I just went to a cafe that doesn’t have set prices

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    $8-11
    I’d throw down $10 and be done with it

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Just Tell Me The Price, Commie
    if they insist I can choose what I pay, then I insist on paying in giant cloth sacks full of pennies

get rekt, hippies

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    $4-7
    either $5 or $10 depending on which is in my wallet

realistically, if the barista asked me to name my price I'd probably freeze and babble for a minute, hand over $20, then leave and never return

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    What I'm learning in this thread is that I'm way on the low end of the bell curve for "how much a coffee & pastry is worth to me." Like, I don't care about quality, if those together crack $4 something is wrong.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    this is like that thing where you remember how ice cream cost 5 cents when you were a kid and why are all the prices so high now in my day we walked fifteen miles in the snow with no shoes for no reason because school hadn't been invented yet, and we liked it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    $1-3
    listen, either this store has a business plan such that they anticipate and are compensating for people paying one buck for everything, or they will be out of business very soon. Ergo, I need to get while the gettings good and pay one dollar for everything. I call this the Comedy of the Commons

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    $8-11
    What I'm learning in this thread is that I'm way on the low end of the bell curve for "how much a coffee & pastry is worth to me." Like, I don't care about quality, if those together crack $4 something is wrong.

It could also be a matter of where you live!

• Options
    I bet it's mostly just inflation and being old though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Just tell me the price and also ensure that it's high enough to pay your employees a living wage.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    In reality I'd give them a dollar for the till and stuff $7 in the tip jar

If you're a business owner it's probably real stupid to give someone like me the power to determine what % your employees get off each sale.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My anxiety would take over and i'd just dump the contents of my wallet on the counter and run.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    this is like that thing where you remember how ice cream cost 5 cents when you were a kid and why are all the prices so high now in my day we walked fifteen miles in the snow with no shoes for no reason because school hadn't been invented yet, and we liked it

I still maintain the invention of school was a bad move

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    $8-11
    Solar wrote: »

I still maintain the invention of school was a bad move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

??

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Thinking about, it's probably that I like neither coffee nor muffins, so I couldn't appreciate good ones compared to dollar menu ones anyway.

I'm 23!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    $4-7
    I don't buy coffee and am from the cheap state of KY where fast food and groceries cost 1/3 less, so I have no frame of reference here.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Janson wrote: »

Thinking about, it's probably that I like neither coffee nor muffins, so I couldn't appreciate good ones compared to dollar menu ones anyway.

I'm 23!

yeah, it's tragic, where did your glory years go

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    $4-7
    A crisp fiver and a one in a tip jar imo

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    $4-7
    Like I live in IL right now, and don't spend more than 2 dollars on a meal via groceries (could eat a lot more in ky on this).
    So, I guess 5 bucks for two things sounds ok?
    I could see this being a completely different story in like Hawaii or DC though.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    $4-7
    There's a Starbucks in the grocery store near me and it is literally 10 feet away from the bakery section where they have Top Pot donuts for $1.09

And instead of picking up one of those then getting a drink, people still buy Starbucks' expensive-ass tiny dry pastries.

I guess two transactions and an extra minute of time is too much effort.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The material cost for a cup of coffee is, what, eight cents? Depending on the kind of muffin, the material cost for a muffin is also very low: flour, water, salt, cornmeal, blueberries, chocolate chips? All super cheap. Juat quadruple the material cost and tip a buck or two over that depending.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    $8-11
    For one of the local, nicer coffee shops in Richmond, VA - a relatively affordable city on the US's East Coast especially compared to DC or NYC - a simple Americano and a muffin of average size is gonna come out to about 6.50 before tax, and I'll gladly pay $8.50 including the tip since I only go to coffee shops as a rare treat and tipping well is high-priority

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    if they insist I can choose what I pay, then I insist on paying in giant cloth sacks full of pennies

get rekt, hippies

Well you don't go to bandcamp as I feel bad when I give some of the bands I buy songs from I buy their album for $5

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I love bandcamp.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Do not give me the option to barter I won't stop until I've somehow bought the store in exchange for a small holding of milch heifers and a barrel of pig fat.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    $8-11
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The material cost for a cup of coffee is, what, eight cents? Depending on the kind of muffin, the material cost for a muffin is also very low: flour, water, salt, cornmeal, blueberries, chocolate chips? All super cheap. Juat quadruple the material cost and tip a buck or two over that depending.

Don't forget to spit in their face on the way out!

When you buy a new car do you argue that the material costs of the iron ore, bauxite, and copper used in the vehicle are only a few hundred dollars, so you'll just pay them around a grand, plus a dollar tip?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

When you buy a new car do you argue that the material costs of the iron ore, bauxite, and copper used in the vehicle are only a few hundred dollars, so you'll just pay them around a grand, plus a dollar tip?

I'll certainly try next time

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    espresso here is usually between 1.50 and 2.50€ and a muffin should be less than 3€, so 4-7$ sounds about right.

Speaking of paying what you want for a coffee, I always really liked the idea of caffè sospeso

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    $1-3
    Fairly certain this would fail in NYC. We're used to going to museums with suggested donations and paying a penny to get in (I was surprised at my husband's generosity of $1 one time). And a lot of people have no shame about getting things at low prices. I'd been fine paying a buck or two depending on the day.
    However, the rich don't subsidize places like this. The rich pay $1-3. The middle class and working people with some disposable income tend to pay more. The ones that understand paychecks and how working works.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I pay $1 then I make flyers for the place advertising everything for a penny and hand them out to all the homeless people I meet, which is a lot. I'll see what it takes to break them.

Alternatively I let all the entitled "I want to speak to the manager" Karen types know about it who will all pay $5 for their $10 worth of food and act like they're being super generous and deserve to be praised for throwing big bucks around and still complain to the manager and demand further discount afterwards.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    *die from anxiety*

I mean, considering how much of a car's construction is now automated I wouldn't be complaining if their prices came down to more sane levels. Also if I can just buy it direct and cut out the dealer then all the better

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    Probably can 3d print a car in the future or something

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I mean, considering how much of a car's construction is now automated I wouldn't be complaining if their prices came down to more sane levels. Also if I can just buy it direct and cut out the dealer then all the better

A whole lot of metals and electronic components are only cheap due to deplorable conditions and pay for workers in mines around the world. There is, as always, a lot wrong at many levels of the chain.

• Options
    $4-7
    -Tal wrote: »
    A crisp fiver and a one in a tip jar imo

Wait what the hell am I saying, $0 and $6 in the tip jar

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Probably can 3d print a car in the future or something

Finally I can download a car.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    *die from anxiety*

A whole lot of metals and electronic components are only cheap due to deplorable conditions and pay for workers in mines around the world. There is, as always, a lot wrong at many levels of the chain.

In that case I'd rather have the expensive car expensive due to those conditions not being deplorable so the money goes towards them rather than in the pockets of the business

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

In that case I'd rather have the expensive car expensive due to those conditions not being deplorable so the money goes towards them rather than in the pockets of the business

Me too mate

• Options
    $4-7
    you should be able to haggle for anything, you should be able to call reggie fils-aime's personal cell phone while he's trying to have dinner with his family and talk him down to $250 for a switch

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    *die from anxiety*
    -Tal wrote: »
    you should be able to haggle for anything, you should be able to call reggie fils-aime's personal cell phone while he's trying to have dinner with his family and talk him down to $250 for a switch

He's not with Nintendo anymore. Now you have to negotiate with Bowser.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    *die from anxiety*
    I would probably put down 10$ and never go again for fear of having to make that choice again.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    $4-7
    It’s actually a clever pricing system; guilt and anxiety will often convince people to voluntarily pay more than they might be okay with being charged at a place with posted prices.