Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let's get this [job] thread!

• MorivethMoriveth ESCA FLOWNERegistered User regular
    Whew, training a new person is exhausting. Thankfully she seems real smart and fully capable, otherwise it’d be frustrating too.

Commander ZoomDrake ChambersDisruptedCapitalistBucketmanlonelyahavaSlacker71Goose!
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    So the new job is so far cool. I've found out the company that I'm going to be working with and the kind of equipment I'll be designing. I'll learning more details today and Thursday regarding those. The building is pretty swank even though I don't have an office, it's a good sized cube. There are free drinks, including seltzer and diet dr. pepper, cheap snacks, free bread (can't eat), and fresh fruit. They also grind the coffee (Starbucks French Roast & Pike's Peak). When I was chatting with the IT guy about how happy I was with the setup I said, "It's great, I couldn't ask for anything more, aside from a ping pong table." And he was like, "Dude, we have a ping pong table!" And we do! I went and checked it out, it's in great shape as are the paddles. Also, we're going to be getting a gym at the end of the month with a Pelaton bike (free accounts for all) and a concept 2 rower. There will be dumb bells too but I don't know the specifics. Looking forward to getting my row on.

The client I'll work with is in Connecticut, and I'll be spending about a week at a time there. Apparently 2 out of the 3 hotels are dog friendly so I can bring Rosie's dumb butt with me, which is great. I'm really really excited to get going on the project.

One downside, I did spot some mold on a few ceiling tiles, meaning there was water intrusion in the past. I brought in my air quality monitor and it read as excellent, so I won't be too loaded down with spores but it might not be a bad idea to request a thorough examination of the building.

All in all, I give the new job a 5 out of 7.

Perfect.

MadpoetBucketmanEchoThegreatcowchrishallett83
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Man, I hated training people in my old call center job. It meant having the trainee sitting with me in my cube and as a result completely killed downtime between calls when I would normally have just been reading or playing a game. I had to, ugh, talk to a person.

JansonElvenshaeOrcaBucketmanGnizmoRoyceSraphimSlacker71
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I did not mind training people as I had to do that in the corps a lot as the MEU worked differently than the regular Corps {same ideals and such just you were expected to bring an A game and more with less}
    Compared to doing it at wal mart some of those people did not want to learn or try out different things which was annoying but I had to work with what I was given and make the most with it

edited October 10
    Literally the dumbest conversation I have ever had. I ordered a side from Panda Express. It came to $2.08. Cashier says “oh I don’t need the 10 cents, it’s $2.08 and you gave me $5.00.” And I’m like “uhm, yeah, but I don’t want to get 92 cents back” which I had to repeat 2 times because she didn’t seem to understand.. So she finished the sale and hands me three singles. I’m waiting (she’s not looking at me). Finally she looks up and says “oh do you need a bag?” I said “I’m, not really, but you owe me 2 cents.” She clearly didn’t get it even after I briefly explained the math. I really don’t care about 2 cents but that was super weird and I felt super weird lol. I just said “uhhh don’t worry about it” because I wasn’t getting through at all.

Drez on
    BrainleechDarkPrimusDisruptedCapitalistkimeToxKruiteIloveslimessarukunJaysonFour
    edited October 10
    I posted that in the wrong thread but fuck it.

Also I feel like an asshole even disagreeing with her about it, it was just a really confusing exchange.

Drez on
    Elvenshae
    Drez wrote: »
    Literally the dumbest conversation I have ever had. I ordered a side from Panda Express. It came to $2.08. Cashier says “oh I don’t need the 10 cents, it’s $2.08 and you gave me $5.00.” And I’m like “uhm, yeah, but I don’t want to get 92 cents back” which I had to repeat 2 times because she didn’t seem to understand.. So she finished the sale and hands me three singles. I’m waiting (she’s not looking at me). Finally she looks up and says “oh do you need a bag?” I said “I’m, not really, but you owe me 2 cents.” She clearly didn’t get it even after I briefly explained the math. I really don’t care about 2 cents but that was super weird and I felt super weird lol. I just said “uhhh don’t worry about it” because I wasn’t getting through at all.

