As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Looks like Adepticon is being canceled. So the reveal is as well.

Actually, where did you hear this from? The Adepticon webpage, per their update yesterday, says the exact opposite.

https://www.facebook.com/AdeptiCon.org/

They haven't officially announced it but from what I am getting from my gaming group (a lot of NoVA organizers and folks with ties to GW) and this is it sounds like they are figuring out how to do it or even if they will be able to hold the tournament.

This came out last night. Though GW has I guess said through back channels they are canceling their reveal there. And probably not sending staff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Looks like Adepticon is being canceled. So the reveal is as well.

Actually, where did you hear this from? The Adepticon webpage, per their update yesterday, says the exact opposite.

The update on their website is misleading because they've attached it to a previous post saying that the event's going ahead. The update's text is just this:
    AdeptiCon is processing all the latest information around the COVID-19 virus. We are aware of the recent travel ban and that the State of Illinois is considering restrictions on large scale events. We remain in direct contact with all the relevant parties and expect to make a final determination shortly. We understand that many of you have questions and concerns, and we appreciate the input and feedback we have received. We ask that you bear with us while we speak with all involved and gather the necessary information required to make a responsible decision. It cannot be stressed enough that our only priority is the safety and health of our attendees, volunteers, exhibitors, and staff. Thank you for your patience while we maneuver this very fluid situation.

Which 100% sounds like they're planning on cancelling.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yeah, and with various locals banning gatherings of more than a few hundred, something closer to 10K is probably not in the works in two weeks.

I thought that Mazzyx had meant that it had changed to definitively canceled.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    manji wrote: »
    4 pages of the lady space marines argument and not one mention of Death of Hope pt1 dropping on youtube. not gonna link it as its hella NSFW for grimdark. apart from a passive-aggressive opening crawl its a solid effort. plenty of fanservice and it looks awesome.

Tried watching it. Eh.

It looked visually good and also NSFW as hell, but it had no flow to me and was pretty long for not having a flow / having characters, really.

I presume we'll be following the Ultramarine, but he was barely in it.

Wait, is this the same guy as that other WH40k one man fan film? The Lord Inquisitor

The one that was ALSO insanely detailed, but with horrendous dialog, editing, and even basic direction (respect the 180 line, man!)

Adepticon is canceled officially.
    Since the very first AdeptiCon, held eighteen years ago, we’ve made it clear that the highest priority, in any consideration, would always be the attendees. Over the years, we have done our best to be loyal to this principle. With our incredible staff, volunteers, organizers, and instructors, AdeptiCon has been proud to host our annual hobby celebration with a continued emphasis on creating an amazing experience for our attendees. It is with that priority in mind that we have decided, after many hours of internal conversation and consultation with the venue, hotels, and various local authorities, that the health and well-being of our attendees and the public must come first. While we continued planning and did everything in our power to see AdeptiCon run as normal, we are now following both government guidance and our own judgement concerning the COVID-19 virus in cancelling the 2020 convention scheduled for March 25th-29th.

We understand that this will impact all of you. It also impacts our exhibitors, staff, the venue, and the local community. It is not a decision we have made lightly; it is a decision based entirely on keeping people safe and healthy. It goes without saying that no one is more heartbroken about this situation than the AdeptiCon team. We look forward to seeing all of you every year, sharing our love of the hobby and revisiting friendships cultivated over years of the convention.

The AdeptiCon staff is already vigorously working on details around issuing requests for credits/refunds, the handling of prepaid merchandise, badge upgrades and other related items. We will provide to our attendees and exhibitors final plans to address the unprecedented circumstances that the COVID-19 virus has thrust upon us by April 15th or sooner. Your patience is appreciated during this time as we finalize the necessary details and logistics.

It is important to understand that the AdeptiCon team remains committed to this event. With your help, we will be able to return to providing you with the greatest tabletop gaming event experience around. We are very determined to see AdeptiCon return, thrive, and run long into the future. And we will remain focused, as always, on our most important priority, the attendees.

Sincerely,

AdeptiCon Staff
    “For Gamers, By Gamers”

u7stthr17eud.png
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Sounds like a smart move on their part.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah right thing to do

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Curious to see how the cancellation of Adepticon will affect NOVA attendance numbers. I think NOVA is far enough out to be spared from the pandemic.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Yeah, if everyone is still on lockdown from COVID19 in August, we got bigger problems than a cancelled convention.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    It's Istvann III all over again! :?

MrBody on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I like how the Warhammer Community article on the cancellation of Adepticon just has photos from NOVA.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Covid + funky gamers = bad times

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Got in a couple games with the Sisters of Battle.

Yo, the Triumph of Saint Katherine is a sick unit. It’s done tons of good work for me so far. Especially when backed up by a Hospitaller

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I love how it looks but it's a 6" move melee unit that's T3 18W 3+ 4++ -1 to hit and even worse its support auras degrade with its profile. Every gun in the opponent's army is good against it, anti-infantry or anti-tank, and anyone prepared to deal with a Titanic unit (T8 24+W 3+ 4++) will blow it up. And everyone is prepared to deal with a Titanic unit these days.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Covid + funky gamers = bad times

Holy shit, you're alive.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Got in a couple games with the Sisters of Battle.

Yo, the Triumph of Saint Katherine is a sick unit. It’s done tons of good work for me so far. Especially when backed up by a Hospitaller

Part of me doesn't like playing with special characters all the time because why would they show up here?
    Still I will play with them time to time

Ghaz's stats have been leaked.

