[Magic The Gathering Arena] How is it that Theros more enchanted than Eldraine?

17677798182

Posts

  • FiskebentFiskebent Registered User regular
    I played the Uncharted Paths event and it seems to me that the red deck is the strongest of the two. The black deck does some graveyard shenanigans, but a lot of the red decks removal exiles cards.

    Got myself a nice Vraska Golgari Queen for my troubles...

    steam_sig.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    I played the Uncharted Paths event and it seems to me that the red deck is the strongest of the two. The black deck does some graveyard shenanigans, but a lot of the red decks removal exiles cards.

    Got myself a nice Vraska Golgari Queen for my troubles...

    The red ramp deck is a well tuned version of a weak archetype while the Gary deck is a bad version of a strong deck

    Like either a mono-black devotion deck or a full on blue-black thassa shenanigans deck would be better. And neither of those would run shimmer or quasiduplicate

    fuck gendered marketing
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Just took 3 Gary's and 2 underworld dreams in a draft deck. This will either be awesome or embarrassing.

    VyolynceElldren
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Just took 3 Gary's and 2 underworld dreams in a draft deck. This will either be awesome or embarrassing.

    Not well!

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    Just took 3 Gary's and 2 underworld dreams in a draft deck. This will either be awesome or embarrassing.

    Not well!

    I hope you ended up with enough black support to go full mono black devotion because otherwise the underworld dreams are real, real bad

    Like if you got at least one tymaret and a few black removal spells and a blight breath or two that’s a killer deck.

    If you didn’t and had to play a second color for anything...

    fuck gendered marketing
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Just took 3 Gary's and 2 underworld dreams in a draft deck. This will either be awesome or embarrassing.

    Not well!

    I hope you ended up with enough black support to go full mono black devotion because otherwise the underworld dreams are real, real bad

    Like if you got at least one tymaret and a few black removal spells and a blight breath or two that’s a killer deck.

    If you didn’t and had to play a second color for anything...

    No, I had enough for mono black, I just never saw the underworld dreams.

    Or much of anything else. :)

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver A Lannister Always Pays His Debts Hear Me RoarRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Just took 3 Gary's and 2 underworld dreams in a draft deck. This will either be awesome or embarrassing.

    Not well!

    I hope you ended up with enough black support to go full mono black devotion because otherwise the underworld dreams are real, real bad

    Like if you got at least one tymaret and a few black removal spells and a blight breath or two that’s a killer deck.

    If you didn’t and had to play a second color for anything...

    No, I had enough for mono black, I just never saw the underworld dreams.

    Or much of anything else. :)

    Ah, you didn't make the proper sacrifices and atonements to rngesus

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    Armoroc
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited March 12
    I have not played against anything other than a control deck in a week.

    This idiotic infestation is just ridiculous.

    Edit: Ladder, unranked, doesn't matter. Nothing but control. I might have played against something that's technically "ramp", but when all the spells they cast remove my shit, I say that's control.

    My kingdom for aggro. The stupid cat ovens. Anything. Anything but the unending sea of 3feris and Uros and counters and removal...


    Editx2: Shit, I'd marry someone if I saw a goblin deck... Oh god, or kobolds, just imagine.

    dporowski on
    ElldrenDarkewolfe
  • hiraethhiraeth Registered User regular
    anybody else playing white weenie, i'm finding it surprisingly effective, i don't have many of the cards that make it work properly but it's still ok

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    hiraeth wrote: »
    anybody else playing white weenie, i'm finding it surprisingly effective, i don't have many of the cards that make it work properly but it's still ok

    There is a p good mono-white lifegain deck archetype you can build into. Key cards include Ajani’s Pridemate, Daxos, Blessed by the Sun, Alseid of Life’s Bounty, Linden, Steadfast Queen, and Heliod, Sun Crowned. Most of these are uncommons so it’s not expensive to build.

    Add other lifegain sources and removal/answers to taste

    fuck gendered marketing
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    I have not played against anything other than a control deck in a week.

    This idiotic infestation is just ridiculous.

    Edit: Ladder, unranked, doesn't matter. Nothing but control. I might have played against something that's technically "ramp", but when all the spells they cast remove my shit, I say that's control.

