As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm fascinated at the idea that they wanted to send a ... well not a prostitute since she was 'donating' her time. Basically a scientifically qualified fuck toy.
    And somebody wrote this down and thought yes, this is a reasonable thing to have in an official document.

Honestly it's made me realise that scifi from that era really plays down the all-enveloping sexism, if anything.

tynic on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Calica wrote: »
    While this does provide good writing bracketing for my planned lunar amazon noir novel, but then the question come up about biology.

and I'm in a rabbit hole of research articles.

tl;dr 20th century scientists had no idea how the female human body works, I'm strongly suspecting the moon missions succeeded because NASA looked like the Simpson's bloodline.

edit: Mother fuck, who the fuck wrote.....
    The question of direct sexual release on a long-duration space mission must be considered. Practical considerations (such as weight and expense) preclude men taking their wives on the first space flights. It is possible that a woman, qualified from a scientific viewpoint, might be persuaded to donate her time and energies for the sake of improving crew morale; however, such a situation might create interpersonal tensions far more dynamic than the sexual tensions it would release. Other means of sexual release (masturbation, homosexuality) would be discouraged because of the confined quarters and the lack of privacy on such a mission. Thus, it appears that methods involving sublimation are more practical than these more direct alternatives
    https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720008366.pdf pg 38

...why would privacy be a concern for masturbation, but not for having (heterosexual) sex? Wtf, NASA.

If anything a big gay astronaut orgy would require the least privacy.

And you can fund the mission by making it a voyer pay site. Name the ship Voyager 3.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    While this does provide good writing bracketing for my planned lunar amazon noir novel, but then the question come up about biology.

tl;dr 20th century scientists had no idea how the female human body works, I'm strongly suspecting the moon missions succeeded because NASA looked like the Simpson's bloodline.

The question of direct sexual release on a long-duration space mission must be considered. Practical considerations (such as weight and expense) preclude men taking their wives on the first space flights. It is possible that a woman, qualified from a scientific viewpoint, might be persuaded to donate her time and energies for the sake of improving crew morale; however, such a situation might create interpersonal tensions far more dynamic than the sexual tensions it would release. Other means of sexual release (masturbation, homosexuality) would be discouraged because of the confined quarters and the lack of privacy on such a mission. Thus, it appears that methods involving sublimation are more practical than these more direct alternatives

...why would privacy be a concern for masturbation, but not for having (heterosexual) sex? Wtf, NASA.

Yeah but this was during the time when people would chant "No homo" like it was a protective charm

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Yeah but this was during the time when people would chant "No homo" like it was a protective charm

If they all chant "no homo" while conducting the orgy, that's one problem sorted.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I like the Old Spaghetti Factory. At least, the one in Denver when I was growing up. That one closed, though, and I'm wondering if it's not as good anymore.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    So I have entered a blissful 36-ish hours. I am unemployed, yet eminently not so. My responsibility load is near zero.

Party, as they say, over here.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Won a sound bar at work for the monthly drawings they do for peak student loan stuff. I can finally have better sound coming from my PC.

Still no idea if I'm permanent or not.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I like the Old Spaghetti Factory. At least, the one in Denver when I was growing up. That one closed, though, and I'm wondering if it's not as good anymore.

I remember going a few times when I was young and have a decent memory of it but we went about a year ago and it was just average. I wouldn't refuse to go there, but there are a pile of places nearby which are much better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

I remember going a few times when I was young and have a decent memory of it but we went about a year ago and it was just average. I wouldn't refuse to go there, but there are a pile of places nearby which are much better.

Old Spaghetti Factory is an acceptable chain pasta place, but yeah - if you've got any local restaurants, they're probably better. It's mostly notable for two things: the mizithra cheese and browned butter pasta (which is almost assuredly HORRID for you) is delicious, and their meal cost (soup or salad, pasta, drink, and dessert) used to be a fantastic deal for what you got - prices went up a couple years ago and it's less so now.

I also imagine quality varies heavily depending on local ownership.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

We went when we were in Indianapolis. We were recommended the pasta in the brown butter sauce with the special cheese. It was over cooked yet cold noodles, the brown butter sauce had no flavor so it just tasted like watery butter and the cheese wouldn't stick to the pasta because it had like no sauce sticking to the pasta so it was just clumps of dry cheese. I got the meatballs on the side which were fine. My wife got their chicken parmesan which was overcooked and rubbery with a breading that slid right off.

the bread was fine.

When we got home we went to this really nice pasta shop in town where we live and it hit the spot that the Old (haunted?) Spaghetti Factory left in our hearts for good pasta.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I call upon the knowledge of the secret Seattle thread! @Weaver @Janson @Moriveth and others who I can't remember right now!

My wife and I are heading up to Seattle in a couple weeks to spend a few days being tourists. I'm looking for out of the way cool things to do besides the big ones. We plan on getting a City Pass, checking out the Art Museum, Space Needle, EMP and harbor cruises.

We also need food recommendations.

My stylist suggested Rocco's Pizza, Alchemy, and Biscuit Bitch.

Edit, also apparently a great donut place down by the Ferry.l

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I should probably call my converses sneakers since I can accidentally walk so quietly I regularly scare people at work without trying.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Biscuit Bitch is so good. Can't wait to eat there again at PAX in a couple weeks.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I should probably call my converses sneakers since I can accidentally walk so quietly I regularly scare people at work without trying.

I am not a small or particularly stealthy dude, but my employees have threatened to put a bell on me because I apparently have a habit of looming up from unexpected vectors.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    what i did at work today is make sure i was the first person in town to be able to do this from home

8496187647.png

and then a whole bunch of other work bullshit happened and i don't get to enjoy anything

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Biscuit Bitch is so good. Can't wait to eat there again at PAX in a couple weeks.

Right near biscuit bitch is a pieroshki place that is also aces. I was also a fan of the crumpet shop down towards the market. Really depends on you wanting a crumpet though.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    My standing Seattle food recommendation is Le Pichet

If you wind up in Fremont at any point, Paseo has sandwiches that will change your life

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    just now I found a printed sheet of paper with a data/harddrive key on it (in a tub, in a cupboard).
    - it didn't even cover a tenth of the actual harddrives I have sitting here
    - it doesn't list any of the data from 2019 even though he only made the key a month ago.

I'd guess that it's not a key. Instead, it's an encrypted message meant to look like a key. *adjusts tin foil hat*

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    @webguy20 borachinni's on rainier......you're not diabetic, overweight, or allergic to nuts, right?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm overweight, but I've never let it stop me before. :P

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I got new shoes and they don't squeak. Such sublime silence.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    does anyone use canvas LMS?

i was at the sydney conference today and it was surprisingly swish and generous. full catering, swag and beers

almost made up for the reverse inspiration of the presenters, who largely made the whole platform feel like the administrative wasteland these large-scale digital classrooms necessarily are

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm overweight, but I've never let it stop me before. :P

I'll put it this way, it Will allow you the carbs to run the I 90 bridge

Sweet sugary Italian carbs

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

i was at the sydney conference today and it was surprisingly swish and generous. full catering, swag and beers

almost made up for the reverse inspiration of the presenters, who largely made the whole platform feel like the administrative wasteland these large-scale digital classrooms necessarily are

@bsjezz

We use Sakai at my workplace. However, given the opinions on that, I'm sure my functionals have evaluated other LMS's.

If you'd like, I can reach out to a couple of them and see if they have opinions/thoughts on it?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Did kicks die out?

Wasn't that the 50's?

