominated by FAU’s line.

We only have two DBs I have any faith in.

• Options
    edited August 2019

I get that it’s opposite-year for Michigan, but unless OSU figures out a game plan that lets their O-line know what play is being run, they should be extremely vulnerable to pressure from just an average 4-man rush. I would expect Michigan’s youngsters to be up to that task.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

I get that it’s opposite-year for Michigan, but unless OSU figures out a game plan that lets their O-line know what play is being run, they should be extremely vulnerable to pressure from just an average 4-man rush. I would expect Michigan’s youngsters to be up to that task.

That's our other issue!

• Options
    People losing their minds on one of the Husker groups I follow. Calling Martinez trash.

Just. Goddamnit.

This kind of shit makes it hard to be a fan.

• Options
    And after half-

pick 6 for a td and a punt return for a td

Stupid asshole reactionary man child fans blowing up after a half of football can eat it.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    This JMU/WVU game is sloppy and fun