    My kingdom for aggro. The stupid cat ovens. Anything. Anything but the unending sea of 3feris and Uros and counters and removal...


    Editx2: Shit, I'd marry someone if I saw a goblin deck... Oh god, or kobolds, just imagine.

    I'll gladly trade you.

    My run last night was 3 RDW in a row.

    Even after I updated this particular deck to have super early answers it just didn't seem to matter.

    Had turn 1, 2 and 3 removal. A chunk of self healing. Dropping multiple planeswalkers. Still too much damage.

    I think playing against it more I can more clearly see why I hate it more than the obvious. But it feels like all of the answers to weaknesses they have been given are simultaneously part of their win condition. Anax is a big damage boy who puts a halt to one of their biggest traditional weaknesses. Robber helps give them more gas attached to a hasty body. Cleave punches through the big bodies while just being one of their biggest wincons overall.

    Whereas most other decks have to put in cards that are specific answers to their problems but don't do anything else.

    Which makes for a deck that gets to where it wants to get to much more frequently and easily. And somehow be the deck that can have lethal the earliest and also not just run out of steam late like RDW has more often in the past.

    I just hope Ikoria has some good no brain big creature decks that scare away RDW for a bit. That would be greeeeaaaaaatt.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
    Armoroc
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    For me, it's been hilarious. I'd only really been seeing RDW and control, but I decided to make myself a silly GW constellation deck. You know, Setessan Champions, Archons, Sentinel Eyes, that kind of stuff. Had only ever seen one of them, so I figured it might be a cool idea.

    ...and ever since I started playing it in normal queue, 3/4ths of my matches are against bigger variants of my exact same goddamn deck in many forms. Some use the 1/2 flier and setessan training, others splash blue for Enigmatic, but it's all GW-based constellation decks. I only see RDW when I change back to my green stompy.

    Steam ID: Right here.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    For me, it's been hilarious. I'd only really been seeing RDW and control, but I decided to make myself a silly GW constellation deck. You know, Setessan Champions, Archons, Sentinel Eyes, that kind of stuff. Had only ever seen one of them, so I figured it might be a cool idea.

    ...and ever since I started playing it in normal queue, 3/4ths of my matches are against bigger variants of my exact same goddamn deck in many forms. Some use the 1/2 flier and setessan training, others splash blue for Enigmatic, but it's all GW-based constellation decks. I only see RDW when I change back to my green stompy.

    That's going to happen in normal queue due to the way matchmaking works.

    That type of matchmaking isn't in ranked though so you just go against what people are playing at that time.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I've been running my jund sac deck because it's fun. Wins less then my RDW but the games are more interesting.

    What is this I don't even.
    Armoroc
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited March 15
    dporowski wrote: »
    I have not played against anything other than a control deck in a week.

    This idiotic infestation is just ridiculous.

    Edit: Ladder, unranked, doesn't matter. Nothing but control. I might have played against something that's technically "ramp", but when all the spells they cast remove my shit, I say that's control.

    My kingdom for aggro. The stupid cat ovens. Anything. Anything but the unending sea of 3feris and Uros and counters and removal...


    Editx2: Shit, I'd marry someone if I saw a goblin deck... Oh god, or kobolds, just imagine.

    I'll gladly trade you.

    My run last night was 3 RDW in a row.

    Even after I updated this particular deck to have super early answers it just didn't seem to matter.

    Had turn 1, 2 and 3 removal. A chunk of self healing. Dropping multiple planeswalkers. Still too much damage.

    I think playing against it more I can more clearly see why I hate it more than the obvious. But it feels like all of the answers to weaknesses they have been given are simultaneously part of their win condition. Anax is a big damage boy who puts a halt to one of their biggest traditional weaknesses. Robber helps give them more gas attached to a hasty body. Cleave punches through the big bodies while just being one of their biggest wincons overall.

    Whereas most other decks have to put in cards that are specific answers to their problems but don't do anything else.

    Which makes for a deck that gets to where it wants to get to much more frequently and easily. And somehow be the deck that can have lethal the earliest and also not just run out of steam late like RDW has more often in the past.

