As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Carnage - 31 Killed Between Mass Shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I have concerns about the data

One, the report itself is 5 years old and the shooting data is 9 years old, with the data stopping in 2010. Is this accurate?

Two, they exclude shootings where a family member is the victim. In other words, the Dayton shooting would be excluded. This blows my mind because domestic abuse is a huge red flag and seems to be one of the few common defining characteristics of mass shooters, which is also a newer discovery that the 5 year old report doesnt even mention.

Three, the subset of 84 shootings in 10 years doesnt even touch the amount of mass shootings (defined by their terms) we've had this year so far. It feels like a statistical blip in comparison to what our tragic turn has a nation has ground out into data since 2010.

The data is likely as accurate as it can be without another similar study being performed. I haven’t looked if ALERRT has any more current data published.

They did not exclude shootings where a family member is victim, but at least one victim had to be unrelated to the shooter. The Dayton shooting would certainly be included

How many mass shootings have we had this year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2019

Ahem, I'm sorry.

TWO HUNDRED AND FUCKING FORTY EIGHT.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Today is only day number 235 in 2019. As if that number needed context to be more depressing.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

One, the report itself is 5 years old and the shooting data is 9 years old, with the data stopping in 2010. Is this accurate?

Two, they exclude shootings where a family member is the victim. In other words, the Dayton shooting would be excluded. This blows my mind because domestic abuse is a huge red flag and seems to be one of the few common defining characteristics of mass shooters, which is also a newer discovery that the 5 year old report doesnt even mention.

Three, the subset of 84 shootings in 10 years doesnt even touch the amount of mass shootings (defined by their terms) we've had this year so far. It feels like a statistical blip in comparison to what our tragic turn has a nation has ground out into data since 2010.

The data is likely as accurate as it can be without another similar study being performed. I haven’t looked if ALERRT has any more current data published.

They did not exclude shootings where a family member is victim, but at least one victim had to be unrelated to the shooter. The Dayton shooting would certainly be included

58 where at least 2 or more people were killed, over 200 with more than 2 injured. I can't speak to the gang shootings.

This information would probably be a lot easier to eek out if it wasn't illegal for the government to study it.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2019

Ahem, I'm sorry.

Ahem, I'm sorry.

Cool capital letters

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options

58 where at least 2 or more people were killed, over 200 with more than 2 injured. I can't speak to the gang shootings.

This information would probably be a lot easier to eek out if it wasn't illegal for the government to study it.

I’m reading through the wiki list now. Looks like an awful lot of shitty gang involvement. Especially in Chicago.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Don’t bother

There’s nothing that will get through to that guy

He thinks bazookas and tanks should be available for civilian use

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I’m reading through the wiki list now. Looks like an awful lot of shitty gang involvement. Especially in Chicago.

Oi

I think that well-debunked horse is quite dead can we have another not so dead horse?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    So mass shootings don't count if they happen to black people, now?

• Options

Oi

I think that well-debunked horse is quite dead can we have another not so dead horse?

Oh, sure, should we talk about the illegally obtained and served warrant in Houston being counted as a mass shooting on January 28th?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecan_Park_raid

What it was 4 cops shot each other and murdered two home owners like fucking idiots.

Let’s count this one, too, January 19th, 2019 where a homeowner defended his property from 5 individuals, killing 3 and wounding 2 more. Also in Houston, TX.

SORRY I DONT ATTRIBUTE ALL OF THESE AS MASS SHOOTINGS OR THEY PAINT CRIMINALS AS VICTIMS (Police in Pecan Park incident, essentially a modern day Ruby Ridge but with less Janet Reno) OR A VALID DEFENSIVE GUN USE THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN REAL WORLD

@So It Goes see I can capslock it too

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Dead Legend was warned for this.

Who said they were black? Fuck that is awful to say

Edit:

I hope y’all realize that I am not diminishing anybody’s losses due to violence, and I am most definitely acting like an obnoxious asshole

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Don’t bother

I think bazookas and tanks with working guns should be legal to purchase without a tax stamp. Right now they are NFA items (at least the gun on the tank is, a tank with a deactivated gun is entirely legal without a tax stamp) and legal.

