As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    @Stragint adafruit is an excellent source for microelectronics, they also have excellent guides.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    @Stragint adafruit is an excellent source for microelectronics, they also have excellent guides.

This site is awesome, thank you!

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    KiTA's Adventures in Ebay 40k: The Telemon Heavy Dreadnought chapter.

https://imgur.com/a/H5tCJsA

Ebay auction said "Legio Custodes Telemon Heavy Dreadnought With Iliastus Accelerator Culverin" but er, obviously missing the weapons. No big deal, I can buy them separately and I wasn't sold on the idea of the Iliastrus + Fist. I hear two Fists give you a Heavy Dread that'll eat Knights alive in melee combat (5 S16 D4 melee attacks that hit on a 2+), and two Arachnus storm cannons gives you a Telemon with some really needed anti-vehicle punch, although the new rules update for them cut the range in half, so... welp.

... actually thinking about it I wonder if I could pose a dual fist Telemon doing the dab.

All told it's pretty nice although I have no idea how to work with resin. I know I'll be needing some miliput to fill in the bubble that that one arm mount has, and I probably need like, sandpaper and stuff.

KiTA on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Today's Regimental Standard is definitely worth a read.
    Great tips for a Guardsman looking to hang out with their new Salamander Space Marine buddies.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    ImpFistsPreview-Oct16-LegacyDorn2ijxs.jpg

Imperial Fist Doctrine.

Jeeeeeesus.

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    The thing with resin that I've found is to be very careful removing pieces from the runners. Applying a standard clip and go mentality can easily result in chunks of actual model coming off along with the part you're clipping. Take your time on that front, go easy on it and you'll be golden. If you're going to sand it, make sure to wear proper lung protection as it's no good for them. After that make sure to give it a proper wash as the mold release chemicals are often heavier than the standard plastic sets.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    What do you use instead of clips? Or do you just clip far out and then cut down slowly until you can use an xacto to finish off?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    What do you use instead of clips? Or do you just clip far out and then cut down slowly until you can use an xacto to finish off?

Well for the tricky cuts I do that otherwise I do as close as I can get

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Imperial Fist Doctrine.

Jeeeeeesus.

Well hmm I am curious about the black templars but now I will still do my horus heresy era fists
    But yeah that's ripe for abuse

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

The only thing you have to do is clip carefully and be mindful of how much force is being applied to the model. Resin models can have some fairly thick gates, so it can be a good policy to clip the gate chunk off, then do a second one to remove the stub.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

Imperial Fist Doctrine.

Jeeeeeesus.

My decision to side with the Imperial Fists in 1999 has finally borne fruit.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    IH's FAQ is out. The only real change is that you can only have one character dread as it is now once per game.

Truly their reign of terror is over.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    IH's FAQ is out. The only real change is that you can only have one character dread as it is now once per game.

This is going to be incredibly bad for the health of the game. Even Ynnari at the height of their bullshit and the Imperial Doom list weren't this dominant.

I'm already hearing people saying they're going to be avoiding events for the foreseeable future.

• Options

This is going to be incredibly bad for the health of the game. Even Ynnari at the height of their bullshit and the Imperial Doom list weren't this dominant.

I'm already hearing people saying they're going to be avoiding events for the foreseeable future.

Agreed. Hell even the FLG folks agree that this is bad. The entire Chapter Tactics podcast which included Brandon Grant was saying this is bad for the health and GW needs to figure out something and that something shouldn't be in March because the damage may be done by then.

We haven't had a major yet but the SoCal Open is this month and that should be the absolute giant warning flag for GW.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    In contrast to that, Salamanders preview is up and it kinda sucks if you want to run a primaris heavy force because there are so few primaris units that have melta and flamer weapons, right?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So like what's the big deal with these iron hands?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Sleep wrote: »

The scariest thing about them is that there isn't really any one thing that makes them too strong. They've got an obscenely powerful character who provides great buffs like a 5+ invulnerable save aura, BS2+ to a friendly unit and up to six wounds of healing a turn for the ridiculously low price of 110 points (but a lot of winning lists aren't even taking him). They've got a relic that reduces all damage taken in an aura by 1. Want to snipe one of those buffing characters? You can't, they have a bodyguard strat so nearby marines can take wounds for them - and that's before you realise that the characters themselves are tough as nails. They can stack buffs on a Leviathan Dreadnought so that it's virtually immortal, with a 4++/5+++ save, with incoming wounds being halved and then being reduced by one thanks to the relic before getting healed by nearby techmarines and librarians (but, again, a lot of IH lists aren't taking this). When you've managed to inflict some damage against their vehicles it doesn't even matter, because they count double their wounds for degrading profile purposes.

