As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Starting to like "last day" days.

I mean, what's not to like? There's no consequence to my actions, and very little required. Everyone should quit jobs more often to feel this freedom.

I wish I could
    But I damn near cannot breathe without my asthma medicine, and I cannot afford it without insurance

And I cannot afford insurance without my employer covering most of the costs

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Shoes
    Boots
    Heels
    Sandals

This is what active footwear is to me, the four pillars. Much like how I don't bother with makes and models of vehicles, it's just car, van, truck.

Heelies.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    That map is inaccurate as it suggests no one calls them "tennies"

oh god tell me this is not a thing

It very much is a thing.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Shoes
    Boots
    Heels
    Sandals

This is what active footwear is to me, the four pillars. Much like how I don't bother with makes and models of vehicles, it's just car, van, truck.

Heelies.

Shoes category

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Oh. My. God. I'm terrible for laughing at this, but the patient is fine. 5 year old hit with a machete by his brother.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    why

do the children

have access to a machete

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Did kicks die out?

Wasn't that the 50's?

Anecdotally at least, here in california "kicks" was used pretty regularly between 2000-2005, at which point I stopped paying attention

• Options
    Facility email waxing on about how computers used to be very expensive and there were only a couple here but now pretty much everyone has one and they're now assigned to specific locations instead of specific people.

Therefore, stop taking the damn things with you when you move to another building. And leave the phones alone too, you're giving IT a headache

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    why

do the children

have access to a machete

You've never had a machete fight with your brother in a barn?

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    why

do the children

have access to a machete

You've never had a machete fight with your brother in a barn?

No but we did duel with fluorescent light tubes for all of five seconds before we found out why that was a poor choice of weaponry

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    why

do the children

have access to a machete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6gBu2Zd7Bc

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    that reminded me of this

I think most people call them "running shoes" in ontario

Christ, it's like the Electoral College map from 2016

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    I guess I'm from Hawaii?

I feel like that map is wrong. I'm in CA and no one here says tennis shoes.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm from Hawaii?

That map is wildly inaccurate

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    why

do the children

have access to a machete

I have given
    the children
    that machete
    from the woodshed

and which
    you were probably
    storing
    for safety

Forgive me
    it was so sharp
    so deadly
    and so cold

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Did kicks die out?

when all the little kids with the pumped up kicks couldn't run couldn't run, outrun that bullet

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I guess I'm from Hawaii?

I’m in CA and definitely have heard tennis shoes. But we are a big state.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Did kicks die out?

Wasn't that the 50's?

Anecdotally at least, here in california "kicks" was used pretty regularly between 2000-2005, at which point I stopped paying attention

All the other kids with the pumped-up kicks ...

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Monday is my Fridax!

And school starts on Wednesday so I get to avoid all that nonsense.*

* there will be plenty of nonsense left over for me to deal with on Thursday.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I guess I'm going to a work event in Indianapolis in two weeks.
    Y ... yay?

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Y ... yay?

Its not awful. Just a normal small city.

Too bad its not Chicago, a bunch of us would take you out for Malort!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Y ... yay?

Jesus Bucketman, what the hell did tynic do to you that you're threatening her with that?

• Options
    Y ... yay?

I have gained considerable status and notoriety amongst the midwesterners in the lab for owning (and not immediately disposing of) Malort.
    Also my friend who is very into italian bitter aperitifs quite likes it, so ultimately this has been the gift that keeps on giving.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Y ... yay?

prepare yourself for an entire city that smells like farm animals

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Y ... yay?

prepare yourself for an entire city that smells like farm animals

I don't have a sense of smell AND I like farm animals so this sounds like a win-win

• Options
    edited August 2019
    My colleagues version of "leaving me with his data" seems to be "leaving me with a pile of unlabelled external drives, some of which contain bootable copies of his entire computer, some of which are inexplicably labelled 'backup' but turn out to be completely empty, and 'other'"

hilariously, he was supposed to be 'the organized one'

tynic on
  • Options
    My colleagues version of "leaving me with his data" seems to be "leaving me with a pile of unlabelled external drives, some of which contain bootable copies of his entire computer, some of which are inexplicably labelled 'backup' but turn out to be completely empty, and 'other'"

hilariously, he was supposed to be 'the organized one'

honestly this sounds about right in my experience

• Options
    just now I found a printed sheet of paper with a data/harddrive key on it (in a tub, in a cupboard).
    - it didn't even cover a tenth of the actual harddrives I have sitting here
    - it doesn't list any of the data from 2019 even though he only made the key a month ago.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I'm on vacation which is kind of a job isn't it?

But in lieu of a chat thread I came here to say that a small town in Sicily is named after @Brolo for some reason. What's up with that?

c48jzwws7ymi.jpg

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    People might mistake me for being organized because of the relative tidiness of my office, or my ability to quickly find a thing that’s needed.

