As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Interesting wording here: MGS4 development won't be affected for the 360's sake.

DukiDuki Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Found on GAF. Article from 1up.
Payton knows fans have legitimate concerns about Kojima Productions possibly compromising the game's ambition due to issues arising from concurrent Xbox 360 development -- divided resources, less disc space, etc. -- and he addressed those directly:

"I can tell you honestly at this point, we have not changed the game in any form with the idea of 'oh, we got to do this on 360.' Put aside whether or not we're developing for 360 or not, the game is built on the PS3 hardware, as you guys have known for the past two years or so."

In other words: if MGS4 comes to Xbox 360, it has not affected the game's development. This is the same game Hideo Kojima decided to produce from day one. Make sure to listen to the podcast for more from Payton and the 1UP boys about Snake, Xbox 360 vs. PS3 and more.

It reads more like some kind of damage control aimed at Sony fans than anything else.

Well, this certainly begs an interesting question. Is MGS4 back on the cards for being ported to the 360? It certainly seems so, because otherwise, there is no real point to this statement. It's not actively refuting a 360 version, but if it was, there would be no need for this statement because it would only be available for the PS3 anyway.

Looks like someone might still be eating their dick.

Duki on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think his statement was just poorly worded. He should have said, "There have never been any plans to port it to the 360 so there is no way that could have affected development.

On the other hand, I want a dick eaten.

Couscous on
  • Options
    S.S. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It doesn't look like something that's poorly worded, and it's something you'd be pretty careful to word in the first place. :|

S. on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I listened to that podcast a few hours ago, and it seems as if Ryan Payton handles himself, and loaded questions from the 1up guys, very well. It was decidedly open-ended responses, but that's what you have to do as a PR representative. I'm not reading anything into it, I just think that Ryan's doing his job, and not confirming anything that Kojima Productions hasn't already officially confirmed, either way.

Kami on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Was this translated?

if it was natively English, I now expect a 360 version of MSG4

LewieP on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Was this translated?

Why? He never even hints that it's coming to the 360. In fact, what he said makes it sound like a 360 port is less likely.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Was this translated?

Why? He never even hints that it's coming to the 360. In fact, what he said makes it sound like a 360 port is less likely.

if it's in his native language, then he refuses to at any point say "It won't come to 360"

Meaning that it might come to 360.

If there is a possibility of it coming to 360, it will depend on factors like install base, software sales, and such.

If those are the factors determining whether or not a port happens, I imagine there will be a port.

That says nothing on the quality of the port. Even if it is a really sloppy port, in every respect, or doesn't come out for 6-12 months after it does on PS3, I still think it will happen.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Was this translated?

if it's in his native language, then he refuses to at any point say "It won't come to 360"

Meaning that it might come to 360.

If there is a possibility of it coming to 360, it will depend on factors like install base, software sales, and such.

If those are the factors determining whether or not a port happens, I imagine there will be a port.

That says nothing on the quality of the port. Even if it is a really sloppy port, in every respect, or doesn't come out for 6-12 months after it does on PS3, I still think it will happen.

First off, it's in his native language (Ryan's American).

But yeah, he's not saying "it's definitely not coming to the 360" because he's not the one that makes those decisions. For all he knows, it could be ported a year or two down the line. But that's up to Kojima and the head of Konami to decide.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Why do people completely ignore journalistic bias wording when trying to support their own point of view.
    I personally would like it to be on 360, but I can't look at that article without bursting out laughing at the mis-quoting and out of context tripe.
    Especially the way they loaded it with the insinuation that 360 coding is happening. Just because you treat something like a fact doesn't mean it is a fact.

Basically, delete everything but his actual quote, since everything around it is insinuating bullshit, and suddenly it doesn't look like what you want it to be at all, and looks completely harmless.

Loaded questions are called loaded questions because its incredibly hard to answer them without appearing to confirm whatever the loaded question is insinuating. They are not good examples of evidence.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Listen, guys.

It's not gonna happen.

I'm not going to threaten to eat my cock like some forumers have, but I feel safe in saying that it's not going to happen, and all of the 360 diehards are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

If push comes to shove, Sony won't allow it. They'll make it much more attractive to Konami to keep MGS4 on the PS3 than for them to release it on the 360, using whatever means they require, like backdoor deals concerning outright money, or licensing breaks, or whatever.

So yeah, it's not gonna happen.

Einhander on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wait... how do people get "It's being ported to the Xbox 360!" from that? Man, everyone is just looking too deep into it. They've seen repeatedly that they haven't and still don't have any intention of porting the game. There are no hidden messages. Maybe it'll be ported in the future, but for its development cycle and even now, they have no plans to do so.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Just to note, I am basing my opinion on a range of sources, I don't own a 360, and I don't really like the MG series. I'm looking at the industry, and the market, and the companies involved, and determining my opinion from that.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All the guy said was that that are designing it soley for the PS3 hardware. Where are you reading MGS4 CERTAIN FOR 360 in this?

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Just to note, I am basing my opinion on a range of sources, I don't own a 360, and I don't really like the MG series. I'm looking at the industry, and the market, and the companies involved, and determining my opinion from that.

Sweet, we have a professional analyst and not someone who just thinks they're an analyst to tell us what Kojima and his team don't know.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    All the guy said was that that are designing it soley for the PS3 hardware. Where are you reading MGS4 CERTAIN FOR 360 in this?

it's just all the information put together, making me think that a 360 port is more likely than no 360 port.
    Dashui wrote: »

Sweet, we have a professional analyst and not someone who just thinks they're an analyst to tell us what Kojima and his team don't know.

I never said it was certain, or claimed to have more knowledge on the subject, I just said my thoughts.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If MGS4 is released for the 360, I will beat my cock.

Einhander on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007
    it totally could mean that the 360 version is better and the ps3 version is not being made better to bring it inline with the 360 version!

:O!

:O!

bongi on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    a 360 version would be cool but i hope it doesn't have faults like the xbox version of MGS2 (which weren't too bad but the PS2 version still felt better anyway) hell it could probably have worse problems with the 360 and PS3 being more complicated but who knows. maybe a year or more after the game is released I assume

Sanius on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pfft. MGS4 won't be that good.

Right?

Right?

Iriah on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wonder how hard Sony tried to 'Save' GTAIV from going to the 360..
    Iriah wrote: »
    Pfft. MGS4 won't be that good.

Right?

Right?

Not a fan of the series myself. It could go to the Wii and I wouldn't blink.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Well, according to all the reports I've read, Rockstar went and offered exclusive rights to Sony right from the start, and (this is where the reports differ) Sony either never even met with them, or turned down the rights because Rockstar wanted a hojillion dollars.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Not a fan of the series myself. It could go to the Wii and I wouldn't blink.

Minigame where you play as the President and use waggle to grope main characters in the crotch?

Sold

Einhander on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I see this coming to 360 a couple of months after the PS3 release.

Why? I don't think the PS3 has (or will have) the install base to cover the development costs, much less pull off a profit. There is just not enough interest in the PS3 at the moment to justify keeping it an exclusive. If the PS3 was cheaper, I would say that people would buy it just fot MGS4, but at $600, I can't see that happening.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Well, according to all the reports I've read, Rockstar went and offered exclusive rights to Sony right from the start, and (this is where the reports differ) Sony either never even met with them, or turned down the rights because Rockstar wanted a hojillion dollars.

I believe they had met with someone down the chain of command, but got stonewalled when it came to making the deal final with the higher ups. Sony made the right call here, as the best they probably could have come out with would have been 6 months or a year exclusivity, then a 360 release. Rockstar, thinking that the PS3 would shortly be in an equal or better position than the 360, decided not to offer the same deal to Microsoft. Boy they made a mistake, as Microsoft would have gladly paid double $texas for a few months over the PS3.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171126.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;4

How any third party dev in Japan can be watching Capcom do this well from the sidelines and not want in on the action is beyond me.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    New Achievement Unlocked : First Neck Snap 20GP

This alone is why we need a 360 port!

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    Listen, guys.

It's not gonna happen.

I'm not going to threaten to eat my cock like some forumers have, but I feel safe in saying that it's not going to happen, and all of the 360 diehards are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

If push comes to shove, Sony won't allow it. They'll make it much more attractive to Konami to keep MGS4 on the PS3 than for them to release it on the 360, using whatever means they require, like backdoor deals concerning outright money, or licensing breaks, or whatever.

Then why did Sony "allow" GTA4 to come out on the 360 the same day as the PS3 version?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Listen, guys.

It's not gonna happen.

Then why did Sony "allow" GTA4 to come out on the 360 the same day as the PS3 version?

exactly, MS have a bit of money too. Plus there is the whole 1/3 thing.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Listen, guys.

It's not gonna happen.

Have you guys been reading the thread you're posting in?

Read the first page again and get back to me.

Einhander on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Listen, guys.

It's not gonna happen.

Yes we have, Mr. Condescension. And your assertion that Sony wouldn't "allow" a MGS4 port to the 360 is nowhere on there.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't get why he insists on informing us every couple of months that the 360 isn't getting this game. THE 360 IS DOING JUST FINE WITHOUT MGS. MGS, from my understanding, is popular mostly in the states. The PS3 isn't doing so hot in the states. He can do what he wants with his theatrical experience, er, I mean game.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Listen, guys.

It's not gonna happen.

It wouldn't matter if the thread was titled and reported "Metal Gear Solid 4 to include kancho maneuvers and finger puppets." Whenever the game is mentioned, everyone goes off about how it's going to get ported to the Xbox 360, no matter the evidence against it. And no, everything you people are talking about is not evidence; it's conjecture. And why does everyone debate so strongly that it's going to be ported, anyways, when half the people always say "I'm not even that interested in Metal Gear Solid..."?

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ok, done, now what?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ok, done, now what?

Let's kancho finger puppets (although, you can argue they're already kanchoed if they're on your finger; this is a dilemma).

Dashui on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't get why he insists on informing us every couple of months that the 360 isn't getting this game. THE 360 IS DOING JUST FINE WITHOUT MGS. MGS, from my understanding, is popular mostly in the states. The PS3 isn't doing so hot in the states. He can do what he wants with his theatrical experience, er, I mean game.

Because people insist every ten minutes that it is?

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    bongi wrote: »

Because people insist every ten minutes that it is?

Ok, I suppose you have a point there.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The 360 already has Assasins Creed and Hobo with a Shotgun (Splinter Cell Conviction) in the pipe, along with the entire Clancy back catalogue, there is plenty of good stealth on the platform already.

The 360 owners who say that they aren't interested in MGS almost always seem to be the same people posting that a 360 port is all but assured.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The 360 owners who say that they aren't interested in MGS almost always seem to be the same people posting that a 360 port is all but assured.

I think you're right. The people who aren't interested in MGS on the 360 seem to be the ones who are showing the MOST interest. Personally, I could care less either way. I just don't have the time anymore to sit through hours of cutscenes (I know, I'm a broken record.)

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just want the game for the story. honestly, if there was a video of someone playing through the entire game with every cutscene and stuff, i'd just watch that and never bother with the game

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Liquid will never let them port it.

shoopdawoop.jpg

Solid fights for freedom but has been dispatched.
    Kancho.gif

Dashui on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The 360 already has Assasins Creed and Hobo with a Shotgun (Splinter Cell Conviction) in the pipe, along with the entire Clancy back catalogue, there is plenty of good stealth on the platform already.

And the people who say that "It'll NEVER EVER be ported because Sony won't let it!" are any better? It's a two way street buddy. You're both guilty of the same crime.

I don't know what will happen with MGS4. And surprise, neither do you. I've learned one thing over these last few years of gaming, and that's never to assume ANYTHING.

I know one absolute truth about MGS4. It's a year away from release. And a lot of things can happen in a year. So everybody sit back, and just freaking chill. If it's on the PS3, yay for those people. If it's also on the 360, then yay for those people as well.

Me? I'll be waiting for the Substance version.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."