As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Yea, a Vigilus strategem written before the chapter traits all literally doubled in strength and most likely completely forgotten by the writers who moved all the other Vigilus strategems into the second edition codex.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I hear a Necron list went 5-1 at LVO, will have to look it up. I am betting it was C'tan spam, though.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I hear a Necron list went 5-1 at LVO, will have to look it up. I am betting it was C'tan spam, though.

Only one ctan in the list.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I was wrong?!

Now I am very curious, then.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I was wrong?!

Now I am very curious, then.

Doomsday arks are damn good verse a rather large set of popular units.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    This is the list I saw for the LVO Necron player.

++ Air Wing Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [33 PL, 450pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice
    . Dynasty: Mephrit

+ Flyer +

Doom Scythe [11 PL, 150pts]

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [51 PL, 1CP, 757pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice
    . Dynasty: Sautekh

+ HQ +

Imotekh the Stormlord [10 PL, 1CP, 140pts]
    . Warlord: Warlord Trait (Sautekh): Hyperlogical Strategist

+ Elites +

C'tan Shard of the Deceiver [12 PL, 180pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Destroyers [3 PL, 37pts]
    . Heavy Destroyer: Heavy Gauss Cannon

Tesseract Ark [13 PL, 200pts]
    . Two Gauss Cannons: 2x Gauss Cannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [50 PL, 793pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice
    . Dynasty: Nihilakh

+ HQ +

Lord [5 PL, 76pts]: Artefact: The Veil of Darkness, Hyperphase Sword, Resurrection Orb

+ Fast Attack +

Destroyers [15 PL, 237pts]
    . 4x Destroyer: 4x Gauss Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Doomsday Ark [10 PL, 160pts]

++ Total: [134 PL, 1CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    This is the list I saw for the LVO Necron player.

++ Air Wing Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [33 PL, 450pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice
    . Dynasty: Mephrit

+ Flyer +

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [51 PL, 1CP, 757pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice
    . Dynasty: Sautekh

+ HQ +

Imotekh the Stormlord [10 PL, 1CP, 140pts]
    . Warlord: Warlord Trait (Sautekh): Hyperlogical Strategist

+ Elites +

C'tan Shard of the Deceiver [12 PL, 180pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Destroyers [3 PL, 37pts]

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [50 PL, 793pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice
    . Dynasty: Nihilakh

+ HQ +

Lord [5 PL, 76pts]: Artefact: The Veil of Darkness, Hyperphase Sword, Resurrection Orb

+ Fast Attack +

Destroyers [15 PL, 237pts]
    . 4x Destroyer: 4x Gauss Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

++ Total: [134 PL, 1CP, 2,000pts] ++

So many arks!

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for the list.

Fucking Tesseract ARKS....lol.

Yeah, I dunno why I am even surprised. I have 3 Doom Scythes and recently picked up Doomsday Ark #2 and #3 and yeah....it's nasty as hell. I'd be curious why they put the Scythes in Mephrit, but whatever. Maybe the -AP for the Tesla makes up for the -1 to hit?

That's basically the list that's been shopped around with the Arks being the main surprise that I hadn't seen used. Probably to keep the model count down for ITC scoring reasons.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    Thanks for the list.

Fucking Tesseract ARKS....lol.

Yeah, I dunno why I am even surprised. I have 3 Doom Scythes and recently picked up Doomsday Ark #2 and #3 and yeah....it's nasty as hell. I'd be curious why they put the Scythes in Mephrit, but whatever. Maybe the -AP for the Tesla makes up for the -1 to hit?

That's basically the list that's been shopped around with the Arks being the main surprise that I hadn't seen used. Probably to keep the model count down for ITC scoring reasons.

Yea, the -AP for the Tesla was the reason given for Mephrit since the tesla guns are assault and not heavy so they don't get the -1 to hit for moving.

• Options

Yea, the -AP for the Tesla was the reason given for Mephrit since the tesla guns are assault and not heavy so they don't get the -1 to hit for moving.
    And a good marine list will blow all three Doom Scythes out of the sky once they do their stratagem attack, so no reason to avoid the -1 for the Death Rays.

Okay, makes sense.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    I wonder how many times he went first and got to use the deceiver to redeploy.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I thought you could only play one Dynasty of necrons

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I thought you could only play one Dynasty of necrons

Each detachment can be a different dynasty, just gotta remember that buffs like my will be done are dynasty specific.

• Options
    Are the AdMech walkers any good? I'm looking to expand my rusty 17 into a 2k army when the cavalry models drop and I'm mostly interesting in running dunes crawlers, infantry, and maybe the two different kind of two legged walkers.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Are the AdMech walkers any good? I'm looking to expand my rusty 17 into a 2k army when the cavalry models drop and I'm mostly interesting in running dunes crawlers, infantry, and maybe the two different kind of two legged walkers.