Then you get to their offensive abilities. From the start of the game, all their Heavy weapons ignore the penalty for moving, get free re-rolls of hit rolls of 1, and gain a bonus point of AP. Suddenly Fliers armed with Heavy weapons are a huge danger.

Add all of that shit up (and more!) and apparently you get a near 80% win rate in tournaments.

Burnage on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    honovere wrote: »
    In contrast to that, Salamanders preview is up and it kinda sucks if you want to run a primaris heavy force because there are so few primaris units that have melta and flamer weapons, right?

FYI if leaks are right (and they have been so far) then Salamanders have the most powerful strategem in the game.

You use it on a character and you opponent cannot target any other unit if that is further away than them.

Which means you can have a character in front of your gunline with the strategem preventing it being shot, and then a scout unit in front of the character and out of LOS making him immune to being shot (because character).

This means salamanders will be totally immune to all shooting.

The source of these leaks has been bang on about everything else, so...

Edit: Obviously you could have non-LOS shooting clear out the hiding unit, but considering that marines now have 2 wound dudes with a 2+ in cover with potential negatives to hit, good luck with that.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Sleep wrote: »

The scariest thing about them is that there isn't really any one thing that makes them too strong. They've got an obscenely powerful character who provides great buffs like a 5+ invulnerable save aura, BS2+ to a friendly unit and up to six wounds of healing a turn for the ridiculously low price of 110 points (but a lot of winning lists aren't even taking him). They've got a relic that reduces all damage taken in an aura by 1. Want to snipe one of those buffing characters? You can't, they have a bodyguard strat so nearby marines can take wounds for them - and that's before you realise that the characters themselves are tough as nails. They can stack buffs on a Leviathan Dreadnought so that it's virtually immortal, with a 4++/5+++ save, with incoming wounds being halved and then being reduced by one thanks to the relic before getting healed by nearby techmarines and librarians (but, again, a lot of IH lists aren't taking this). When you've managed to inflict some damage against their vehicles it doesn't even matter, because they count double their wounds for degrading profile purposes.

Then you get to their offensive abilities. From the start of the game, all their Heavy weapons ignore the penalty for moving, get free re-rolls of hit rolls of 1, and gain a bonus point of AP. Suddenly Fliers armed with Heavy weapons are a huge danger.

Add all of that shit up (and more!) and apparently you get a near 80% win rate in tournaments.

I mean the one that won the tournament which was like 6 IH list used 3 landspeeder typhoons.

Talk about blowing dust of a unit.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    good god the salamanders doctrine bonus is a wet fart

between that and the stratagem its like this weird trap to obsess over flamer aggressors which I'm pretty sure might be one of the hardest to actually use properly units in the game.

flamer aggressors who are within 8 inches of an opponent, haven't moved, and are firing in their own shooting phase is a situation I'm 99% sure has never actually happened.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    good god the salamanders doctrine bonus is a wet fart

between that and the stratagem its like this weird trap to obsess over flamer aggressors which I'm pretty sure might be one of the hardest to actually use properly units in the game.

flamer aggressors who are within 8 inches of an opponent, haven't moved, and are firing in their own shooting phase is a situation I'm 99% sure has never actually happened.

Nah, to me this is for multi-meltas.

Drop-pod in a squad of devastators turn 1 with multi-meltas and a captain. I have to double check but flame weapons for salamanders are flamers and meltas not just flamers.

Basically Sallys can just melta anything they want to death.

Edit: The new dread warsuits work super well with this as well.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Oh, I have multimeltas. Most of my salamanders are smolmarines with the suitable armaments so I'm basically perfectly set for the bonus as is.

But if they're trying to get me to buy shit from the current line they're doing a horrible job.

also flamecraft doesn't work on overwatch what the fuck.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    So after a quick check it's really only aggressors and the two dreadnoughts on the primaris side that have flamers and none have meltas? And the relic Thunderhammer is also useless for primaris. With the rumoured stratagem the hat sounds like a real one trick pony.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    So after a quick check it's really only aggressors and the two dreadnoughts on the primaris side that have flamers and none have meltas? And the relic Thunderhammer is also useless for primaris. With the rumoured stratagem the hat sounds like a real one trick pony.

