As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Chaincannons seem easily doable from Heavy Bolters. Just chop the barrel off and glue on something more gatling-esque.

These models are amazing, bits griping aside. Super detailed but ridgy enough that I'll be able to drybrush/wash my way to some okay-ish looking evil space mans.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I feel one of the changes/updates they should do the eldar is change the turret on the falcon
    You could use the current fire prism one just stick the starcannon and whatever in the slots. Because over the last 2 years I have shopped around for the parts I need to fix mine and see many have the same problems
    It wouldn't take much since the parts are they just a redesign of the sprue

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    So I just built a Nemesis Dreadknight.

Boy is that model finicky. What is the point of ball-and-socket joints in the ankles if the legs are monopose?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    So I just built a Nemesis Dreadknight.

Boy is that model finicky. What is the point of ball-and-socket joints in the ankles if the legs are monopose?

Kit bashing and saw the legs up to get different poses

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Also variable terrain (say you have one standing with one foot on a tactical rock™) and other basing elements.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Really I feel one of the changes/updates they should do the eldar is change the turret on the falcon
    You could use the current fire prism one just stick the starcannon and whatever in the slots. Because over the last 2 years I have shopped around for the parts I need to fix mine and see many have the same problems

I think I said it before, but the MK2 falcon kit from forgeworld was really good looking.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Thoughts welcome on my tentative AdMech Knights list
    ++ Super-Heavy Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [62 PL, -2CP, 1,324pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Exalted Court [-1CP]: Exalted Court: 1 Extra Warlord Trait

Heirlooms of the Household [-1CP]: Heirlooms of the Household: 1 Extra Heirloom

Household Choice: Questor Mechanicus
    . House Raven

+ Lord of War +

Armiger Helverins [9 PL, 157pts]
    . Armiger Helverin: Character (Knight Lance), Heavy Stubber

Knight Castellan [30 PL, 704pts]: Character (Knight Lance), Heirloom: Mark of the Omnissiah, Plasma Decimator, Volcano Lance, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Ion Bulwark
    . Two Siegebreaker Cannons and Two Shieldbreaker Missiles: 2x Shieldbreaker Missile, 2x Twin Siegebreaker Cannon

Knight Warden [23 PL, 463pts]: Character (Knight Lance), Heirloom: Mark of the Omnissiah, Meltagun, Reaper Chainsword, Stormspear Rocket Pod
    . Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ Heavy Flamer: Avenger Gatling Cannon, Heavy Flamer

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [43 PL, 675pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Forge World Choice
    . Forge World: Stygies VIII

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 82pts]: Eradication Ray, Macrostubber, Relic: Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land, Warlord, Warlord Trait (Codex 4): Necromechanic

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL, 30pts]

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [7 PL, 77pts]: Omnispex
    . Ranger Alpha: Galvanic Rifle
    . 9x Skitarii Ranger

Skitarii Rangers [7 PL, 113pts]: Omnispex
    . 6x Skitarii Ranger
    . 3x Skitarii Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 3x Transuranic Arquebus

Skitarii Vanguards [7 PL, 101pts]: Enhanced Data-Tether
    . 6x Skitarii Vanguard
    . 2x Skitarii Vanguard (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic Arquebus
    . Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

+ Fast Attack +

Sydonian Dragoons [12 PL, 272pts]
    . Sydonian Dragoon: Taser Lance

++ Total: [105 PL, -2CP, 1,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I think you might be able to squeeze two battalions in. The dominus isn't doing much. Swap him with an engineseerer. This lets you add one more ranger squad. Split your big squads out to minimum size. If you are just taking MSUs are better.

Vanguards also shouldn't have the arquebus because they are moving. Rangers+arquebus and vanguard+assault weapons (tesla carbine and plasma culvier).

I think you can probably get two battalions in here, 5 more cp to feed the knights. And just remember the AdMech are more just CP forms/objective holders. The Dragoons do rock though.

