As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Remote Play Together is here: The whole internet can be your co-op couch now

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Remnant is the twisted love child of Hellgate: London and Dark Souls, with some dashes of Fallout thrown in.

... shit

*eyeballs shopping cart*

StormwatcherNo-QuarterFencingsaxKoopahTroopahMudzgut
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    It has it's faults, but it's legit fun to play. And some of the enemies can be real spooky in the 'dungeons'.

There are fog gates even!

Elvenshae
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Remnant looks super amazeballs. I cant believe I had never heard of it until like 3 days ago.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    KoopahTroopah
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Remnant also has 3-player co-op which usually ends up in comedy.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DignifiedCovertWhaleMikeHogu

BedlamElvenshaeRoyceSraphimCantidoMugsleyKarozFencingsaxMudzgut
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Obvious Question but why 3 instead of the standard 4?

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Because the devs know you don't have three other friends.

ElvenshaeHeatwaveRoyceSraphimMugsleyPixelated PixieCorsiniDonnictonJazzStormwatcherFencingsaxKoopahTroopahPailrydershdwcasterKristmas Kthulhu
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    :|

DirtyboyMugsleyKaroz
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Hiring two hookers is cheaper than three.

JazzThawmusMNC DoverElvenshaeSteel AngelDonnictonBig ClassyEvilMonkeyFencingsaxKoopahTroopahPailrydershdwcasterKristmas Kthulhu
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

3 starting "classes", I'd guess, and thus the possibility to have one of each.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

Bedlam
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Because fuck the quadriarchy, tertiary is where shit gets done, son!

camo_sig2.png
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I read somewhere that 3 was kind of a sweet spot for them in terms of difficulty. With 4 people they felt that they enemies had to be too bullet spongey to be a challenge.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    BedlamFencingsax
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I pulled the trigger on Remnant this morning. I'm apprehensive about the loot mechanics but I'm loving the tree themed monsters.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Kalnaur
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    :|

Bedlam your avatar explains my feelings perfectly

BedlamFencingsaxKoopahTroopah
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    @destroyah87 trying to strongarm me into playing Final Fantasy 14 by gifting me pretty clothes to wear.

As if that would work. Like I could be bought with pretty cosmetic items.

I totally can be.

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    destroyah87Commander ZoomTalus9952TetraRayJazzMugsleyStormwatcherBetsuniElvenshaeFencingsaxKoopahTroopahan_altMudzgut
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @destroyah87 trying to strongarm me into playing Final Fantasy 14 by gifting me pretty clothes to wear.

As if that would work. Like I could be bought with pretty cosmetic items.

I totally can be.

Thanks! <3<3<3

I Mean this seems like a great way to get people to play games

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    bloodatonementdestroyah87TetraRayJazzElvenshaeFencingsaxJaysonFourKoopahTroopah
    Syngyne wrote: »

I read somewhere that 3 was kind of a sweet spot for them in terms of difficulty. With 4 people they felt that they enemies had to be too bullet spongey to be a challenge.

From my playing this makes sense. There's already a mix of one-hits and sponges on single player.

CorriganX
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Looks alright! Kinda Ace Combat + mechs-y? Looks like it controls a lot more floaty than an Ace Combat, though.

Why my thoughts, though?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So started Her Story:
    This woman's reactions to these questions are way too cool for her husband being missing/dead and her a suspect apparently. So either she's a bad actor (in reality or story wise) or she's guilty as sin for whatever reason. Her being the only one in the game apparently also leads me to conclude this, so maybe she's innocent! But probably not.

Karoz
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Hiring two hookers is cheaper than three.

And despite what Gabe/Tycho say, you do not need to also buy clothes if you're playing with hookers.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Might have been the other thread, but did somebody write a long post about Dicey Dungeons and why it's good?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Might have been the other thread, but did somebody write a long post about Dicey Dungeons and why it's good?

That'd be me, although @The Zombie Penguin also shared thoughts and I hold his opinion in high regard. I'm also on mobile and I can't find a way to search my old posts so click on my name and scroll down abit if you're in a computer!

Short story: I like it!

steam_sig.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    TeeMan wrote: »

That'd be me, although @The Zombie Penguin also shared thoughts and I hold his opinion in high regard. I'm also on mobile and I can't find a way to search my old posts so click on my name and scroll down abit if you're in a computer!

Short story: I like it!

Awww! Thank you! (Also, i'm a They, not a he! Just as a heads up)

My opinion's shifted on it a bit.

Overall, i dont regret purchasing it, but 20 hours in i also feel I've extracted most of the value i'm currently going to get out of it. There's 6 (7, actually) classes, and I've beaten the game as them all except for the seventh (which is more out of lazyness/disinterest). Characters also have access to Episodes, which dramatically change the rules of the game. ...Which can be fun ,but also super frustrating.

The six (seven) classes share some "equipment" which are the basic cards/attacks/whatever of this game, though they all have unique ones as well. Five of the seven classes get a 2x3 grid to put equipment on, as well as a unique ability to go with (Warrior gets to re-roll dice up to 3 times a turn, Rogue gets access to a random enemy equipment each turn, Robot uses a blackjack style mechanic to generate it's dice, Inventor has Gadgets, and turns equipment into more Gadgets after each battle, and i cant remember what the fifth one does and dont want to spoil it's identity anyway).

Edit: To be clear, the other two classes have unique mechanics as well, but they are VERY unique and heavily alter the structure of the game. (They're also the best/most interesting classes, particularly the one who gets to have a deck-style approach <.<)

They all also get a unique limit break that's charged by taking damage.

It's not got the legs Slay the Spire does, which is super frustrating! Because when it IS good, it's really good.

But it doesn't ask you to make interesting choices as often as StS does, and it's also a lot more prone to leaving things entirely out of your hands - You cannot see what enemies are going to do ahead of time, and even your ability to block or heal can be very, very limited. Which can result in you getting colossally screwed by status effects, or just flat out dying without anything you could have done about it. There's none of that sense of "If i'd made these choices like that earlier in the run" that Spire brings.

Like that equipment grid thing is REAL fascinating, and more could have been done with it by far - But you simply arent offered enough equipment often enough to be asked to make interesting choices in assembling a build. and even then, the majority of classes get to keep their equipment they're not using in a backpack, so that further reduces the sense of interesting choice. (Compare and contrast card removal being a precious resources in StS)

instead the game fairly rapidly degenerates into figuring out how to burn enemies down as fast as possible. You full heal when you level up, so... why do otherwise.

On the flipside, it's faster to blaze through a run than Spire is, dramatically so. I haven't really timed my runs, but i'd feel like... what? 20-30 minutes generally? It's pretty fun when you do get things flowing.

The UI is also real bad at communicating what things do - I found there was an escape from battle option completely on accident when i clicked on it while alt tabbing back into the game. ...i still havent actually figured out why it's there or why you'd USE this mechanic, mind.

It is a ton of fun when you get towards the end curve of a character's growth and get to do crazy things involving duplicating dice, smashing dice apart into more dice, and so on. And my opinion is definitely heavily influenced by the fact it reminds me SO MUCH of StS, yet comes up short. But it's also because it' reminding me of StS in good ways that it's so frustrating when it comes up short - the potential is there! the potential is really, really there!The execution maybe not.

Still, i think given it's pricepoint you could do far, far worse - and if you dont mind that it dosent have the legs on it, it's definitely worth a look. It's art style and music are BANGING, and it's humor/writing are pretty great - i've had multiple good laughs at it, and frankly? Finding out how you become the seventh class is totally worth the price of entry alone, and i was laughing my head off when it happened on stream.(Pro tip: Start as the Rogue).

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Ed GrubermanIoloTeeMandestroyah87MNC DoverBetsuniKarozcooljammer00IanatorElvenshaeMudzgut
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    My Mass Effect adventure has hit a bump: I realized I still have Dragon Age Origins to finish. Started it earlier this year, and, thanks to a build guide, enjoyed it - the setting and lore are awfully generic though. I stopped at Orzammar...I'll have to finish that first, I think, or I never will

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    My Mass Effect adventure has hit a bump: I realized I still have Dragon Age Origins to finish. Started it earlier this year, and, thanks to a build guide, enjoyed it - the setting and lore are awfully generic though. I stopped at Orzammar...I'll have to finish that first, I think, or I never will

Have fun in the Derp Roads!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

Wasn't that Dragon Age: The Second One?

Jazz wrote: »

Wasn't that Dragon Age: The Second One?

Por que no los dos?

I am forcing myself to finish Crosscode before I fully jump down the sci-fi hole and play Heat Signature + Battletech forever

Elvenshae
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I worked localization on Remnant, and I found the lore to be delicious. Never got a chance to play, but I wholeheartedly recommend it to lore fiends.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    MugsleybloodatonementMNC DoverBetsuniel_vicioIoloCorsiniJazzcooljammer00QanamilFencingsaxTeeManElvenshaeJaysonFourKilroy_89KoopahTroopahMudzgutshdwcasterKristmas Kthulhu
    I worked localization on Remnant, and I found the lore to be delicious. Never got a chance to play, but I wholeheartedly recommend it to lore fiends.

Please tell us you left some Easter eggs. Like a guy says he likes a girl but in Portuguese he says she looks like the back end of a donkey.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Played Ys VIII's free weekend only to the point where you get your first party member. I think it looks pretty nice for an Ys game, but I was a bit turned off as soon as I realized the combat seemed mostly the same as Ys Seven's combat (and I knew it was going in). I'm not going to get a chance to play it further, but I feel comfortable in waiting for it to hit a sub-$20 price. Especially while I wait for Memories of Celceta to hit a similar price!

In the end, I just prefer the earlier styles of Ys games, I guess. Ys Seven is perfectly all right, but it got stale for me about halfway through. I have heard that Celceta and VIII are better, but it'll be a while before I can make a verdict.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I am forcing myself to finish Crosscode before I fully jump down the sci-fi hole and play Heat Signature + Battletech forever

Seems unlikely.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    JazzFlorinTeeManJaysonFour
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

Seems unlikely.

I know, right?
    srl8z6wqvdmx.png

IoloElvenshaeKoopahTroopah
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Glad to see people grabbing Remnant. It has been surprisingly robust. The initial setting/story were sort of 'meh' to me but the lore opened up in a very nice way. And the shooting isn't especially complex, but it keeps getting better as new guns/mods and enemies appear. I've been playing non-stop all weekend. So if anyone needs assistance or wants some coop, holla!

KalnaurPoketpixieQanamilMugsleyBetsuniFencingsaxRoyceSraphimKilroy_89KoopahTroopahMudzgut
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hmm, I actually have been looking for something else to fill the Slay the Spire itch, which is funny because I just made it to the final Heart boss today for the first time.

People seem to like this Dicey Dungeons, and although it doesn't sound like it's as deep as Slay the Spire, I might actually be okay with that. I like my experiences shallow

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00

There's a toooonn of really good lore.

vamenMudzgut
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Her Story would be easier if you could replay clips from the database checker...sigh, finding the last 25% is going to be more difficult than it should be.

Edit: Aha, a way to basically cycle through the clips. Found most them, let's do it.

Xeddicus on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Remnant is the twisted love child of Hellgate: London and Dark Souls, with some dashes of Fallout thrown in.

I'm listening...

el_vicioFencingsaxKalnaurRoyceSraphimSyngyneKoopahTroopah
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    This is going to be really vague I remember a few weeks/months ago reading something about a very memorable and unexpected (indie?) game that was released recently. 2019 or 2018. But now that I'm looking for a new game to play I forgot what it was.

I think the premise was about escaping something or someplace before a timer runs out, but players were surprised at what the game had to offer beyond the initial premise. Maybe I'm mixing up two games

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    This is going to be really vague I remember a few weeks/months ago reading something about a very memorable and unexpected (indie?) game that was released recently. 2019 or 2018. But now that I'm looking for a new game to play I forgot what it was.

I think the premise was about escaping something or someplace before a timer runs out, but players were surprised at what the game had to offer beyond the initial premise. Maybe I'm mixing up two games

Could it be Outer Wilds?

Steam: Calidaria
    FireflashIolo
This discussion has been closed.