As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow's going to need a gun. Lots of guns, in Sonic 3 [Sonic thread]

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Mike Pollock once again avoids being replaced

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Movie announced for April 8, 2022. Watch the "dramatic" logo reveal below.

Very strong hints about at least one new character being heavily featured.

https://youtu.be/sQuoffM1y-w

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm just hoping they name the third one Sonic 3: & Knuckles.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm just hoping this one is good

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Movie announced for April 8, 2022. Watch the "dramatic" logo reveal below.

This was shown at the tail end of the last movie. Their rendition of Tails was pretty good, I thought. Though the movie overall was mostly meh.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The first movie was pretty decent for "animated thing in live action surroundings," though admittedly the bar for that's pretty low.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Nitsua wrote: »

This was shown at the tail end of the last movie. Their rendition of Tails was pretty good, I thought. Though the movie overall was mostly meh.

Tails showed up in 1 and was likely to appear in 2, but putting him in the official logo suggests that he is at least a co-star rather than a cameo or support.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Kinda hoping the sequel dives directly into more weird Sonic stuff. Since the first movie ended with
    Robotnik going full-on Eggman, with the bald head look and everything, and Tails showing up kind of implies more easy access to dimension hopping.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »

Tails showed up in 1 and was likely to appear in 2, but putting him in the official logo suggests that he is at least a co-star rather than a cameo or support.

I thought that was what the ending really implied - there’s no way they would put tails as just a cameo - I felt it was apropos - Sonic 2 movie relates to Sonic 2 game - both feature Tails as a side kick. At least that was my reasoning.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Kinda hoping the sequel dives directly into more weird Sonic stuff. Since the first movie ended with
    Robotnik going full-on Eggman, with the bald head look and everything, and Tails showing up kind of implies more easy access to dimension hopping.

My understanding is that the plans for the first movie were originally more ambitious, but Paramount was unwilling to provide that high of a budget for a movie that they were unsure how it would perform. With how well the first one did, I'm betting more money is getting put in this one.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

My understanding is that the plans for the first movie were originally more ambitious, but Paramount was unwilling to provide that high of a budget for a movie that they were unsure how it would perform. With how well the first one did, I'm betting more money is getting put in this one.

I wouldn't be shocked if the humans sorta leave in the first hour

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I'm not confident the studio will do be willing to let them go too crazy, Sonic made a ton back on like nothing budget which they probably liked. Guess we'll see, it can't be worse than the first right?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Yeah it feels like a "well if we double the budget you better double the revenue, no we don't care that we are still making boku profit, series cancelled" kind of thing. More importantly there will be fear of diverging too much from the first movie being a surprising success implying that they don't understand why it succeeded, so it will be hard for them to leave humans and earth behind as they should.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Looking at the premise of Sonic Colors with the interplanetary amusement park, I never understood why Eggman feels he needs to overtly take over by force when he can simply own the galaxy through rampant unchecked capitalism instead.

• Options
    Looks like there's rumors of a Sonic Colors remastered coming

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Wonder if that was before or after the american v/a were recast

• Options
    Sonic Colors is much better at 60 FPS in Dolphin w/a hack, would be nice to see that officially in a remaster.

• Options
    Spoilers for knuckles and tails look for movie 2

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Mmn, that's a nicely proportioned Knux right there. Make him look like that in vidyas, please.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I wonder what the odds are on an "And Knuckles" bit in the movie.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I could see it being in the marketing, at least.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    What's that hat guy doing to Sonic?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    reVerse wrote: »
    What's that hat guy doing to Sonic?

Adjusting his ahem, "ring pouch"

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Cross-posted from the SEGA thread in Social Entropy, hope this is okay.

Something I wrote recently:

20 Years of Me, My Wife, SEGA, and Sonic the Hedgehog

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That kid getting knocked down running and then seeing rings to get back up kind of doesn't fit the tone of that video. At least for me.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got the 1996 Sonic CD to work on my computer. I also got the new version on Steam. For some reason, the new version has no vocals on the opening movie. I assume someone has fixed that.

• Options
    Licensing/royalty issues with the vocalists. The "fix" is to download an alternate version of the entire movie, kinda copyrighted so you're on your own to find that.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Are there vocals on the english version of the soundrack?

Edit: Yes. They are. Apparently, the American vocalist in the Japanese intro song passed away.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The 1996 Sonic CD only used the keyboard. At least it looks like it. That seems weird. I'll check into that some more.

• Options
    Sonic Colors was so great. I have to find where I put my disc.
    https://youtu.be/CpacfQ2b3JA

• Options
    Well, looks like Roger Craig Smith is back as Sonic after apparently retiring from the part earlier this year.

My guess was there may have been contract issues going on.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Must have been some weird, wild contract negotiations going on this year.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Official press release with pricing
    Sonic fans, get ready to Color the Universe! Today, as part of Sonic Central, SEGA unveiled Sonic Colors: Ultimate, an adrenaline-pumping upgrade on the iconic 2010 platformer, Sonic Colors. Developed by the award-winning studio, Blind Squirrel Entertainment, Sonic Colors: Ultimate brings a fresh hue to the celebrated game with stunning visuals, additional features, a new mode, and improved gameplay enhancements, providing players the ultimate Sonic experience. Sonic Colors: Ultimate is set to release both digitally and physically on September 7, 2021 starting at $39.99 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One Consoles and Nintendo Switch, with a digital-only release on PC via the Epic Games Store. For a limited time, Sonic fans can pre-order the Sonic Colors: Ultimate physical edition and get access to an exclusive baby Sonic keychain.

Standard Retail Physical Pre-Order – $39.99

Exclusive Baby Sonic Keychain

Sonic Colors: Ultimate – Digital Standard – $39.99

Sonic Movie Boost
    Harness all the power of Sonic from the hit Paramount Pictures movie and gain an exclusive electric boost and aura.

Exclusive Player Icons
    Stand out from the crowd with your own exclusive player icons.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate – Digital Deluxe – $44.99

Early Access
    Hit the ground running and experience Sonic Colors Ultimate early on Friday September 3, 2021 at 6:00 PDT // 13:00 GMT.

Exclusive Player Icons
    Stand out from the crowd with your own exclusive player icons.

Ultimate Cosmetic Pack
    Customize Sonic and stand out with exclusive gold and silver gloves and shoes, an electric boost and aura from the hit Sonic movie and exclusive Sonic movie themed player icons.

Ultimate Music Pack

Three exclusive original game remixes to set the pace for you while you put an end to Dr. Eggman.

Join Sonic in the high-speed adventure of a lifetime! The evil Dr. Eggman has built a gigantic interstellar amusement park bursting with incredible rides and colorful attractions – but he is powering it with a captured alien race called “Wisps.” Use Sonic’s lightning speed to free the Wisps and learn the secrets of their amazing powers as you explore six unique colorful worlds, each filled with dangerous enemies and hurdles to overcome. Sonic will be tested on this exciting journey to free the Wisps, whose mystical powers can be harnessed to grant special abilities – and with their help, and yours, it is a test he’ll pass with flying Colors! Now with stunning upscaled visuals, additional features, a new game mode, and enhanced gameplay – it is the Ultimate Sonic Colors experience.

Features:

Sonic Speed and Non-Stop Action –

Accelerate to adrenaline-pumping super speed, zoom across challenging worlds, and maneuver through hazardous obstacles. Time your attacks perfectly to charge your boost and reach Super Sonic speeds.

Interstellar Amusement Park –

Explore and adventure through immersive environments, like a Sweet Mountain filled with delightful sweets or an Aquarium Park filled with sea life and countless pools – all centered around a mysterious astro-amusement park.

Wisp Power-ups –

Transform Sonic by harnessing the magnificent alien power of Wisps to defeat enemies and discover the secrets of the interstellar amusement park. Pass through solid objects and discover alternate paths using the new Jade Ghost Wisp.

Better Than Ever –

Available on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch and now more colorful than ever with enhanced visuals and graphics, refined controls, and many more gameplay upgrades. The game is also playable on PlayStation 5 via backwards compatibility and Xbox Series X|S.

‘Rival Rush’ Mode –

Put your skills to the test and go head-to-head with Metal Sonic. Outrun Metal Sonic to unlock rewards!

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Sonic Origins coming.... sometime 2022, a collection of 1/2/3+K/CD. Widescreen shots are shown for all of them except 3&K, so probably using Whitehead versions. Hopefully they get him to finish up 3 in the meantime instead of resorting to emulation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZuSIeJBvwU

• Options
    Sonic Origins coming.... sometime 2022, a collection of 1/2/3+K/CD. Widescreen shots are shown for all of them except 3&K, so probably using Whitehead versions. Hopefully they get him to finish up 3 in the meantime instead of resorting to emulation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZuSIeJBvwU

Why yes, I will rebuy all these games again. Just so nice to FINALLY have Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles on a modern console.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I honestly wish they'd sweeten the pot a little with some other random Sonic games, it's a shame old school collections from the GameCube era had more games on them

• Options
    Sonic... Zap, I guess that's what that weird logo said? 2022, we know absolutely nothing about it other than the Sonic in the trailer may possibly have been Classic.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Just looked it up, the PS2 version of Sonic Mega Collection had 20 games (GCN version had 14), some of which weren't even Sonic just Sega titles, including the Game Gear games

It's really hard to get excited for this recent collection especially when I own most of the games already in some form or another

Local H Jay on