Edit:

Here is what I would probably use. Also you can use an artifact only once in an army. So your list is currently not legal. I don't have the character traits on the big knights. This gives you the same firepower but 5 more CP and a better balance on where the weapons are.
    +++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [110 PL, 14CP, 1,996pts] +++

++ Super-Heavy Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Imperial Knights) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP
    . Categories: No Force Org Slot

Exalted Court: Exalted Court: 1 Extra Warlord Trait

Heirlooms of the Household: Heirlooms of the Household: 1 Extra Heirloom

Household Choice: Questor Mechanicus
    . House Raven: Household Tradition: Relentless Advance

+ Lord of War +

Armiger Helverins
    . Categories: Lord of War
    . Armiger Helverin: 2x Armiger Autocannon, Heavy Stubber
    . . Categories: Faction: Imperium, Faction: <Household>, Faction: <Questor Allegiance>, Armiger Class, Vehicle, Armiger Helverin, Faction: Imperial Knights

Knight Castellan: Character (Knight Lance), Heirloom: Mark of the Omnissiah, Plasma Decimator, Titanic Feet, 2x Twin Meltagun, Volcano Lance
    . Categories: Faction: <Household>, Faction: <Questor Allegiance>, Faction: Imperium, Dominus Class, Titanic, Vehicle, Knight Castellan, Lord of War, Faction: Imperial Knights, Character
    . Two Siegebreaker Cannons and Two Shieldbreaker Missiles: 2x Shieldbreaker Missile, 2x Twin Siegebreaker Cannon

Knight Warden: Character (Exalted Court), Heirloom: Endless Fury, Meltagun, Reaper Chainsword, Stormspear Rocket Pod, Titanic Feet
    . Categories: Faction: <Household>, Faction: Imperium, Lord of War, Titanic, Vehicle, Knight Warden, Faction: <Questor Allegiance>, Questoris Class, Faction: Imperial Knights, Character
    . Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ Heavy Flamer: Avenger Gatling Cannon, Heavy Flamer

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP

Forge World Choice
    . Forge World: Stygies VIII: Dogma: Shroud Protocols

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Enginseer: Laspistol, Omnissian Axe, Servo-arm
    . Categories: Tech-Priest, Infantry, Enginseer, Faction: <Forge World>, Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus, Faction: Cult Mechanicus, Character, Faction: Imperium, HQ

. Categories: Tech-Priest, Infantry, Enginseer, Faction: <Forge World>, Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus, Faction: Cult Mechanicus, Character, Faction: Imperium, HQ

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers
    . Categories: Troops, Faction: <Forge World>, Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus, Faction: Skitarii, Infantry, Skitarii Rangers, Faction: Imperium
    . . Categories: Skitarii Rangers
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger: 2x Galvanic Rifle
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic Arquebus

Skitarii Vanguards
    . Categories: Troops, Faction: <Forge World>, Faction: Skitarii, Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus, Infantry, Skitarii Vanguard, Faction: Imperium
    . 4x Skitarii Vanguard: 4x Radium Carbine

Skitarii Vanguards
    . Categories: Troops, Faction: <Forge World>, Faction: Skitarii, Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus, Infantry, Skitarii Vanguard, Faction: Imperium
    . 4x Skitarii Vanguard: 4x Radium Carbine

+ Fast Attack +

Sydonian Dragoons
    . Categories: Vehicle, Sydonian Dragoons, Faction: <Forge World>, Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus, Faction: Skitarii, Faction: Imperium, Fast Attack
    . Sydonian Dragoon: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Taser Lance

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP

Detachment CP

Forge World Choice
    . Forge World: Stygies VIII: Dogma: Shroud Protocols

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Enginseer: Laspistol, Omnissian Axe, Servo-arm, Warlord, Warlord Trait (Codex 4): Necromechanic
    . Categories: Tech-Priest, Infantry, Enginseer, Faction: <Forge World>, Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus, Faction: Cult Mechanicus, Character, Faction: Imperium, HQ, Warlord

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers
    . Categories: Troops, Faction: <Forge World>, Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus, Faction: Skitarii, Infantry, Skitarii Rangers, Faction: Imperium
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger: 2x Galvanic Rifle
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic Arquebus

Skitarii Rangers
    . 3x Skitarii Ranger: 3x Galvanic Rifle
    . Skitarii Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): Transuranic Arquebus

Skitarii Rangers
    . 4x Skitarii Ranger: 4x Galvanic Rifle

Created with BattleScribe

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

I think I said it before, but the MK2 falcon kit from forgeworld was really good looking.

I agree
    8ubugzpc36u6.png
    Just it was I was looking for easier ways for them since I cannot beg or buy the fire prism sprue from GW

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Nine of my flight stands broke in my last move, and GW doesn't sell replacements for some reason, so the only way to get new ones is from recasters, which seems odd to me.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    Got my first 5-man CSM squad built and... How TF do you guys even approach WYSIWYG in 40k?

