As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together is here: The whole internet can be your co-op couch now

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Madican wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    Beware when inviting the hero of the universe to your home, for the silverware is bound to disappear.

The silverware is safe, but that beer elixir in your fridge is definitely going in his bag

The potion is probably safe because I never remember to use them anyway, but that silverware probably has a high value-to-weight ratio and is therefore going in my pocket.

Only if it's actually silver. Stainless steel silverware is basically worthless in RPGs.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Massena wrote: »
    Yeah, don't let the mixed ratings on Greedfall fool you. For a certain kind of gamer, Greedfall is going to be your fucking jam. The RPG systems on offer here are excellent, the quest design is fantastic, the voice acting is very good. The writing so far has been mediocre and the actual combat system is sub-par. It has that jank that Spiders is well-known for, but this is far more polished than their previous games.

I dunno, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I have opinions about whether or not using 17th century colonialism as the setting in your fantasy RPG is a good idea, but it still remains to be seen if they treat it respectfully. It could go very poorly or it could be fine.

Yeah, I came back to post further impressions. This game is the THING. It's like a Dragon Age Inquisition except they have respect for my time. Zero fetch quests, for instance. I find myself mildly annoyed that I can't do everything I want to (keep everyone happy, open every chest, access every nook and cranny) because they limit how you can build yourself out, which is a good thing, imo: that's what gives your decisions consequences. I would probably describe the combat as "like Witcher 3 with pause". It's a little... specific... but once I realized it's about dodging and using ALL of your abilities, rather than swinging blindly, it seemed to gel a bit.

The world they've created is really solid so far, and the characters have some of the old Bioware charm. The design elements do SUCH a good job of blending the "familiar" with the "exotic". Or maybe a better way to put it is "directions you've been" with "directions that surprise you". The native culture isn't "Native Americans with magic", the Bridge Alliance is more than "Middle Eastern technologists", the Teleme are more than "Catholics with magic". The environments are detailed, reward exploring, but not exhaustive. The very much give the feel of "exploring a new world" (and sometimes that's not super comfortable). Also, I think I adore that this isn't set in the standard medieval fantasy realm, it gives a nice new "coat of paint" to some very tired tropes.

Steam reviews have shifted to Very Positive and it's deserved, this game is what I've been looking for from Bioware/Larian and just not getting for whatever reason. Definitely worth a hard look if you're into those types of games.

I concur with pretty much everything said in both of these posts.

I've got a bit of time into this (level 16, if I recall right) and my initial impression of "it's like a deformed love-child of Dragon Age 3 and Vampyr" still feels accurate. I think it's going to turn into one of those janky games that I end up loving despite the flaws.
    And I have to say that I absolutely adore the skill/talent/attribute system. I am always SO TORN when I get one of those rare talent points.
    I REALLY want to be able to scale walls...but I also want to get that sweet, sweet crafting material when I break down objects.
    ...but I also want to pick locks!
    BUT I ALSO WANT TO BE ABLE TO BLOW UP WALLS WITH ALCHEMY.

I spend as long picking skills as Pixie does making a character.

I learned last night that you CAN blow up walls with alchemy and you don't need to take the skill point, you can use alchemical elemental formulas (or whatever that one is called). Like a potion or grenade, basically. Granted, you have to buy them if you haven't put the points in to craft them, but still.....

I'm just wondering how much legendary gear I'm missing because I'm not picking every locked thing I find, but I like being able to persuade people too damn much to change.

I don't understand this play style.

It's very uncomfortable.
    I would say that lockpicking 1 is probably the most skill in the first zone if you want to get it out of the gate.
    After that, I have run into a good variety of all skill types.

Also, good to know about those formulas, Massena. I already took science but I would have taken it anyway so I guess it's fine =).

Another big one I've started using is the sill bonuses provided by equipment. Get a set of gloves that give a boost to crafting and you have Crafting 1. Crafting 1 lets you add a skill bonus (in lieu of an armor bonus) to your main shirt (if it has room for crafting adders). That lets you get Lockpicking 1 for free as well, without having to take Crafting 1 OR Lockpicking 1. Since I haven't investigated the wonders of Crafting 2, I don't know if you can stack bonuses or not, but it's useful for low-level checks.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Beware when inviting the hero of the universe to your home, for the silverware is bound to disappear.

The silverware is safe, but that beer elixir in your fridge is definitely going in his bag

The potion is probably safe because I never remember to use them anyway, but that silverware probably has a high value-to-weight ratio and is therefore going in my pocket.

A Dragon Quest style protagonist would never be so uncouth as to loot your silverware and jewels unless they were plot important, a weapon, or a consumable.

An Elder Scrolls protagonist on the other hand is not to be trusted around precious metals and gems

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Calescent wrote: »
    Humble Bundle is offering the Endless Space Collection for free until September 14 at 10am Pacific time or while supplies last.

zhaotdn5piaw.jpg

(I'm following in @HiT BiT's footsteps by adding an image to these free game announcements; it really does make them look better.)

Oooh this game looks cool! Oh... Uh... Apparently I already have it???

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Playing Celeste now. This game has the cutest worble speak I've heard in a game yet.

