As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow's going to need a gun. Lots of guns, in Sonic 3 [Sonic thread]

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Beat Frontiers, that final boss was really surprisingly tough (on Hard mode)
    thought it was a bit of a bummer that Sonic doesn't respond to it's shit talk at all: when it said "you have fought machines and gods, all were mighty, all were finite. I am infinite."

Seemed like a prime opportunity for a snarky "well, actually!" from Sonic.
    "I fought Infinite. He was kind of a loser."

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/cfbVUOyVeY0

Yep, leaning hard into the multiverse stuff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's funny to me they've made Rogue (Rouge?) a main part of the sonic cast but have to make her less sexy with each new outfit

• Options
    Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic, just got arrested for insider trading.

Apparently it centers on a new Dragon Quest mobile game - folks inside Squeenix got wind of it before the announcement, and bought a ton of stock in the company that was making it.

So yet another thing you can blame on Balan Wonderworld.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I'm going to just pretend that he was in general arrested for creating Balan Wonderworld because that game was and still is a crime against me specifically. I bought it twice for gods sake.

Sonic Prime looks surprisingly watchable and i'm genuinely excited for it.

Zunde on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic, just got arrested for insider trading.

Apparently it centers on a new Dragon Quest mobile game - folks inside Squeenix got wind of it before the announcement, and bought a ton of stock in the company that was making it.

So yet another thing you can blame on Balan Wonderworld.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I'm going to just pretend that he was in general arrested for creating Balan Wonderworld because that game was and still is a crime against me specifically. I bought it twice for gods sake.

I am sincerely, intensely curious how this could be blamed on anyone else, Naka or Square Enix or otherwise.

Like, I'm not even saying this as some sort of angry fanboy or whatever. I feel like there's a story here, and I would love to know what it is.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Frontiers got me nostalgic so I reinstalled Sonic Adventure DX... but this time modded it back to the Dreamcast graphics. Y'all, this looks so much better. I'm bummed they redesigned Sonic for SA2, they were into a winner with this chubby little guy

13kuf6otcsx3.jpeg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sonic Frontiers is getting free content updates next year

u0nukin8egpj.jpeg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Wicked! I was hoping that Knuckles and the others might be unlockables, but this is nearly as good!

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If it's emerald hunt over an entire island....

• Options
    Hm, I wonder if the DLC was always meant to be free? Sega dropped the price of this game in about a week, so there might be a coordinated effort behind the scenes to remove price barriers and get this game in people's hands.

Which might work! Guardians of the Galaxy quietly reached "8 million players" recently after massive price drops and additions to subscription services and such. Then again GotG's problems were mostly external, with unflattering comparisons to Avengers and such, and the game itself was largely praised. Sonic Frontiers' quality... is up for debate.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    That's not a lot of detail, but the first two updates sound like regular post-game stuff, I doubt they'd expect they could sell those as DLC without a very predictable backlash. The third one sounds a little more substantial, but that's going to be like a year away, it's not going to change anyones outlook on the game.

I think Frontiers mostly had the predictably bad luck/judgement of coming out in a very crowded time against a lot of competition.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    First night impressions !

Combat is basic but, so far, not actually super prominent so just as expected. There's plenty of enemies but you don't need to be doing anything unless you want to.

The starting choice for "speed mode" or "action mode" was completely absurd given it gave you very little idea what they do and later you just have slide-y bars but no idea what setting the other would be.

Music, running around, the regular stages and general sonic shit and rails all over are great.

The big dudes that you have to run up? OK those are bad. I'm not sure what happened there but nothing seems to work how its supposed to with those. Feels like I'm fighting the controls and camera in a way I'm not anywhere else. Hell with the feet after they lift up the camera literally cannot angle up in a way that allows you to target the bottom without moving around. Thats just some bizarrely bad design there.

So for the most part having fun! Not gonna be trying to do everything in this game though. Just gonna do whats fun as I stumble upon it while following the main story path.

• Options
    Yuji Naka got arrested again, this time for insider trading for a mobile Final Fantasy game.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Started playing Frontiers over the weekend, and while it's got a degree of Boost Sonic jank, it's definitely the most fun I've had playing a 3D Sonic in some time.

It feels weird to feel like I already have an idea of the shape over the overall plot after the first island, based purely on knowing the lore they've established since Sonic Adventure.