So many bits options and it seems like you never get enough of any of them. Makes me really uneasy even building these things without knowing more about the game.

"This counts as" is a time honored 40k tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_UXan8lQa4&amp;t=540s

:P

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Was by the game store, so snagged some more paint and a Magos (HQ) for my AdMech.

Apparently Ceramite White was discontinued, so I grabbed Corvax White.

I am 0 for 2 for GW white paints and not being old and chunky. Some Matte Fluid Medium turned it back into paint, at least.

Other than that, got my doombull and Celestra Grey / Ulthuan Grey to make "cool white" if needed. I also grabbed some Vallejo paints while I was down there. No woodgrain around (sadness), but:

Cold White 70.919
    Old Gold 70.878
    Neutral Grey 70.992

I can't tell the difference between Cold White and White. They look the same to me in the bottles (edit: and the Vallejo website. Maybe one is more opaque?). Will see how they are painted. Old Gold is a match for a very old GW paint called "Shiny Gold" that is discontinued.
    Nine of my flight stands broke in my last move, and GW doesn't sell replacements for some reason, so the only way to get new ones is from recasters, which seems odd to me.

Something like this?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2275897

Or this?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3618725

This suggests a "8mm PMMA round bar" as part of it

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2378195

Which would be... this?

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-8mmx250mm-Clear-Solid-Acrylic/dp/B07JLZM6TJ/

• Options

Because long ago I knew the ones in the eldar jetbikes would snap
    So I figured out how to use paperclips to avoid this but alas I misplaced my stands over the years

• Options
    edited December 2019
    KiTA wrote: »
    Something like this?

I mean the new ones for infantry models, but thank you anyway.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Something like this?

I mean the new ones for infantry models, but thank you anyway.

I'm not familiar with those... are they the curved ones?

• Options
    There are some blurry pics making the rounds and it looks like next year primaries Marines are getting bikes and speeders and maybe another tank.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I can barely contain my excitement for another round of Marine releases.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Old marines move closer to being squated.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

You're fed up with primaris already? Just wait for the even bigger and better version in round three, Trimaris.

I think most primaris releases look pretty cool - the infantry mostly - but yeah, how about releasing something else that's not tied up in a limited release or some big box full of old stuff that's older than most players.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

You're fed up with primaris already? Just wait for the even bigger and better version in round three, Trimaris.

I think most primaris releases look pretty cool - the infantry mostly - but yeah, how about releasing something else that's not tied up in a limited release or some big box full of old stuff that's older than most players.

It is a box that should not be opened

• Options
    Really I feel making the primaris anything other than gunlines is asking for problems.
    It might be a redesign of the current landspeeder and bikes. The bike is old not Ragnar old. But really doing assault primaris, landspeeders and bikes is basically negating the old marines. I know GW wants to push product. But this is not a good thing. There are many other things in 40k that need help more than new models. Some armies need updates to their current models. Some do not

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Well I have finished my current job today but I’ll just be moving to a different team while staying in the same department. I’ll be on the same floor and there will be an overlap with my old tram. However they still did a whip around and I ultimately got £50 of GW vouchers.

So in addition to confirming I’m a nerd (I believe it was suspected because I’ve played a bunch of games with one guy from work), I’m now the proud owner of a Stormsurge because it was effectively half price and I really like the model.

Hopefully the next psychic awakening with Tau will have a bunch of interesting stratagems and septs.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Stormsurge is a fantastic model

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I play Space Marines so while I am sad that they seem deadset on replacing half of my army with Primaris stuff I'm ok with more Marine releases I guess.

I also play Orks. Hey GW, remember Orks? Little green guys woth models that look like they're twerking? October 2017?

No?

Ok :sad:

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I mean didn't orks get like 4 new vehicles in October 2018? Not saying they are amazing or anything but they've got more than nids for sure and maybe CWE.

• Options
    More

Mechs

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I play Space Marines so while I am sad that they seem deadset on replacing half of my army with Primaris stuff I'm ok with more Marine releases I guess.

I also play Orks. Hey GW, remember Orks? Little green guys woth models that look like they're twerking? October 2017?

No?

