Options

What is the Most 90's Image?

14567810»

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I remember trying to play Warcraft over dial up and calling back and forth with my buddy making sure we had the right IPs and then waiting ten minutes to call back and no that didn't work you try calling me okay hang up.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    The machine had been empty by decree of state law for several years, but we still took at least $50 out of it a week, which I guess explains why the owner left it out there.

This is exactly the sort of grift that I like.

You could even see inside that it was empty, and the card inserts that showed the available brands had been taken out of all the buttons. And it wasn't even plugged in, so the actual dollar bill feed wouldn't work. But the coin feed didn't need electricity.

I was always surprised people didn't come to the front desk to complain, but now I'm imagining the kind of embarrassment I'd feel after feeding a bunch of coins to such an obviously inoperable machine, and I'd accept that as a "hide my shame" tax too.

or since they were all teenagers they didn't want to get caught trying to buy cigarettes when they were not of age

My stepmother tried to get me to buy a pack for her when I was about 13 or 14 during a summer break from school; she couldn't seem to accept the notion that what she was asking me to do was illegal on so many levels. I ended up being taken back to the house in a squad car because I begged the cop in the store to do so and maybe, kinda, sorta try to get it through her thick skull that the law doesn't conform to privilege, she just got used to getting away with shit when she was younger.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    where my Discworld MUD screenshots at

the game where fighting anything was like being in an overpopulated chat room where all anyone said was how close to death you were

the game where most of the quests were harder than cracking the fucking enigma code*

Hey, this is a weird door! Maybe I need to look nearby for clues on how to open it! Or maybe I need to be 40 levels higher and a different class and have said five specific words to an old woman who lives in a storm water drain! I can't tell which and I'll get banned if I ask!

the game where a spooky disappearing shop was frequently used as an intercontinental bus service

the game where you could buy a wizard hat, unfold it into a tent, get inside, fold it back up and be trapped there until an admin manually removed you

the game where I discovered that a burglar-alarm spell no one ever used would create a demon that sat on your shoulder and insulted you, and pretty soon a bunch of us were all casting it in the same room at once and we nearly opened a portal to hell

Butler on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Oh damn now I'm remembering how portals worked in that game.

Once you got to be a mid-level wizard you could start casting portal spells to places you'd visited. This was a big deal because there was no fast-travel system, and taking a carriage or boat cost significant in-game money and time. It was also the first thing you could do as a wizard that was properly useful to other players, so you were really excited to start casting it. But! To "store" a destination for your portal you had to have an object to store it in, and the lower your level the heavier the object.

(Cut to a wizard with pockets full of cobblestones doing their best to pass "sweaty and lumpy" off as "mystical".)

Also, as with most wizard spells, there was a big level gap between "can cast" and "can safely cast". If you failed in storing a portal location, the cobblestone or what have you would be destroyed. No big deal, just dig another one out of the street and hope a city guard didn't come around the corner at the wrong moment. But if you failed in opening the portal, it would explode when you went through it and you might die, thereby against all odds making you even less popular with your very tired and injured party members.

Butler on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    where my Discworld MUD screenshots at

the game where fighting anything was like being in an overpopulated chat room where all anyone said was how close to death you were

the game where most of the quests were harder than cracking the fucking enigma code*

Hey, this is a weird door! Maybe I need to look nearby for clues on how to open it! Or maybe I need to be 40 levels higher and a different class and have said five specific words to an old woman who lives in a storm water drain! I can't tell which and I'll get banned if I ask!

the game where a spooky disappearing shop was frequently used as an intercontinental bus service

the game where you could buy a wizard hat, unfold it into a tent, get inside, fold it back up and be trapped there until an admin manually removed you

the game where I discovered that a burglar-alarm spell no one ever used would create a demon that sat on your shoulder and insulted you, and pretty soon a bunch of us we were all casting it in the same room at once and we nearly opened a portal to hell

I played the shit out of this game when I was younger.

The Assassins guild fucking sub-game of tracking people down trying to kill them.

The Inn that everyone spawned in being a central hub, and my friend dragging in the NPC that gives you phamplets and made your character uncontrollably hand out phamplets themselves, which then infected other. He got temp-banned for that.

The ever persistent rumour that maybe, just maybe, Terry Pratchett himself played the game.

That fucking game consumed years of my life, and I loved it.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

Fuckin

holy shit

I don't know why but this got me right where it hurts

"Goddammit, Grimblegore locked himself inside his hat again REALLY GRIMBLEGORE? AGAIN?"

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »

Fuckin

holy shit

"Goddammit, Grimblegore locked himself inside his hat again REALLY GRIMBLEGORE? AGAIN?"

The tent-hat was actually a pretty useful item if you used it correctly - you could die from exposure in certain parts of the world if you weren't careful, so the hat was a handy way to hole up for the night if you were stuck out in the wilderness. But yeah, if you collapsed it before you got out, the exit from the tent vanished and the hat returned to your inventory, and of course the game wouldn't let you open a tent while you're inside a tent because that could lead to all sorts of nested-tent shenanigans, so there you stayed until you swallowed your pride or just made a new character.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That MUD kept me sane while I was unemployed for six months

I was a thief who started in Ankh Morpork, took a coach to Ephebe to make my fortune stealing fancy scarves, then travelled the Disc learning languages and buying the fanciest of clothes

I then fell off a tower, broke my leg, and died of my injuries by trying to crawl too quickly to the healer

I thought I had an extra life but I think I lost my last one when an alligator ate me in the Genua sewers and I was more concerned with getting a new outfit than buying another life

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Ah yes, the lives system.

No infinite respawns in Discworld MUD, no sir! You get eight deaths. Use them all? Your character is GONE. You want more lives? Sure, that'll be $100 each. And getting $100 in-game was frequently more work than getting $100 in real life.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That's why I went to Ephebe

The citizens of Ankh never had much worth pinching, but the Ephebian women had a decent chance of wearing easily-snatchable silk scarves which could be fenced for a decent amount, and because you were out of Ankh Morpork you didn't need to pay the Guild a cut

I think there were other ways of getting lives that weren't prohibitively expensive, but were way more complicated

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

Fuckin

holy shit

The tent-hat was actually a pretty useful item if you used it correctly - you could die from exposure in certain parts of the world if you weren't careful, so the hat was a handy way to hole up for the night if you were stuck out in the wilderness. But yeah, if you collapsed it before you got out, the exit from the tent vanished and the hat returned to your inventory, and of course the game wouldn't let you open a tent while you're inside a tent because that could lead to all sorts of nested-tent shenanigans, so there you stayed until you swallowed your pride or just made a new character.

Nested-Tent Shenanigans is a great band name.