As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2019: LSU wins, it's now the offseason, where nothing ever happens

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    mVLWKDq.png
    pqBvvam.png

Our winners this week are @Assuran, @CSStheGr8, and @Qanamil! Congratulations!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Aw man had a 9 and made up no ground because everyone picked well this week

Good job @everyone

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Oh man, two points? I could coach UConn with those numbers! Woo!
    Sorce wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »
    well Georgia losing to an unranked just happened
    Every team needs a high quality loss.

Georgia better hope that turns into one.

Ppffffftttahahahahaha yeah, ok.

“High quality” is not a term you associate with Muschamp.
    Don't get me wrong, I was laughing while I was typing that post.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Owen is once again a disappointment to me.

5 points?!?

• Options
    That would have been a good score in previous weeks

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Poll is up and the Gophers are ranked 20th, the highest they've been in 11 years (when they lost 4 straight under Tim Brewster to finish 7-6 and earn an Insight Bowl Loss to Kansas) and they are on an 8 game win streak dating back to last year, the longest since 1948-49

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Chalk did well for me I see

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey goober! Where's the picks?

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    They're coming today. We were trying to figure some games out because this week is good-not-great and there were some questions on what should be GotCotW.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    They're coming today. We were trying to figure some games out because this week is good-not-great and there were some questions on what should be GotCotW.

What are you talking about? 0-6 Rice vs 2-4 UTSA is right there.

• Options
    WEEK 8: SACK TIME IS ETERNAL. ALL HAIL SACK TIME.

Straight Up
    #9 Florida (-5) @ South Carolina - For all of their jokes, the Shutdown Fullcast does do excellent football analysis, and their explanation for why Georgia lost last week was very on-point: the Bulldogs ran into a team that does even less than they do. It's a pretty good description of South Carolina football under Will Muschamp, and I wish Ryan Hilinski were in a better football situation. Meanwhile, Florida actually looks like a good team? I'm as shocked as you all are.

Iowa State (-7) @ Texas Tech - Texas Tech did not deserve to lose to Baylor last week. That's all I really have here. Fuck Baylor.

Duke @ Virginia (-3) - Welcome to this week's check-in on everyone's favorite division, the ACC Coastal. Both Duke and Virginia are currently in the lead for the division at 2-1, tied with North Carolina. Pitt is maybe the favorite at this point to come out on top? Even teams that have been subpar like Miami and Georgia Tech are still technically in contention. Anyway, I can't wait to see Virginia Tech fall ass-backwards into the division title for no real reason.

Tulane @ Memphis (-4) - Man, what a fun game. Outside of an early road loss to Auburn, Tulane has alternated between good and very good, and are at 5-1 which never really happens at Tulane all that often. Memphis suffered its first loss of the year on the road to Temple last week, but with the recent slide at UCF, they're still in a prime position to make some noise in the AAC. And that's what makes this game so intriguing: a Tulane win here may all-but eliminate Memphis in the division, especially with SMU doing as well as it is. And SMU's current run also puts pressure on Tulane to keep pace. Just a fascinating game that a lot of people will miss because some shitty B1G game will be on. Speaking of shitty games....

Against the Spread
    Houston (-21.5) @ Connecticut - I lobbied hard to get this one on the list this week, because I find everything here so fascinating. On the one hand, you have Houston, a program that makes a lot of noise about having high expectations ("we fire coaches for going 8-4") but is now openly tanking the season. It's a bizarre strategy that we don't really see at the college level, and while I think it is shitty for the players I can't help but watch what's happening. And then we get to the other side of the field to UConn, one of the worst teams at the FBS level, but with a coach with one of the more hilarious contracts in the country. Like, look at some of this:

It's amazing, and I'm so excited about UConn's twitter feed bragging about outscoring Houston in the second half en route to a 28 point loss.

Temple @ #19 Southern Methodist (-7.5) - And then we get to this week's marquee AAC matchup, where SMU looks to continue their ridiculous run this season against the always-stingy Temple defense. The ramifications for this game go way beyond SMU's continued quest to get the Group of 5 NY6 auto-bid, however; Temple suddenly finds itself tied for the lead in its division thanks to UCF slipping, and they could really use a win to keep pace with Cincinnati. Intrigue all over the AAC this week!

#17 Arizona State @ #13 Utah (-13.5) - Not to be outdone, the Pac-12 is coming in with two pivotal division matchups this week. First up, this matchup between the Sun Devils and Utes which will help decide the pecking order in the South. Herm Edwards continues to win games in Tempe in part because he somehow drags opponents into NFL-type nightmare games that opposing teams are ill-equipped to play. Unfortunately, NFL-type nightmare games are exactly what the Utes do best, so we'll see if the Fighting Herms' luck will run out.

#16 Michigan @ #7 Penn State (-8.5) - Anything I write here will pale in comparison to the group gnashing of teeth that will occur amongst the resident Michigan fans once this game begins, so pass.

Tennessee @ #1 Alabama (-34.5) - THE THIRD SATURDAY IN OCTOBER! Honestly, we haven't featured Alabama all that often this year, in part because they've just been a freight train running over opponents, and there's no real joy in talking about that on a weekly basis. But considering this is a...rivalry....game, we felt it was a good chance to let Alabama fans preen a little and remind them that death comes for all of us in time. Tennessee fans could also use that reminder, but maybe for different reasons.