    I just hope Ikoria has some good no brain big creature decks that scare away RDW for a bit. That would be greeeeaaaaaatt.

    Please. I'd take anything. Now it's all control AND discard, so not only do all their spells destroy all my shit, I have no hand 2 turns in. This is horrible, it is the opposite of fun. When your entire deck is "removal", I basically have to hope you don't draw anything at all long enough for me to actually play some creatures.

    Personally, I'm hoping Ikoria fucking removes control options from the game. Maybe people will actually you know, do something that isn't just "make your opponent quit the game out of frustration".


    Edit: I mean seriously, 1 drop: removed, 2 drop, removed, 3 drop, removed, oh hey I got to play some nope board wipe.

    dporowski on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Oh fml... Simic flash is back in the mix.

    Dr. Flamingo
  • KetarKetar Ready to feel better about your own miserable lives?Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Oh fml... Simic flash is back in the mix.

    Oh, so that's what that deck is called. I hadn't seen that deck at all in my whopping month or so back playing Magic, and it came up at least 6-8 times last night.

    I don't think I'd seen a single Frilled Mystic before, and all of a sudden it was like every other deck was using them, Nightpack Ambusher and Nissa.

  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Please. I'd take anything. Now it's all control AND discard, so not only do all their spells destroy all my shit, I have no hand 2 turns in. This is horrible, it is the opposite of fun. When your entire deck is "removal", I basically have to hope you don't draw anything at all long enough for me to actually play some creatures.

    Personally, I'm hoping Ikoria fucking removes control options from the game. Maybe people will actually you know, do something that isn't just "make your opponent quit the game out of frustration".


    Edit: I mean seriously, 1 drop: removed, 2 drop, removed, 3 drop, removed, oh hey I got to play some nope board wipe.

    I've met a couple decks already that far as I can tell are just removal spells, planeswalkers with removal, and removal creatures. Like, I think the actual win condition is hitting you ten times with murderous riders or liliana zombies, because far as I can see they have absolutely nothing that can't kill a thing.

    Steam ID: Right here.
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Please. I'd take anything. Now it's all control AND discard, so not only do all their spells destroy all my shit, I have no hand 2 turns in. This is horrible, it is the opposite of fun. When your entire deck is "removal", I basically have to hope you don't draw anything at all long enough for me to actually play some creatures.

    Personally, I'm hoping Ikoria fucking removes control options from the game. Maybe people will actually you know, do something that isn't just "make your opponent quit the game out of frustration".


    Edit: I mean seriously, 1 drop: removed, 2 drop, removed, 3 drop, removed, oh hey I got to play some nope board wipe.

    I've met a couple decks already that far as I can tell are just removal spells, planeswalkers with removal, and removal creatures. Like, I think the actual win condition is hitting you ten times with murderous riders or liliana zombies, because far as I can see they have absolutely nothing that can't kill a thing.

    This sounds like every damn game I played all week. Except the one or two really awesome RDW mirror matches, where it actually involved decision-making and shit. Not relaxing games, but they were real good.

    On that note, seriously, nobody expects Heartfire.

  • KetarKetar Ready to feel better about your own miserable lives?Registered User regular
    I'm reasonably certain that looking it up right now in response to your post is the first time I've ever seen Heartfire, despite playing against RDW roughly 42 million times in the last month.

    So yes, seriously, nobody expects Heartfire.

  • KetarKetar Ready to feel better about your own miserable lives?Registered User regular
    Like, if I had 4 life left and a solid board against RDW with 2 cards in hand I would think it roughly 10,000% more likely that I would die to either 2 Shocks, or Shock followed by Light Up the Stage and a lucky pull of another Shock, than death due to Heartfire.

  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Hey, it works. :p Shock isn't getting me much past the first few turns, and I can in general use the giant Stomps for whatever I'd use a Shock on.

  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Temur adventures is the deck to beat, it feels like, and yeah, Simic and Izzet flash do pretty good against that.

    I had the "play 40 lands" quest so I loaded up temur adventures, adding the land drop nymph to go along with the other extra land drops card. Even making the deck "worse" I still was wiping up.

