Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let's get this [job] thread!

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Mc zany wrote: »
    I had a poster made to hang outside my office.

Entertainment tech?

Leftover from a previous configuration of the building I believe. I've got the square bits necessary to change out the sign, I just haven't decided what it should say yet.

"Chief Inquisitor's Interrogation Dungeon"?

Given the political climate towards latinx people in the US and that my schools population is nearly 100% that, would probably get me in some trouble.

There are buildings I've been in where I would have done that on April Fools or Halloween or something though.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    We've been on a lockout for 90 minutes now. I just looked out a window and saw a cop in tac gear and a rifle patrolling the outside of the building. Guess this isn't our beginning of year drill.

Jeez. Take care of yourself.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    tynictimspork's ghostCormacSporkAndrewexpendableTofystedethI ZimbraDavid_TNightDragonjgeisDarkPrimusSolarZonugal3clipseElaroAngelHedgieKayne Red RobePeenGnome-InterruptusGoose!Drake ChambersDisruptedCapitalistSkeithKetarStiltsmightyjongyoTonkkakimeJaysonFourRoyceSraphimani_game_bumthatassemblyguyDarth WaitersarukunSorceThegreatcowstopgapSlacker71JragghenElvenshaeL Ron HowardgodmodeCalica
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've been on a lockout for 90 minutes now. I just looked out a window and saw a cop in tac gear and a rifle patrolling the outside of the building. Guess this isn't our beginning of year drill.

Jeez. Take care of yourself.

yeah so - sometimes a username is not a suggested occupation
    keep safe!

expendableTofystedethZonugalDrZiplockSleepN1tSt4lker3clipseAngelHedgieKayne Red RobeJansonGoose!Drake ChambersDisruptedCapitalistSkeithmightyjongyoTonkkathatassemblyguysarukunSorceThegreatcowSlacker71L Ron HowardCalica
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Ah.

Good point.

"Sex Dungeon" it is, then!

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The legacy of Toilet Jester continues. Boss is over there cleaning out his cubicle, and in the bottom drawer of his filing cabinet found a plastic bag full of little sandwiches.

Chicken salad sandwiches.

From a luncheon back in June.

I don't know exactly what chemical processes have been going on in there, but the bag is swollen like a corpse dredged out of a swamp. I offered my boss $5 to open it up and take a deep breath, but he's like "I think the fumes would set off the fire alarms." Coward.
    Get some hairspray, a lighter, and a biohazard mask.

Go to the middle of the parking lot and let that shit burn

I think I know which one of the above you're referring to, but the advice can work for both.

steam_sig.png
    twitch.tv/kragaar
    tynicTofystedethCommander ZoomBobble3clipsemightyjongyoRoyceSraphimsarukunThegreatcowElvenshaeL Ron Howard
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular

Oh shit, stay safe!

edited September 11
    Thanks all.

The admin have largely stopped using the radio aside from arranging to meet up for a discussion somewhere, but I have gleaned the following things:

1) They're making sure the cafeteria has enough food to feed all students for lunch (they do). Normally it's open campus for upperclassmen, and a large contingent of the population also takes college classes at a nearby campus.

2) There's some planning going on regarding transporting students to and from that campus. Based on previous experience, this will mean searches by the police for any students coming in.

I think a threat was made against the school since the lockout began right at the beginning of the day. This is not the first time a threat has been made against a school with a majority minority population in this area on or around 9/11 or when the president gets particularly racist. I'll be fine.

I'll still be careful. My duty in this situation is to watch a set of doors on the second floor that lead to a stairwell with exterior doors at the bottom, mostly to keep students from exiting or trying to open them. All of the doors are alarmed, so if somebody enters the stairwell on the first floor I'll hear it. I'm two steps from my office door, which is open but the door is locked. I'm at the end of the hall, so if somehow somebody gets past several checkpoints and most of the way through the building without the alert going up, I can either make it to my office, one of the two classrooms also two steps away, or flee down the alarmed stairs. I have a radio as well.

It's exceedingly unlikely anything happens. If it does, the only complicating factor to my safety is the presence of students when said something is happening. The protocol is that I shut the door immediately if I can identify a threat, but I'm not sure I could live with cutting fleeing kids off. Or with getting kids already in the room hurt because I kept it open a moment too long.

But nothing will happen because this is more than likely just somebody being a dipshit because of the date again.

edit: I have been informed that a former student made a threat against a current student that included shooting him or her at the school. There's apparently a picture of this person which I have not seen, but it was described to me as "Latino in a hat." I won't worry about it since I'm on the 2nd floor and the police are handling anybody entering or exiting the building.

expendable on
    Steam
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Someone else pumping gas for me really weirds me out.

Growing up, I was always super impressed with it because it was only at the "Full Service" pumps, and my parents would never pay for that. My grandmother did, though, and it always made me feel super special.

• timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Someone else pumping gas for me really weirds me out.

Growing up, I was always super impressed with it because it was only at the "Full Service" pumps, and my parents would never pay for that. My grandmother did, though, and it always made me feel super special.

I never saw anyone use the full service spots at gas stations so it was always a very strange concept and then they stopped having them not long after that.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork

BobbleRoyceSraphimMulysaSemproniusThegreatcow
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife got a new job! Its a 10k a year raise and its in the field she got her masters in. And the school says that since shes working towards her doctorate she can start building towards a higher position.

Now she has to put her two weeks in and actually go to work for 2 weeks

tynicMorivethAnon the Felontimspork's ghostDevoutlyApatheticbowenLaOsexpendableCommander ZoomBobbleRadiationNightDragonCormacLuvTheMonkeyProlegomenaI ZimbraKwoaruDidgeridooPolaritieTofystedeth3clipseDoodmannNobodywebguy20The Hanged ManchromdomMrGrimoireLiiyaNaphtaliDouglasDangerDavid_TLabelKayne Red RobeDysStragintBrovid HasselsmofPeenJansonGnome-InterruptusGoose!Drake ChambersDisruptedCapitalistSkeithKetarmightyjongyoGnizmoTonkkaJedockimeJaysonFourMoridin889RoyceSraphimani_game_bumIloveslimesMulysaSemproniusthatassemblyguyDarth WaiterFishmanschusslonelyahavasarukunSporkAndrewSorceFrylockHolmeschrishallett83PlatyThegreatcowThrostopgapSlacker71balerbowerJragghenElvenshaeL Ron HowardgodmodeToxCalica
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    81j8kd183krs.jpg

Oh bother.

RadiationbowenZonugal3clipseTynnanDoodmannwebguy20The Hanged ManchromdomtynicCommander ZoomDouglasDangerBobbleGnome-InterruptusCormacAnon the FelonDrake ChambersDisruptedCapitalistSkeithKruitemightyjongyoTonkkaJedocStiltsjgeisJaysonFourRoyceSraphimMoridin889ani_game_bumInquisitor77thatassemblyguyDarth WaiterFishmanschussJoolandersarukunSporkAndrewSorcechrishallett83ThegreatcowThrostopgapSlacker71DynagripJragghenL Ron HowardgodmodeTox
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Pft, some superglue will fix that thing right up.
    Maybe some duck tape as well.

PSN: jfrofl
    OrcaMulysaSempronius
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Sadly it's going to need a replacement part. 1500 pounds worth of replacement part.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    JB Weld is the farmer's super glue. Just use a few tubes of that.

Or try your hand at welding.

JB Weld is the farmer's super glue. Just use a few tubes of that.

Or try your hand at welding.

Psht. Just wrap it with baling wire.

Steam
    OrcaProlegomenabowenchrishallett83Slacker71
  • MorivethMoriveth ESCA FLOWNERegistered User regular
    Put some cinderblocks on it.

bowenDisruptedCapitalistSlacker71Elvenshae
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I know where you can get some of those:
    Brolo wrote: »
    It'd have to be something like that wonderfully sweary cinder-block advert that went round a while back. "Come get your shit bricks. Guaranteed to probably last the trip home without cracking in two"

5BUNDPK.jpg

PSN: jfrofl
    MorivethGnome-InterruptusbowenKruitemightyjongyokimeBucketmanMvrckRoyceSraphimMoridin889ani_game_bumZonugalInquisitor77Darth WaiterOghulkSporkAndrewSorceThegreatcowThroSlacker71ElvenshaeL Ron HowardgodmodeCalica
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    More trivia learned today - not only does Oregon not have a specific road rage statute, it's the only state in the US that empowers citizens to issue their own traffic citations.

Of course it's a total pain in the ass, police don't know about it because it's so rarely used, and it's probably not worth your time as a citizen.

Hooray, Oregon!

That's weird. Oregon doesn't even empower citizens to pump their own gas.

It's a wild place of many contradictions. Most people think of Portland and its extreme blueness as representative of the state, but you don't have to travel far to find that geographically the vast majority of the state is peopled by potential wildlife refuge occupiers.

Even though Portland is super blue, I'd heard its police department is stained deep red when it comes to protests

Oregon was literally born as White Supremacy: The State. This colors a lot of the state's structure, even today.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    JansonDoodmannDrZiplockCommander ZoomDrake ChambersSkeithTonkkaRoyceSraphimMoridin889ZonugalThegreatcowSlacker71CimmeriiJragghenLabel
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 11
    Madican wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    More trivia learned today - not only does Oregon not have a specific road rage statute, it's the only state in the US that empowers citizens to issue their own traffic citations.

Of course it's a total pain in the ass, police don't know about it because it's so rarely used, and it's probably not worth your time as a citizen.

Hooray, Oregon!

That's weird. Oregon doesn't even empower citizens to pump their own gas.

It's a wild place of many contradictions. Most people think of Portland and its extreme blueness as representative of the state, but you don't have to travel far to find that geographically the vast majority of the state is peopled by potential wildlife refuge occupiers.

Even though Portland is super blue, I'd heard its police department is stained deep red when it comes to protests

Oregon was literally born as White Supremacy: The State. This colors a lot of the state's structure, even today.

Something they never taught us in school (at least back in the 70s and 80s), wonder why.

P.S. My middle school class had one visibly non-white (Hispanic) student.

Commander Zoom on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    Doodmann3clipseRoyceSraphimOrca
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Sadly it's going to need a replacement part. 1500 pounds worth of replacement part.

Man, what kind of load is that under? Corrosion (non-painted spots look like wear)? That's an awesome metal tear. I've never seen something that thick rip like that. Worst I've seen is a 1'sq piece of 3/16" ripping in half across a hole, which felt insane at the time because.... You know... I kinda expect deformation before failure.

DoodmannRadiation
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My wife got a new job! Its a 10k a year raise and its in the field she got her masters in. And the school says that since shes working towards her doctorate she can start building towards a higher position.

Now she has to put her two weeks in and actually go to work for 2 weeks

Heck yeah!

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-5618-5257-5789 | Amazon Smile List
    LaOsBucketmanRoyceSraphimani_game_bumSorceElvenshae
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist rugged, weathered Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Had two kids tell me they put me down as their favourite teacher.

Then one of them disclosed self harm to me.

My day!

Oh shit! Does your school have social services that can help this kid??

LiiyaRoyceSraphimSlacker71Elvenshae
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    This morning I left my house at 6:30, expecting to arrive at my destination around 7:00. I use my GPS even during my commute because it's good for rerouting around traffic, but sometimes it just stops tracking traffic and I don't notice until it's too late. So this morning I pulled on to the freeway and then stopped at the end of a column stretching beyond sight. Yep, traffic services weren't updating. Took 2 1/2 hours to finish a 25 minute drive.

Happy Wednesday!

• BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I got asked for my references! So that's not a no!

I have no idea how I would answer this question now

Generally if you don't have any managers on good terms you use personal refs. And while a recent ref is preferable you can generally do some digging back too, my impression is refs are just to check nothing is hidden vs actually still looking for a reason to hire/reject.

There is only one of the people as a manager I feel that would give me good terms as for personal is the problem I have no idea how to fill that out as I said I know no one outside of my brother

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Well work owes me 2 lunches now and since I still haven't seen evidence I'm getting the first meal I missed chances are I will not be getting the second one, either.

Getting real tired of this shit.

Also getting real hungry.

Juggernut wrote: »
    Well work owes me 2 lunches now and since I still haven't seen evidence I'm getting the first meal I missed chances are I will not be getting the second one, either.

Getting real tired of this shit.

Also getting real hungry.

Assert your dominance; eat your manager.

