As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2019
    KalTorak wrote: »
    what does it do in the deck? Seems like a medium-slow draw machine.

Hell if I knew, only one that beat me was the one that stuffed a lot of shit into it, then used it to get Karn into play and bounce him eight billion times and then zap me with Tefferet twice. Seemed gimmicky as heck.

Echo on
    I'm at 1 health against a mono-red deck, I got him down to 4.

He topdecks Lightning Strike, plays it instantly.

My 2x Leyline of Combustion nuke him first.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Satisfaction.

Speaking of...

Dear MTG Arena Thread,

I never thought this would happen to me, but when it did I had to tell someone. I had a Voracious Hydra out and my opponent cast Kasmina's Transmutation on it. It gained 1 power.

My emote: "Nice!"
    Their emote: "Oops"

Immediate concession. Then I had a cigarette.

Sincerely,

Hank from Hydratown

P.S.: Of course, my hydra lost trample, but I had a Goreclaw in hand anyway.

Shadowen on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    What is this MTG Arena Thread After Dark?

These last couple posts have been too hot for prime time.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Things can always get dirtier

for example, no one has let me go Yarok -> Voracious Hydra yet

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Oh yeah. That was my very first sealed pool.

That set my expectations way too high for the limited format

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Oh yeah. That was my very first sealed pool.

That set my expectations way too high for the limited format

I really like m20 limited.

It’s way better than war limited which is easily my least favorite limited set in years

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Has anyone done the Ravnica Sealed event, with 3 Guilds and 3 Allegiance packs?

I kinda want to try it for fun, but it's 2k gems that would probably be better saved for the new set.

Nice bug. Lost a game because an Angel token with flying didn't actually look like it was flying.

Echo wrote: »
    Nice bug. Lost a game because an Angel token with flying didn't actually look like it was flying.

That token bug is super annoying and has been around for a few months now

fuck gendered marketing
    It's nice when you make an idiot move and the opponent makes an even bigger idiot move.

They had Treasure Map + a Treasure token out.

I pop Angrath's Rampage, thinking I'm getting rid of Treasure Map, realizing my mistake instantly.

They pop the mana from Treasure Token, lose Treasure Map.

*smacks with Carnage*

jnqk82mefgm9.png

That'll do.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    *smacks with Carnage*

jnqk82mefgm9.png

That'll do.

I miss having Carnage in my deck. I do have Yarnok's Fenlurker, which is hilarious to reanimate with Sorin but not quite the same...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I went 6-1 with Azorius Flyers in the event, losing only to another Azorius Flyers.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Been awhile since I checked in- do we know anything about what we are getting in the fall?

Please be Innistrad

Next expac is Arthurian legend and fairy tale themed on a new plane called Eldraine.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Im extremely done with innistrad and zendikar

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Eldrazi need to be benched for a while. I wouldn't mind if in a few 4-5 (?) years they want to bring Emrakul back into the mix and we find out she escaped the moon somehow off-camera, no need to make a whole thing of it.

Wait what is this event? The email I got literally just said go to dominaria and become a legend.is it legendary themed somehow?

Current event is standard constructed with a ban list of the more popular meta cards.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's just build a deck as normal but some cards are banned.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Yilias wrote: »
    Next expac is Arthurian legend and fairy tale themed on a new plane called Eldraine.

It looks awesome

fuck gendered marketing
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I can't get over how much M20 is a really great set completely garbaged up on arena because everybody just drafts 3 heartpiercer bows. It's just so dumb. Even in traditional draft it's still just a race to the bows.

You can kind of avoid this by drafting bigger butts but even then it's rough times.

Edit:I know early on everyone had risen reef decks and they fixed the bots, but I don't know how you convince a bot to draft a common enough.

Also I wonder if theirs a way for arena to only match you against archetypes you would have faced at your table. Like if you go mono red, you shouldn't face another mono red deck in your games.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Im extremely done with innistrad and zendikar

I missed that 2nd block so I'm hungry for it

Yilias wrote: »

googles

ooooo fuck yeah it does

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    lol

So playing in the new event, mono-white weenie lifegain against green/white auras. A lot of my early stuff gets Pacified or Luminous Bonds',d, that sort of thing, and they played a Satyr Enchanter turn 3, so they keep drawing new ones and new threats I have to deal with. Gets a whole bunch of little stuff down that's necessary to the playstyle and that I could kill with some of my few creatures that can still block. I've also got two (Bonds'd) Angels of Vitality and got Ajani's Welcome and Leonin Vanguard out early (and a second one later one) so the lifegain is keeping me ahead of their creatures.

They finally stop drawing auras, so they stop drawing cards, not drawing new stuff, and I get Dawn of Hope, then, Diamond Mare, then Pridemate. At this point I figure I'm just biding my time and hoping they don't draw something big enough to one-shot me--because since the early game I've had Bond of Discipline in my hand.

With Dawn of Hope I crank out little guys to stay alive and build up the Pridemade until it's big enough, but on the turn he gets there I tap out.

But in the meantime they've drawn a bunch of lands...and Shalai, and fired it off once or twice. Not a big deal, because the Bond doesn't target. Except they have Emmara, Soul of the Accord out.

I play Bonds of Duty, all their stuff taps, they GG but don't concede, I attack, they realize they can chump block my non-trampling 15/15. Now I still gain a lot of life--but they have Shalai on the board and a bunch of mana and I have no defense. They fire off Shalai a couple times on their turn.

I'm at 64. They attack me with enough, I figure out by doing the math later, to do 64 damage exactly, and I'm tapped out; can't even put out another token with Dawn of Hope to stave it off.

Network disconnection. Nobody (as far as I can tell) wins.