IVXSTFv.png

He is a god damn beast.

That AP -4 D4 claw. He will melt people. Takes a max of 4D in a phase. With smart plays he is near unkillable in the first 2 turns. And he affects all orks. Just buffs Goffs even more.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Movement 7 and no character protection feel like huge drawbacks for him, but maybe that "max 4 wounds lost per phase" rule will be enough to keep him alive until he can deal some damage.

Burnage wrote: »
    Movement 7 and no character protection feel like huge drawbacks for him, but maybe that "max 4 wounds lost per phase" rule will be enough to keep him alive until he can deal some damage.

Makari (his grot) gives him a 6+++. And he can be grot shielded too I think. Also pain boyz.

u7stthr17eud.png

Makari (his grot) gives him a 6+++. And he can be grot shielded too I think. Also pain boyz.

Grot shields and painboyz only work on infantry. There's a stratagem that a painboy can use to heal him, but that's not exactly free...

That's a card though not a page in a book so I now am curious did they not learn anything about blood of the phoenix?

Grot shields and painboyz only work on infantry. There's a stratagem that a painboy can use to heal him, but that's not exactly free...

Your right I forgot they changed him to a monster.

Makari does give him the 6+++ so he doesn't need that from the pain boy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The max 4 wounds taken per phase may as well read "max 4 wounds taken per turn" for most armies. It's the best defensive ability in the game besides "you can't target me".

Otherwise yea, he'd be in the same bad spot as The Triumph of St. Katherine mentioned earlier, although at least Orks can deep strike him across the board. I really hope they make this and other "fuck shooting" rules more prevalent. Especially for characters, having more than 9 wounds is just strictly worse, which is crazy.

Another thing reddit pointed out, his own rules don't affect him because he isn't an Ork Infantry character. So he doesn't get the +1 attack or the run and charge.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I see an Errata incoming. Seems like a typical GW oopsie.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Ghaz can't be healed by painboys, transported in a vehicle, or teleported with da jump, so the aim of the game is going to be finding a way to keep him alive until he can get into close combat with stuff.

Losing a max of four wounds per phase is great, but if you opponent has decent shooting and decent psykers he could still be dead by turn 2.

Ghaz can't be healed by painboys, transported in a vehicle, or teleported with da jump, so the aim of the game is going to be finding a way to keep him alive until he can get into close combat with stuff.

Losing a max of four wounds per phase is great, but if you opponent has decent shooting and decent psykers he could still be dead by turn 2.

I think almost the best thing is to teleporta him in with a group of boys/meganobz turn 2 and such. And have a turn two massive smash.

u7stthr17eud.png
    The Space Wolf vs Orks box is finally announced, it's just Ranger and Ghaz with one unit of troops each.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The tellyporta strategem is 2CP per unit. Not a bad way to keep Ghaz himself alive until turn 2 where he can drop in to support the boys that either ran or jumped across the board, but it gets pretty expensive if you start adding support units to teleport with him.

If you run horde Orks than you're not exactly going to be desperate for CP though I guess.

The Space Wolf vs Orks box is finally announced, it's just Ranger and Ghaz with one unit of troops each.

Where do I preorder?!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Grot Klans are one of the new Klans in the book too, be interesting if they give them a HQ to make up a valid detachment.

I took a look... the Ork side of the box is two units. Nobs and Meganobs by the looks of things.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Khraul wrote: »

I took a look... the Ork side of the box is two units. Nobs and Meganobs by the looks of things.

The Space Wolves side is pretty much just as bad. You can 5 Incursors and 5 Infiltrators or 10 Incursors or 10 Infiltrators. Gameplay wise this box is so heavily one sided to Orks for power.

I have been wanting Incursors though so I am gonna try to find someone to split this with.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    I don't need another squad of infiltrators for my SW army so I'm selling them off to a buddy and keeping the rest.

Going to preorder the box and book the minute they're up.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited March 2020
    None of the Space Marines factions got combat doctrines tailored to their faction, right? They officially said Space Wolves will get combat doctrines but I don't know if it will be the same as base marines or custom to Space Wolves.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited March 2020
    All SM got combat doctrines and each marine flavour gets it's own doctrine specific ability, so SW will get doctrines plus (I assume) an additional benefit during assault doctrine.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    All SM got combat doctrines and each marine flavour gets it's own doctrine specific ability, so SW will get doctrines plus (I assume) an additional benefit during assault doctrine.

Oh, awesome. I didn't know if they got different benefits or anything.

My friend really needs to get the Blood of Baal book if he doesn't sell his Blood Angels. He has been missing out on doctrines and litanies for a while now.

Makari's datasheet is up

cczlzw0a5uwb.png

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Stragint wrote: »

Oh, awesome. I didn't know if they got different benefits or anything.

My friend really needs to get the Blood of Baal book if he doesn't sell his Blood Angels. He has been missing out on doctrines and litanies for a while now.

If it's a benefit for your friend, PM me in a couple of hours when I'm home and I'll take a pic of the doctrines page from my copy of BoB so he can at least see if it's worth picking the book up.

The only new stuff is really the doctrines, mephiston, death company intercessor datasheets, and a couple pages of strats.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    This is a dumb question since I did not get blood of the phoenix since it came out at the start of the lean times
    You don't get the psychic awakening in it do you? So this holds true in Prophecy of the Wolf? You get a campaign book not the psychic awakening book?