Steam
    3clipseTonkkaJedockimeMrGrimoireGnome-InterruptusRoyceSraphimMoridin889ZonugalMulysaSemproniusSkeithsarukunSporkAndrewSorceBobbleChallSlacker71ElvenshaeL Ron Howard
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular

Man, what kind of load is that under? Corrosion (non-painted spots look like wear)? That's an awesome metal tear. I've never seen something that thick rip like that. Worst I've seen is a 1'sq piece of 3/16" ripping in half across a hole, which felt insane at the time because.... You know... I kinda expect deformation before failure.

My guess is it's just metal fatigue? That rip seems to be right above the sleeve. But yeah I absolutely would have expected warping first.

Anon the Felon
    That must have made quite the noise.

steam_sig.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Then the fuck is their usual course of business?

N1tSt4lkerDouglasDangerbowenBobble
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'll take "cringily problematic appropriation" for $1000, Alex.

Asking as someone from the UK: is / was Motown in the US a genre of music kind of exclusively based around African American communities?

Over here Motown is associated with northern soul music (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul) and it wouldn't be considered cultural appropriation to go to a Motown/northern soul night here.

Solar
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 11
    Ten gets you twenty that they'll argue they're a tech company that develops software. The driving is just an effect of the software the develop, not a service they provide.

Anon the Felon on
    kimeSleep3clipseLaOsDarkPrimustynicAngelHedgieRoyceSraphimMoridin889ZonugalOrcaBucketmanthatassemblyguyTofystedethDarth WaiterJoolanderN1tSt4lkerKayne Red RobeMvrckOghulkchromdomlonelyahavaSkeithSporkAndrewSorcechrishallett83bowenstopgapThegreatcowBobbleSlacker71ElvenshaeL Ron HowardgodmodeToxLabelCalica
    edited September 11
    Bucketman wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

Then the fuck is their usual course of business?

Something something technology platform, supposedly.
    Which I guess translates to "inventing self-driving cars ASAP so we can get rid of drivers entirely".
    (until then, we just won't pay them.)

Commander Zoom on
    steam_sig.png
    BucketmanthatassemblyguyTofystedeth
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ten gets you twenty that they'll argue they're a tech company that develops software. The driving is just an effect of the software the develop, not a service they provide.

Transport Communication Facilitator or something is the term they're going with. See, the primary thing they do is communicate for you.

....I know all those ads I saw from Uber talking about their excellent communication services.

thatassemblyguyElvenshae
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Asking as someone from the UK: is / was Motown in the US a genre of music kind of exclusively based around African American communities?

Over here Motown is associated with northern soul music (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul) and it wouldn't be considered cultural appropriation to go to a Motown/northern soul night here.

Motown is heavily associated with black communities and culture in the US, yes.

I mean, I'd take Nick Offerman's spikey cat dick willingly
    Commander ZoomMorivethDevoutlyApatheticDarkPrimusTynnanRoyceSraphimMoridin889NightDragonthatassemblyguyWeaverN1tSt4lkerMvrcksarukunSkeithchrishallett83BobbleSlacker71ASimPersonElvenshaeL Ron Howard
    3clipse wrote: »

Was there zero mixing of communities?

Family members of mine attended Motown and northern soul in the 60s and it was always very mixed races - I just assumed it was the same across the pond.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Yeah, their positioning is that they provide a variety of services and that they're a tech service provider, not a specifically a transportation company.

They've been laying that groundwork forever. In tax and legal documents between drivers and Uber they refer to the drivers as customers.

[
    Gnome-Interruptus
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Family members of mine attended Motown and northern soul in the 60s and it was always very mixed races - I just assumed it was the same across the pond.

Motown definitely played an important role in integrating the music of the black and white communities in the US, but the ownership and creation of it lie very firmly in the black community, so to throw a party themed for it but entirely attended by white people is arguably fairly appropriative (in the context of US racial politics - I could not possibly, and would not presume to, speak to UK culture on this).

I mean, I'd take Nick Offerman's spikey cat dick willingly
    OrcathatassemblyguyN1tSt4lkerchromdomsarukunBobbleSlacker71L Ron Howard
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular

Yeah the racial politics of the 60s in the US were... strained to put it far too nicely.

3clipseCommander ZoomRoyceSraphimMoridin889ZonugalGnome-InterruptusDisruptedCapitalistthatassemblyguyN1tSt4lkersarukunSkeithSorceJragghenCalica
    That clarifies things a lot - thanks guys!