Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I hate you, Geth. A [chat].

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    i have a product design that I want to test but have no idea how
    i need to design a polypropylene or polystyrene mold but like how do you order a prototype of something

Option 1) Pay an outsourced product developer (like me!). They take a loose spec and develop a design which they then prototype. This is super expensive (Like £1-2k/day)
    Option 2) Do the design yourself (use whatever google sketchup became) and send to a prototype house (ones local to me that I've used include https://www.prototypeprojects.com/ and https://uk.3dsystems.com , the latter are big and might have something local to you). This will cost you a few grand all in.
    Option 3) Find a local guy who owns a workshop and will knock you something up based on a sketch. This is cheap (it'll cost a few hundred) but it's a pain to find one and even harder to know how good they are. We've got a couple that we use but they'll all super local and it's only for when our workshop is busy

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud bear with us as we do some "rebranding" Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    i need to design a polypropylene or polystyrene mold but like how do you order a prototype of something

Option 1) Pay an outsourced product developer (like me!). They take a loose spec and develop a design which they then prototype. This is super expensive (Like £1-2k/day)
    Option 2) Do the design yourself (use whatever google sketchup became) and send to a prototype house (ones local to me that I've used include https://www.prototypeprojects.com/ and https://uk.3dsystems.com , the latter are big and might have something local to you). This will cost you a few grand all in.
    Option 3) Find a local guy who owns a workshop and will knock you something up based on a sketch. This is cheap (it'll cost a few hundred) but it's a pain to find one and even harder to know how good they are. We've got a couple that we use but they'll all super local and it's only for when our workshop is busy
    Awesome!!
    The actual material cost would be nonexistent. Definitely the actual design would be the problem.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    Actually Fuzzy, your uni should have a workshop that it uses. Figure out who builds the bespoke rigs that are more than a kit of parts. Somebody somewhere has a mill and what have you and may not need payment at all.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud bear with us as we do some "rebranding" Registered User regular
    Actually Fuzzy, your uni should have a workshop that it uses. Figure out who builds the bespoke rigs that are more than a kit of parts. Somebody somewhere has a mill and what have you and may not need payment at all.
    Oh good idea as well. But I want the rights to it so I might have to develop it at home otherwise the university could contest.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    I like robots.
    Good morning @credeiki

VishNub on
    Steam = VishnuOwnz
    Dota2 = Glitchmo
    KruitecredeikiBlameless ClericKid Presentable
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I like robots.
    Ryzen 5 3600
    16GB 3200 (OC to 3600) DDR4 RAM
    500GB NVME Samsung 970 EVO Boot Drive
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
    1 TB WD Blue HDD
    EVGA RTX 2060
    Not a single RGB light

inferior.png[/img]

utter garbage
    trash
    throw it away
    all computers must radiate with the loving light of the RGB god

Bless your heart.
    zepherin
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I like robots.

Awesome!!
    The actual material cost would be nonexistent. Definitely the actual design would be the problem.

Are you talking about a mold for a polypro or polystyrene part or a mold made of such things? The first is kind of my job and I'd be happy to point you towards some places if you'd like.

• AtomikaAtomika Brought to you by Technicolor™ Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Ryzen 5 3600
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
    1 TB WD Blue HDD
    EVGA RTX 2060
    Not a single RGB light

inferior.png[/img]

utter garbage
    trash
    throw it away

My rgb seems to have died somehow on my steel series keyboard and while I’m a bit confused as to why, I’m quite happy with it

ChanusVishNub
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I like robots.
    Ryzen 5 3600
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
    1 TB WD Blue HDD
    EVGA RTX 2060
    Not a single RGB light

inferior.png[/img]

utter garbage
    trash
    throw it away

Idk, it kinda looks like the black monolith of doom. That has a certain stylistic appeal.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

I have 3 goddamnit.