I have this problem far too often here. At first I thought it was just a fluke now I see it as why the education and such of this state is a utter failure

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    I ran into the change problem exactly once when I started running a register, and the customer was nice enough to tell me why they gave me the amount they did, and from then on I always accepted the amount they gave me and gave them the change that came from it.

That said, if you are trying to give me different change or whatever after I've already rang the register... my friend, the math has already been done. Move along.

dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    thatassemblyguyKayne Red RobeDouglasDangerMoridin889NightDragonToxlonelyahavaOghulkbowensarukunSlacker71JaysonFourCormac
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Working fast food was like that for me too. I am doing hundreds of transactions, I am on auto pilot and my register needs to be right at the end of shift, hand me money, I hit the beep boops, you get the change you get, move along. I get the desire for less coins, but I am barely above minimum wage and do noooott care. I serve chicken biscuits, not money changing functions. Add in that there ARE short change artists out there and it's doubly silly for me to bother when it's just a few coins in your pocket.

BrainleechOrcaMoridin889CalicaNightDragonTofystedethShazkar ShadowstormThegreatcowJaysonFour
    Well it's problems like last week I bought lotto tickets for $4 I gave 3.25 in quarters 6 dimes and 3 nickels the clerk thanked me with thanks! I don't have to get change now from the machine. you saved me.
    The other employee runs over and asks him what happened he runs down what I gave him the other one confused forces him to open the drawer and recount it as that does not add up.

• godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited October 10

Yet another thing I love about Japan: so many stores and restaurants have cash registers that spit out the change automatically so the clerk doesn't do any of the math. They put in the money you give them and the correct amount of change comes out.

godmode on
    DrezNightDragonsarukun
    Working fast food was like that for me too. I am doing hundreds of transactions, I am on auto pilot and my register needs to be right at the end of shift, hand me money, I hit the beep boops, you get the change you get, move along. I get the desire for less coins, but I am barely above minimum wage and do noooott care. I serve chicken biscuits, not money changing functions. Add in that there ARE short change artists out there and it's doubly silly for me to bother when it's just a few coins in your pocket.

I hear you. But in this case there was literally no one around.

To be fair, I think she may have punched in 5.00 before seeing the dime (she dropped it but now thinking back I think she may not have seen it in the first place). I did give it to her up front tho.

Not a big deal at all, it was just confusing.

• OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I have this problem far too often here. At first I thought it was just a fluke now I see it as why the education and such of this state is a utter failure

This is a result of the cash register doing all the work so your brain shuts off. Been there, done that, felt like a colossal idiot.

The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
    Calicathatassemblyguy
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 10

Okay, I was reading this and trying to figure it out, and here's the problem, IMO:
    You never actually mention (until two posts down) that you gave her $5 and a dime.

Commander Zoom on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    tynicDrezDrake ChambersKwoaruTofystedethadejaanSlacker71
    edited October 10

Okay, I was reading this and trying to figure it out, and here's the problem, IMO:
    You never actually mention (in this post; not until two posts down) that you gave her $5 and a dime.

Whoops!

You just dropped a dime on my word-omitting ass.

Drez on
    Commander ZoomTonkkaDrake ChambersElvenshaeSnicketysnickOghulkDisruptedCapitalistIloveslimessarukunSlacker71AngelHedgieJaysonFourchrishallett83
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I've been in her shoes. I can do math in my head, no problem... just not while I'm in Most Helpful And Obedient For Good Customer Experience headspace.

Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
    OrcaNightDragonDisruptedCapitalist
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I've had that same issue before. I'm really good at math, but the combination of "you need to add AND subtract at the same time" always broke my brain in the moment. If I'm only expecting to have to subtract the total from the money I'm given, this sudden new requirement always made me need to stop for a second and re-orient.

Which was especially hard for me to accomplish when my increasingly-angry customer started yelling at me with the total I needed to hand over to him, as if I was an idiot, when in reality I just needed an extra second of some goddamn silence so *I* could confirm with MYSELF that I'm handing the right amount back.

