Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Starsector is an open-world single-player space-combat hyphenated-description game

124»

• swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    So of course, after I complain about shitty planets, I find a system with a jungle and two desert worlds. I start a colony on the jungle world, and guess what I find in the system next door? A terran and (I think, forgot) tundra world! I probably should have waited abit more before colonizing, but I got too excited. I at least got farming, ground defenses, and patrol HQ queued up. Now back to exploration. Now I just need to remember a previous system I visited that had a crapton of domain stuff sitting around. If I can remember it, I'll bring along a colossus and loot everything.

Sir Carcass
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Is the Commerce industry useful as anything other than +1 stability and a remote market? It seems otherwise not great since the tariffs don't seem to go to me, and I'm a quick hop from the core where I can use the black market.

No but it will be in the next big release.

wbBv3fj.png
    Basil
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Ended up with an Accidental Nice Build on my shiny new Nemean Lion Battle Fortress.

Gauss Cannon: does a nice chunk of hard flux damage on shields.
    Tachyon Lance: Beam weapon that does EMP damage with a chance to arc through shields and disable systems, higher chance with higher hard flux.
    Hephaestus Assault Gun: wait for the other two to bring down shields/systems, then pound some armor.

The rest of the loadout is pretty much just anti-fighters/missiles.

Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Actually, why ARE we capped at 4 colonies? That seems like a very arbitrary limit. Do the other factions never expand? I thought if I sold them survey data it would cause them to potentially colonize the planet tied to the data. If the NPC factions can constantly expand, then how is a player with only 4 colonies supposed to compete?

Also, how do you put out bounties on fleets/characters/bases/etc? There's a pirate base 4 lightyears from the planet I colonized and they will not stop raiding and harassing my colony, costing me money on it and I don't have anywhere near the firepower to take their base out. Why can't I pay one of the merc fleets I see floating around to do it?

You are not capped at 4 colonies. You can have up to 6(?) before you start getting penalties. An unlimited number if youre willing to take the stability hit and alpha AI managed colonies do not count towards the penalty threshold.

Other factions do not expand due to sector stability issues. The Nexelerin mod may have that as a feature but i doubt it

You cannot put out bounties (it may be coming in the future but has not been announced as a feature). You have to clear those yourself.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 16
    Ahhhh ok, that's pretty neato. I saw the colony management skill perk and I thought that the number of colonies you could have at all was capped to 4.

Syzygy on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited August 16
    A streamer I watch recently discovered that selling Onslaught plans on the black market has consequences.

This game has so many great little features.

Strikor on
    I was killing Thresher Maws on foot before I knew it was a Krogan rite of passage.
    Sir CarcassElvenshaeCorsini
    Strikor wrote: »
    A streamer I watch recently discovered that selling Onslaught plans on the black market has consequences.

This game has so many great little features.

Consequences like free onslaught hulls!

wbBv3fj.png
    StrikorMoridin889
    Just now noticed autocorrect changed "colony" to "Coliny".

What the absolute shit is going on any more?

Also, I installed an Alpha level AI as my colony leader and now the Hegemony or whatever they're called keep sending UN inspectors that I have to constantly pay bribes to.

If I annihilate their entire faction will that stop the constant harassment? I just want to make money here.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 16
    So, this seems like my jam, but I am wondering how finished it is. The website calls it an alpha.

Is this a finished game that’s in a state of near permanent development like Kerbel or just a really promising alpha?

Phillishere on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    It's been in development since like 2011, and is a very full game. They added colony management recently which is well fleshed out and adds a cool end game goal -- it's definitely worth the price now, and is close to release for whatever that's worth given the development timeline.

Steam:Fiatil
    PhillishereSir CarcassMoridin889
    Alpha status is very misleading. It's very stable and packed with features and content. Definitely worth a buy.
    Syzygy wrote: »
    Also, I installed an Alpha level AI as my colony leader and now the Hegemony or whatever they're called keep sending UN inspectors that I have to constantly pay bribes to.

Huh, I didn't know you could install them as leaders. I've just been putting them on building management.

I was killing Thresher Maws on foot before I knew it was a Krogan rite of passage.
    Syzygy wrote: »
    Just now noticed autocorrect changed "colony" to "Coliny".

What the absolute shit is going on any more?

If I annihilate their entire faction will that stop the constant harassment? I just want to make money here.

Yes. If you are hostile with them your forces will also automatically kill their inspectors whenever they come too.

wbBv3fj.png
    Moridin889
    Seems like they'd just stop sending their inspectors after awhile if they keep not coming back.

Well *someone* needs to inspect what happened to the last inspectors.