Options

Tekken and Other Fighting Games That Aren't Tekken, I Guess (digital karate simulations)

19596979899101»

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Glancing around it LOOKS like since I just want a custom case and will be buying buttons and all myself it won't be so delayed, pre-builts seem harder hit, but I don't know why I'm tempting fate saying this out loud.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I keep meaning to pull the trigger on building my own hitbox, but I'm a bit nervous cause I'm not the handy sort.

One of these days I'll have the nerve and the spare cash at the same time.

• Options
    I keep meaning to pull the trigger on building my own hitbox, but I'm a bit nervous cause I'm not the handy sort.

My initial impression is it's about as easy as any other kit furniture/gundam, at least with prebuilt cases. Cutting my own acrylic etc. would be a bit hairier.

• Options
    It's getting towards something I don't hate!

PV5sr12.jpg

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Barbatos and Zakus?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Shhhh, and tekkadan and zeon...listen I couldn't find any graze sillohettes and the gjallahorn logo is too busy :P

Though it is going to kill me that one gun isn't finished. If anyone knows how to hack that.

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Gonna be honest, I only recognized Barbatos because of the Tekkadan emblem, and Zeon because Zakus.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

You only need to be handy if you are using individual wires and need to strip and crimp and whatever.

If you get wiring harnesses instead of individual wires, it's actually quite easy to handle. Talk to the folks at Paradise or All Fight Sticks, and they can definitely find the right ones for you.

Other than that, you're just popping buttons into precut holes and plugging harness headers into a pcb. I find it pretty fun, and I'm only medium handy!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Winners bracket
    HB|Kawano (Kolin) vs. Rohto|Tokido (Urien)
    DNG|John Takeuchi (Cody, Rashid) vs. GyoGun|Mago (Cammy)

Losers bracket
    BST|Daigo (Guile) vs. DNG|Itabashi Zangief (Abigail, Zangief)
    Victrix|Momochi (Ryu) vs. BST|Fuudo (R. Mika, Poison, Birdie)

first CPT event, this one was stacked

good character diversity though

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Updates to design that no one asked for but I'm having fun, with and without buttons which will be some sanwa silents for the 33mm and samducksa for the 24mm (at least I hope, who knows stock anymore)
    https://imgur.com/jiq6KjJ
    https://imgur.com/YZsOaxt

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I welcome everyone to the custom hitbox club. It's great, knowing your stick works on basically everything.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I wonder if the brook boards will work on PS5. Maybe wait for your favorite PS5 fighting game to come out and be field tested before committing.

XilLhNr.png

So this is a brook board - there is a new wireless version out, but the parts you have to worry about are all there. If you're familiar with building computers, those pins you see on the bottom left are where you plug in a plastic header of a premade harness.

Uh, some wire terminology here:

tTU0zya.png

Harness (green) - for the purposes of fight sticks, a bundle of wires that are organized and plugged into a plastic header that you can just plug into a board or component without having to worry about connecting each individual wire at least on one end.
    Quick Disconnect (red) - a metal slot that's welded or crimped onto the end of a wire that you can plug or unplug a connector into

Honestly, I don't bother with premade harnesses for buttons because sometimes there is a problem with a poor fitting quick disconnect or something. Usually all the wires work fine. Harnesses are preferable for joysticks. If you trust the wires, though, then go for the harness. A lot less hassle initially.

So if you don't use a harness, how are you going to connect the wire to the board? Well, look at the top part of the brook board - you see that blue thing with the tiny screw at the top? Well, there's a hole in the side. You unscrew the screw a little bit, then push a little bit of a stripped wire (you may need to strip the wire yourself, which you can do with a wire stripper or by carefully using scissors / a knife) into the side hole, then screw back in to clamp. If you're going to do it that way, a magnifying glass and a light help but aren't terribly necessary if you have decent eyesight.

KDr90oM.png

Here's a sanwa button. You see that copper plug there? That's a 0.110" size, which matches a .110" quick disconnect. You can use larger quick disconnects, but if you get the right size it fits much better.. Pay attention to quick disconnect / plug size!
    Second, you see the part I zoomed in? You see how the end of the snap thing is stepped? That's because sanwa tolerates a front panel thickness of 2-4mm. If you're doing a custom board, make sure you know how thick the front panel is to avoid heartache - otherwise you'll have to go for another brand's button that uses a screw on the other side.