(Not saying this was what happened with you, but it was a thing that happened to me a few times over my retail jobs that always made me feel super shitty)

Tofystedeth
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    I've never worked a register system that didn't do the math for me, if I wasn't capable myself.

Bucketman
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've never worked a register system that didn't do the math for me, if I wasn't capable myself.

I've worked with both kinds of registers.

DouglasDangerDisruptedCapitalist
    I was trained as a Cashier because I felt my manager at the time wanted me to get fired and this was the easiest way in her mind, It's a complex topic but this manager had issues as she was busted down from CO to assistant Manager and so many more. She took her frustration of work and her life out on the people of that shift. and it was the not most miserable time I was there

Drez
    I guess it just didn’t...register...for her.

webguy20kimemightyjongyoMrMonroeElvenshaeToxSorceSnicketysnickPolaritieOghulkDisruptedCapitalistTofystedeth3clipseBobbleexpendablebowenMrGrimoireBucketmanThegreatcowIloveslimesthatassemblyguysarukunLiiyaRoyceSraphimSlacker71AngelHedgieJaysonFourCormacchrishallett83
    I should be flogged.

The Escape GoatkimemightyjongyoMrMonroeElvenshaechromdomToxSolarQuantumTurkDisruptedCapitalistKruiteTofystedeth3clipseexpendableBucketmanThegreatcowIloveslimesthatassemblyguyLiiyaAngelHedgieTurksonJaysonFourchrishallett83
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You know, in Canada you wouldn't have to worry about the two cents.

You'd just go up and get your side order for $20.10 and then

DreztynicThe Escape GoatCelloOghulkDisruptedCapitalist3clipsechrishallett83
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    tfw your company has software with an annually renewing license (hi Adobe!) and the expiration hits and no reminders were sent out and nobody set reminders so now you have bundles of calls/emails complaining about the software suddenly stopping working and getting some weird license error and they don't know what this means why isn't this working and what do you mean you can't fix it what's a license why does my department have to spend this money this is IT stuff you should pay for it and I-

...I need to get the fuck up outta here.

Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    I’ve also spent this entire week wrestling with Adobe! But we got their new half-baked “Feature Restricted License” product. There are no more serials!
    This would be great...if the product would not keep installing and telling me it’s not licensed.

edited October 10
    Adobe's been doing some "fun" stuff lately like cancelling everybody's subscriptions in Venezuela and not refunding any of the stuff purchased through Adobe Cloud that these users now no longer have access to.

Oh hey look it's the exact reason "renting" software and buying ANYTHING through their service that you can't "own" is a terrible fucking idea

NightDragon on
    TheStigOrcaMoridin889Curly_BraceSkeithJoolanderDisruptedCapitalistN1tSt4lkertynic3clipseJedocbowenBucketmanJansonwebguy20TynnanmightyjongyoIloveslimesthatassemblyguysarukunASimPersonSlacker71kimeJaysonFourCormac
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I guess it just didn’t...register...for her.

No Sale

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A new born baby's skin is still porous, you can just leave them sitting in a bucket of blood and they'll soak up what they need.
    Commander ZoomElvenshaeNightDragonDrezJoolanderOghulktynicBucketmanCalica
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Not on Any Podcast or Affliated Don't Even Own a MikeRegistered User regular

I hear you. But in this case there was literally no one around.

To be fair, I think she may have punched in 5.00 before seeing the dime (she dropped it but now thinking back I think she may not have seen it in the first place). I did give it to her up front tho.

Not a big deal at all, it was just confusing.

I'm glad you didn't act like an asshole about it. Ya did good!

VayBJ4e.png
    NightDragonDrez
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    *reads meeting notes*
    making sure everything is signed off and finalized before starting to build something

*deep belly laugh*

Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    TofystedethDrezDrZiplockTynnanToxElvenshaeThe Escape GoatTonkka
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    We're so good at finalizing and signing off here that we do it at least once a week for big projects!

Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    Grobian
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    Flu Jab obtained!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork

TofystedethBobbleN1tSt4lkerJedocLaOsJansonwebguy20stopgapTynnanmightyjongyoToxani_game_bumElvenshaeThe Escape GoatSkeithCommander ZoomTonkkaSlacker71Curly_BraceCalicakimeDrezAngelHedgieJaysonFour
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Look at you all

Discussing good coffee etiquette.

I don't even have a machine for good free coffee. I have to go downstairs and pay for that in the cafe.

In the kitchen on my floor?

Cheap instant coffee.

It's terrible.

You all don't know how lucky you have it.

YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
    TayaMojo_Jojo
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    edited October 10
    Karl wrote: »
    Look at you all

Discussing good coffee etiquette.

I don't even have a machine for good free coffee. I have to go downstairs and pay for that in the cafe.

In the kitchen on my floor?

Cheap instant coffee.

It's terrible.

You all don't know how lucky you have it.

“Good” free coffee, lol. It’s like someone burned a mix of motor oil and garbage for hours to make the coffee grounds.

I’d love to have a cafe downstairs sellin me a nice cup of coffee.

rhylith on
    Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    You can just take a spoonful of instant coffee and tuck it between your back molars and cheek like chaw.

OrcaElvenshaegodmodeDynagrip
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I sometimes think that if I ever want to teach my kids mental arithmetic really well, I'll make them work at a bodega. I know that the kids working their are relatives of the owners, and I couldn't really get my kid a job there. But those guys.. never use a register. I check their math occasionally, but I've been lulled into a sense of complacency with the one I go to regularly since they've never been wrong.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Lmao if you don't even know the imaginary abacus taught to you by an abusive teacher

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Adobe's been doing some "fun" stuff lately like cancelling everybody's subscriptions in Venezuela and not refunding any of the stuff purchased through Adobe Cloud that these users now no longer have access to.

Oh hey look it's the exact reason "renting" software and buying ANYTHING through their service that you can't "own" is a terrible fucking idea

I've been saying this shit since it started to become a norm and there's a large group of IT people that go "oh yeah like that'd ever be a real worry" and 10 years later here we are.

Leasing software is fucking dumb and I hate everything about it even if it means it's slightly easier to pirate shit like video games or excel.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
    SleeptynicNightDragonCelloOrcaTynnanPolaritieToxKayne Red RobehonovereDouglasDangerSkeithDisruptedCapitalistCommander ZoomTonkkaCalicaSorceCambiataJaysonFour
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

They needed to set my wife up with Acrobat at her new job. It wouldn't let them create an Adobe account for her from some reason. Turns out after like an hour of trouble shooting, you have to put your full name in when you set it up, and my wife has an Adobe cloud account at home, to avoid people getting free trials over and over if you have a matching name/address combo to an existing account, you cannot create a new one. Even when the email address is different

bowenEncCalica
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    You used to need an Adobe ID to read Overdrive ebooks on a computer.

I help a lot of people with a lot of computer problems, but Adobe ID is the only one to have reduced elderly patrons to tears of frustration more than once.

It's a vicious, inhumane software ecosystem that is too arrogant to even try to work properly. I hate it, and I'll vote for the first candidate who promises to have the entire Adobe C-suite horsewhipped, dispossessed, and exiled.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    BucketmanBhowTynnanPolaritieToxElvenshaeSkeithCommander ZoomSlacker71Cambiata
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You used to need an Adobe ID to read Overdrive ebooks on a computer.

I help a lot of people with a lot of computer problems, but Adobe ID is the only one to have reduced elderly patrons to tears of frustration more than once.

It's a vicious, inhumane software ecosystem that is too arrogant to even try to work properly. I hate it, and I'll vote for the first candidate who promises to have the entire Adobe C-suite horsewhipped, dispossessed, and exiled.

So much of the tech world we exist in is driven by these hulking behemoths that underpin the fabric of our lives, are garbage at it, but cannot be taken to task for being garbage at it.

MrMonroe3clipseBucketmanNightDragonToxKayne Red RobebowenthatassemblyguyThe Escape GoatSkeithCommander ZoomAistanCurly_BraceCalicagodmodeSorce