Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let's get this [job] thread!

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My supply contact at company HQ uses smilies in her emails.

This shouldn't bother me, yet every time I see it I glower at my screen so hard.

hCpR4ri.jpg
    Steam: weavermatic xbox: weavermatico
    Al_watBucketmanBobblelonelyahavaSlacker71
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    stopgap wrote: »
    I feel fairly crappy today. Don't accidentally cold turkey yourself off your meds, kids.

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but after seeing your posts I set a follow up with my med guy before I ran out of anxiety medicine so thanks a lot!

Do... do you not just mean "my doctor"? Do you buy street anti anxiety meds?

I mean my psychiatrist, i just didnt want to try and spell psychiatrist.

steam_sig.png
    Kayne Red RobeBucketmanmightyjongyoElvenshaeCalicaMrMonroeNightDragonTynnanSlacker71
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Update: Still no money in my budget. Paychecks still coming. Our emails to the admin are getting returned due to "full inboxes" so I guess we aren't the only ones.

I'm running negative triple digits of taxpayer money right now.

I sorta feel like it might be a good idea for folks with direct deposit to not leave the money in that account.

That's not how university financing works. Essentially we always are running at a deficit. Until something says to stop paying, the University keeps paying out what is promised. Even when that money doesn't exist, because it will eventually be comp'd by the state. The fact no one knows or will decide upon who is covering this money owed for our salaries, phones, power, etc. isn't an us problem in that regard. But it is a big problem for the university, because someone will have to pay it. Somewhere. Maybe that's robbing from another unit. Maybe thats an across the board cut one year. Who knows.

But the checks now will always clear until we are formally fired, reorg'd, or supported. The budget for next year, and the years after, who knows?

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    My supply contact at company HQ uses smilies in her emails.

This shouldn't bother me, yet every time I see it I glower at my screen so hard.

Try responding with a :mad:

steam_sig.png
    Dynagrip
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The perceived need for women to use weaker language and things like smilies in their email correspondence is real; I have seen it a lot in all of the jobs I have worked both from coworkers and other businesses, so I wouldn’t be too harsh.

sig.jpg
    Kayne Red RobeDouglasDangerEnctynic3clipseDidgeridooN1tSt4lkerBobblewebguy20thatassemblyguyCellokimestopgapJaysonFourCalicaNightDragonGnizmoToxlonelyahavaSkeithLiiyaRoyceSraphimSlacker71balerbowerchrishallett83
    I'm actively trying to not let it bother me!

This day is just piling on though. Somebody burnt tuna in the breakroom and the smell started pumping out through the vent in my office.

hCpR4ri.jpg
    webguy20ElvenshaeTonkkaSlacker71
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Yes, but tell that to his anxiety (which I am sincerely glad you are seeking medication for, @Stragint ).

I'm just hoping I can get a refill before I run out.

I also don't know how I'm supposed to feel on these so I don't know how to tell if they are working or not.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    Okay guys, come on - the filters and the coffee ground packets are right there in the open

Don't be pulling this shit where no one thinks its a good idea to start a new pot! Common courtesy, people

Al_watBucketmanOrca
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    Okay guys, come on - the filters and the coffee ground packets are right there in the open

Don't be pulling this shit where no one thinks its a good idea to start a new pot! Common courtesy, people

rbl00z20x7pl.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    ShortymightyjongyoSolarBucketmanrhylithElvenshaeTofystedethKruitekime3clipseThegreatcowCommander ZoomJaysonFourCalicaTonkkaSkeith
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    Too many motherfuckers not making new pots of coffee when a pot is down to the dregs.

Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
    mightyjongyoBucketmanthatassemblyguyDouglasDanger3clipseCommander ZoomASimPersonTonkkaSorceTynnanNaphtali
  • MorivethMoriveth ESCA FLOWNERegistered User regular
    I just made a fresh pot of coffee when I had drained the last one!

Also, training the new staff assistant is going well. She's real smart and willing to learn everything she can.

Weirdly, it's been kind of a slowish week so far, so I'm finding myself saving work that comes to me so I can show her how to do it, or have her do it on her own.

ElvenshaeJansonmightyjongyostopgapCommander ZoomCalicaTonkkaDynagripSkeithSlacker71
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Everyday. I went to get some coffee the other day and my boss was getting a new pot together "You'd think people would be courteous enough to put a new pot on." I shrugged and replied 'The only way to guarantee coffee is to first make a universe where the coffee fills itself'. This confused him and he just grunted in response.

ElvenshaemightyjongyoJedocCalicaTonkkaTynnansarukun
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Too many motherfuckers not making new pots of coffee when a pot is down to the dregs.

I'm at work so someone please insert the relevant Terry Tate Office Linebacker video here.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    rhylithBobbleMadicanJayKaosThe Escape GoatAistanBucketmanJaysonFourDynagripSorcesarukunchrishallett83
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Gotcha covered:

JayKaosDarkPrimusBobbleBucketmanCommander ZoomASimPersonTonkkaSorcesarukun
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited October 9
    A dev I work with is having an issue where our antivirus is deleting/quarantining programs he compiles from source.

Does he talk to IT about it? No

Does he send an email to my boss urgently asking me to talk to IT about it on his behalf, even though he's the only fucking person who has the issue? Yes

Does he then also leave to office for like 3 hours for some damn reason so none of us can get in touch with him? Also yes

Is he pissy when he gets back that I didn't talk to IT for him and he has to actually do it himself? Also yes

Smurph on
    KwoaruJedocWorsel96ElvenshaeAl_watJoolanderBobbleCambiatastopgapBucketmanCommander ZoomKayne Red RobeJaysonFourgodmodeCalicaTonkkaGnizmoSporkAndrewOghulksarukunRoyceSraphimSlacker71chrishallett83
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    Another coffee gripe - if your office has more than one kind of coffee, brew the right coffee in the right pot you assholes.

Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
    mightyjongyoElvenshaeBucketmanASimPersonsarukunSlacker71DynagripNaphtali
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Yes, but tell that to his anxiety (which I am sincerely glad you are seeking medication for, @Stragint ).

I'm just hoping I can get a refill before I run out.

I also don't know how I'm supposed to feel on these so I don't know how to tell if they are working or not.

"Less anxious", hopefully

Try keeping a notebook where you just log - very briefly - every time you have anxiety symptoms, however those manifest for you (from your posts here looks like eg irrational fears/ obsessive or intrusive thoughts/ task fixation or lack of ability to prioritise - your psychiatrist or therapist should be able to give you a more accurate list of things to watch out for), and if they stopped you doing anything, or you felt compelled to do something. Then over time you can get some kind of indication about whether either the incidence or severity (or both) have decreased on the medication.

(i am not a doctor etc etc)

Commander ZoomDisruptedCapitalistchrishallett83
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dear jab thread, I got my flu shot today, because work is offering them for free.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    JansontynicthatassemblyguyDevoutlyApatheticThe Escape GoatbowenDarkPrimusDrZiplockTofystedethJedocmightyjongyokimeElvenshae3clipsewebguy20BobblestopgapBucketmanMoridin889JaysonFourCalicaTonkkaGnizmoSorceSkeithTynnanRoyceSraphimSlacker71chrishallett83
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Dear jab thread, I got my flu shot today, because work is offering them for free.

Hi5 I also got mine just now.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
    GnizmoTynnanSlacker71
    Annual reminder to all the healthy adults who have a healthy immune system to get their flu shots so they don't fall victim to cytokine storms!

CuvisTheConquerorDoodmannJedockimeElvenshae3clipsewebguy20BucketmanCalicaTonkkaTynnanSlacker71chrishallett83
    related: who's got two thumbs and micoplasmic pneumonia

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    The perceived need for women to use weaker language and things like smilies in their email correspondence is real; I have seen it a lot in all of the jobs I have worked both from coworkers and other businesses, so I wouldn’t be too harsh.

I never used to and tried to strike a more professional tone in most of my work e-mails, but have started being a lot more loose with using smilies because yeah, it turns out some people will take the tone of a professional-sounding email entirely wrong, even if I dial it back for coworkers I can be more casual with

I've seen coworkers throw tantrums and delay projects for weeks because of a perceived harsh tone to an email which was not the intent of the sender (who was more of a technical guy and therefore writes a lot more coldly than he comes across in real life)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Janson
    Yesterday I got an email from my supervisor consisting of nothing but a head shaking emoji. Even more perplexing, it was a reply to an email from me which simply said "3pm is fine!"

Riddle me THAT, professional communication.

JedocDrZiplockElvenshae3clipseCelloJansonBucketmanMoridin889DisruptedCapitalistJaysonFourgodmodeCalicaASimPersonTonkkaGnizmoSporkAndrewSkeithOghulkTynnanRoyceSraphimSlacker71chrishallett83
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When they would remake coffee at Walmart they would use two or three of those coffee packets so it had a certain strong flavor

• ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

that sounds bad!

Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
    TofystedethJedocElvenshae3clipsehonoverewebguy20CellobowenBucketmangodmodeCalicaschussTonkkaSporkAndrewlonelyahavaSkeithTynnansarukunRoyceSraphimSlacker71Fishmanchrishallett83
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular

Presumably most everyone who has microplasmic pneumonia, though it could be less than 100% depending on how often they use power tools and their safety practices.

steam_sig.png
    tynickimeElvenshaeCelloMoridin889MulysaSemproniusSlacker71
    edited October 9
    Shorty wrote: »

that sounds bad!

It's actually the best kind of pneumonia! Well, least debilitating anyway. About the only thing it stops me doing is moderate to strenuous cardio.
    Still annoying, though. And from past experience, the antibiotics to treat it do a fucking number on my stomach.
    Presumably most everyone who has microplasmic pneumonia, though it could be less than 100% depending on how often they use power tools and their safety practices.

Sounds like SOMEONE hasn't met Coughing Jeremy, the ex-lumberjack.

edit: that joke was workshopped in real time, hope you all appreciate the craft

tynic on
    ShortyElvenshaeDrZiplock3clipseAngelHedgieCelloJansonBucketmanDrake ChambersCommander ZoomTofystedethDisruptedCapitalistJaysonFourgodmodeCalicaschussTonkkaGnizmoSporkAndrewSkeithTynnansarukunRoyceSraphimSlacker71chrishallett83
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    I've had the Ghostbusters orchestral score just playing low key from my phone all day to go with my outfit. It is like I have my own musical accompaniment. Students have been very confused.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork

ElvenshaechromdomBucketmanKayne Red RobeJedocTofystedeththatassemblyguykimeJaysonFourgodmodeCalicaLaOsTonkkaN1tSt4lkerMrGrimoireSporkAndrewSorceani_game_bumsarukunRoyceSraphimSlacker71Cormacchrishallett83
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    professional communication is joke

emojis all day every day and throw a few swears in there for good measure

zkHcp.jpg
    tynicBucketmanGvzbgulMadpoetschussTonkkaGnizmoTynnanSlacker71chrishallett83
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    I guarantee you everyone I exchange emails with thinks I am constantly furious

which is mostly true! but usually for reasons unrelated to whatever we're talking about.

Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
    lonelyahava
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 9
    one of the supervisors at my work is famous for sending emails WITH A LOT OF CAPS and pictures with red arrows drawn all over them to upper management and other departments about how they are all wrong about whatever issue

He's usually correct in what hes saying, but his messaging isn't taken in the best light. Personally I find it hilarious

Al_wat on
    PSN: AWATTT66| XBox Live: AWATTT66| Steam: AL-WAT| Battle.Net: ALWATTS #1320
    Origin: aiwatt| Switch: SW-8499-0918-5960
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    one of the supervisors at my work is famous for sending emails WITH A LOT OF CAPS and pictures with red arrows drawn all over them to upper management and other departments about how they are all wrong about whatever issue

He's usually correct in what hes saying, but his messaging isn't taken in the best light. Personally I find it hilarious

Are there circles to go with the arrows? 8x10 color glossy photos with a paragraph on the back explaining what each one is?

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    TofystedethAl_watOrcaSlacker71
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    About the only thing that genuinely annoys me in emails is changing the fonts or colors to something hard to read.

I mean, I'd take Nick Offerman's spikey cat dick willingly
    bowenN1tSt4lkerchrishallett83
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    About the only thing that genuinely annoys me in emails is changing the fonts or colors to something hard to read.

We ll it co ul db ew wo sr eI di do ne cw ri te an em ai lt hi sw ay to an no ys so me on e.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

We ll it co ul db ew wo sr eI di do ne cw ri te an em ai lt hi sw ay to an no ys so me on e.

You monster, that's bad enough without typos!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    mightyjongyostopgapCommander ZoomMulysaSemproniusTonkkaOrcaJoolanderOghulksarukunSlacker71Goose!
    Any kind of pneumonia deserves 4 weeks off from work or school and endless naps and soup during that period change my mind

BucketmanJanson3clipseJaysonFourOrcaGoose!chrishallett83
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Any kind of pneumonia deserves 4 weeks off from work or school and endless naps and soup during that period change my mind

Have you considered 5 weeks?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    bowenOrcaSporkAndrewsarukunGoose!
    bowen wrote: »

normally I'd disagree but damn I could really go a nap right now.

bowenGoose!
    I just unfucked a massive scheduling disaster that threatened my upcoming vacation. Everything is good now.

hCpR4ri.jpg
    BucketmanJansonexpendable3clipseDrake ChambersJedocTofystedethkimeElvenshaewebguy20JaysonFourCalicastopgapTonkkaMoridin889Curly_BraceMrGrimoirechromdomSorceSkeithBobbleTynnanani_game_bumsarukunRoyceSraphimSlacker71DynagripGoose!FishmanCormacchrishallett83
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    I've had the Ghostbusters orchestral score just playing low key from my phone all day to go with my outfit. It is like I have my own musical accompaniment. Students have been very confused.

Also you better believe I denied there being any music.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork

kimeElvenshaeDarkPrimusCalicaLaOsOrcaMoridin889N1tSt4lkerBucketmanSleepGnizmoJoolanderchromdomSporkAndrewSorceBobbleThegreatcowTynnanIloveslimesani_game_bumShortysarukunRoyceSraphimSlacker71Goose!chrishallett83