As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    My guess is that Bile’s rules will be a “here’s how to represent all those Chaos Primaris everyone’s been kitbashing since primaris came out” type army

The new CSM marines are barely shorter than primaris anyway. Havocs are bigger. You don't even have to do that. Just use the new CSM models.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    BTW chaos players of the newer generation if you haven't read through 3.5 you should. The character creation system was very cool for chaos. Chaos Marines got vet abilities as part of their existence because they were all vets. Using the favored numbers of your gods gave bonuses. Iron Warriors had basilisk. It is just a neat codex.

Lots of flavor.

Also lots of ire from it.

Listen I'm not saying it wasn't cool. It was cool! You could make some strong, fluff-compliant armies, and basically everything in the book other than Rubric Marines was viable.

I am saying it was, simultaneously, the strongest any single book has ever been, to the degree that playing anything else felt like a straight-up mistake.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »
    BTW chaos players of the newer generation if you haven't read through 3.5 you should. The character creation system was very cool for chaos. Chaos Marines got vet abilities as part of their existence because they were all vets. Using the favored numbers of your gods gave bonuses. Iron Warriors had basilisk. It is just a neat codex.

Lots of flavor.

Listen I'm not saying it wasn't cool. It was cool! You could make some strong, fluff-compliant armies, and basically everything in the book other than Rubric Marines was viable.

I am saying it was, simultaneously, the strongest any single book has ever been, to the degree that playing anything else felt like a straight-up mistake.

Did you not play against the Matt Ward Grey Knights? Because holy shit.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Lots of flavor.

Psycannon spam was deeply obnoxious, but at least the whole goddamn army didn't infiltrate for 1ppm.

Honestly most of the stuff 5E Grey Knights could pull off could also be done in other armies, GK were just (slightly) more efficient at it.

Frankly in 5E I was playing Tyranids without Tervignons so my opponent didn't really matter, I was probably losing unless someone did something deeply silly.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options

Lots of flavor.

Psycannon spam was deeply obnoxious, but at least the whole goddamn army didn't infiltrate for 1ppm.

Honestly most of the stuff 5E Grey Knights could pull off could also be done in other armies, GK were just (slightly) more efficient at it.

Frankly in 5E I was playing Tyranids without Tervignons so my opponent didn't really matter, I was probably losing unless someone did something deeply silly.

I was playing CSM. I only got a small taste of the 3.5 before I moved across the ocean for a few years. I played a lot of 5th/6th. Trust me no matter what I was probably losing as well because I was a broke grad student and couldn't buy heldrakes and such when they came out.

I own two now though. Love that model.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I once played against a 3rd edition CSM army with summoned bloodletters and hounds and it was the most unfun game I've ever played up to then and since.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yeah, and with various locals banning gatherings of more than a few hundred, something closer to 10K is probably not in the works in two weeks.

I thought that Mazzyx had meant that it had changed to definitively canceled.
    honovere wrote: »
    I once played against a 3rd edition CSM army with summoned bloodletters and hounds and it was the most unfun game I've ever played up to then and since.

I remember back in the day when it seemed like 1 in every 2 40K tactics threads were, 'how do I beat Iron Warriors?' There was a shit ton of fun stuff in the 3.5 dex, but things like IW getting four heavies or the Doom Siren demon prince were such easy choices to take and so good, they dominated.

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    I ended up getting the CSM start collecting box and wow this is a really nice kit. I don’t really mind that there’s no weapon options for the models (though I do think it’s weird there’s a mix of chainsword dudes and bolter dudes). Everything’s way less fiddly than the Primaris kit I was working on, and I don’t know if it’s my imagination but there don’t seem to be anywhere near as many mold lines on these guys. I’m having a lot of fun putting them together, even if I did injure myself a little in the process
    e9lwnj1gx8pz.jpeg
    q4aygm6vmzmy.jpeg

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »
    I ended up getting the CSM start collecting box and wow this is a really nice kit. I don’t really mind that there’s no weapon options for the models (though I do think it’s weird there’s a mix of chainsword dudes and bolter dudes). Everything’s way less fiddly than the Primaris kit I was working on, and I don’t know if it’s my imagination but there don’t seem to be anywhere near as many mold lines on these guys. I’m having a lot of fun putting them together, even if I did injure myself a little in the process
    e9lwnj1gx8pz.jpeg
    q4aygm6vmzmy.jpeg

Everyone stabs themselves at some point playing/building chaos, normally on one of the spikes.

Blood for the blood god.

I saw a historical gamer once drop a unit of pikemen on his foot. With brass rod pikes. That he had sharpened to a point.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Nechriah wrote: »
    e9lwnj1gx8pz.jpeg
    q4aygm6vmzmy.jpeg

Everyone stabs themselves at some point playing/building chaos, normally on one of the spikes.

Blood for the blood god.

I saw a historical gamer once drop a unit of pikemen on his foot. With brass rod pikes. That he had sharpened to a point.