Primaris can take TH on intercessor sergeants now. And you can give them relics with a stratagem.

Who cares, smash captains for all!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Is this the self sacrifice strategem people are talking about for Salamanders?

If so I thought it could only be used on Infantry units (are characters also infantry units?).

Regardless we're not going to get a strategem that forces you to target one thing which you then can't target for another reason and stop a shooting attack altogether.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

If so I thought it could only be used on Infantry units (are characters also infantry units?).

Regardless we're not going to get a strategem that forces you to target one thing which you then can't target for another reason and stop a shooting attack altogether.

Characters can be infantry if they have keyword. Most SM characters are.

And yeah I can totally see this happening for two weeks and then maybe being faqed.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Infantry characters are infantry, yes. IIRC the strategem also only protects infantry, right?

It's not exactly the end of the world if Intercessors get to use what Nurgle demons have been abusing forever.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I can't link it due to being at work. GW just released an updated FAQ for IH nerfing a shit ton of things.

Major points:

1. Iron Stone targets on a single vehicle not an aura.
    2. The 5++ from the Iron Father only targets infantry not vehicles.
    3. Dread strat nerf the same.
    4. You cannot repair a vehicle with the psychic power if it has already been repaired.
    5. Iron father's repair is now a use twice but lost targeting the same vehicle wording I think.

Its a huge set of nerfs. They are still amazing but I feel this was a big step in the right direction.

FAQ is on GW community site.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/dj8nr7/they_listened/

Reddit link with it since I can read reddit at work but not Warhammer Community.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

And yeah I can totally see this happening for two weeks and then maybe being faqed.

The strategem says Infantry unit. So while a character can certainly have the infantry keyword, it doesn't necessarily make a character an infantry unit.

I've just checked some army books I have, and looking at Character data sheets, they are typically referred to "X is a single model armed with..." whereas units in their data sheets are described as "this unit contains..." (and this applies to units which can contain only one model, such as a broadside or talos).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options

The strategem says Infantry unit. So while a character can certainly have the infantry keyword, it doesn't necessarily make a character an infantry unit.

I've just checked some army books I have, and looking at Character data sheets, they are typically referred to "X is a single model armed with..." whereas units in their data sheets are described as "this unit contains..." (and this applies to units which can contain only one model, such as a broadside or talos).

Characters are units and single models. Just like a tank is a unit and a single model. Even so, as pointed out, people have been using this stuff with plaguebearers and pox walkers for a while to mess with the opponent.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So the stuff I bought off of amazon to do this LED thing came in yesterday. I plan on getting started tonight or tomorrow. Looking forward to trying this. If it goes well I'll probably be doing the same to my Monoliths I'm repainting.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    It's not shocking as I know the game is in a living beta? build {it in itself is just odd to think about} But I do feel they need to really work on the balance part not the paper rock scissors or the it works in a vacuum ideals as people will figure out the flaws fairly quickly and take advantage of it.

• Options
    The game's balance has been slowly getting better. It's really just the new Marines that have caused a massive upset because it turns out that if you take a strong Codex and then stack strong additional rules on top of it, things start to break.

But it turns out they're being pretty proactive about trying to rectify that, which is good.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Salamander Doctrine favors non-Primaris... interesting.

Also, woooo Imperial Fists. Dem yellow marine boyz iz bringin' da dakka!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The marines codex was not strong.

Edit: oh, you mean the new one. Okay then.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Next white dwarf has datasheets for the new vanguard units for SM Killteams and updates the intercessor datasheet with powerfist and Thunderhammer for the sergeant.

There isn't a model for those, right? Is gw breaking their no model no rules-rule for Marines?

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Intercessor Power Fist and Thunderhammer are coming out with the Imperial Fist Upgrade and Salamander Upgrade sprues respectively.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm starting to think the army building apps will need to start adding in which books you'll need to run your army and what upgrade sprues you'll need to kit out your models.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Everyone is saying nothing changed with IH, but I am reading the Ironstone and it got reworded away from being an aura?
    At the start of each battle round, select one friendly Iron Hands Vehicle unit within 3" of the bearer of this Relic. Until the start of your next battle round, when resolving an attack made against that Vehicle unit, if the bearer of this Relic is within 3" of that Vehicle unit you can reduce any damage suffered by 1, to a minimum of 1.’

That's a massive change. It now only affects one vehicle, and you have to choose at at the start of the battle round.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling