As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tekken and Other Fighting Games That Aren't Tekken, I Guess (digital karate simulations)

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    xbox exclusive really hurts it, and theres no ranked crossplay with steam. if it were a f2p title on playstation it would probably be one of the most popular fighters out there.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    What about it dont you like?

Its more of a personal thing.

I feel like you're mostly guessing until you get decent enough at reading the animations which is more a time investment than I know I'll give the game.

Some people have told me that your character's hitstun animation depends on the strength of the linkers being used, so you can react based on those; if that's true, though, I've yet to get familiar enough with them

Most of the time it's down to a guessing game based on your opponent's mindset, because you really don't want them to get those big linkers and let them cash out while you're waiting for some reactable

Yeah your hit animations differ based on the strength of the attack so you dont have to learn everyone's attack animations, but rather your characters hitstun.

I got a lot better at breaking when I realized that.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    xbox exclusive really hurts it, and theres no ranked crossplay with steam. if it were a f2p title on playstation it would probably be one of the most popular fighters out there.

This is exactly why I bought the Windows store version, so I'm fighting all the Xbox players

The Steam version's inability to get ranked crossplay is weird

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Oh I love him.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Looks like he has multiple runway walks that auto-parry certain attacks? That's amazing.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    looks like they took the dude from the honeybee inn and then a demon possessed him

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    Looks like he has multiple runway walks that auto-parry certain attacks? That's amazing.

Belial vs. Zoolander vs. Hansel, three-way dance.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

Can't wait to give folks the Blue Steel

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wow...30 years. I thought he was in his 40s.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    There's rumors that internally his work on SFVI was a disaster and he was demoted again before saying "Fuck it" and quitting.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Beezel wrote: »
    There's rumors that internally his work on SFVI was a disaster and he was demoted again before saying "Fuck it" and quitting.

He was publicly revealed to be reshuffled (demoted) away from game development and publishing and into the head of esports around 6 months ago, along with other management changes, in a notice to shareholders. That part isn't rumor.

All the SFVI stuff is rumors though.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Dusk Golem's definitely got insider contacts at Capcom; I don't know that this lends credence to what they said about SFVI, exactly, but it definitely doesn't make it sound less likely

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »

He was publicly revealed to be reshuffled (demoted) away from game development and publishing and into the head of esports around 6 months ago, along with other management changes, in a notice to shareholders. That part isn't rumor.

All the SFVI stuff is rumors though.

He was carrying the debacle of the Phanta Rei engine and Deep Down.

A shame.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I wanna know what the hell happened to Deep Down sometime.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Too much of Sony's money for exclusives was spent with little results is my guess.

Phanta Rei was gonna be their in-house engine. But that crumbled and went with Unreal, a pricey endeavor.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Music's a bit too close to K. Rool's theme, imho.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it does feel very much like a song where someone handed the composer k. rool's pirate theme and said "make something like that" and so they did

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    what the fuck "pirate goat" is way too specifically aimed at me

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    it does feel very much like a song where someone handed the composer k. rool's pirate theme and said "make something like that" and so they did

I mean yeah, that's done all the time in the entertainment business. But there's a trick to echoing what makes a particular piece of music cool without immediately bringing the original to peoples' minds, and I feel like this falls short of that. Not a big deal, just making the observation.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I agree!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean k. rool's theme wasn't good until smash ultimate anyway

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

i mean k. rool's theme wasn't good until smash ultimate anyway

Desktop disagree.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    end of an era

hopefully he can rest and get some much deserved time off; i know capcom is beholden to old school salaryman work mentality and you could tell he was heading huge work loads and forces

he reignited the fgc with sf4 and even though some of the games in between were blunders and sf5 is less than stellar, his work and passion was infectious and i for one will miss him alot, especially his awesome english thank you speeches and shoryken from EVO

oh also sf6 is gonna be like another 4 years lol

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    best case scenario for SF6 is now 2022.... let that sink in....

and they're launching a new character in winter of 2021 and doing a balance patch.... so.... realistically probably not until 2023. woof

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I had to remind myself but tbf.

SFIV console - Feb '09

PS4 - Nov '13

SFV - April '16

PS5 - Nov '20

SFVI - Spring '23?

That 7 years between for both games.

I think the big difference is that with IV there were at least some other release from Capcom's fighting game department to shake things up.

SFxT didn't last long but Marvel did. It probably wouldn't be so bad if Infinite wasn't dead on arrival.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I think the special events where the people who work on the game came out and talked about the state of the game and where it's going was a pretty good first step.

It's not quite a semi-open dialogue ala Guilty Gear's developer backyard but it definitely marks a shift from how they've done things in the past. I'm actually cautiously optimistic about where Capcom goes from here.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    they still have a chance to resurrect V to be a respectable game that people want to play... they just have to keep making good decisions... which is something they only started doing... basically since the Honda patch

I've been playing V on the low... very occasionally, since the virus... the game actually functions now. Kinda crazy... I used to get as many as 1 in 2 matches where they were literally not playable... that doesn't happen anymore. The last two or three times I played SFV I cannot recall a laggy match... or even a laggy moment. I can't remember the last time I've seen a disastrously lagging match on a stream... something that used to happen daily if not hourly at the start.

So... I know the netcode still has Problems(tm) but I would argue its at least on the same playing field as the rest of the non-Netherrealm field.. most of the time its fine.

Two things they could do to ignite the game tomorrow without having to grind through making new characters (something I think doesn't help the game at all)

1) Make the base game absolutely free to play on steam. Give them the original release cast for free, let them play ranked. There's no reason not to do this. The game needs more blood. The biggest problem I have with playing right now is my average wait between matches is about 8 minutes... that is... a lot of minutes for a game where the rounds usually last 20 seconds.

2) Redo the rank/matchmaking brackets and possibly even just reset LP entirely. This hasn't been revisited in years. There's no way the shit they've left in place since Season 2 is at all optimal for good matchmaking.

and then otherwise I really think they should consider doing another pass through the cast to cut down on the unga. There's still too much stupid shit left in the cast. They prune, but they don't prune evenly.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Jasconius wrote: »
    they still have a chance to resurrect V to be a respectable game that people want to play... they just have to keep making good decisions... which is something they only started doing... basically since the Honda patch

I've been playing V on the low... very occasionally, since the virus... the game actually functions now. Kinda crazy... I used to get as many as 1 in 2 matches where they were literally not playable... that doesn't happen anymore. The last two or three times I played SFV I cannot recall a laggy match... or even a laggy moment. I can't remember the last time I've seen a disastrously lagging match on a stream... something that used to happen daily if not hourly at the start.

So... I know the netcode still has Problems(tm) but I would argue its at least on the same playing field as the rest of the non-Netherrealm field.. most of the time its fine.

Two things they could do to ignite the game tomorrow without having to grind through making new characters (something I think doesn't help the game at all)

1) Make the base game absolutely free to play on steam. Give them the original release cast for free, let them play ranked. There's no reason not to do this. The game needs more blood. The biggest problem I have with playing right now is my average wait between matches is about 8 minutes... that is... a lot of minutes for a game where the rounds usually last 20 seconds.

2) Redo the rank/matchmaking brackets and possibly even just reset LP entirely. This hasn't been revisited in years. There's no way the shit they've left in place since Season 2 is at all optimal for good matchmaking.

and then otherwise I really think they should consider doing another pass through the cast to cut down on the unga. There's still too much stupid shit left in the cast. They prune, but they don't prune evenly.

Isn't that the core SFV design, though? Or are you saying the game has become more accommodating to playstyles other than range 0 block strings?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    i actually like the buttons and the fact that if you have good meaty timing and score a good knockdown then its a bit of a maul. to me that's a bit of a positive.

what makes it feel stifling and utterly brain busting to play is the fact that at the scrub level, its just too easy to not have to play regular ass street fighter in some parts of the tier list. Urien is the case study...

vast menu of extremely good tools, most of which are either safe or better... all of these tools have counters... oh yes, that's what they'll say. but unless you know your characters exact punish to each one of them, you're fucked. You have to deal with everything, if you don't deal with it even a single time, he's +2 point blank, and SFV happens.

If he had to work for that situation instead of it being gifted to him in the frame data, I think the game would be better. This is basically snake_eyez argument on the game verbatim.

characters that have safe full screen lunges that cancel into v-trigger, and the outcome is insanely positive in every player interaction other than the hardest of reads.... that has to go.

They have done it already for some of the cast, but its like they forget others or twitter didn't tell them... Akuma whiff fireball VT was one of those... old birdie EX lunge VT... old ibuku EX kunai + cr.mk vt2... all deleted. just keep going!

Jasconius on
  • Options
  • Options
    Man, I would totally buy GB but I can't suffer though another delay based fighter.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    As my internet is crappy, I don't get to play online multiplayer. Is rollback netcode currently the best for fighting games?

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Well implemented rollback is the best that's currently available, yes, but it's not an absolute problem solver. Proper match making and a decently sized online player base are also needed.

SFV has rollback but it's missing behind-the-scenes features that games like Killer Instinct, SkullGirls, or Them's Fightin' Herds have. Parts of SFV's netcode straight up don't work right.

People didn't think GB's delay-based netcode was that bad for the first couple weeks but then the online player base dropped off and WOOF those connections in Ranked got real bad.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I heard bad things about GBVS's netcode pretty much from the start, even with East Asian connections.

Also delay is objectively inferior to rollback, in that properly implemented rollback can incorporate delay as well as rolling back any ping spikes that occur. Delay netcode regardless of implementation falls apart against ping spikes or packet loss.

HAVING SAID THAT: none of this really matters because Fig-D mentioned the real point that, assuming a proper connection, playerbase is the key. No netcode in the world can save a bad connection, at best netcode can make a mediocre connection playable. If the playerbase is there, even bad netcode is ok because you can find good connections anyway. If the playerbase isn't, you don't get matches, good or bad. Obviously great netcode can expand the pool of playable connections, obviously netcode is important if you want to play with specific people, but the fundamental issue is that there are hard geographic and infrastructural limits to the number of people who can play you. Good rollback expands that number, but if the playerbase isn't there, it doesn't help you because no netcode can save a cross-continent/cross-ocean/bad routing connection. You need people around you that are playing.

The bottom line is that netcode is not a panacea. No netcode can handle a bad connection (anything 150+ms is unplayable, whether it comes from literal speed of light limitations or just bad/slow routing), anything with wifi or just a shitty ISP leading to ping spikes/packet loss is unplayable on delay and, depending on HOW bad and the implementation, maybe also unplayable in rollback.

Fighting games are just far more sensitive to connections than literally any other genre of games. So your own connection is what matters most, followed closely by playerbase. That means unfortunately if your connection is bad you're kinda boned. Is it high ping even to servers next to you? Then unfortunately you can't play fighting games online properly. If not, is it spike/lossy? Then basically the only game you can consistently play is Mortal Kombat 11, and MAYBE KI/SFV depending on KI playerbase near you (for ping reasons) and whether or not your connection is SFV-acceptable (because SFV's implementation of rollback sucks shit).

PS: SFV acceptable is hard to define. Essentially it comes down to how consistent your connection is. The specific part that is broken about SFV is that the two peers get out of sync with each other and SFV doesn't sufficiently re-sync them. So inconsistent connections with a lot of jitter or ones that spike frequently are basically death sentences.

PPS: If you want to play fighting games anyway, SEE IF YOU HAVE LOCALS. Offline play is the best form of fighting games anyway, and the best form of learning fighting games.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ah yes

Locals

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Please do not go to locals in COVID times, especially if you live in North America

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.