As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together is here: The whole internet can be your co-op couch now

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I mentioned it earlier in the thread or late last thread, but I've been struggling to make time for games lately, and when I do it is an 'endless' game like Hearthstone, or Auto Chess, or Apex. I have a huge backlog of games that I would love to play at least try out, but sometimes after a long day of work I just want to play something a bit mindless and not jump into a huge narrative.

I just sent you a bunch of perfect games to fill that void in your life. Into the Breach is perfect for burst gameplay without getting slogged into a story. Episode 1 Racer is woo-hoo, old-school fast racing (and surprisingly good!). Can't speak on the cat game, but it looked like a metroid game, so take that for what it is.

My recommendation would be to stream some Into the Breach. I'd tune in and offer up advice if you're stuck.

I might actually have a chance to stream tonight. I really wanna play Gato Roboto, I just had a SN30 Pro+ delivered yesterday too.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Hand of Fate 1+2 are also pretty good for jumping in and jumping out, due to the episodic nature of the game, and how you start from scratch every adventure.

Like, I haven't finished HoF 2, because I can jump in and out of it easily.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    There's a sale on Origin, and uh

yeah.
    Things happened.
    Anyway, in totally unrelated news, if I were to play the entire ME trilogy with all the DLCs and start with ME1, and cheat I don't have to Mako across the planets to mine some minerals... does cheating change the save file and penalize me in the sequels?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

yeah.
    Things happened.
    Anyway, in totally unrelated news, if I were to play the entire ME trilogy with all the DLCs and start with ME1, and cheat I don't have to Mako across the planets to mine some minerals... does cheating change the save file and penalize me in the sequels?

The only thing the save import function reads are story flags, so unless you're really messing around with the quest flags in some weird ways, cheesing your way through with all of the vespene gas won't do anything.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

yeah.
    Things happened.

No, not in any way that I have ever seen.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I still stand by my love of the Mako and the parts involving said Mako.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Mako for life.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I'm not in the "fuck the Mako" camp, but driving across weird planets to mine resources is not necessarily the most interesting part, especially because I played ME1 before (I just don't have my old-ass save anymore)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DoublySymmetricDoublySymmetric Registered User regular
    I missed the mako in the sequels. It was fun.

Planets could have been a little more filled with stuff, but still fun.

Steam - DoublySymmetric (43687993)
    Blizz ID - DoublySymm#1758
  • Options
    Well, and the hovercraft DLC in later games was just not the answer for the longing of the mako gameplay, at all.

But that's EA for you.

• Options
    One thing I learned from my first playthrough back in the day is that the idea of the Infiltrator class does not play out in the actual gameplay

goddamn that made the game so much harder than it had to be

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    One thing I learned from my first playthrough back in the day is that the idea of the Infiltrator class does not play out in the actual gameplay

Infiltrator was how I got through Insane difficulty, though. Stealthing in-between sniper shots is how I got through some of the hardest fights, especially the Collectors in ME2

• Options

After playing through the first game as an engineer, I later learned that the biotics were SUPER broken, and literally broke the game.

Oh well. :)

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Infiltrator was how I got through Insane difficulty, though. Stealthing in-between sniper shots is how I got through some of the hardest fights, especially the Collectors in ME2

I remember it feeling not as awesome as it sounded. It got way better in ME2 though afair, yeah.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Speaking of endless games, Spelunky 2 just got delayed and is no longer coming out this year. Derek Yu just tweeted about it last night.

Personally, I can wait. I've been taking a deep dive into old 8- and 16-bit games lately. I haven't done much with Steam in a while.

• Options
    Yeah, in ME1, biotic was supreme.

In ME2, everything was super balanced, but Sentinel was goddamn amazing.

In ME3, I was just like, "Here's my turret, I'm gonna go make a sammich"

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    While we are talking about ME, is ME: Andromeda worth 13e? I remember taking one look at the reviews way back when it launched and deciding I could skip it but it's getting pretty cheap now.

ETA: For some reason Origin doesn't want to show me any prices, except when I look at my wishlist. It just shows me what is on sale but not how much the discount is or what the end price is. Weird design choice.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Andromeda is a perfectly okay game that you will almost certainly have an overall enjoyable experience playing.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    General consensus seems to be that if you don't mind spending the money on it you have a decent chance of at least enjoying the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I steered clear of Andromeda too due to all of the bad press, and because I didn't make the next gen console jump when it came out (I had played ME entirely on the 360).

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Internet: ME:A is the worst product bioware has put out

Bioware: Hold my beer

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, and the hovercraft DLC in later games was just not the answer for the longing of the mako gameplay, at all.

But that's EA for you.

Why blame EA? BioWare is perfectly capable of fucking up their own work.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I steered clear of Andromeda too due to all of the bad press, and because I didn't make the next gen console jump when it came out (I had played ME entirely on the 360).

I played it at launch before they even had the patch fixing a bunch of the complaints.

If it had been a new IP and didn't have the Mass Effect brand attached to it, people would have been a lot kinder to it.

• Options
    Origin's storefront website still needs work

Magic carpet still fun but I'm unhappy I cannot win by murdering other wizards on their magic carpets.

Tried hand of fate, managed to not die to lava golems, how is a goblin hunting party rallying lava golems to their cause?

Still, managed to start surviving the first.....floor? of the king of skulls.

• Options

But that's EA for you.

Because a massive amount of disappointing and overpriced DLC is what EA excels at, and a lot of the worst shit in the games industry comes from the top. A lot of the worst shit in every company comes from the top.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

But that's EA for you.