• Options

Lol it is always the same upper middle class white people throwing this out. I grew up in the type of neighborhoods where gang violence exists. I have even posted about it in past threads and how violence is experienced in those neighborhoods anecdotally. You can save the "you don't care about black people" for someone else.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Don’t bother

I think bazookas and tanks with working guns should be legal to purchase without a tax stamp. Right now they are NFA items (at least the gun on the tank is, a tank with a deactivated gun is entirely legal without a tax stamp) and legal.

Yeah that’s fucking insane

The people who wrote the 2nd amendment never intended to put this kind of weaponry in the hands of civilians.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Don’t bother

Yeah that’s fucking insane

The people who wrote the 2nd amendment never intended to put this kind of weaponry in the hands of civilians.

Except all those privately owned gunships with guns on them which existed then.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Dime a fucking dozen, they were.

Couldn't very well show up to church social if you didn't have a gunship like all your neighbors

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    NSDFRand was warned for this.

Couldn't very well show up to church social if you didn't have a gunship like all your neighbors

Good luck farming the agrees with this tripe lol.

ceres on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am most definitely acting like an obnoxious asshole

Why?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Says the tank guy

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Oi

Oh, sure, should we talk about the illegally obtained and served warrant in Houston being counted as a mass shooting on January 28th?

What it was 4 cops shot each other and murdered two home owners like fucking idiots.

Let’s count this one, too, January 19th, 2019 where a homeowner defended his property from 5 individuals, killing 3 and wounding 2 more. Also in Houston, TX.

SORRY I DONT ATTRIBUTE ALL OF THESE AS MASS SHOOTINGS OR THEY PAINT CRIMINALS AS VICTIMS (Police in Pecan Park incident, essentially a modern day Ruby Ridge but with less Janet Reno) OR A VALID DEFENSIVE GUN USE THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN REAL WORLD

"So It Goes" see I can capslock it too

I mean, do you have a reason why they shouldn't be counted?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Lol it is always the same upper middle class white people throwing this out. I grew up in the type of neighborhoods where gang violence exists. I have even posted about it in past threads and how violence is experienced in those neighborhoods anecdotally. You can save the "you don't care about black people" for someone else.

He did, he saved it for dead legend, who said that mass shootings in Chicago (which having reviewed the list did indeed kill and injure overwhelmingly black people) should not be considered in the same light as other shootings because they were ‘gang activity’.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

Every post you make disgusts me. :)

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

There was also one in Allendale, South Carolina

• Options

Every post you make disgusts me. :)

Good. My hope is to disgust people with authoritarian policy preferences.

• Options
    Fucking seriously, I never once felt that any of our pro-second amendment posters -that have had a shelf life of more then a few months- were ever stupid on like a fundamental level.

Deluded, maybe
    Values out of whack? Undoubtedly.

But like, I've agreed with posts of yours before on other subjects, verbatim.

And now I'm starting to think I must be an asshole too.

• Options
    Trying to mince over what is and isn’t considered a ‘mass shooting’ seems weird, since whatever criteria is used, it’s used everywhere.

It’s not like the US is having it’s numbers inflated by defining ‘mass shooting’ to have a broader application than other countries to make it seem worse by comparison. It’s the same standard being applied everywhere.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Trying to mince over what is and isn’t considered a ‘mass shooting’ seems weird, since whatever criteria is used, it’s used everywhere.

It’s not like the US is having it’s numbers inflated by defining ‘mass shooting’ to have a broader application than other countries to make it seem worse by comparison. It’s the same standard being applied everywhere.

It actually is not the same standard, even in the US.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    Fucking seriously, I never once felt that any of our pro-second amendment posters -that have had a shelf life of more then a few months- were ever stupid on like a fundamental level.

Deluded, maybe

At least have the balls to quote me and just outright state you think I am an asshole imstead of being passive about it.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Oi

You could make an argument that the state perpetrated the mass shooting against the homeowners and themselves, in a classic 3 Stooges miscue.

The individual who defended his home from a group of 5 people invading his home shouldn’t count, since he was most definitely in the right.

@tbloxham I was just continuing to go off of ALERRT’s definition seeing as that doesn’t blow it out of proportion, seeing as the most concerning element seems to be Active Shooter Events at Business or School. I’m not going to pretend that people don’t get caught up in wrong place wrong time but you

@Forar guess I’m just too immature to let my participation go without being a dickhead, I suppose. I felt like I was involved with a discussion on relatively good terms until the information I brought to the thread in the last 10 hours was either dismissed outright, overlooked (could be accidental), or accused me of mischaracterizing it. I realize I’m not going to change minds here. At most maybe offer a different perspective.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Ahem, I'm sorry.

Ahem, I'm sorry.

Cool capital letters

It's an obscene number. It's unique to our country and our inability to enact sensible gun control laws. It terrifies me. Scrolling through that list made me tear up. Children, adults, at school, in your home, at a club, in a gym, in an office, on the street, at a store, at a fair, at your place of worship - gun violence has penetrated every aspect of our daily lives. More cops or better trained cops is not the answer when almost anyone can buy an AR-15 from fucking WalMart.

So yeah, I used some capslock to emphasize that it is absolutely insane what the number is that you asked for.

I see that you followed this non-post up with some racist dreck about gang shootings. I'll be stepping back out of the thread now, but surely you see the idiocy of a position that "certain victims who I think deserved it" shouldn't be statistically relevant when we talk about the prevalence of gun violence in America. Our country is sick with gun culture and gun access, and attitudes like yours are why we can't seem to treat this disease in any meaningful way.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think this page pretty clearly demonstrates the absurdity of the American gun debate. People framing themselves as 'responsible gun owners' while advocating for the ability to purchase literal tanks.

It would be hilarious if the zealotry didn't kill so many people.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Mass shootings perpetrated by the state should absolutely count because the sheer number of guns and the attitude towards them in the US played an important and direct role in those people being shot.

If law enforcement justifies shooting citizens first and asking questions later by citing a fear that anyone could be armed at any moment, that is actually an incredibly strong endorsement for reducing or removing firearm availability. For the state as well.

And as for the number itself: it could be half of what it is and still be insane. A quarter. An eighth. The number isn’t the important part, and you can tell because that’s the only part detractors ever focus on. It’s the fact that amongst the countries the US tends to identify with and consider peers, none of them have this issue.

Javen on
  • Options
    Mass shootings perpetrated by the state should absolutely count because the sheer number of guns and the attitude towards them in the US played an important and direct role in those people being shot.

If law enforcement justifies shooting citizens first and asking questions later by citing a fear that anyone could be armed at any moment, that is actually an incredibly strong endorsement for reducing or removing firearm availability. For the state as well.

So the state murdering people and then citing they are murdering people because the state is afraid people are armed, is a good argument for the state to disarm people.

That is an absolute nuclear take.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Oi

You could make an argument that the state perpetrated the mass shooting against the homeowners and themselves, in a classic 3 Stooges miscue.

The individual who defended his home from a group of 5 people invading his home shouldn’t count, since he was most definitely in the right.

tbloxham I was just continuing to go off of ALERRT’s definition seeing as that doesn’t blow it out of proportion, seeing as the most concerning element seems to be Active Shooter Events at Business or School. I’m not going to pretend that people don’t get caught up in wrong place wrong time but you

Forar guess I’m just too immature to let my participation go without being a dickhead, I suppose. I felt like I was involved with a discussion on relatively good terms until the information I brought to the thread in the last 10 hours was either dismissed outright, overlooked (could be accidental), or accused me of mischaracterizing it. I realize I’m not going to change minds here. At most maybe offer a different perspective.

I'm calling the data into question because it's old and I'm unsure of its scientific validity, in part due to age. This is what should be done with data from any source.

I'm under no obligation to accept it as is, but I also dont feel like asking those questions necessitated the whole butwhataboutism of Chicago which is an overdone and overwrought talking point scratching post that has been scratched thin and it can barely stand on its own.

Chicago isn't even in the top 10 when it comes to gun deaths per capita, the only stat that really matters, so bringing it back feels like some sort of partisan hack cheap shot and serves overtime as a red herring. "But what about your big liberal city?" is a go-nowhere argument used to just shut shit down.

• Options
    edited August 2019

So the state murdering people and then citing they are murdering people because the state is afraid people are armed, is a good argument for the state to disarm people.

That is an absolute nuclear take.

Well, the state should be disarmed first, but yes.

The problem with your approach is that you actually want the arms race to increase. I want it to go in the opposite direction, and for the police to have LESS access to guns, not more, to be in line with the rest of the developed world.

Javen on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There is value in categorizing the different kinds of mass shootings when examining additional factors to target, but at the end of the day "multiple deaths enabled by a projectile weapon" is enough.

• Options

Ahem, I'm sorry.

Ahem, I'm sorry.

Cool capital letters

It's an obscene number. It's unique to our country and our inability to enact sensible gun control laws. It terrifies me. Scrolling through that list made me tear up. Children, adults, at school, in your home, at a club, in a gym, in an office, on the street, at a store, at a fair, at your place of worship - gun violence has penetrated every aspect of our daily lives. More cops or better trained cops is not the answer when almost anyone can buy an AR-15 from fucking WalMart.

So yeah, I used some capslock to emphasize that it is absolutely insane what the number is that you asked for.

I see that you followed this non-post up with some racist dreck about gang shootings. I'll be stepping back out of the thread now, but surely you see the idiocy of a position that "certain victims who I think deserved it" shouldn't be statistically relevant when we talk about the prevalence of gun violence in America. Our country is sick with gun culture and gun access, and attitudes like yours are why we can't seem to treat this disease in any meaningful way.

I don’t think anybody deserves to suffer violence. Unfortunately I recognize that humans are incredibly violent and some will inflict that on others.

I can look at the MO of the shootings, many of which are drive-bys as reported on Wikipedia, and presume that is typical gang bullshit. Nowhere did I mention race.

I can also figure that there are many innocent victims that are not involved with gang activity that suffer due to the nature of drive-bys or the uncoordinated hits attempted by the criminals. That is terrible.

Anyway, don’t try to paint me as some fucking boogeyman klansman because I think there is a difference between systemic violence in a city that seems to have a lot of incidents (also strict gun control but we all know it’s all Indiana’s fault) and some cocksucker shooting up an El Paso Walmart due to some racist beliefs.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    RedTide was warned for this.

Deluded, maybe

At least have the balls to quote me and just outright state you think I am an asshole imstead of being passive about it.

I did, said something, hit post, felt I had more to say and said it.

Don't pull your fake macho shit on me, you scared child.

ceres on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Deluded, maybe

I have to call you a goose instead, but I'm sure you understand the intent.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Ahem, I'm sorry.

Ahem, I'm sorry.

Cool capital letters

I don’t think anybody deserves to suffer violence. Unfortunately I recognize that humans are incredibly violent and some will inflict that on others.

I can look at the MO of the shootings, many of which are drive-bys as reported on Wikipedia, and presume that is typical gang bullshit. Nowhere did I mention race.

I can also figure that there are many innocent victims that are not involved with gang activity that suffer due to the nature of drive-bys or the uncoordinated hits attempted by the criminals. That is terrible.

Anyway, don’t try to paint me as some fucking boogeyman klansman because I think there is a difference between systemic violence in a city that seems to have a lot of incidents (also strict gun control but we all know it’s all Indiana’s fault) and some cocksucker shooting up an El Paso Walmart due to some racist beliefs.

And yet there’s one extremely important common element to them.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    The commonality is cheap and easy access to guns by both criminals and future criminals who wish to perpetrate gun violence.

I dont think anyone is trying to argue every mass shooter has the same motivation.

This discussion has been closed.