    It doesn't feel right to be able to play goodstuff dot dek as a standard powerhouse :|.

    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • KetarKetar Ready to feel better about your own miserable lives?Registered User regular
    edited March 16
    I've been playing a tweaked version of Tammy Pham's golgari adventures list that is an absolute blast to play when it gets going. Bringing back 2-3 creatures from my graveyard on a single Order of Midnight adventure never gets old, and neither does all that card draw with Innkeepers out. Getting what amounts to a 15 point or more drain life at times for a single black mana is just dirty in all of the best ways. So is purging 3 incredibly irritating planeswalkers with a single Murderous Rider.

    And making people repeatedly nuke Diamond Knight from orbit once they realize how quickly they can become real big boys still gets a chuckle out of me.

    Ketar on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Ive seen some insane combo turns with decks like that. Multiple clovers with smitten swordsman can certainly come from nowhere

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    KetarVyolynce
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Just ran in to a mono blue mill desk that let Syr Konrad stick and didn't read his text.

    'Yeah, mill the top few cards of your library into your graveyard. Wait, why am I taking damage?'

    It made me grin.

    VyolynceDemonStacey
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thank Wizards the Heirlooms of History event only requires one win, because the balance between these decks is absolute dogshit.

    Vyolynce
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    So I mucked about and tossed together what might be a shitty Izzet Drakes deck... This feels a little odd only having the 4 drakes as a win condition; is there normally something else? I mean it's worked, limited sample size aside.

  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Pteramanders are usually in there too I think

    Elldren
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver A Lannister Always Pays His Debts Hear Me RoarRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Pteramanders are usually in there too I think

    also niv mizzet

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Cavalier of Gales and Flame? It's been a while since i've played Izzet drakes.

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 18
    The deck used to run 10-11 threats between Pteramanders, Crackling, and Enigma Drake. Niv was rarely maindeckable, but you could do one in a spell-heavy environment. Now I'd probably run 4 Pteramander, 4 Cracking, and maybe 3 Brazen Borrower? Or 2 Borrower and 1 Niv.

    Bonecrusher Giant could be okay too, but I think you want the evasion more. Cavaliers are too expensive.

    admanb on
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    Hm, I'll try the giants, but I'm inclined to agree on evasion there. However, I have 4 giants, and 0 Borrowers, and 1 Niv, so... 2 Giants, 1 Niv it is! (I haven't even crafted 3/4 of the Temples/Shocklands for it, just running 1 of each I happened to have. Apart from the Drakes/Pteramanders, this is just stuff I already had.)

    It's not the most exciting thing I'm finding. Frantically spam card draw till drake, hope to protect it.

    dporowski on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    i think the key was having something to protect your drakes and Niv, so anything that can give creatures Hexproof, blink them or the ol' fashioned counterspell. I think current standard has those but they're a bit high on CMC compared to the Ixelan cycle.

  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Ah yeah, I went counters. Something to mess around with...

  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Games go so fast now it takes me about 10 games to complete the "cast 20 spells" quests.

    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    I had 2 concedes last night within 2 turns of playing my Orzhov Lifegain deck. It's actually not that scary of a deck. Do people fear Ajani's Pridemates that much?

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver A Lannister Always Pays His Debts Hear Me RoarRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I had 2 concedes last night within 2 turns of playing my Orzhov Lifegain deck. It's actually not that scary of a deck. Do people fear Ajani's Pridemates that much?

    Yes because they infinitely scale.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    Konphujun
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Depends; if you have non-damage-based removal like Murderous Rider or Teferi then the Pridemates aren't too much trouble. OTOH if you're red then they can get out of hand real fast.

    I've also played games against lifegain decks where I kill their turn 2 Pridemate and they concede instantly, so I guess it can go either way.

  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    edited March 19
    I'm trying to figure out if there's potential in adding some sort of channel-type spells where I can use the extra lifegain to cause damage to my opponent or a target. I haven't really investigated, though.

    I wonder how much a Shasowspear would work in the deck, maybe as a 1-2 quantity. It would certainly help with being chump blocked when I've got a 13-power Pridemate or Aerialist.

    Mugsley on
Sign In or Register to comment.