This is why you should, at all times, wear protective gear. I'm sitting on the couch surfing the web on my phone in reinforced shoes, bulletproof vest, crash helmet, and an armored codpiece.
    Not really.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Speaking of Chaos, Goonhammer finally posted Start Competing CSM:

https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-chaos-space-marines-tactics/

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/18/warhammer-preview-3-revenge-of-the-previewgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/

Newest preview started.

For 40k so far the final expansion for Blackstone fortress. The fortress awakens and so do giant spindle drones.

Shapes in the email announcement and on the warcom site also show sisters of battle and some walker thingy with lots of gubbins, either necron or admech.

honovere on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Its Illuminator Szeras who is a necron.

njhip8hstcn4.png

Also he causes perils if a psyker in 9" rolls a double.

6~CwG4p-~Zl4R3d-.jpg

Also a new Inquisitor.

ztkin249jyo6.png

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Two made to order models. A sister of battle.

Ew~3~G1vp6T_T8-v.jpg

And a termi libby

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    That's an old school shuriken catapult. Like pre plastic, 2nd edition

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    That new inquisitor is dope

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still I am curious with the direction they are taking Blackstone Fortress
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTo01TbZ0C8
    8kmggfsz3qeo.png
    I did not get the nurgle one or the Abominable Intellect cards though I do plan on getting them in time

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    This is the end of Blackstone Fortress (incidentally - probably the end of Psychic Awakening at this phase of 8th ed...)
    I'm trying to decide whether to go all in, I've got the base set, Abominable Intellect and Ascension - but tempted by the models from Traitor Command in Kill team, and the prospect of the Zoat and Ambul side quests.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    That's an old school shuriken catapult. Like pre plastic, 2nd edition

How dare you suggest such blasphemy! That can’t be a weapon of the duplicitous Aeldari, just look at that purity seal. Clearly that is a custom bolt pistol. Report to your commissar at once!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was a little surprised to see that Blackstone Fortress was actually ending. Is this a sign that it wasn't that popular, gamewise? As a narrative, you could probably keep it running forever as a giant, ever-changing moon-sized fortress full of alien tech - that's like the ultimate rogue-like game setting.

Still, if it does wake up and move off to carry out some eldritch weirdness in response to all the psychic shenanigans going on in the galaxy, it'll probably turn up in lore again elsewhere. Maybe the gameplay format could be reworked for a new setting, if it's popular enough to maintain.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    I wonder what the lore reason for them interacting with the Warp now is
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Curiosity I feel since both their genetic legacy and the c'tan failed them
    Their rise to power was in fighting an empire of super pychics and they're the most advanced species in the galaxy so idk makes sense they should at least have some kind of interaction even if they don't have a warp presence themselves.

I imagine that their goals of re-establishing their empire would put them at odds with Chaos. I'd say they probably have a huge incentive for mass deployment now, trying to rebuild the pylon network and re-seal the Great Rift.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh, yes, of course. But that isn’t going to stop the Imperium letting random Xenos scum just romp all over doing what they want, especially if that is (or appears to be) “destroy our entire communications and trade network so they can take us over piecemeal whenever they feel like it later” and the Eldar aren’t going to stand still for anything the Necrons do because of their literally genetic hatred of the C’tan and their allies/associates.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I never realized Illuminor Szeras is walking around with a lascannon for a weapon. I looked at his stats to see why I never ran him since apparently he is a major character (always seemed so unimportant but I haven't read my codex in a long time) and I'm just not really into what he does. If I could give him a veil of darkness I'd probably use him because having toughness 5 or 2+ BS on my Immortals would be great for appearing right in someones face.

Either way, 100% grabbing this model. I really do hope they buff his stat line though. The 9" bubble for his anti psyker ability is kind of not great so I hope he is a terror in close combat.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I never realized Illuminor Szeras is walking around with a lascannon for a weapon. I looked at his stats to see why I never ran him since apparently he is a major character (always seemed so unimportant but I haven't read my codex in a long time) and I'm just not really into what he does. If I could give him a veil of darkness I'd probably use him because having toughness 5 or 2+ BS on my Immortals would be great for appearing right in someones face.

Either way, 100% grabbing this model. I really do hope they buff his stat line though. The 9" bubble for his anti psyker ability is kind of not great so I hope he is a terror in close combat.

Fyi his current resin model is very fragile

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    They’ve redone the datasheets for all the new plastic special characters iirc so he might improve

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I was a little surprised to see that Blackstone Fortress was actually ending. Is this a sign that it wasn't that popular, gamewise? As a narrative, you could probably keep it running forever as a giant, ever-changing moon-sized fortress full of alien tech - that's like the ultimate rogue-like game setting.

Still, if it does wake up and move off to carry out some eldritch weirdness in response to all the psychic shenanigans going on in the galaxy, it'll probably turn up in lore again elsewhere. Maybe the gameplay format could be reworked for a new setting, if it's popular enough to maintain.

Blackstone Fortress actually feels like it's been massively well supported by the standards of most of GW's board games. It came out in, what, 2018 and is still getting updates?

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Also Silver Tower got no expansions, just a half-arsed sequel.
    So hopefully after BSF we get another iteration of Warhammer Quest with a whole new setting

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Blackstone Fortress feels really well tied to the universe, the game is fun, and the expansion really built up stuff. Also the Ad Mech guy actually is super competitive in 40k oddly enough.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I think it's the end of the current storyline, we'll some tie in with that and Psychic Awakening as we enter the next story chapter of 40K/9th ed.
    There's definitely more scope in the game though, but wonder if there is a case of diminishing returns compard to having a fresh start with a different set of Adventurers and a new theme.

Chaos/Genestealer/Pirates/Tau sympathisers infiltrating an Inqusitorial facility or something. Have the Imperials as the baddies, ranging from lowly dataclerks to the strange things locked away in the Inquisitorial vaults.
    I expect we'll see a Fantasy version first though.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    So... while I'm on lockdown, but also working at a hobby store, I've been properly rebuilding my tyranid army.

I've also been watching recentish batreps featuring tyranids.

Guys... i... I think Tyranids are good now?

Are they good? Like... for real?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Blackstone Fortress is all of £20 complete and posted on EBay without minis. Sod it, for that price let’s print up some tokens and have a bash.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    So... while I'm on lockdown, but also working at a hobby store, I've been properly rebuilding my tyranid army.

Competitively speaking, no, not even close to good. Don't let that stop you though, they've got some really cool things for playing with your friends.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

Competitively speaking, no, not even close to good. Don't let that stop you though, they've got some really cool things for playing with your friends.

Yeah, I'm not even the slightest bit interested in competitive play. Just reading/hearing about the competitive meta makes me... uhhh... not angry, that's the wrong word, but... grumpy, there we go.

The whole "this is how to build your list, and it's The Only Right Way" thing with competitive play is rulllllllllll boring to me.

But I've seen the guys chew up tough/competitive lists with Tyranids on TableTop Tactics and MiniWargaming videos, so I was curious.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Blackstone Fortress is all of £20 complete and posted on EBay without minis. Sod it, for that price let’s print up some tokens and have a bash.

Huh. BS as a game had always looked attractive to me, except for the price. I hadn't thought to look for stripped-out copy of it, and lord knows I don't need any more models to paint so it's not like I'd miss them.

Thank you for this intriguing idea, Jam!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2020
    Also a new Inquisitor.

ztkin249jyo6.png

weird, didn't know that gw started making retribution of Scyrah models

Vanguard on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

Yeah, I'm not even the slightest bit interested in competitive play. Just reading/hearing about the competitive meta makes me... uhhh... not angry, that's the wrong word, but... grumpy, there we go.

The whole "this is how to build your list, and it's The Only Right Way" thing with competitive play is rulllllllllll boring to me.

But I've seen the guys chew up tough/competitive lists with Tyranids on TableTop Tactics and MiniWargaming videos, so I was curious.

I'd be careful watching miniwargaming videos. I'm like 80% sure they are the ones who often get rules entirely wrong as they are playing so watching a batrep from them might not actually be a good measure of what tyranids can do.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options

I'd be careful watching miniwargaming videos. I'm like 80% sure they are the ones who often get rules entirely wrong as they are playing so watching a batrep from them might not actually be a good measure of what tyranids can do.

Accurate! I've caught that a couple times, actually.

But Tabletop Tactics is a lot sharper, and apparently Bone is actually a pretty good comp player, despite his showings on the freeview channel.

• Options

Accurate! I've caught that a couple times, actually.

But Tabletop Tactics is a lot sharper, and apparently Bone is actually a pretty good comp player, despite his showings on the freeview channel.

For battle reports Tabletop Tactics is the best. Striking Scorpion and WinterSEO are also very good. SN Battle Reports are pretty good too.

Art of War is probably the most competitive. They do streams twice a week and its some of the best American players out there. Richard Siegler, Mark Perry, and Nick Nanavati. They live in a house together in Florida so they still make content.

https://www.twitch.tv/aow40k/videos

Also Tyranids are considered more competitive now than they were. Didn't get a lot from PA but also didn't lose a lot. They were being talked about more and more before the whole COVID thing knocked out the tourney circuit. Nick Nanavati has a game with them verse Siegler's Tau last week.

Also Winter did a Nid game last week.

https://youtu.be/WTvHKlSaqAU

Its one of the more common armies on his channel.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    What did 'nids get from PA again?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Design a hive fleet rules and kustom jobs/experimental weaponry type thing - the fancy squad upgrades.
    Also unique psychic powers for the main fleets, and a set of new relics and strats.

[edit]And a name generator, obviously.

Tastyfish on