As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tekken and Other Fighting Games That Aren't Tekken, I Guess (digital karate simulations)

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Welp, there's already a bit of mud-slinging towards her. I hope this can be more definitive than he-said-she-said. :(

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    fuckin

what the hell is going on

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    fuckin

what the hell is going on

critical mass of people sick of letting other people get away with it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The Gilty "rumors but not really because everyone knows about it" have been going around for years.

Looks like a few people finally got sick of her "apologizing only to pull the exact same shit a month or so later" and it snowballed from there.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Jesus, what's that old say about cockroaches and kitchen lights?

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    SabreMau on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Noooooo Yoshi j.C no longer crosses up.

RIP

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Now everyone can drop Genjuro and I can play my favorite samsho character in peace

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    it appears that floe's lawyer advised him to just retweet women saying nice things about him, so crisis averted I guess

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I think so many good ideas went into Lucia's gameplay design that they had literally none left when they got to making her VT1.
    She gets EX kick specials that now just cost V-gauge. Wow. I mean sure, it means she can use EX moves without losing the ability to do CA, but on the scale of boring VTs that is some Season 1 ish.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    SF4/V/UNIST anyone?

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Also I find it interesting to think that of all the things Capcom hasn't cribbed from SNK in their endless back and forth of mechanic cribbing, it's that Capcom hadn't had a character that prominently cribbed K''s (wtf that punctuation, it isn't "K double-prime", but "K-dash possessive") Iron Trigger (i.e. that move where does a point blank range projectile which then has follow-ups). Maybe it's that in the generally less-mobile world of numbered SF sequels, that kind of projectile-negator with projectile or AA or combo damage follow-up would be too strong? But now Lucia kinda has that with her hacky sack flame kicks.

l_g on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    And her s.HP is pretty much just Rock Howard's s.HP.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    Also I find it interesting to think that of all the things Capcom hasn't cribbed from SNK in their endless back and forth of mechanic cribbing, it's that Capcom hadn't had a character that prominently cribbed K''s (wtf that punctuation, it isn't "K double-prime", but "K-dash possessive") Iron Trigger (i.e. that move where does a point blank range projectile which then has follow-ups). Maybe it's that in the generally less-mobile world of numbered SF sequels, that kind of projectile-negator with projectile or AA or combo damage follow-up would be too strong? But now Lucia kinda has that with her hacky sack flame kicks.

Guile's V Skill?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

Guile's V Skill?

I suppose so, but he only had one follow-up possible, right? Does Lucia get to pick which follow up kick she does, or is that fixed from the button she presses in the initial kick?

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    You get to pick. The kick strength used for Fire Cracker (the first part of the move) is irrelevant. No option to cancel into the run like K' can cancel into slide. That might actually be too strong. Maybe that should have been her VT1 instead of free EX moves.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    If she could cancel into the run at no cost that'd almost be like having FADC / Ken's VT1!

Also having played a ton of Geese in Tekken 7 in the past few years, I would love it if there was some hack where the jump speeds for Geese and Akuma were greatly increased just for fun playing against one another. Because Tekken was a game that wasn't really designed around having an air game, anti-air as a general concept isn't really there and the result of a given move against a jumping move often feels like a crapshoot. Sure you can jab people out of the startup of orbital, but most characters don't really have moves with hitboxes designed to counter jump-ins that are already in progress. Geese and Akuma's jumps are really slow, and sidestepping counters the hell out of normal jumping, especially in Geese's case where he doesn't have the command jump that has a tracking kick option. But what Geese and Akuma both have are multiple good moves for anti-air! Whether ones that cost meter, or Geese counters, or DP, or even jump back fireball, they both have a lot more moves that can be used as good or goofy options against their own style of jumping. So what if you just had pseudo-2D matches with them with jumps that are stronger for fun? It'd probably be obnoxious AF against the regular Tekken cast, though.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Fairly tangential, but speaking of SonicFox, apparently he's also a pretty amazing piano player:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SincereAnimatedMagpieGivePLZ

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

It's been a while since I've played SFV, but there's another mechanic that I don't think Capcom has used yet, if at all? Angel and Momo (KoFXI) both have chain commands. They don't all combo well together, but you could start with something like Fwd+HP, then that can link into Up+HP, or Down+HK, or Back+HP, which any of those can link into something else.

I know the SFV cast almost all have some kind of direction+button command move, but none of them really combo into one another more than once. Ed and Falke are kind of unique-ish though, and I don't think KoF has a similar character like them?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Fairly tangential, but speaking of SonicFox, apparently he's also a pretty amazing piano player:

Very serious question: how are the eyes in the fox mask moving?

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I don’t think they are. I think it’s the old “eyeballs are slightly behind the opening for the eye, giving the illusion that the eye is following you” trick that haunted houses use.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    edited August 2019

It's been a while since I've played SFV, but there's another mechanic that I don't think Capcom has used yet, if at all? Angel and Momo (KoFXI) both have chain commands. They don't all combo well together, but you could start with something like Fwd+HP, then that can link into Up+HP, or Down+HK, or Back+HP, which any of those can link into something else.

I know the SFV cast almost all have some kind of direction+button command move, but none of them really combo into one another more than once. Ed and Falke are kind of unique-ish though, and I don't think KoF has a similar character like them?

Yeah, one of the interesting KOF standards is that virtually any cancellable normal can chain into command normals, and often when this is done the command normal gains the property of cancellability but loses the property of overhead (if it had it). This is idiosyncratic to KOF and has never really been adopted by SF as a general system.

But then there are characters with multiple chaining paths out from that in KOF, which reflects the chaining options that other characters have in special moves (e.g. Kyo has multiple ending options from his QCF+P chain). Karin is one of the most KOF-ish characters in her gameplay from the outset in SFA3, having chains with multiple options, a command grab, a counter move, etc. Cammy and Akuma have their special jumps that have a bunch of options out from it! There are still a handful of chain combo things that have combo/mixup options in a fixed fashion in SF, but they aren't prevalent. On the flip side, this type of fixed string with particular options is extremely prevalent in the 3D fighting games, like Tekken and SC.

What I'm getting at is that if you want a game where EVERYBODY is like that, you should play UNIST because everybody can chain backwards, forwards, and into overheads (if they have them).

l_g on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

I don’t think they are. I think it’s the old “eyeballs are slightly behind the opening for the eye, giving the illusion that the eye is following you” trick that haunted houses use.

yeah the eyes are hollows with the irises printed on the back, which creates that optical illusion

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Tekken continues to be the best, most fun fighting game

UNTIL you have to consistently break throws

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

Didn't you hear? Throws are garbage in Tekken, because everyone can break them on reaction, every time.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Didn't you hear? Throws are garbage in Tekken, because everyone can break them on reaction, every time.

All you have to do is watch which hand they're grabbing with and break accordingly, it's a totally fake mix-up!

• Options
    edited August 2019

Ah, damn. I guess Snake Edges are the real bullshit after all.
    Deans wrote: »

All you have to do is watch which hand they're grabbing with and break accordingly, it's a totally fake mix-up!

it's true, thank god 1 or 2 are the only buttons I need to hit--by themselves, mind--to break throws

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Yeah, after playing Tekken and watching a lot of streamers/tournaments how "useless" throws are is greatly overblown.

Pro players are the only ones I see do it consistently and even they still get hit. High level players it's like 50/50. And low/intermediate is like...nah.

I think you shouldn't rely too heavily on throws as they can become a crutch but I think a lot of new players here older players call throws bad and then don't even bother using an important part of their moveset.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yeah, after playing Tekken and watching a lot of streamers/tournaments how "useless" throws are is greatly overblown.

Pro players are the only ones I see do it consistently and even they still get hit. High level players it's like 50/50. And low/intermediate is like...nah.

I think you shouldn't rely too heavily on throws as they can become a crutch but I think a lot of new players here older players call throws bad and then don't even bother using an important part of their moveset.

Honestly, side step throw is one of my favorite things to do in Tekken. Nailing the read into Hwoarang's neck breaker side throw defines a lot of my late 90s gaming

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    If you are playing against most people and have to guess a throw break and it isn't a chain throw, guess 1+2.

Most scrubs like myself don't bother with the throws that can be broken with 1 because they so often get broken by people mashing jab furiously that if we ever do go for a throw, it'll be a throw that isn't 1+3 or 2+4.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Sometimes I throw because I want you to break it. Either because the break switches sides, or puts me at a range/frames that are good for me. Every throw causes a different situation on break. If you learn what they are, you can throw for advantage even if they're sharp at breaking.

• Options
  • Options
    Its so interesting seeing all these great players who went unnoticed for so long because traveling was cost prohibitive suddenly making such a big impact.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Its so interesting seeing all these great players who went unnoticed for so long because traveling was cost prohibitive suddenly making such a big impact.

Hopefully as 'eSports' becomes more recognized, Visas become less of a barrier as well.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Google money.

This discussion has been closed.