Options

What is the Most 90's Image?

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Has anyone ever owned going bald harder than Patrick Stewart?

Yul Brenner?

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    snip

unless someone's got Kurt Kobain drinking a Zima on the set of Double Dare, I think we've got a winner

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    1394633-romero_box.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Here's me(right) and @Erin The Red (left) as kids. Doesn't get more 90s than this.

MYuxsYk.jpg

This loses a point for the background not being this
    izcc0y9yar701.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    1394633-romero_box.jpg

Obligatory:
    0exqihinlapy.jpeg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    THE FUTURE IS FORSAKENED

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sorry this isn't an image but does anyone remember the XBAND? It was a multiplayer modem for the Genesis and SNES. I never got to try one personally but I remember the hype it generated. This is like a documentary that goes into how it was made and how it worked and... this is like actual wizardry. Even their choice to use a 2400 baud modem was calculated. It sucks this thing didn't take off as a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_5M-z_RUKA

I played a lot of Super Street Fighter on Xband.

Then I got a $900 phone bill.

I didn't play Xband anymore.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Why was that the goddamn noise? Like, David Bowie had been around for a while, we knew that there were weird arbitrary noises that were pleasant to listen to. Why did modems have to be so awful?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abapFJN6glo

http://www.windytan.com/2012/11/the-sound-of-dialup-pictured.html
    Why was it audible? Why not, one could ask. Back in the days, telephone lines were used for audio. The first modems even used the telephone receiver like humans do, by talking into the mouthpiece, until newer modems were developed that could directly connect into the phone line. Even then, the idea of not hearing what's happening on a phone line you're calling on was quite new, and modems would default to exposing the user to the handshake audio. And in case you accidentally called a human, you would still have time to pick up the telephone and explain the situation.

All you had to do to silence the handshake was to send the command ATM0 down the serial line before dialing.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    snip

unless someone's got Kurt Kobain drinking a Zima on the set of Double Dare, I think we've got a winner

The week that Kurt Cobain died the rest of that week into the next I knew of someone that wore Nirvana shirts with a black armband. This made me question what is Fandom? how really weird it is to be a fan of something and how it appeared to others.

Cementing this was Juliana Hatfield a couple of years later was talking about how Fandom to her was just really weird how people walk up to her expressing it and how offputting it was

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Why was that the goddamn noise? Like, David Bowie had been around for a while, we knew that there were weird arbitrary noises that were pleasant to listen to. Why did modems have to be so awful?

I still have a theory that dial up modems being heard by babies in the womb is what led to Dubstep's rise 15 years later.

Down pitch the dial up noise and it's the basics of dubstep.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    ouvpm9rosjx0.jpg

This is pretty damn 90s, as far as I'm concerned. That title card is everything awful about 90s design and appeal, and the show itself was pretty much 90s in a nutshell.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Big Dog shirts.

4s2yybmc2fmx.png

They still make these. It brings me no pleasure to report this.

• Options
    I'd take a version of that without any words, just the happy dag

• Options
    The Dag has gotten significantly buffer and more aggro since the 90s.

It brings me no pleasure to report this.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    The Dag has gotten significantly buffer and more aggro since the 90s.

It brings me no pleasure to report this.

:bigfrown:

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Wait, the Big Dog pulled a Dustin Diamond?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    big dog owns

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Back in the day when dial-up cost by the hour, my dad would tell me to get the fuck off the computer and go to bed. Sometimes when I wasn't able to sleep, I'd surreptitiously try to sneak back online at night.

Then that FUCKING dial-up noise would give me away and I'd hear my dad's door open and hoooooly shit.

Fuck you, dial-up modem noise. Why do you still play at full volume even though I've muted the speakers? WHY DO YOU PLAY AT ALL? WHY DO HUMANS NEED TO HEAR THIS SOUND AT ALL, DIAL-UP MODEM?

RT800 on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Back in the day when dial-up cost by the hour, my dad would tell me to get the fuck off the computer and go to bed. Sometimes when I wasn't able to sleep, I'd surreptitiously try to sneak back online at night.

Then that FUCKING dial-up noise would give me away and I'd hear my dad's door open and hoooooly shit.

Fuck you, dial-up modem noise. Why do you still play at full volume even though I've muted the speakers? WHY DO YOU PLAY AT ALL? WHY DO HUMANS NEED TO HEAR THIS SOUND AT ALL, DIAL-UP MODEM?

you just clipped the speaker wires on the modem my dude.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    I have a weird nostalgia for the old dial-up noise and I kinda miss it

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My brother and I weren't allowed on the Internet when we had dial-up without parental approval. Naturally when they went out we'd immediately get on the Internet. However we never did it for very long because turns out they would randomly call the house, which if the dial-up was active would let them know by the noise that we were being naughty.

This did not stop us though.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I called up a doctor's office the other day and, I shit you not, heard the dialup noise in this, the year of our lord 2019.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    I called up a doctor's office the other day and, I shit you not, heard the dialup noise in this, the year of our lord 2019.

Did you call their fax line

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Maybe, if that's the number that my insurance company gave me

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    These shirts were banned at my school. Apparently they still exist and people buy them?

ub7p3zy1df05.jpg

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Don't forget No Fear shirts.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I remember a girl at my grade school got in trouble for wearing a No Fear shirt the day she came back to class from her fucking brain surgery, and had a huge 5 inch scar with stitches on the back of her skull. Every single one of us petitioned the suspension because, if anyone gets to wear a No Fear shirt, it's the 11 year old that beat fucking brain cancer.

• Options
    If you touch an Affliction shirt and a No Fear shirt together I heard they catch fire.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

Oh man this video must be really informative for people who can read 1 point font

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    it goes with the article I linked! the full sized graphic is in there!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    8sefqksvda87.jpg

Why the fuck does the dog have a Hitler moustache?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    ceWGJ8c.jpg
    Dunno.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    I have a weird nostalgia for the old dial-up noise and I kinda miss it

We used to have a monthly family game night at Honest Jedoc's Down Home Bookateria. One time my teen librarian put together a trivia contest between the parents and the kids, where the kids would have to answer questions about the world their parents grew up in and the parents would have to answer questions about, like, Minecraft and Youtubers.

At one point, the kids were asked to listen to the dial-up sound and tell us what it was. The expressions of confusion and mounting panic as it played were really something to witness.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    TheStig wrote: »
    These shirts were banned at my school. Apparently they still exist and people buy them?

ub7p3zy1df05.jpg

These awful shirts were everywhere in my junior high (mid 90s), and didn't get banned because LOL Florida.

By high school (late 90s), they seemed to have faded from the zeitgeist, and the only time I remember seeing anyone wearing them was kids getting caught trying to ninja their way over to the antique cigarette vending machine in the bowling alley where I worked.

The machine had been empty by decree of state law for several years, but we still took at least $50 out of it a week, which I guess explains why the owner left it out there.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    The machine had been empty by decree of state law for several years, but we still took at least $50 out of it a week, which I guess explains why the owner left it out there.

This is exactly the sort of grift that I like.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

This is exactly the sort of grift that I like.

You could even see inside that it was empty, and the card inserts that showed the available brands had been taken out of all the buttons. And it wasn't even plugged in, so the actual dollar bill feed wouldn't work. But the coin feed didn't need electricity.

I was always surprised people didn't come to the front desk to complain, but now I'm imagining the kind of embarrassment I'd feel after feeding a bunch of coins to such an obviously inoperable machine, and I'd accept that as a "hide my shame" tax too.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Daikatanna photo is really 90s.