I run 4 of the....shit cant remember the name the tall two legged melee ones as a screen against flanking in admech knights and it works reasonably well.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

I haven't read about Ad Mech in a while, but I seem to recall that the general impression was the ranged weapon ones were good enough to be a decent option, and the melee ones were even better.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Chicken walkers are very good. Especially the melee version. I have 3 for my admech and I want more.

Pros:
    -Lots of attacks that can hit on 2s, rerolling 1s, at a crazy strength, that explode on 4s with proper stratagem/canticles usage.
    -Pretty fast
    -If stygies an innate -2 to hit, -1 natively against shooting

Cons:
    -Will just eat tremor shells the whole game doing nothing

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Dragoons are monstrously good. A unit of five will straight kill whatever non-titan target you throw them at.

If you're talking about the Dunecrawlers, they're also very, very good, but the Skorpius Disintegrators are typically better. The exception is the Icarus variant which you should basically always run one of so you can at least try to ruin the day of whatever Eldar airwing asshole you run into.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    I definitely want to run dragoons and dunecrawlers. I like the look of those models.

The skorpius is cool, I might grab one or two.

For infantry are vanguard worth running or am I better off running rangers? I was thinking of running two battalions.

Not gonna buy anything till I see the points on the cavalry but I'm hoping I can fit all the models I like into this list.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I definitely want to run dragoons and dunecrawlers. I like the look of those models.

For infantry are vanguard worth running or am I better off running rangers? I was thinking of running two battalions.

Not gonna buy anything till I see the points on the cavalry but I'm hoping I can fit all the models I like into this list.

Do you want infantry that moves (or rides) to objectives, or just to hang back and shoot? Vanguard for the former, Rangers (with the big sniper gun) for the latter.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Do you want infantry that moves (or rides) to objectives, or just to hang back and shoot? Vanguard for the former, Rangers (with the big sniper gun) for the latter.

I said before I was building a small Ad mech force but I only have currently 3 Skitarii [one is a ranger the other in a vanguard one I have not put together because I didn't have the instructions and I messed up the legs 2 Ruststalkers I only built one so far and 2 Dunecrawlers} I planned on getting 1 more skitarii, some priests and a robot to round them out but it's the tank and other stuff they have announced that has made me question what am I doing with this army now

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I said before I was building a small Ad mech force but I only have currently 3 Skitarii [one is a ranger the other in a vanguard one I have not put together because I didn't have the instructions and I messed up the legs 2 Ruststalkers I only built one so far and 2 Dunecrawlers} I planned on getting 1 more skitarii, some priests and a robot to round them out but it's the tank and other stuff they have announced that has made me question what am I doing with this army now

r3v0rwuulmqw.png

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Industries-BSI-161H-Debonder/dp/B0166FFC96

Get some of this and fix the legs?

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Following CA19 there's a solid argument for taking units of rangers with Arc Rifles to push forward.

Vanguard are better in large units, but get absolutely destroyed by morale checks. Really you can go either way.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    This is kind of a first draft for the stuff I want to use. Depending on the cost of the cavalry I might add more of other stuff.

Not 100% on the HQs, I added each of them so I could look at the stats and compare them.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [47 PL] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Forge World Choice
    . Forge World: Stygies VIII

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL]

Tech-Priest Manipulus [5 PL]: Magnarail lance

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL]
    . Ranger Alpha: Galvanic Rifle
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic Arquebus

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL]
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL]
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger

+ Fast Attack +

Sydonian Dragoons [15 PL]
    . Sydonian Dragoon: Phosphor Serpenta, Taser Lance

+ Heavy Support +

Skorpius Disintegrator [6 PL]: 3x Cognis Heavy Stubber, Ferrumite Cannon

Skorpius Disintegrator [6 PL]: 3x Cognis Heavy Stubber, Ferrumite Cannon

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [44 PL] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Forge World Choice
    . Forge World: Stygies VIII

+ HQ +

Daedalosus [3 PL]

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL]: Eradication Ray, Macrostubber

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL]
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger (Arc Rifle): 2x Arc Rifle

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL]
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL]
    . 2x Skitarii Ranger

+ Heavy Support +

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis Heavy Stubber, Icarus Array

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis Heavy Stubber, Icarus Array

+ Dedicated Transport +

Skorpius Dunerider [4 PL]: 2x Cognis Heavy Stubber, Twin Cognis Heavy Stubber

Skorpius Dunerider [4 PL]: 2x Cognis Heavy Stubber, Twin Cognis Heavy Stubber

++ Total: [91 PL, 1,453pts] ++

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Monwyn wrote: »

Following CA19 there's a solid argument for taking units of rangers with Arc Rifles to push forward.

Vanguard are better in large units, but get absolutely destroyed by morale checks. Really you can go either way.

Huh, I peaked at goonhammer's Ad Mech thing last night and they were saying to use Vanguard (w/plasma calivers and transports) in MSU.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Taking Tau up against Custodes for the first time this weekend, any advice?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Huh, I peaked at goonhammer's Ad Mech thing last night and they were saying to use Vanguard (w/plasma calivers and transports) in MSU.