Q7zmmLk.pngic9GSeZ.png

So components like buttons and joysticks need grounding, otherwise charge builds up and they stop working after a while. That's why buttons have two prongs. Which prong you use doesn't really matter, but one should be the signal wire and one should be the ground wire. However, the brook board only has two or three ground connectors - so how are you gonna fit one ground per button? Here are two solutions. On the left, there is a harness for four hitbox type buttons. Notice that there are actually 8 wires. That's cuz one of each pair is a ground wire. But if you look at the harness, there are only 5 pins! That's because all four ground wires are combined in a daisy chain to exit out one pin.

What's a daisy chain? Look at the second picture. Each ground wire is connected to the quick disconnect of the next wire, linking them in series instead of parallel. Series, parallel, doesn't matter - all you need is a path for electricity to escape. Remember to select the correct quick disconnect size!

Another vocab word:

HMC60Dk.png

Pass-through: you plug a cable in one end and the same or compatible type of cable in the other end. This is to give you a professional looking outlet for the power/data cord that must go outside the case and protect your expensive board from being damaged if someone trips over your cord.

Um, those are the basics. So you'll need:
    • A case, preferably one with a front plate that is no more than 4mm in thickness and holes compatible with the buttons / joystick you've got
    • A PCB that's compatible with the game and system you've got
    • A joystick if you're getting one
    • A 5-pin wiring harness for the joystick (4 directional wires and 1 ground wire) if you're getting a joystick
    • Buttons
    • 1 signal wire per button with a quick disconnect of that button's size that goes either into a bare wire end or a harness connector
    • 1 ground wire per button that can be daisy chained into a single wire with quick disconnects in series that you can just trim to the ones you want. Might want to make a few daisy chains or make a longer one to account for far away buttons
    • A pass through compatible with your board and the type of cable you use
    • Countersunk screws compatible with the pass through (may be included)
    • Screw holes for the pass through pre-drilled in the case, or the ability to drill them yourself with a power drill, correct bit type, washer and bolt
    • A really short USB or RJ45 cable (Depending on your fighting board and pass through) that connects them
    • A long USB A / USB B / RJ45 cable that matches the passthrough and wherever you have to plug it in on your console / PC
    • Pliers - in case a quick disconnect behaves badly and won't come off a button. This is also why I kind of like not working with harnesses
    • Wirecutter / wire stripper - scissors will do in a pinch, but you'll have to be careful not to cut the copper strands when stripping wires. Not really necessary if you're going full harness
    • Head lamp or a convenient light source you don't have to hold
    • Magnifying glass if you're threading stripped wires manually into those screw holes
    • Miniature screwdriver if you're threading stripped wires manually into those screw holes

Anyway this is a lot easier than I'm making it look if you just do a tiny bit of research to make sure everything fits together. The only reason I'm giving so much information is to make sure your assembly is one-and-done if this is the first time you're doing this. You don't need a soldering iron, heat shrink wraps, heat gun, solder, crimping tools, or extra connectors unless you really are comfortable with them.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I don't know what it says about my skillz and knowledge sets, but across all 4 of these I have a nearly 20% better rate of guessing right on games I've never touched (Jackie Chan, most of the GGs and BlazeBlues) than games I've poured dozens to hundreds of hours into (Tekkens 3-7, Injustice 1 and 2, KoF (especially 2002 and 14)).

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    One of those really surprised me.

Anyone who votes against an Xrd danger time combo is a fool though.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    If it's kusoge the answer is always yes.

• Options
    OH no, oh no, I've got buttons coming from the us, korea, a pcb, harness and some more cherry switches all on the way. finishing up some art and ordering the case today too....oh nooooooo Now I'm comitted to being bad at fighting games.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I've been watching Sajam play a lot of ACR+ and it made me realize how much I like the beefyness of Strive.

There is a lot of impact in the moves that is very nice from a visual/sound perspective.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    AC+R has some pretty beefy stuff too. It's just beefy in a way that blows out your speakers/headphones/eardrums.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Fig-D wrote: »
    AC+R has some pretty beefy stuff too. It's just beefy in a way that blows out your speakers/headphones/eardrums.

Yeah not to say it doesn't but the sounds are a lot more slashy. Strives are a lot more punchy.

That's the most scientific way I can put it.

• Options
    OH no, oh no, I've got buttons coming from the us, korea, a pcb, harness and some more cherry switches all on the way. finishing up some art and ordering the case today too....oh nooooooo Now I'm comitted to being bad at fighting games.

And of course NOW I realize what I really want is a mob psycho themed stick. Or dorohedoro. Guess I'm buying more art......This is just a really expensive lunchbox for me to put stickers on, isn't it?

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

The game Virtua Fighter esports with id CUSA20138 has been added to the PS4 japanese PSN!

Apperently a version of Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown coming in the future.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
This discussion has been closed.