As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The Grandmaster Edition of Titanicus came in today, but I am too tired to get started on building anything so my desk is covered in plastic sprues instead.

The amount of detail they have crammed into these bits is insane.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'd love to play titanicus, but my buddies and I already don't have enought time to play killteam or apocalypse let alone a different game.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I would get the titans from titanicus as a budget titan just to paint

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The new sisters models are so nice

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The Sister's codex seems to have removed the 'no men under arms' rules lawyering that was the original out that let the Ecclesiarchy keep a standing army post-Vandire. I rather liked that bit.

The Celestine audio-drama touched on this, though it left off with no definite answer one way or the other on how the church ultimately went

Huh. The codex basically has it that the church was forced to disarm, but Sebastian Thor said that the SoB were cool and everyone had to go along with it because it was Thor and the Ecclesiarchy was still a major force.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    The Sister's codex seems to have removed the 'no men under arms' rules lawyering that was the original out that let the Ecclesiarchy keep a standing army post-Vandire. I rather liked that bit.

The Celestine audio-drama touched on this, though it left off with no definite answer one way or the other on how the church ultimately went

Huh. The codex basically has it that the church was forced to disarm, but Sebastian Thor said that the SoB were cool and everyone had to go along with it because it was Thor and the Ecclesiarchy was still a major force.

The Celestine stuff is current day stuff. Basically:
    The Ecclesiarch revokes the Decree Passive. Bunch of shit goes down, Celestine eventually ends up killing the Ecclesiarch, but the fallout is never clarified. So it's possible the Church went back, but also possible they didn't

Unless you're just referring to the specific wording of 'men under arms or whatever'

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Looking at starting a loyalist army was the worst decision...

I am riddled with indecision! So many chapters look both fun to play and effective on the tabletop.

I might just build a generic army and play whatever rules feel good that day... though BA has some really interesting conversion and modelling opportunities using Sigmarines

Heck I still can't decide between Crimson and Imperial Fists which are 80% the same thing

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

The Ecclesiarch revokes the Decree Passive. Bunch of shit goes down, Celestine eventually ends up killing the Ecclesiarch, but the fallout is never clarified. So it's possible the Church went back, but also possible they didn't

Unless you're just referring to the specific wording of 'men under arms or whatever'

It's the specific wording that I like. Very Gilbert and Sullivan The Pirates of Penzance trickery which I like. Plus I like the idea that the Imperium is so messed up and hidebound that they can't deal with such obviously bad faith interpretation of the Decree Passive. I imagine there's some weird court case where the Administratum is suing the Ecclesiarchy over this that's been winding it's way through the Imperium's justice system for the last five millenia bouncing between venues and tribunals with the occasional unfortunate deaths of judges and lawyers when it appears as though a result might actually be handed down. An unending Byzantine conflict that has taken on a life of its own that the larger Administratum and Ecclesiarchy aren't even aware is happening as the reports from their respective groups started to be misfiled ages ago so the whole thing is just another pointless waste of resources that as with so much in the Imperium could be better spent elsewhere.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I am picking up a trio of Myphitic Blight Haulers and....gasp....

7 more Heavy Destroyers for my Necrons.

I'll be able to field 15 Wraiths and 9 Heavy Destroyers.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

Edit: It's also mentioned on the fandom.com wiki (search "Angelic") and behind a uh, paywalled Bell of Lost Souls article that just landed today.

Wait, people pay to read BoLS?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Nechriah wrote: »
    Heck I still can't decide between Crimson and Imperial Fists which are 80% the same thing

One of those two doesn't involve painting yellow.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

And it says they've sold 96 of them? It'd cost almost $20 to ship something that size just within the U.S. much less something coming from China, and not even recasting would be that cheap.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed that nothing of the background in the campaign books seems to be represented in the rules in them.

Jain Zar's now part of the Ynnari, but has no rules to take her in an Ynnari detachment. Lots of psykers popping up in the imperium. Not a single unit or rules adjustment to show that. You'd think maybe the sisters of silence would get something, too, but nada. Total disconnect between story and rules so far.

Well, the rumor is we're going to get new Codexes in the future, and there may be a "8.5 Edition" with rules updates as well. So we might see them then.

The other big rumor is that this is all lead in to 9th ed. that will basically be a clean up version of 8th. I guess this might be the same rumor, as the rumors about 9th seem to peg it as an "8.5" rather than a complete rethink of the rules.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

It's the specific wording that I like. Very Gilbert and Sullivan The Pirates of Penzance trickery which I like. Plus I like the idea that the Imperium is so messed up and hidebound that they can't deal with such obviously bad faith interpretation of the Decree Passive. I imagine there's some weird court case where the Administratum is suing the Ecclesiarchy over this that's been winding it's way through the Imperium's justice system for the last five millenia bouncing between venues and tribunals with the occasional unfortunate deaths of judges and lawyers when it appears as though a result might actually be handed down. An unending Byzantine conflict that has taken on a life of its own that the larger Administratum and Ecclesiarchy aren't even aware is happening as the reports from their respective groups started to be misfiled ages ago so the whole thing is just another pointless waste of resources that as with so much in the Imperium could be better spent elsewhere.

I mean sure but also it's kind of silly in the context of 40k.

Like, I don't think the Space Marines are going to be all 'gee shucks I guess you got us through a dumb wording loophole'

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    It's exactly the kind of bureaucratic/bible interpretation silly that is 40k at it's best though. Everyone KNOWS it's pants-on-head, but the law is the law, dammit! It's the embodiment of RAW vs RAI in the fluff.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    It's more likely the Space Marines have better things to do. The Adeptus Astartes is generally not involved in the day to day minutia of the empire. It's not that a Chapter Master or a Space Marine captain wouldn't read that and immediately call bullshit...it's that their time is better spent elsewhere fighting actual enemies.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    It's also not like a single chapter of marines is going to take on the entire ecclesiarchy, and they sure as hell aren't going to work together with multiple other chapters for very long.
    Or, you know... sometimes they do call bullshit and fight them, and that's why you get marines vs battlenuns on the tabletop.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options

It's probably a recast as I see the store opening chaplain in terminator armor often from people in China

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's probably a recast as I see the store opening chaplain in terminator armor often from people in China

Even a recast at $5 makes no sense, unless they're literally selling a single model from the kit or something.

• Options
    Nechriah wrote: »

One of those two doesn't involve painting yellow.

One of the problems I have is I have a bunch of Mark 5 armor. cataphractii armor and a comtemptor dread that I want to do heresy era imperial fists just the iconography is my problem is it the same as the modern Imperial fists?
    Then why do some have black armor in the heresy era?
    fsfrfibhdgmk.png
    rlacz732m9kb.png

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed that nothing of the background in the campaign books seems to be represented in the rules in them.

Jain Zar's now part of the Ynnari, but has no rules to take her in an Ynnari detachment. Lots of psykers popping up in the imperium. Not a single unit or rules adjustment to show that. You'd think maybe the sisters of silence would get something, too, but nada. Total disconnect between story and rules so far.

Well, the rumor is we're going to get new Codexes in the future, and there may be a "8.5 Edition" with rules updates as well. So we might see them then.

The other big rumor is that this is all lead in to 9th ed. that will basically be a clean up version of 8th. I guess this might be the same rumor, as the rumors about 9th seem to peg it as an "8.5" rather than a complete rethink of the rules.

I'm taking this with a huge grain of salt.

But if I were to wishlist for a single change, it would be to remove casualties at end of turn (not player turn) rather than immediately.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    rlacz732m9kb.png

It explains in the second paragraph. That marine wears black as a veteran of the War of the Howling Gyre where a bunch of Imperial Fists died during the Great Crusade.

Sharp101 on
  • Options

But if I were to wishlist for a single change, it would be to remove casualties at end of turn (not player turn) rather than immediately.

I'd like to see 40k go alternating activation, with stratagems and rules around playing with the ordering stack...but I doubt that's happening any time soon.

• Options

I'd like to see 40k go alternating activation, with stratagems and rules around playing with the ordering stack...but I doubt that's happening any time soon.

They could do the objective/tactical cards since I know some of them change the objectives or other things

• Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    rlacz732m9kb.png

It explains in the second paragraph. That marine wears black as a veteran of the War of the Howling Gyre where a bunch of Imperial Fists died during the Great Crusade.

ok it just was too tiny to read for me
    Since I had the ideal these were the proto black templars since before my horrible summer I thought I could get a second contemptor paint it with black templar colors but make it the same unit that served with them since the heresy
    just I have little idea what they had for iconography {other than the mailed fist}

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Apoc.

Apoc has some of this already implemented.

Personally I want alternating actions in a battle round with causalities removed at the end of a phase. This will require the least amount of book keeping but also help balance the feel bad feeling of shit going boom before you can use it at least once.

Also makes things like Rhinos more useful. No matter what your units in a rhino or other transport get to scoot forward and have a turn in which they can't be blown off the board. So things like Khorne Bezerkers can scoot 15" in a rhino (Advance+move) and then 3" in the disembark. So 18". And then they can charge on the following turn. To balance this you can't charge from an emergency disembarkation aka it blew up.

It will make punchy armies with transports a lot better. But not overpowered you can't play a gun line. Just like now you have to screen.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    rlacz732m9kb.png

Since I had the ideal these were the proto black templars since before my horrible summer I thought I could get a second contemptor paint it with black templar colors but make it the same unit that served with them since the heresy
    just I have little idea what they had for iconography {other than the mailed fist}

I feel like it's a pretty safe assumption that any first founding chapter that kept its pre-heresy legion's colors was probably using all or most of the same iconography back before the heresy as well.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Apoc.

Apoc has some of this already implemented.

Personally I want alternating actions in a battle round with causalities removed at the end of a phase. This will require the least amount of book keeping but also help balance the feel bad feeling of shit going boom before you can use it at least once.

Also makes things like Rhinos more useful. No matter what your units in a rhino or other transport get to scoot forward and have a turn in which they can't be blown off the board. So things like Khorne Bezerkers can scoot 15" in a rhino (Advance+move) and then 3" in the disembark. So 18". And then they can charge on the following turn. To balance this you can't charge from an emergency disembarkation aka it blew up.

It will make punchy armies with transports a lot better. But not overpowered you can't play a gun line. Just like now you have to screen.

I will never understand why, in 40k, I roll for each individual weapon of each individual guy in each individual unit. (It's for historical reasons; I know.)

Just let me roll for the entire unit as one. Greater fidelity than that serves no purpose in a game with as many models as modern 40k.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    McGibs wrote: »
    It's exactly the kind of bureaucratic/bible interpretation silly that is 40k at it's best though. Everyone KNOWS it's pants-on-head, but the law is the law, dammit! It's the embodiment of RAW vs RAI in the fluff.

As I recall the Decree Passive and the "loophole" was viewed by the High Lords as less of an ingenious work around or a direct interpretation of the law and more of a "Yeah, the Ecclesiarchy control a lot of planets and someone needs to defend them, preferably at no cost to the Imperium. Plus these women are insanely zealous and will almost certainly be first in line to put down any priests that get a little too full of themselves."

edit- That is to say no one has any doubts what the spirit of the law meant, but the reality was that the Ecclesiarchy needed soldiers to defend their interests and the Sisters are about as much of a danger to the Ecclesiarchy as they are to the heretics.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Ordered a box of Eliminators. They were in stock on GW so I paid the premium to get them rather than fight Christmas stock elsewhere. My next list update requires another 3. I'm adding two squads of Eliminators with a Phobos Captain w/ Chapter Master and Phobos Lt. to my list to act as my indirect fire and board control. My castle remains centered around Guilliman with my Repulsor Executioners and Aggressors.

I've played around with the idea of a Phobos Librarian in place of the Lt. for Shrouding and Temporal Corridor, but re-woll wounds of 1 on my indirect shots just seems too important and I can't work the Librarian in any other way currently.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    E - NVM, figured it out

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    rlacz732m9kb.png

I feel like it's a pretty safe assumption that any first founding chapter that kept its pre-heresy legion's colors was probably using all or most of the same iconography back before the heresy as well.

I agree
    g7m181clt52b.png
    But the other badges and awards
    taacxucfxez1.png
    I know the red helm with a white strip is a SGT but what is a all black?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    rlacz732m9kb.png

I agree
    g7m181clt52b.png
    But the other badges and awards
    taacxucfxez1.png
    I know the red helm with a white strip is a SGT but what is a all black?

All black, no yellow, is for Destroyers. Those are specialized units that use all the dirty weapons like rad grenades that nobody wants to acknowledge get used in war.

Pre-Heresy Fists also used mostly black armor with yellow accents to denote members of the Templar Brethren, aka Sigismund's Special Bois, as well. I have recently finished up the first half of my 30k Fists army, so I am steeped in their background info right now.

edit: Pre-Heresy tactical/assault sergeants just used a red stripe as their rank markers. Veterans had red helmets. Veteran sergeants had red helmets with white stripes. Heavy support sergeants used grey stripes, veteran heavy support sergeants had black helmets with white stripes. Imperial Fists loved different colored stripes to denote ranks.

Captains had yellow helmets with segmented, alternating black/white/red stripes to let everyone know they were in charge and Apothecaries wore all white armor with red stripes spiraling around their whole body.
    They did not actually do that

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Well I am going to do some with the black armor to get what I wanted the Proto Black templars But I am also going to do the usual yellow with the vet honor for most

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Apothecaries wore all white armor with red stripes spiraling around their whole body.
    They did not actually do that

Wait the original Minotaurs chapter was an Imperial Fists successor?
    z4d6lra9x0cw.jpg5p3bzhoszr1q.png
    One can hardly blame them for replacing that nightmare-to-paint with a darker version of the White Minotaurs' color scheme (bronze armor instead of gold, maroon pauldrons instead of red, black insignia instead of white) when they decided to start featuring the Minotaurs more prominently. Still, I wonder if anyone's done a kill team in the original colors?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey, what are the good Grey Knight units? Grand Master Dreadknight and Paladins (+Ancient +Apothecary), what else?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Just Grand Master Dreadknights.

As for "good for Grey Knights but not good overall and would be among the bad units in another book" then Draigo, Paladins, Apothecaries.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Did anyone try the Apoc rules at a smaller (40k) scale? Do they scale?
    They looked really interesting during the previews but then after they came out everyone immediately went back to forgetting Apoc exists

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Did anyone try the Apoc rules at a smaller (40k) scale? Do they scale?
    They looked really interesting during the previews but then after they came out everyone immediately went back to forgetting Apoc exists

I have played exactly one apocalypse game, and it was a traditional one at the end of 7th edition (as a farewell to the old rules in anticipation of 8th).

It was around 19k points on each side, and I had a total blast. I incorporated the narrative that was written for the game into the lore of my homebrew space marine chapter, and I learned just how fast I can build a Knight Warden after I panic bought one the night before the game because I didn't want to be the only guy on the table without a superheavy.

It was a total clusterfuck, but honestly I wouldn't want it any other way. New Apocalypse looks like fun, but if I'm going to be pulling out 5,000 points of models or whatever we might as well get a group together and make it an all day spectacle.