I feel a great swell of sympathy for person who, on the inevitable day I retire in the midst of a massive undertaking, inherits my files, for that person will be lost. Not “I don’t understand how this all fits together” lost — more “someone please save me from this swirling abyss of paper and thumb drives”.

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »

But in lieu of a chat thread I came here to say that a small town in Sicily is named after @Brolo for some reason. What's up with that?

[img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/oh/c48jzwws7ymi .jpg[/img]

oh those poor, doomed fools

• Options

the town was haunted by a smell that reminded some of long-rotted spilled milk, others of a stale fart, spreading through the wind

but everyone agreed that it was only getting worse over time

by the time anyone had thought to escape, the miasma had spread, a fog too thick to cut through

Brolo had descended, and all that survived was the town's name, a warning to never breath too deeply

• Options
    Indy really isn't that bad. I was just there last weekend for a few days. If you want to try some local cuisine, Burger Theory is a great place, and if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket you can grab a wonderful shrimp cocktail and steak at St.Elmo's as featured on Parks and Recreation. The mall is also pretty nice but is a little on the older side.

Avoid the The Old Spaghetti Factory

• Options

the town was haunted by a smell that reminded some of long-rotted spilled milk, others of a stale fart, spreading through the wind

but everyone agreed that it was only getting worse over time

by the time anyone had thought to escape, the miasma had spread, a fog too thick to cut through

Brolo had descended, and all that survived was the town's name, a warning to never breath too deeply

They endured for so long, Day By Day

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    When I visited Bend, Oregon, the evening air smelled overwhelmingly of pee. The Internet has told me others have had this experience too but the cause (Brolo?) remains a mystery.

• Options
    Indy really isn't that bad. I was just there last weekend for a few days. If you want to try some local cuisine, Burger Theory is a great place, and if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket you can grab a wonderful shrimp cocktail and steak at St.Elmo's as featured on Parks and Recreation. The mall is also pretty nice but is a little on the older side.

Avoid the The Old Spaghetti Factory

... is it haunted by old spaghetti?
    actually please never tell me why, I want this arcane warning to linger with me for decades.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    While this does provide good writing bracketing for my planned lunar amazon noir novel, but then the question come up about biology.

and I'm in a rabbit hole of research articles.

tl;dr 20th century scientists had no idea how the female human body works, I'm strongly suspecting the moon missions succeeded because NASA looked like the Simpson's bloodline.

edit: Mother fuck, who the fuck wrote.....
    The question of direct sexual release on a long-duration space mission must be considered. Practical considerations (such as weight and expense) preclude men taking their wives on the first space flights. It is possible that a woman, qualified from a scientific viewpoint, might be persuaded to donate her time and energies for the sake of improving crew morale; however, such a situation might create interpersonal tensions far more dynamic than the sexual tensions it would release. Other means of sexual release (masturbation, homosexuality) would be discouraged because of the confined quarters and the lack of privacy on such a mission. Thus, it appears that methods involving sublimation are more practical than these more direct alternatives
    https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720008366.pdf pg 38

...why would privacy be a concern for masturbation, but not for having (heterosexual) sex? Wtf, NASA.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Map checks out. Sneakers all the way

"Tennis shoes" always confused me because that sounds so specific... but people use them to mean "any semi-athletic shoe, including sneakers"

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    While this does provide good writing bracketing for my planned lunar amazon noir novel, but then the question come up about biology.

and I'm in a rabbit hole of research articles.

tl;dr 20th century scientists had no idea how the female human body works, I'm strongly suspecting the moon missions succeeded because NASA looked like the Simpson's bloodline.

edit: Mother fuck, who the fuck wrote.....
    The question of direct sexual release on a long-duration space mission must be considered. Practical considerations (such as weight and expense) preclude men taking their wives on the first space flights. It is possible that a woman, qualified from a scientific viewpoint, might be persuaded to donate her time and energies for the sake of improving crew morale; however, such a situation might create interpersonal tensions far more dynamic than the sexual tensions it would release. Other means of sexual release (masturbation, homosexuality) would be discouraged because of the confined quarters and the lack of privacy on such a mission. Thus, it appears that methods involving sublimation are more practical than these more direct alternatives
    https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720008366.pdf pg 38

...why would privacy be a concern for masturbation, but not for having (heterosexual) sex? Wtf, NASA.

Stupid Puritan crap still affecting everyone, still.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Tennis shoes as a catch-all term for training shoes is pretty familiar to me from growing up in the Midwest. It always bugged the hell out of me, though, because most “tennis shoes” would immediately break your ankles if you tried to play tennis wearing them.