Because a massive amount of disappointing and overpriced DLC is what EA excels at, and a lot of the worst shit in the games industry comes from the top. A lot of the worst shit in every company comes from the top.

And BioWare still managed to fuck up their own work.

Mass Effect does not become a better game series by spending little to no money on it.

• Options

But that's EA for you.

Mass Effect does not become a better game series by spending little to no money on it.

I didn't say that it does.

• Options

But that's EA for you.

Blaming EA for the failure of a game and using their pricing/marketing as a reason suggests otherwise.

The removal of the Mako from ME2 was BioWare's decision. Monetising the hovercraft DLC was probably EA's. But, except for one non-DLC mission, there was no other use for the hovercraft anyway.

The design of ME2 was a total reaction to gameplay criticisms of ME1. Including the loss of the execrable Mako and doubling down on the boring-ass planet scanning. All that, and more, rests with BioWare.

• Options
    I bought ME:A after the 1.10 (I think that's the patch number) update hit. It was, for the most part, a very solid Mass Effect game. I really did enjoy the single player, and the multi-player was an improvement (play-wise) over ME3. Jet-packs are a good thing. Also, no "one-button-to-rule-them-all" (in ME3 the space bar did EVERYTHING - sprint, cover, interact).

The problems:

- no story DLC. We'll never know what happened to the Quarian Ark. :-(

- The MP weapon grind:

- --After getting all the silver level weapons up to level 10 (through loot box mechanics), you now unlock (3) variations on each of those same weapons, which also have 10 levels. So, for, say, the silver level sniper rifle, there are 40 cards to fully unlock the sniper rifle and all it's variants.
    - --They did this with ALL the gold tier and platinum tier weapons. The number of weapon level ups needed max the manifest is ASTRONOMICAL. I have a buddy who still plays daily who is just now almost to max manifest.

- The MP character grind (not nearly as bad as the weapon grind):
    - --For the silver, gold, and platinum tiers, you need to get all the characters up to level 10. AFTER that, you can start to get drops that will eventually bump your character up to level 20. The only problem with this is that bonus stat points were tied to the "bonus" 10 levels.

I thought the graphics and facial animations were fine.

• Options

But that's EA for you.

Blaming EA for the failure of a game and using their pricing/marketing as a reason suggests otherwise.

The removal of the Mako from ME2 was BioWare's decision. Monetising the hovercraft DLC was probably EA's. But, except for one non-DLC mission, there was no other use for the hovercraft anyway.

The design of ME2 was a total reaction to gameplay criticisms of ME1. Including the loss of the execrable Mako and doubling down on the boring-ass planet scanning. All that, and more, rests with BioWare.

You forgot to mention the probing. ;-)

• Options

But that's EA for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvbmKWMhjb0

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I bought ME:A after the 1.10 (I think that's the patch number) update hit. It was, for the most part, a very solid Mass Effect game. I really did enjoy the single player, and the multi-player was an improvement (play-wise) over ME3. Jet-packs are a good thing. Also, no "one-button-to-rule-them-all" (in ME3 the space bar did EVERYTHING - sprint, cover, interact).

The problems:

- no story DLC. We'll never know what happened to the Quarian Ark. :-(

- The MP weapon grind:

- --After getting all the silver level weapons up to level 10 (through loot box mechanics), you now unlock (3) variations on each of those same weapons, which also have 10 levels. So, for, say, the silver level sniper rifle, there are 40 cards to fully unlock the sniper rifle and all it's variants.
    - --They did this with ALL the gold tier and platinum tier weapons. The number of weapon level ups needed max the manifest is ASTRONOMICAL. I have a buddy who still plays daily who is just now almost to max manifest.

- The MP character grind (not nearly as bad as the weapon grind):
    - --For the silver, gold, and platinum tiers, you need to get all the characters up to level 10. AFTER that, you can start to get drops that will eventually bump your character up to level 20. The only problem with this is that bonus stat points were tied to the "bonus" 10 levels.

I thought the graphics and facial animations were fine.

Reading about the characters and story and writing made me skeptical about getting it, personally. Like, even outside of all the technical issues the game had at launch, the writing itself just sounded kinda bad, especially compared to how great some of the writing in the main Mass Effect games was.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    reinstalling sword of the stars: the pit because you people got me interested in broad space universes and EA/Bioware should have popped out something low tech like this to sate the hunger of fans.

I mean, not an xcom clone, but something in that universe that has some bite to it.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

But that's EA for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvbmKWMhjb0

Kabuto the Python and B.C. did an entire EP of Mass Effect stuff. It's largely great. And free.

http://scrubclubrecords.com/new/releases/n7-ep/

• Options

But that's EA for you.

What the fuck are you talking about?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Guys, guys, all this Mass Effect talk is gonna make Pixie start another playthrough. We gotta move on.

• Options

But that's EA for you.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Was your bringing up EA and suggesting their fault in a discussion about Mass Effect somehow not in reference to failures in recent BioWare titles which happen to include Mass Effect? Sorry. My mistake.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Guys, guys, all this Mass Effect talk is gonna make Pixie start another playthrough. We gotta move on.

What do you mean? It's been at least five minutes since her last one. She's due another one.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

I agree, change of topic. Maybe if we talk about FF14, Pixie will finally play that game past level 15.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hunie cam looks like a less interesting version of all the sim brothel game prototypes I've found.

Clicking just to pad the gameplay out

This discussion has been closed.