I go "daww.." every time Madeline starts talking.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Yeah, don't let the mixed ratings on Greedfall fool you. For a certain kind of gamer, Greedfall is going to be your fucking jam. The RPG systems on offer here are excellent, the quest design is fantastic, the voice acting is very good. The writing so far has been mediocre and the actual combat system is sub-par. It has that jank that Spiders is well-known for, but this is far more polished than their previous games.

I dunno, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I have opinions about whether or not using 17th century colonialism as the setting in your fantasy RPG is a good idea, but it still remains to be seen if they treat it respectfully. It could go very poorly or it could be fine.

Yeah, I came back to post further impressions. This game is the THING. It's like a Dragon Age Inquisition except they have respect for my time. Zero fetch quests, for instance. I find myself mildly annoyed that I can't do everything I want to (keep everyone happy, open every chest, access every nook and cranny) because they limit how you can build yourself out, which is a good thing, imo: that's what gives your decisions consequences. I would probably describe the combat as "like Witcher 3 with pause". It's a little... specific... but once I realized it's about dodging and using ALL of your abilities, rather than swinging blindly, it seemed to gel a bit.

The world they've created is really solid so far, and the characters have some of the old Bioware charm. The design elements do SUCH a good job of blending the "familiar" with the "exotic". Or maybe a better way to put it is "directions you've been" with "directions that surprise you". The native culture isn't "Native Americans with magic", the Bridge Alliance is more than "Middle Eastern technologists", the Teleme are more than "Catholics with magic". The environments are detailed, reward exploring, but not exhaustive. The very much give the feel of "exploring a new world" (and sometimes that's not super comfortable). Also, I think I adore that this isn't set in the standard medieval fantasy realm, it gives a nice new "coat of paint" to some very tired tropes.

Steam reviews have shifted to Very Positive and it's deserved, this game is what I've been looking for from Bioware/Larian and just not getting for whatever reason. Definitely worth a hard look if you're into those types of games.

I concur with pretty much everything said in both of these posts.

I've got a bit of time into this (level 16, if I recall right) and my initial impression of "it's like a deformed love-child of Dragon Age 3 and Vampyr" still feels accurate. I think it's going to turn into one of those janky games that I end up loving despite the flaws.
    And I have to say that I absolutely adore the skill/talent/attribute system. I am always SO TORN when I get one of those rare talent points.
    I REALLY want to be able to scale walls...but I also want to get that sweet, sweet crafting material when I break down objects.
    ...but I also want to pick locks!
    BUT I ALSO WANT TO BE ABLE TO BLOW UP WALLS WITH ALCHEMY.

I spend as long picking skills as Pixie does making a character.

I learned last night that you CAN blow up walls with alchemy and you don't need to take the skill point, you can use alchemical elemental formulas (or whatever that one is called). Like a potion or grenade, basically. Granted, you have to buy them if you haven't put the points in to craft them, but still.....

I'm just wondering how much legendary gear I'm missing because I'm not picking every locked thing I find, but I like being able to persuade people too damn much to change.

I don't understand this play style.

It's very uncomfortable.
    I would say that lockpicking 1 is probably the most skill in the first zone if you want to get it out of the gate.
    After that, I have run into a good variety of all skill types.

Also, good to know about those formulas, Massena. I already took science but I would have taken it anyway so I guess it's fine =).

Another big one I've started using is the sill bonuses provided by equipment. Get a set of gloves that give a boost to crafting and you have Crafting 1. Crafting 1 lets you add a skill bonus (in lieu of an armor bonus) to your main shirt (if it has room for crafting adders). That lets you get Lockpicking 1 for free as well, without having to take Crafting 1 OR Lockpicking 1. Since I haven't investigated the wonders of Crafting 2, I don't know if you can stack bonuses or not, but it's useful for low-level checks.

I have Crafting 2 and haven't seen a +2 bonus or anything yet, but I only JUST got it so I'm still hopeful.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

A Dragon Quest style protagonist would never be so uncouth as to loot your silverware and jewels unless they were plot important, a weapon, or a consumable.

An Elder Scrolls protagonist on the other hand is not to be trusted around precious metals and gems

Look, if they didn't want me to have them, they shouldn't keep a bucket in the room.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Playing Celeste now. This game has the cutest worble speak I've heard in a game yet.

I go "daww.." every time Madeline starts talking.

Have you played Last Day of June?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Endless Space 1 is where there are a ton of pirates and the AI adapts to the weapon triangle really fast right?

I remember the first being most of the early game, and then wars being constant rotations of new builds because the AI counters your weapons every turn.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular

This? No, this is someone else's silverware. I uh, I bought it at a flea market. I have no idea where yours went.
    /sold it in some back alley and spent the money on cheap booze and entertainment in the company of people of dubious character

Oh and I bought a nifty hat.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I remember Endless Space 1 as being frustrating for how quickly the AI seemingly got ahead of me while I was still trying to figure stuff out, and as others have mentioned, for how rapidly they alter the configurations of their ships when encountering your setup.