I will need to check that out. So far from just a basic view it seems rangers are cheaper and the only thing they don't have that vanguard does is the 1 inch toughness debuff.

Lots of at least ap -2 shots so they are always forced to save on a 4++ and multi damage is really good.

I hear the idea that weight of fire will stop Custodes but T5/T6 models in terminators and jet bikes with a 2+ save really stops the idea of weight of fire. It has never worked for me when I play against my friend and his Custodes.

Stragint on

• Options
    Im putting a lot of hope in my Stormsurge I think

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KiTA wrote: »

r3v0rwuulmqw.png

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Industries-BSI-161H-Debonder/dp/B0166FFC96

Get some of this and fix the legs?

I put the wrong legs on the wrong bodies.
    I was trying to trade one or two of the arquebus for the legs and no one wanted the offer or told me I was insane. I looked on ebay since I just was going to buy the legs and then sell the arquebus with the ones I don't need to recoup my loss

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

I will need to check that out. So far from just a basic view it seems rangers are cheaper and the only thing they don't have that vanguard does is the 1 inch toughness debuff.

Lots of at least ap -2 shots so they are always forced to save on a 4++ and multi damage is really good.

I hear the idea that weight of fire will stop Custodes but T5/T6 models in terminators and jet bikes with a 2+ save really stops the idea of weight of fire. It has never worked for me when I play against my friend and his Custodes.

If lots of ap-2 shots is what you want, then Vespid might be a good pick? They went down in points right in the chapter approved if I remember correctly.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Arc rifles dropped from something like 6-8pts to 2pts in CA2019 (which came out after that article), and they have similar range and weapon type to the regular guns.
    So a unit of Rangers with arc rifles is very cheap for a 4+ save inf and is kicking out decent firepower (4 S6 shots doing multiple dmg on vehicles) for 39pts.

There's a lot in the AdMech list at the moment that isn't very showy (it's only 5 rangers) but is very points efficient and good it it's job.

@Brainleech - https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerInstructions/ they have scans of almost all the instructions on this reddit, if you ever find you've lost them.
    Here's the Ranger and Vanguard ones.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

If lots of ap-2 shots is what you want, then Vespid might be a good pick? They went down in points right in the chapter approved if I remember correctly.

Custodes are an easy matchup for Tau.
    Riptides and broadsides both force custodes onto their invuln with multiple damage weapons. They’re essentially the perfect targets for our power units.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    https://www.goonhammer.com/your-desk-sucks-making-a-better-workspace/

Good article on getting your hobby space set up. Sure wish I had read this 8 months ago when I started painting, bc all this wasn't innately obvious for someone new.

I was using an LED headlamp as a light source at one point 🤣

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been updated for CA19. Arc Rifles now cost only one point; a unit of rangers with arcs comes in like 30pts cheaper than the vanguards and they both die the same. If you're running Vanguard you probably do want to go MSU though because of the morale issues.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options

Shit then till they're dead and make sure you space your bubble wrap units so they can't consolidate forward into the things you care about. Kill the bikes first. Pay attention to deepstrike denial positioning.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »

Good article on getting your hobby space set up. Sure wish I had read this 8 months ago when I started painting, bc all this wasn't innately obvious for someone new.

I use two of those articulated arm lamps I got from the hardware store for $10 each, and put daylight bulbs in them. So not only do I see the model clearly, but I can position the lighting however it suits me. t also means I have a good lighting setup ready when I want to take pictures.

Shit then till they're dead-
    Whelp, this conversation went from 0 to 'Full Nurgle' pretty damn fast.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/29/new-reveals-from-nuremberggw-homepage-post-1/

Lots of specialist games reveals from Nürnberg toy fair.
    That Goliath gal with the big arc welder is very cool.
    That taros box with the T'au. I wants it.
    And more titans.

• Options
    It's kind of odd how they rolled out Necromunda messed up and now tried again
    Still my brother finds it annoying how forgeworld does the bundles when like I wants things from each of them but doesn't want the whole thing

• Options
    pardzh wrote: »

I use two of those articulated arm lamps I got from the hardware store for $10 each, and put daylight bulbs in them. So not only do I see the model clearly, but I can position the lighting however it suits me. t also means I have a good lighting setup ready when I want to take pictures.

Shit then till they're dead-
    Whelp, this conversation went from 0 to 'Full Nurgle' pretty damn fast.

I mean

Probably better that autocorrect goes to "shit" rather than "shoot," all things considered

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Depends wildly on the list. They have no psychics (doesn't help you). They will want to get into melee -- don't let them. They generally have few options for shooting down tanks IIRC. Massed fire screws them up.

I need to buy some cables for modeling wires on my AdMech. Had a piece break off (one of the walky talkies hanging off a backpack) and I think my best bet is just to have a random wire or two hanging where it used to be, to model combat damage. What gauge wire to get for that? I'm looking at 30 gauge (.25mm) and 24gague (.5mm) right now....

Stainless steel work, or should I look for copper wire instead?

KiTA on