I play Eldar and know the pain of the same figures are the same when I was in high school. It was a tease to have the new howling banshees and Jain Zar but nothing more. No more news.
    My brother says because Ragnar is so good of a mini is why they have not replaced him but if they pickle him...
    I know one of the rumors is there is a Space Wolf Vs Ork box sometime this Spring that Ghazghkul is getting a new mini as well. I feel many of the rumors we shall see about with the next book with the Tau/Necrons with the odd rumor of Illuminor Szeras getting a large figure on a 60mm base

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I converted a bunch of sigmar orks (savage orruks?) with 40k pistols and chainswords/choppas into 40k orks… they look great. So much better than the regular boyz.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

No?

In fairness all the new vehicles you got are pretty sweet-looking.

They really need to do a pass on everyone's basic infantry aside from, like, demons, Drukhari, Skitarii, Gaunts, and Firewarriors. Guard aren't bad either but I do wish there was more regimental variety available.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Firewarriors still look good, only the crisis suits are really looking eh

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I agree about the guard needs an update. As they could just redo the look of the old guard as there are people who have squirreled away their guard army if they kept it. So resing the Mordian iron guard and Tallaran as well as Valhallan would not be an issue. I still have an issue with the Catchatan beefy look. But seriously just do a couple of female heads this time

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Not a guard player, but they should legit have new kits for catachans/vostroyans/cadians/krieg/Mordian IG/etc. They've got such distinct flavour to each regiment they should absolutely have their own kits.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    They should switch to an app for rules and points changes in 2020 :<

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    pardzh wrote: »
    They should switch to an app for rules and points changes in 2020 :<

I keep saying they need to push the digital format to help iron out the silliness going on with the aps. sell a subscription model that auto updates the codex you have as well as the various army books [so if you play 40k kill team and Necromunda would be the same if someone else did just AoS or Warcry or Shadespire}

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    but then how will they require you to buy 6 books to play your army?

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Viking wrote: »
    but then how will they require you to buy 6 books to play your army?

You buy the book and pay the subscription to keep it updated

But really using Epub3 is silly since it's the least used of the ebook formats. But I feel GW can help the whole rpg/wargame industry by forcing a format like watermarked PDF for the ebooks. E readers is basically the wild west of formats as Windows or Microsoft ones will not use Epub3 anymore

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    If you started 8th Edition with a Space Marines army and bought every book with Space Marine rules as they were released in order to stay current you would have spent just under $400 so far, and almost all of the books would be obsolete.

This is why I don't buy books.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    If you started 8th Edition with a Space Marines army and bought every book with Space Marine rules as they were released in order to stay current you would have spent just under $400 so far, and almost all of the books would be obsolete.

This is why I don't buy books.

This is why I play Space Wolves and Necrons.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    New year, new players! I’ve got a new friend group at my new assignment and four of them have expressed interest in playing some war games. I think Kill Team is the way to go, and already started on some new squads for them. The intent is to start with a basic game and then transition into a narrative campaign that slowly (and literally) builds in Commanders and Elites as my friends commit to the game or hobby as a whole. I’ve got almost all of the Killzones and some additional terrain pieces as well, but I haven’t actually built any yet. In fact, I’ve only played Arena at home, and every other time has been a one-shot somewhere else. My plan is to start with the Sector Imperialis terrain from the base game and then some objective markers and Urban Conquest terrain from there. Will that be enough initially for 4-player games? What scenarios do you recommend? I’ve got the KT:annual too, so I think I’ve got about all the published scenarios. Any other advice for starting/running a campaign? These players don’t know much about the 40k universe so once they commit to an army I’ll be back for more faction-tailored advice.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    New year, new players! I’ve got a new friend group at my new assignment and four of them have expressed interest in playing some war games. I think Kill Team is the way to go, and already started on some new squads for them. The intent is to start with a basic game and then transition into a narrative campaign that slowly (and literally) builds in Commanders and Elites as my friends commit to the game or hobby as a whole. I’ve got almost all of the Killzones and some additional terrain pieces as well, but I haven’t actually built any yet. In fact, I’ve only played Arena at home, and every other time has been a one-shot somewhere else. My plan is to start with the Sector Imperialis terrain from the base game and then some objective markers and Urban Conquest terrain from there. Will that be enough initially for 4-player games? What scenarios do you recommend? I’ve got the KT:annual too, so I think I’ve got about all the published scenarios. Any other advice for starting/running a campaign? These players don’t know much about the 40k universe so once they commit to an army I’ll be back for more faction-tailored advice.

I would say do commando style raids behind the lines like raiding ammo dumps destroying lines of communication and gathering info. So one side is the raiders the other is the various teams to stop them
    So this way you can link them into a campaign