That was Amplitude's first Endless outing IIRC, though. They've improved much since then and I've enjoyed each of the subsequent Endless games - which are at least connected canonically if not direct sequels to one another.

My ideal space 4x type game would be a mixture of the complexity of Stellaris with the utterly gorgeous presentation of Endless Space 2

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    DoublySymmetricDoublySymmetric Registered User regular

anything that can be carried, no matter how large or inconsequential

Steam - DoublySymmetric (43687993)
    Blizz ID - DoublySymm#1758
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    21aaa5a597a150906a567dca5ad479d2.jpg

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Huh, any endless space mods I should know about?

Wait, I must kill the space pirates. Yes.....for peace......THROUGH POWER!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

if I recall the story correctly, I had a buddy in high school who took every single item in the entirety of Ultima 5 (maybe 4?) and put all of it on a boat.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Now I want to go load up the TES construction set and make the Broom Dungeon and upload it to Nexus... without any hints to the player that you need to bring ALL THE BROOMS.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Now I want to go load up the TES construction set and make the Broom Dungeon and upload it to Nexus... without any hints to the player that you need to bring ALL THE BROOMS.

Well all the real players will already know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

The enemies should be called the Legion of Broom

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »

Dust devils. And dust bunnies. And the end reward is the Broom of Dustiny.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Call the Brushtice League.

vamen on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

if I recall the story correctly, I had a buddy in high school who took every single item in the entirety of Ultima 5 (maybe 4?) and put all of it on a boat.

That's probably Ultima 7, where ships' holds didn't follow inventory volume rules. I don't think the earlier games had ship storage, and 1-5 didn't really have items or inventory to speak of.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Picked this up on steam a few days ago and loving it:
    https://youtu.be/baqwoasEV7E

Metroidvania by way of Hieronymus Bosch

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

But potions tend to have high value to weight ratios too.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

You're not wrong.

But what happens is... I pick them up ("oh, I can at least sell this.") and then ... "I might need this someday"...

And before you know it, I have 270 pounds of potions I can't sell and won't use.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

You're not wrong.

But what happens is... I pick them up ("oh, I can at least sell this.") and then ... "I might need this someday"...

And before you know it, I have 270 pounds of potions I can't sell and won't use.

Let me tell you about Fallout 76 and my tons of rotten food and vegetables because I never eat or drink all the things I cook....

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Or wheels of cheese.

So much cheese.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

You're not wrong.

While I'll often end up with a collection of crafting ingredients, decorative items, weapons, pants taken from assassination victims, and bits of equipment with situational bonuses I might want to use later, I am at least not as susceptible to this form of video game hoarding in games where restorative effects are common.

Part of it may be due to one of my earlier RPGs having a money generating loop involving buying potion ingredients and selling the crafted potions for a good profit.

But the bigger part may be Fallout 1 being one of my first PC games on the first computer that was fully mine and currency was so uncommon early on while antivenin made by turning in heavy radscorpion tails to an npc had a great value to weight ratio so I would do a lot of bartering with the stuff.

That also meant I never used the stuff when poisoned because I might to sell it some day . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

You're not wrong.

Let me tell you about Fallout 76 and my tons of rotten food and vegetables because I never eat or drink all the things I cook....

Yeah, me too, but rotted foodstuff still has a use in FO76, at least.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

You're not wrong.

Yeah, me too, but rotted foodstuff still has a use in FO76, at least.

I have enough fertilizer stored to get me on an FBI watchlist

• Options
    4x6ofqebtqxd.png

In other news, @Shade is still a monster. Details at 11.

Thanks for Druidstone! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Look, if they didn't want me to have them, they shouldn't keep a bucket in the room.

I figure ES NPCs are secretly birds. Cover their head and they think it's bedtime

• Options
    Pixie - give impressions of Druidstone! I've been eyeballing that one but haven't see anyone I know give commentary.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Reminder: 2 copies, ends September 12th at 6pm cst.

signature.png

And the giveaway has ended. @Kalnaur and @cB557 are the winners.

Kalnuar, I have sent your copy. cB, I've sent you a friend request, please dm when accepted.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Call the Brushtice League.

You're all fuller crap!

• Options
    Greedfall bought. Character creation super disappointing. Lip sync is godawful.

Rest of the game better be good. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Greedfall bought. Character creation super disappointing. Lip sync is godawful.

Rest of the game better be good. :lol:

Sounds like a Spiders game already.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

Bethesda has trained you well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Calescent wrote: »
    Humble Bundle is offering the Endless Space Collection for free until September 14 at 10am Pacific time or while supplies last.

zhaotdn5piaw.jpg

(I'm following in @HiT BiT's footsteps by adding an image to these free game announcements; it really does make them look better.)

Oooh this game looks cool! Oh... Uh... Apparently I already have it???

Yeah, about that....
    Loading...?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Reminder: 2 copies, ends September 12th at 6pm cst.

signature.png

And the giveaway has ended. Kalnaur and cB557 are the winners.

Kalnuar, I have sent your copy. cB, I've sent you a friend request, please dm when accepted.

Many thanks, destroyah! Now I have another beat em up to play with the wife! :heartbeat:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
This discussion has been closed.