The end! No moral.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Woo, I just beat Todd Stevens in the event! He was on BW lifegain and fliers just sort of... flew over him. He also whiffed on any boardwipes, which hurt him a lot.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
    I just witnessed one of the worst deliberate advantage plays ever. I'm playing my Ajani mono-white lifegain deck and on my turn have just played M20 Ajani, ticked down for a pridemate token, and gained 5 life from etbs and leonin vanguards and healer's hawks swinging leaving the pridemate token at 7/7. On my opponent's board they have a couple of adanto vanguards, a couple of 2/1 mana dorks, and a vine mare (5/3 hexproof)

I can't really swing the pridemate next turn without leaving Ajani vulnerable and they could either force some bad trades if they swing out, or stand pat and play defensively with the adantos who can chump block basically forever

Instead, what they do is cast sentinel's mark on the vine mare and swing alone with it. So of course I block with the token to force the trick. The trick? Another sentinel's mark. this leaves it at 7/7 and it trades with the token.

My turn I make a second, identical token by ticking Ajani down again.

3 cards played for, like, half a card and some minor tempo

fuck gendered marketing
    milski wrote: »
    Woo, I just beat Todd Stevens in the event! He was on BW lifegain and fliers just sort of... flew over him. He also whiffed on any boardwipes, which hurt him a lot.

Good. He's terrible

Good. He's terrible

Pecking his eyes out with hawks was the most morally righteous thing I've done in Magic since I flashed in a Notion Thief to save a table from a doublecast Molten Psyche with Nekusar out.

I ate an engineer
    Got through the event pretty easily with Jund Dinos, I don't think any of its cards are banned. Pretty crazy how quick that deck can end things with huge hasty monsters when you don't have Teferis clogging everything up.

• gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Any news on commander for mtga?

After watching all the game knights episodes, I really want to play some multiplayer commander.

Can the mtga client even handle 4 players? I mean, it is SUPER laggy/glitchy with just 2 players +thousands of animations and soundfx.
    If wotc removed all the unneeded fluff that is animations and sound fx, I'm sure the game would run 100000x better.

Still in need of around 150-200 rare wild cards :(

gBAZ wrote: »
    Any news on commander for mtga?

After watching all the game knights episodes, I really want to play some multiplayer commander.

Can the mtga client even handle 4 players? I mean, it is SUPER laggy/glitchy with just 2 players +thousands of animations and soundfx.
    If wotc removed all the unneeded fluff that is animations and sound fx, I'm sure the game would run 100000x better.

Still in need of around 150-200 rare wild cards :(

They have announced Brawl for MTGA, which took forever because apparently they did not originally build MTGA architecture in a way that made it easy to parse color identity (which is kinda weird since you would find e.g. Shalai in green cards at the back, so it seemed like they had it, but eh). It will only be 1v1 for now, because the game is also not set up for multiplayer at all.

As far as Commander goes, that's absolutely never happening on Arena. They'd have to implement literally all cards ever printed, which is... what, 10x bigger than the current card pool, if not more? It's probably a pipe dream.

I ate an engineer
    Multiplayer seems like a bigger issue than format legality. They could just make MTGA Commander use historic format cards, but a 4 player UI and architecture would be a huge undertaking.

I mean yeah, Historic Brawl is gonna be a thing (or should be) but nobody would call that Commander.

Still, it gives me Muldrotha, which is all I want.

I ate an engineer
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Nice to see them reaching into the vaults for old land arts to give away. Mirage was released... god, 23 years ago in 1996. Still sells pretty well because people want to go digging for Lion's Eye Diamonds and tutors, too...

It was literally the first block release I was there for when I started playing.

EDIT: Though if they were serious about wanting to ban all the overused cards in standard, why not nail the main pieces of the Ajani lifegain machine- like Pridemate and Welcome?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Easiest 6-0 ever in the Standard Shakedown with Jund Dinos. I've played the deck a ton at Mythic level and it's already a tier one deck. Raptor and Ripjaw should have been banned from the event.

I honestly felt bad for the brewers who were trying to do things only to get run over no later than turn 6 and most time turn 4 or 5.

Assuran on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I mean yeah, Historic Brawl is gonna be a thing (or should be) but nobody would call that Commander.

Still, it gives me Muldrotha, which is all I want.

The problem with "Historic Brawl" is that it wouldn't rotate the way real Brawl does, thus eliminating the need for, say, the new precons coming with Eldraine featuring commanders whose color identities would otherwise be unsupported in Standard (like Bant once M19 takes Arcades with it). That feels unlikely to be a decision they'll make, at least for a while.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Nice to see them reaching into the vaults for old land arts to give away. Mirage was released... god, 23 years ago in 1996. Still sells pretty well because people want to go digging for Lion's Eye Diamonds and tutors, too...

It was literally the first block release I was there for when I started playing.

EDIT: Though if they were serious about wanting to ban all the overused cards in standard, why not nail the main pieces of the Ajani lifegain machine- like Pridemate and Welcome?

I wouldn't consider either of those used let alone overused. Presumably they built this list off of metagame shares either what gets posted online or maybe they have internal tracking on deck types but lifegain.dek is really not a thing on the ladder in my experiencr or in competitive play. I only run into it when I got casual play to do a daily quest sometimes

edited August 2019
    JaysonFour wrote: »

I wouldn't consider either of those used let alone overused. Presumably they built this list off of metagame shares either what gets posted online or maybe they have internal tracking on deck types but lifegain.dek is really not a thing on the ladder in my experiencr or in competitive play. I only run into it when I got casual play to do a daily quest sometimes

It’s very much not a top tier meta deck, so it’s actually exactly the sort of deck the shakeup format wants. See also: merfolk, naya dinos, zombie tribal, izzet drakes, rakdos discard, mardu aristocrats, etc etc etc

There are a lot of lower tier decks in standard right now as it’s near the end of the rotation.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing