Options

Starsector is an open-world single-player space-combat hyphenated-description game

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I don't know which mod faction this actually is, but now my goal is to get that capital ship that has guns that shoot out eight pink beams scattered around the target that then converge and go to full strength and BZZZZT.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I got lucky and salvaged a Pristine Nanoforge - did someone say I can sell this for 3x to Tri-Tachyon? Or should I just sell it for the fortune that is is already to the Hegemony?

I was talking about AI cores in that instance! That one you can just sell on the black market for cashhhh. They're also super useful once you get heavy industry on one of your colonies, but they're not so rare you have to hold onto it unless you're close to having heavy industry already.

The description was so impressive I've been hanging on to mine just in case. I now have two pristine nanoforges and a couple of corrupted.

I wonder how much making this game multiplayer would ruin it. Maybe if it was co-op only.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I wonder how much making this game multiplayer would ruin it. Maybe if it was co-op only.

I'm actually surprised by how good the AI is. At the start I frequently set my ship to autopilot (U) because I kept being way too greedy and then the enemy all ganged up on me.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I got lucky and salvaged a Pristine Nanoforge - did someone say I can sell this for 3x to Tri-Tachyon? Or should I just sell it for the fortune that is is already to the Hegemony?

I was talking about AI cores in that instance! That one you can just sell on the black market for cashhhh. They're also super useful once you get heavy industry on one of your colonies, but they're not so rare you have to hold onto it unless you're close to having heavy industry already.

The description was so impressive I've been hanging on to mine just in case. I now have two pristine nanoforges and a couple of corrupted.

Yeah, they're basically needed if you want to make non-broken ships with your heavy industry. They reduce the chance of defects on production and speed up production.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Echo wrote: »

I'm actually surprised by how good the AI is. At the start I frequently set my ship to autopilot (U) because I kept being way too greedy and then the enemy all ganged up on me.

I'm flying around in a Legion and made my captain carrier heavy. It's kind of dull though and I have a bad habit of using Burn to get myself into bad situations. Wish I could respec my captain.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What mods are y'all playing with? Anything particularly juicy over the vanilla game?

I've added a bunch of new factions that had shiny-looking ships, I'll link them when I get home.

Also is there no plain sandbox mode to test-drive ships?

"Missions" has sandbox construction in some ways (there is a random mission you can pull until you get what you want). Many/Most faction mods include missions that have all their ships in them by default. You can fit any hull mod/weapon in missions to an unlimited amount and either play the specific mission or simulate in order to figure out what a ship does.

When simulating you can add reinforcements from a set of basic ships as enemies and from any of your own ships in your fleet(including those in the mission) in order to test loadouts and compositions.

No. You can sell it for a fortune on the black market. You can keep it for yourself to make your faction fleets awesome or you can sell it at a discount to a normal market in a location that has heavy industry in order to:

A) Get the luddic path interested in that faction (Currently bugged. LP cannot successfully complete terrorist actions at the moment)

B) make the ships of that faction better in quality.

This happens because faction fleet quality is dependent on their production quality and production quality is dependent on their actual faction infrastructure (LP excluded). So if you raid and take a factions nanoforge they will lose ship quality(assuming you took it from their best quality production facility). And if you sell a nanoforge to a planet that has heavy industry via the normal market they will install that and upgrade their faction.

hrrmmm, I think selling some Hegemony blueprints on the black market gave them to pirates. Maybe I was in a pirate base when I did that not sure. Regardless they've now got Onslaughts.

Any blueprints you sell to any black market will eventually find their way to the pirates, who will incorporate that into their fleets.

No other faction currently does this as other factions have more defined fleet doctrines.

It would not work mainly for mechanical reasons. Everything pauses the game. There are tonnes of hard interrupts in the game. Etc etc.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Respecs? There's a mod for that!

Its Console Commands, again. Found on the right side of the Glorious Updated Mod List under Utility.

Buttons being ctrl backspace, command respec.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options

I'm flying around in a Legion and made my captain carrier heavy. It's kind of dull though and I have a bad habit of using Burn to get myself into bad situations. Wish I could respec my captain.

Yeah, the Legion appears to be a death trap and its logistics requirements are beefy. I've started putting it on autopilot and it's still the first to get creamed at the start of the fights. I have it loaded out with high tech torpedo bombers, a fighter wing, a piranha bomber wing, some other fighter, gauss cannons, and LRMs

Thanks for the respec mod link. I think I'll do that so I can fly around in something a bit more engaging. 40 CP for a carrier that has a propensity to get blown up is steep.

• Options
    I think I love the Legion more in theory than in practice. If you're giving me a big tanky fatty, I think I want to go all in and make it a floating weapons platform too. Carriers seem to be pretty good at staying out of the thick of it and not dying, which sort of makes the Legion overall worse at staying alive because it stays in the thick of it and tanks. That's great for smaller targets, but with bigger stuff it's ultmately going to get roasted. It ultimately seems like you're better off with the speedier less supply intensive carriers, and some bigass battlecruisers instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Just saw this: https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/curjh8/psa_modded_starsector_needs_manual_ram_adjustment/

The game apparently only allocates 1.5GB of RAM by default, so if you run a mod-heavy setup, you might want to increase that. I haven't had any crashes or other problems yet, but it's probably worth doing just in case.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I wonder why they fix the heap size. Seems like a weird decision to make (coming from a position of total ignorance)

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Oh man, yeah. Its been so long that I forgot, but it used to be that Starsector would very easily choke to death if you fed it too much. Nowadays it is much more robust, but you can still kill it in short order if you really insist on having it load a few thousand ships and then refit them for a while.

The warning sign is when saving starts taking forever and the fleet/refit screens stutter. At that point, you should probably restart the game, because the next save may not go through at all.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Heh yeah, it seems like the same deal as with Minecraft -- they're both Java, and proooobably don't expect you to have 150 mods. But little do they know!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    It's probably a stability/control thing from years past. 1.5gb was a good maximum to aim for in 2013 or whenever work originally started on it and it was common for systems to only have 4 total.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    It's probably a stability/control thing from years past. 1.5gb was a good maximum to aim for in 2013 or whenever work originally started on it and it was common for systems to only have 4 total.

2013 with only 4 gigs of memory? Man, people run light. My rig from 2011 had 16 gigs :P

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »

2013 with only 4 gigs of memory? Man, people run light. My rig from 2011 had 16 gigs :P

Not quite. It was/is an operating system issue. 32 bit operating systems can not allocate more than 1.5gb of memory to a single executable. In a final version the game should check the operating system and then allocate memory. But at its current state its just designed for the hardware it was built on. Game started production in 2010 iirc.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I wonder why they fix the heap size. Seems like a weird decision to make (coming from a position of total ignorance)

That's just how the Java Virtual Machine works in general. When you start a Java program you indicate the minimum amount of space that should be allocated for the heap (the -Xms flag) and the maximum amount of space that should be allocated (the -Xmx flag). The minimum number gets allocated immediately for use by the Java Virtual Machine that the program runs inside of, even if your program doesn't use all of it right off the bat, and then it will use up to the maximum as needed, running the JVM's garbage collector when needed to free up space if possible.

Anywho, I am just getting back into this game. It looks like they've added a lot of cool stuff since the last time I played, like colonizing. The Diable Avionics mod faction looks insane.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

That's just how the Java Virtual Machine works in general. When you start a Java program you indicate the minimum amount of space that should be allocated for the heap (the -Xms flag) and the maximum amount of space that should be allocated (the -Xmx flag). The minimum number gets allocated immediately for use by the Java Virtual Machine that the program runs inside of, even if your program doesn't use all of it right off the bat, and then it will use up to the maximum as needed, running the JVM's garbage collector when needed to free up space if possible.

Anywho, I am just getting back into this game. It looks like they've added a lot of cool stuff since the last time I played, like colonizing. The Diable Avionics mod faction looks insane.

Ahhh, it's Java. That explains everything.

• Options
    Faction mods are both a blessing and a curse because it makes it so very difficult to find the blueprints you want. I don't think I have seen an Onslaught blueprint since my first game.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    hmm

so I've been tooling around in the starting fleet

2x Wolf
    Hammerhead
    Light carrier (condor)?
    light drone tender
    light tanker, light civilian cargo, shuttle

I'm up to 1M credits and I feel like it's time to get moving. What should I buy?

And are there any storyline missions? I accepted some kind of unlimited duration mission to analyze some old tech, and a remnant fleet is guarding it, and I couldn't crack it with the above fleet. Now that I've ground some money I'll go back to it. Is this the storyline?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    I recently came upon this game thanks to this fellow on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acqpulP1hLo

My soul belongs to Stellaris currently, as it's my goto game to casually play while catching up on podcasts, but I'm intrigued enough by the depth this game offers to invest enough time to git gud at it.

So I ended up going down a rabbit hole and watching most of this guy's stuff on Youtube. Am I missing something, or is he all kinds of racist...or is he just being some kind of ironic? Googling didn't bring up much beyond that fact that apparently he's pretty active on /pol/, which probably says enough there?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    he's a shitposter, and a hilarious one at that.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Unsure if it's racism, or ironic racism

person in question posts on /pol/

hmmmmmmmm

• Options
    edited August 2019
    hmm

so I've been tooling around in the starting fleet

2x Wolf
    Hammerhead
    Light carrier (condor)?
    light drone tender
    light tanker, light civilian cargo, shuttle

I'm up to 1M credits and I feel like it's time to get moving. What should I buy?

And are there any storyline missions? I accepted some kind of unlimited duration mission to analyze some old tech, and a remnant fleet is guarding it, and I couldn't crack it with the above fleet. Now that I've ground some money I'll go back to it. Is this the storyline?

There are two storyline missions but they're kinda not that deep. Its very much not done. Youve got one of them arleady.

RE: Your fleet

What do you want to think of buying? There are a lot of good options up to and including capital ships(depending on skills) but the bigger ships are the more you're going to want to be able to invest in high quality weapons and equipment you may not have. Additionally the bigger ships are the less likely you are to be able to find them

My standby "good fleet but easy to acquire" uses Herons(bombers) and Mora's(fighters), with Eagles/Falcons on the line if its focused on fighters. And Dominators with Assault Chainguns/Heavy Machine Guns/Devastator Cannons and the safeties removed if i am not focused on fighters.

There is a single military independent world that you can purchase bigger ships from without a commission.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

My soul belongs to Stellaris currently, as it's my goto game to casually play while catching up on podcasts, but I'm intrigued enough by the depth this game offers to invest enough time to git gud at it.

So I ended up going down a rabbit hole and watching most of this guy's stuff on Youtube. Am I missing something, or is he all kinds of racist...or is he just being some kind of ironic? Googling didn't bring up much beyond that fact that apparently he's pretty active on /pol/, which probably says enough there?

There's a reason I didn't include his video in the OP despite the production value and how amusing it was.

• Options
    In my current game, the Hegemony has lost at least 12 Onslaughts over a minor disagreement pertaining to inspection rights of my colonies. My bounty (which I had no idea was even a thing) is up to 723k. I'm a bit curious to see how far this goes!

• Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular

I'm not seeing anything "Hard R" racist in his videos, or "JonTron" levels of uncomfortable opinions, so I assume he's just the way he is for shock value/schadenfreude.

• Options
    I gave in to temptation and put an alpha level AI in as admin of Rosieland. With a nanoforged orbital works business is now booming. No one has sent inspection fleets yet but I think I'll probably boost another colony with my other core to remove the admin penalty. Also, the Persean League's expedition to fuck with one of my planets met an untimely end while I was camping out around the planet it was being organized. It actually ran face first into my fleet and initiated combat for some reason. Not the wisest strategic move but oh well. A -5 hit to reputation isn't that big of a hit. Maybe I'll do a couple of missions for them or bombard their worlds into submission. Either/or.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Syzygy wrote: »

I'm not seeing anything "Hard R" racist in his videos, or "JonTron" levels of uncomfortable opinions, so I assume he's just the way he is for shock value/schadenfreude.

His videos are super well done, buuut it's hard for me to argue for the questionable elements in them being anything better than really bad. If you watch his Rimworld video he highlights colonists with the "gay" attribute multiple times for shock value, and then highlights them again during his segment about sending "undesirables" to the firing squad to be executed. That's ahhh, pretty rough man.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    So I just realized that I can retreat ships and call in new ships during a battle. Would have been very useful a week ago.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Well I had to give up salvaging every ship in the galaxy. I ended up with this massive fleet of "D" class ships that ate supplies and fuel like crazy; seems like it's rarely worth paying the 50k to restore one of those ships. Restarted on a new game and managed to find 1 milllion + in forges and etc on a couple of derelict missions pretty early on. Just added a Shrike destroyer to the mix too, it's working just fine.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Yeah, restoring is not meant to be cost effective. It's only meant to be used if you find a particularly rare ship that you want that just has some D mods on it and really want it to be pristine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    So the refit simulator is a time machine.

The night is gone- like the tears of a unicorn in the rain.

I learned all sorts of things about which weapon are handy for fending off frigate wolfpacks, though. The fleet ai is fascinating. Observe the cruiser bully its way in with frigates hiding around its skirts, see those frigates sneak over to flank, watch them flee when you turn a main gun on them only for that destroyer to take full advantage while the bombers zoom in. On and on. It is just a lovely combat system to play with.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I frequently just put my ship on autopilot and enjoy the fireworks.

• Options
    Basil wrote: »

I learned all sorts of things about which weapon are handy for fending off frigate wolfpacks, though. The fleet ai is fascinating. Observe the cruiser bully its way in with frigates hiding around its skirts, see those frigates sneak over to flank, watch them flee when you turn a main gun on them only for that destroyer to take full advantage while the bombers zoom in. On and on. It is just a lovely combat system to play with.

The AI is actually really simple. It has an unshielded/overloaded target bias and a threat range bias (basically it counts the DPS of the weapons in range) and then picks a range equal to “its longest range gun” or “all of its guns” and then it backs off when its flux gets high.

Aggressive AI will never pick “its longest range gun”, cautious AI will only pick “its longest range gun”. Reckless ignores the threat from every target other than its target. Timid keeps out of enemy range entirely. Steady is default.

All the lateral movement is, i think, random and not a result of specific direction. With the exception that there is some minor collision detection

“Engage” forces the selected ships to target that ship. Eliminate forces selected ships to target the ship and sets their AI to reckless.

Escort tells a smaller ship to get behind a larger ship and a larger ship to get in front of a smaller ship. (Same size gets in front)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

The AI is actually really simple. It has an unshielded/overloaded target bias and a threat range bias (basically it counts the DPS of the weapons in range) and then picks a range equal to “its longest range gun” or “all of its guns” and then it backs off when its flux gets high.

Aggressive AI will never pick “its longest range gun”, cautious AI will only pick “its longest range gun”. Reckless ignores the threat from every target other than its target. Timid keeps out of enemy range entirely. Steady is default.

All the lateral movement is, i think, random and not a result of specific direction. With the exception that there is some minor collision detection

“Engage” forces the selected ships to target that ship. Eliminate forces selected ships to target the ship and sets their AI to reckless.

Escort tells a smaller ship to get behind a larger ship and a larger ship to get in front of a smaller ship. (Same size gets in front)

The lateral movements are based around trying to keep the maximum number of enemies/threats behind their target to minimize their ability to shoot back. It doesn't account for your allies just enemies, which can hinder firing lines and concentrating fire though

• Options
    edited August 2019
    My favorite thing is how much breadth there is to ship behavior as a result of those fairly simple bits of decision making. Mod faction weapons, for example, don't necessarily break the game's logic even if they are outliers. Giving players the chance to play around in a sort of combat ecosystem that works certain ways is neat.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Given the inertia of ships not turning on a dime that little amount of decision-making really does a lot to make it seem like ships know what they do.

• Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

The lateral movements are based around trying to keep the maximum number of enemies/threats behind their target to minimize their ability to shoot back. It doesn't account for your allies just enemies, which can hinder firing lines and concentrating fire though

That is kinda smart actually.
    Given the inertia of ships not turning on a dime that little amount of decision-making really does a lot to make it seem like ships know what they do.

Until they donk themselves by getting crushed between two capitals. :P

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I've been watching this Fleet Building Tournament on and off all week. It's pretty interesting seeing ship loadouts and how the AI battle each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpA86ZxZAy4