Also I dont need a classic since I replaced the drive with a solid state storage solution

The DC hardware mod scene is great, Id like to get an HDMI mod installed but I really dont play it enough to justify it

(not my pictures)

Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
    RMS Oceanic
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    @Feral I'm sorry I failed you, minecraft was just too repetitious for me. Like I got out of the cave I was in and was like "oh so its just more of that well..." and just quit out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Feral
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I like robots.
    Atomika wrote: »
    Ryzen 5 3600
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
    1 TB WD Blue HDD
    EVGA RTX 2060
    Not a single RGB light

inferior.png[/img]

utter garbage
    trash
    throw it away

My rgb seems to have died somehow on my steel series keyboard and while I’m a bit confused as to why, I’m quite happy with it

on keyboards RGB is powered by the clickety clack
    you may need to swap cherry switches in your keyboard if it's not loud enough
    ideal volume is loud enough to wake your dog up but not loud enough for the hobo at the circle k 3 blocks down the street to hear

Bless your heart.
    Atomika
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Feral I'm sorry I failed you, minecraft was just too repetitious for me. Like I got out of the cave I was in and was like "oh so its just more of that well..." and just quit out.

it's basically as boring or engaging as you want to make it

if you have grand plans to build huge things, you can spend a lot of time pursuing that and feeling fulfilled until it ultimately doesn't turn out like you planned because you aren't an architect and have no idea how to bring your ideas to fruition

**Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Robot is actually an Old Slavic word for "Fucking dipshit".
    pinch pinch

VishNubKid PresentableTTODewback
    not to say "it's your fault it's not fun" but like there isn't a whole lot of game there in and of itself but you can do a whole lot with it if you want to

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Caaba Beankomy XobthroRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Feral I'm sorry I failed you, minecraft was just too repetitious for me. Like I got out of the cave I was in and was like "oh so its just more of that well..." and just quit out.

it's basically as boring or engaging as you want to make it

if you have grand plans to build huge things, you can spend a lot of time pursuing that and feeling fulfilled until it ultimately doesn't turn out like you planned because you aren't an architect and have no idea how to bring your ideas to fruition

You can spend time building contraptions too. I had an instant lava moat around my base last time

Or you can persue content like The End or The Wither.

It helps to be on a server with many people. That way thevpeople who like to mine and explore can provide resources to the people who like to build.

And I won, so you lose,
    Guess it always comes down to.
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Or just "Ron" Registered User regular
    Genesis Does

not have a future

ChanusHarry Dresden
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Minecraft is only fun if you enjoy building stuff for the sake of it, or big ol' mods

I can't really get into virtual construction unless things actually happen inside it, personally

A Rimworld kind of thing with full 3d construction would be lovely

Or a multiplayer game where you get other players entering your constructs, and maybe they collapse over time if you haven't logged in for a while, leaving interesting ruins...

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    Jacobkosh

Awesome!!

Are you talking about a mold for a polypro or polystyrene part or a mold made of such things? The first is kind of my job and I'd be happy to point you towards some places if you'd like.
    honestly i dont know the lingo
    i want to make a widget
    the widget will be made of very cheap and thin plastic

i dont need a mold in the factory sense, where a mold is designed and then many replicates can be made from the mold

• jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    Robot is actually an Old Slavic word for "Fucking dipshit".
    Brody wrote: »
    Ryzen 5 3600
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
    1 TB WD Blue HDD
    EVGA RTX 2060
    Not a single RGB light

inferior.png[/img]

utter garbage
    trash
    throw it away

Idk, it kinda looks like the black monolith of doom. That has a certain stylistic appeal.

Yeah, that's the idea. Just black and metal.

Make. Time.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    Minecraft is evil because it teaches kids about destroying the environment for mining and the wilful depletion of fossil fuels.

ChanusHarry DresdenEvil Multifariouszepherin
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Speaking of minecraft the big multiplayer update for No Mans Sky is out today

Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
    Minecraft is only fun if you enjoy building stuff for the sake of it, or big ol' mods

I can't really get into virtual construction unless things actually happen inside it, personally

Or a multiplayer game where you get other players entering your constructs, and maybe they collapse over time if you haven't logged in for a while, leaving interesting ruins...

I feel like this kind of decaying stuff game has been done and is basically frustrating for most people. Makes the game into a chore.

And I won, so you lose,
    Chanus
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

I feel like this kind of decaying stuff game has been done and is basically frustrating for most people. Makes the game into a chore.

Decaying is less fun than, like, having big monster attacks happen that destroy a bunch of stuff.

Which I guess is fundamentally the idea behind a creeper.

Evil Multifarious
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod

Yeah, I could only play vanilla Minecraft with friends when we were talking random crap and/or our actually design-interested friend decided he wanted to build Neuschwanstein Castle and needed that mountain tore down for materials.

Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I like robots.