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK (Straight Up)
    #12 Oregon (-3) @ #25 Washington - And now to the other major Pac-12 tilt, which not only has division implications but is a TRULY HEATED RIVALRY! Oregon and Washington fans really do not like each other, which is always fun to watch from a distance, but this is truly one of the most heated rivalries in the conference. And, even beyond that, this game has some secret COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF IMPLICATIONS! Oregon is not yet out of the hunt, and if they managed to win the conference without losing a game the rest of the way, they could make an argument to make the playoffs, though they'd need some help from some of the remaining undefeateds losing a game or two.

Go here to enter your choices: https://forms.gle/VKjWC5iQ1KjCfwrC7

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Ha! I won't be complaing about the Michigan game I will be drunk at an early halloween party and will remain blissfully ignorant of what they do.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I don't think I can pick against Herm. Playing to win the game is an optimal strategy.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Fuck Baylor

• Options
    Gotta remember to do this when Owen gets home tonight.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Ha! I won't be complaing about the Michigan game I will be drunk at an early halloween party and will remain blissfully ignorant of what they do.

This made me realize that next Saturday's ND-Michigan game will be on the Saturday before Halloween, thus the weekend costume parties and drunk merriment will be in play along with some students coming back to town from Fall break.

On one hand, gotta watch the game.

On the other hand, Ubering around drunk costumed party goers for big money.

:confused:

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Straight Up

#9 Florida (-5) @ South Carolina
    Iowa State (-7) @ Texas Tech
    Duke @ Virginia (-3)
    Tulane @ Memphis (-4)

Against the Spread

Houston (-21.5) @ Connecticut
    Temple @ #19 Southern Methodist (-7.5)
    #17 Arizona State @ #13 Utah (-13.5) - GO SUN DEVILS!!!
    #16 Michigan @ #7 Penn State (-8.5)
    Tennessee @ #1 Alabama (-34.5)

GotCotW (Straight)

#12 Oregon (-3) @ #25 Washington

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I do not expect Alabama to cover that spread. The second string will let the score catch up 10 points or something, even if everything goes swimmingly early on.

But, it's 1 measly point, and you're not getting me to pick Tennessee over Bama for a single point.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Owen has made his picks.

• Options
    For possibly the first time ever I have let my head win over my heart and did not pick Michigan.

So if they do win thats probably why.

• Options
    For possibly the first time ever I have let my head win over my heart and did not pick Michigan.

Owen picked Michigan so you should have. Gone with your heart

Owen knows shit

• Options
    God bless Randy Edsall's prop-bet based contract.

• Options
    I don't think I can pick against Herm. Playing to win the game is an optimal strategy.

After all, that's what's great about sports!

• Options
    Of course it's THIS UCLA team that finally ends the streak against Stanford.

I mean, I'll take it but it's only making me more angry about previous years.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options

Owen picked Michigan so you should have. Gone with your heart

Owen knows shit

Shit!

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular

That was the first UCLA/Stanford game that I’ve totally missed in 21 years.
    I guess you can blame me for the streak?

mkc.png
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Straight Up
    Florida @ South Carolina
    Iowa State @ Texas Tech
    Duke @ Virginia
    Tulane @ Memphis

Against the Spread
    Houston (-21.5) @ Connecticut
    Temple @ Southern Methodist (-7.5)
    Arizona State @ Utah (-13.5) - this spread is probably too big for Herm and the gang, but I'm not hopping off the Utah bandwagon just yet
    Michigan @ Pennsylvania State (-8.5) - Hanging out on this forum may be getting to me but at the moment I'm not picking Michigan against anyone who appears to actually be good
    Tennessee @ Alabama (-34.5) - Betting on a backdoor cover is usually stupid, but that's what I'm doing. Bama's gotta put in the backups at some point, right?

Game of the Week
    Oregon @ Washington Not crazy about the OL-DL matchups in this game, and Oregon probably has the better QB, but you know, fuck the Ducks, Bow Down, etc

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    The crowd at Northwestern/OSU sounds like a high school game crowd

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The crowd at Northwestern/OSU sounds like a high school game crowd

northwestern-fan.jpg

• Options
    Lord Dave wrote: »

That was the first UCLA/Stanford game that I’ve totally missed in 21 years.
    I guess you can blame me for the streak?

If I wasn’t paid to be snarky about them, I’d have probably skipped it also.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Still don't expect to win, but glad the chickens are holding even with florida.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    MINNESOTA BIG TEN WEST CHAMPS

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Illinois suddenly not sucking at run defense is fucking bizarre.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I skipped the Wisconsin game assuming it'd be a blowout. Wth?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    The key sequence was Wisconsin 1st and goal from the 2 and Taylor only gets the ball once before they kicked a field goal to go up 9.

• Options
    There's a lot of Rutgers going on early.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    The key sequence was Wisconsin 1st and goal from the 2 and Taylor only gets the ball once before they kicked a field goal to go up 9.

I hate it when coaches try to out smart themselves. Give the ball to the best running back in college football three times from the 3 yard line.

Anyways, now I'm even more concerned about next week. Wisconsin is going to be angry.

• Options
    Assuran wrote: »

I hate it when coaches try to out smart themselves. Give the ball to the best running back in college football three times from the 3 yard line.

Anyways, now I'm even more concerned about next week. Wisconsin is going to be angry.

Chryst pulling that is the single biggest weakness on that team. He did it last year against Michigan and it turned a close game into a blowout.