Anecdotally at least, here in california "kicks" was used pretty regularly between 2000-2005, at which point I stopped paying attention

Well, Pumped Up Kicks is from 2010 and still gets some airtime I think.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Does anyone have an idea of something I can use to dump a bunch of photos into and have it make a slideshow of them with added music besides powerpoint? I have to make a thing for freshman first day tomorrow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    "Kicks" referring to shoes in general goes back at least to the start of the 20th century, and for referring specifically to sneakers/tennis shoes shows up around the 80s in the rap/hip hop scene, with most kicks being fresh and/or dope

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

If you'd like, I can reach out to a couple of them and see if they have opinions/thoughts on it?

thanks for the offer; sounds like we're pretty well committed to a canvas rollout next year (from moodle, an open source platform probably like sakai). guess the sales guy made a good pitch...

honestly i can see the potential in platforms like this but it requires a logistically nightmarish level of consistent practice from teachers. that's what was clear from the presenters today, almost all of whom had big ideas that functionally were barely off the ground, or had been promptly scaled back. if that's the experience of those hand-picked to present at the APAC regional conference, i'm sceptical

frankly at this stage my ambition is now simply to replicate what we've already been doing with the open source software with the new paid software, and prepare to explain to half of the faculty how to do it and why we have to

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Does anyone have an idea of something I can use to dump a bunch of photos into and have it make a slideshow of them with added music besides powerpoint? I have to make a thing for freshman first day tomorrow.

Prezi ?

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

IrfanView has been able to do a slideshow based on a folder of pictures for years now. There's a plugin you can get that adds MP3 support to the generated slideshows (exe/scr)
    Q: How can I add background sound for automatic slideshow or EXE/SCR?
    A: In the slideshow dialog put/add MP3 files into the slideshow file list, usually at the begin or before an image. The MP3 file is played until it ends or until next MP3 is loaded from the file list. IrfanView PlugIns should be also installed, at least the MP3 PlugIn.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

thanks for the offer; sounds like we're pretty well committed to a canvas rollout next year (from moodle, an open source platform probably like sakai). guess the sales guy made a good pitch...

honestly i can see the potential in platforms like this but it requires a logistically nightmarish level of consistent practice from teachers. that's what was clear from the presenters today, almost all of whom had big ideas that functionally were barely off the ground, or had been promptly scaled back. if that's the experience of those hand-picked to present at the APAC regional conference, i'm sceptical

frankly at this stage my ambition is now simply to replicate what we've already been doing with the open source software with the new paid software, and prepare to explain to half of the faculty how to do it and why we have to

no problem.

The functionals I talked about are literally a group on campus dedicated to teaching Teachers how to use sakai and other tools. And even then it's hit and miss on the faculty implementing things.

Something to keep in mind: A learning management system is one of your core competences. It's literally the service you are selling, and it should be treated with that much love and attention. It is one of those things that differentiates you from your competition. Needless to say, it is very much worth something to dump resources in.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

IrfanView has been able to do a slideshow based on a folder of pictures for years now. There's a plugin you can get that adds MP3 support to the generated slideshows (exe/scr)
    A: In the slideshow dialog put/add MP3 files into the slideshow file list, usually at the begin or before an image. The MP3 file is played until it ends or until next MP3 is loaded from the file list. IrfanView PlugIns should be also installed, at least the MP3 PlugIn.

Ifran view is just so good. Quick opening, handles most files, can do a quick crop faster than anything else will open, and it's free. Ifran view makes me feel the same way a good hammer does.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Ifran view is just so good. Quick opening, handles most files, can do a quick crop faster than anything else will open, and it's free. Ifran view makes me feel the same way a good hammer does.

I actually paid them money for it because it was so well done. Though that is an embarrassingly long time ago now that I think about it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My only issue with Irfanview is that it wants to open every file type but will crash itself when it tries to open webm formats

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    My only issue with Irfanview is that it wants to open every file type but will crash itself when it tries to open webm formats

Awww man that's the one format I'm mainly interested about. It doesn't play nice with them? Because if it can do that plus gifs and whatnot I'll download and install that in a heartbeat.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    First job of the day is an almost two hour drive to transfer a QuickBooks data file and install it on their new Mac. Yuck.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Okay it seems like keeping all the lights off in this office so it is going to be a cave is a thing...

Any desk lamp recommendations?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Just turn the lights on.

That’s unreasonable as fuck and arguably unsafe.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

It's one of the first five things I download and install every time I'm on a fresh Windows install.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Honestly I'd prefer to work in a cave, normal office lighting is too bright for me.