Awesome!!

honestly i dont know the lingo
    i want to make a widget
    the widget will be made of very cheap and thin plastic

i dont need a mold in the factory sense, where a mold is designed and then many replicates can be made from the mold

Right, so if you want like a couple of these then seek out a 3D printing house. You'll basically need a good 3D model in STL format and a credit card. Rapid prototypes are your answer there though they'll have some physical issues because they have a grain.

If you want like a hundred+ then you probably want to mold them and go to a molding prototype house. You're talking a few thousand in dollars here, at least.

In between is where you really need to comparison shop and figure out your break point for which is better.

If you want some advice about how to make the part mold able feel free to PM me. That is like 40% of my day job.

• AtomikaAtomika Brought to you by Technicolor™ Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Ryzen 5 3600
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
    1 TB WD Blue HDD
    EVGA RTX 2060
    Not a single RGB light

inferior.png[/img]

utter garbage
    trash
    throw it away

on keyboards RGB is powered by the clickety clack
    you may need to swap cherry switches in your keyboard if it's not loud enough
    ideal volume is loud enough to wake your dog up but not loud enough for the hobo at the circle k 3 blocks down the street to hear

Um they’re browns and that ain’t changing son

jungleroomx
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    W e a p o n D e g r a d a t i o n

W e a p o n D e g r a d a t i o n

don't you fuckin start

Atomika

It would have to be something different, not just forced maintenance

Like, if the building process is itself a game, and when you beat a level, that construct goes into the library of ruins that players can encounter, progressively decaying as time passes

Meanwhile players can have and maintain a base that doesn't decay because it's lived in, though they can abandon it and build a new one

Couldn't be a persistent world, would have to be abstracted/instanced/sharded, ending up like the islands and rivers in Heaven's Vault or something

Winky wrote: »

Decaying is less fun than, like, having big monster attacks happen that destroy a bunch of stuff.

i play on peaceful anymore

the monsters in minecraft are just obnoxious until you achieve enough resources to make them trivially easy to simply ignore

and you don't need any of them to accomplish anything

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Today we will paint a mountain that owes us nothing. Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Question for the 1 or 2 American people here.

When you grew up, what was, roughly, the success rate of your classes in elementary, middle and high school? More or less?

Lower grades was basically everyone with a few holdbacks over the years

High school ?

67%

Only 67% of students are your high school would pass?

Okay, wow, i had no idea it was this low. Was it a typical school for your area of the country?

Since you said "would pass", maybe it's important to clarify that the attrition rate is almost always tied to drop outs, if that's pertinent to your inquiry. I don't believe we have many failures that are purely academic?

tERiPJd.jpg
    I just really want people to encounter the abandoned places used by real people in a virtual world

Spoopy

ChanusWinky
    Speaking of minecraft the big multiplayer update for No Mans Sky is out today

So now it is Multiple Mans Sky?

And I won, so you lose,
    ChanusbloodyroarxxEcho
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I just really want people to encounter the abandoned places used by real people in a virtual world

Spoopy

I wish all those early 3D social space games where people could build stuff didn't all shut down with almost nothing preserved because going through those is amazing.

Evil Multifarious
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Today we will paint a mountain that owes us nothing. Registered User regular
    Also, that EVGA nameplate lights up (I've got one) and I bet that mobo does too ;-)

I also have a black obelisk corsair case, I just haven't disabled the mobo RBG because I can't see it

tERiPJd.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    I enjoyed the last NMS update but the PS4 naming servers were always down and the sight of dozens of planets I'd lovingly named according to various rules all slowly reverting to their original, opaque and impersonal names was demoralising enough to stop me from playing.

Evil MultifariousChanus
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    My son woke up in the middle of the night, and while it took 5 minutes to get him back to sleep, it was closer to two hours for me.

So when I tried to warm up my breakfast I hit the wrong button on the microwave and it exploded.

I AM FINE.

HOW ARE YOU CHAT?

BSoB on

ChanusBurnageDoodmannMrMister

the monsters in minecraft are just obnoxious until you achieve enough resources to make them trivially easy to simply ignore

You need mobs. Unless you are playing on creative.

Gotta get slime and bone meal.

And I won, so you lose,

You need mobs. Unless you are playing on creative.

Gotta get slime and bone meal.

hmm true i guess you do need slime

bone meal isn't really necessary but it is useful

This discussion has been closed.