One thing, though: I completely picked the first island clean, and that's... absolutely not how you should do it. Imagine if Breath of the Wild put icons showing the location of every Korok on the map from the start, and that's about where Frontiers is with its Memory Tokens (the collectables that you turn in to make story beats happen). There are many dozen, if not over a hundred of them demarcated on the map on each island, and you need a very small fraction of them plus some that appear as random drops in order to get what the game calls 100% completion for an island.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Yuji Naka got arrested again, this time for insider trading for a mobile Final Fantasy game.

• Options
    My conspiracy-addled mind can't help but think Squeenix is forwarding the cops detailed tips/evidence as retribution for his lawsuit.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Bit annoyed that it looks like you have to run a whole gauntlet of challenges to get to the titans, I would really like that Wyvern fight on-demand.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    For anyone interested, Sonic Origins Plus

a1x2oz57lkdf.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoyoWlOJILc

12 Game Gear Games Emulated and Playable in the Museum

Classic Amy as a Playable Character in Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, and Sonic CD

Knuckles as a Playable Character in Sonic CD

Available as a full game or dlc for the original

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    That's awesome!

Some of that really should've been there at the start (e.g. playable Amy), but the Game Gear games are a much appreciated addition.

They probably could've thrown in Spinball and 3D Blast to round out the Genesis side of things, too.

• Options
    Guess the wait for Chaotix continues...

Unless the Mania team just rebuilt it completely, though, it'd be better as a bonus addition in a collection than... whatever else they might do with it. The visuals, the music, the characters... there's just enough there for me to be interested in, but having played it and with the grind and all, I don't know that I'd be that interested in it as a standalone type of deal, y'know?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    So now that Sonic Frontiers has been out for a while, probably had a few patches by now, how are people feeling about it?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Tried it. It's um, actually a good visual novel?! I really thought it was an April fools gimmick, but no, they've really taken the bit and ran with it.
    249CBB40BAEDAA263E53CC17A997310D5E92C021

657E973681F59E49D393289B0AC59A5CC96B9EFF

My little ~5yo nephew tried to correct me on Tail's full name the other day. (He's really into the 'Sonic Prime' Netflix show and the two live action movies.)
    'Lil dude, I was reading 'Sonic The Comic' twenty years before you even travelled along a fallopian tube. (Turns to dust...) :lol:

I got him a sonic plushie for xmas and now it's his favourite plush toy. I'll have him making Sonic fanfics and OC's (OC! Do not steal!) before he's seven at this rate... :lol:

• Options
    Production's officially started on the Stupid Sexy Knuckles TV show. Yes, Idris Elba is still voicing him.

More Sonic Lego sets incoming, with a cool gimmick and a fun video with a promise for more.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I didn’t keep up with this, did Sonic come back to life on Easter?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Gotta give the engineers behind Lego credit. That is a hell of a way to replicate Sonic spindashing through loops and stuff.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Production's officially started on the Stupid Sexy Knuckles TV show. Yes, Idris Elba is still voicing him.

I want that hat.

• Options

I want that hat.

Wait isn't that.... OVA Knuckles?
    EgwswKXXYAA8KSn?format=jpg&name=small

Did he ever wear that in the movie?

• Options
    Not that I recall, but he has it in a few other places:

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I played The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog, and my goodness it was so fun. The writing was funny, the characters were great to talk to, and the story went places. It was a great little ride, and worth much more than free.

Also, Shadow eats coffee beans; that's canon now.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    The PC fan game Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit is now on Android and Mac along with its final update.

The android version supports both touch and external controls, and its been running great for me on a modded Switch so, should scale to fairly low-end devices.

This is the first time I'm trying this game now that its convenient on android, and I'm just completely blown away. This is the closest any fan game has felt to the official classics in terms of design and polish, it basically takes the game gear original and brings it up to match the level of Sonic 3/K/Mania, with completely new design, gimmicks, enemies, bosses, that all just feel seamlessly integrated. Special Stages you can spend lives to get retries, so it gives more of a reason to build up those rings and hunt down extra lives when you are new to the game, and the balance is working great so far. The music is also an object lesson to the Sonic 4 composer, how you make something new that sounds amazing while still having a Genesis feel.

Short trailer follows if you haven't already downloaded this for some reason. Any 3K/Mania lover needs to give this a go for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6U6Qp3jRHg

• Options
    Is there anything significant of note added/changed from when it first came out? That's when I played it.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    ah man, I remember triple trouble. I was too smooth-brained to finish the last emerald stage as a kid, very frustrating. Also, Tails got a submarine to make the water level bearable, so Sonic never got played in my house.