As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Melnyk is an embarrassment to the league and every week that passes that he is not forced to sell the team is a failure on the part of the commissioner and board of governors. Do you realize how bad someone needs to be for me to feel bad for Senators fans?

to expand on Cello's point, the salary floor, the minimum value of player contracts a team needs to carry is $60.2 million. The Sens are currently sitting at about $65 million in contracts, but because of stuff like the injured player insurance and trading for players after their July 1st bonuses have already been paid, the actual payroll amount for the sens is only $47.5 million. They are making decisions based not on "what will make the team better" but "how can we spend as little as possible while still technically following the rules"

it's pathetic

There's no shortage of people who'd happily support the team, too! But no one wants to go to a game when this guy is the owner.

Every time there's a rumour of a buyout (e.g. from the owner of the Ottawa CFL team, or the guy who owns Cirque du Soleil) it's all anyone will talk about in this city for at least a week

And yet

Suddenly, visions of Cirque performers in hockey gear doing impossible gymnastics involving trapeze and trampolines and no safety nets and scoring goals. The sport of the future.

God, I want this to happen so badly

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I didn't think this thread would be kept afloat by hockey discussion, but I knew it would.

(please don't take this as discouragement, keep it up)

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hey here's a question, why do all the Canadian hockey teams suck ass right now

Now?

• Options
    The easy answer, from an extreme layman, is that American teams have sooo much more money

their owners are so rich that they can afford to win the cup in a city that doesn't give a shit about it

sig.gif
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    My brother has informed me that he's going to go see Fred Penner this week.

I'm amazed that Fred is still going strong.

I was raised on TVO, so this was my childhood.

Now I watch TVO and Pokaroo is barely shown, a travesty.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    What are PJ Katie and PJ Fresh Phil and the rest of the YTV gang up to these days?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    The easy answer, from an extreme layman, is that American teams have sooo much more money

their owners are so rich that they can afford to win the cup in a city that doesn't give a shit about it

They still want to spend as little of their own money as possible while trying to force cities to foot the bill for their custom arenas that they retain all revenue from.

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
  • Options
    Speaking of not wanting to spend money, I'm leaving the very small 1-bedroom apartment I currently occupy and the property management company just put it up for rent

And increased the rent by $150 to 1400

I lived there for nine months

The floors are a wreck with loose floorboards and half inch gaps, the appliances are all as cheap as possible, the tub is scratched and somehow also rusted while being ceramic, there's no AC, the landlord doesn't take care of the backyard so it's just full of shit from another tenant's dog (and the issue that I opened on it because I didn't want my unvaccinated puppy to get sick still remains open), and the furnace next door made such a loud and rhythmic banging noise I sent multiple recordings to the landlord with no result (until summer when it was presumably turned off)

In essence, fuck landlords and also this market

Steam
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    Speaking of not wanting to spend money, I'm leaving the very small 1-bedroom apartment I currently occupy and the property management company just put it up for rent

And increased the rent by $150 to 1400

I lived there for nine months

The floors are a wreck with loose floorboards and half inch gaps, the appliances are all as cheap as possible, the tub is scratched and somehow also rusted while being ceramic, there's no AC, the landlord doesn't take care of the backyard so it's just full of shit from another tenant's dog (and the issue that I opened on it because I didn't want my unvaccinated puppy to get sick still remains open), and the furnace next door made such a loud and rhythmic banging noise I sent multiple recordings to the landlord with no result (until summer when it was presumably turned off)

In essence, fuck landlords and also this market

Holy shit that’s horrible.

You’ve seen my place, it’s not great but it’s bigger than yours and it’s also (now) 600 bucks cheaper.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    In important Canadian news, today i learned that the postal code for Grafton, Ontario is K0K 2G0

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The building I'm in was a steal when we moved in. Just under $1200 for not quite 1200 sq. ft. of space, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom. That was... 8 years ago?

We've lived there long enough that rent (with parking) is going for just over $1600 now, and we're lucky in that hydro is included in our rent. New tenants moving in to the building? Pay for that yourselves, and the same apartment is probably going for $1700.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Speaking of Canada... I posted a thread in the Help/Advice forum regarding advice for my roommate who just got denied an extension on his work permit to remain in Canada. This is a hard blow to us, and we want to do what we can to help.

Not sure if anyone here has some quick advice about immigration/work-permit extensions? Other than the obvious "get advice from an immigration lawyer."

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The building I'm in was a steal when we moved in. Just under $1200 for not quite 1200 sq. ft. of space, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom. That was... 8 years ago?

We've lived there long enough that rent (with parking) is going for just over $1600 now, and we're lucky in that hydro is included in our rent. New tenants moving in to the building? Pay for that yourselves, and the same apartment is probably going for $1700.

Yeah, it doesn't include hydro either, and parking is an extra $150 on top of that

So if you're in need of a car the cost probably comes to somewhere around 1900 for internet, hydro, rent, and parking alone

And while the immediate area is nice, it's a few blocks away from a safe injection site and several of the most recent gun/knife violence occurrences

I don't know how single parents get by, here

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Canada
    what did canada ever do for me huh

A surprising amount of psychedelic research!

• Options
    Is this the Letterkenny thread now?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I have been vaguely lead to understand that Letterkenny is Trailer Park Boys but with better manners and more homophobia is that a flightworthy appraisal

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I have been vaguely lead to understand that Letterkenny is Trailer Park Boys but with better manners and more homophobia is that a flightworthy appraisal

Uhh, other viewers please chime in, but I find Letterkenny to be the less homophobic-ish than TPB?

Canadian Hockey Masculinity as a brand definitely goes to those places on the show, but they also showcase some pretty nontraditional ways of expressing masculinity. And Katy is queer/poly as fuuuuuck.

Usagi on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    there are some mildly homophobic one liners in letterkenny
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE
    like not much worse than in the first scene

but the show actually has quite a bit to say about queer identity and representation

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »

Uhh, other viewers please chime in, but I find Letterkenny to be the less homophobic-ish than TPB?

Canadian Hockey Masculinity as a brand definitely goes to those places on the show, but they also showcase some pretty nontraditional ways of expressing masculinity. And Katy is queer/poly as fuuuuuck.

It's the first I've heard of it being homophobic, but I've only ever seen a few episodes

Steam
  • Options
    Queer friends (couples even) of mine are pretty okay with Letterkenny. I can't admit to having seen an episode, but I figure if the gays are okay with hearing homophobic lines on TV and still recommending the show to their friends, it either can't be all that bad, or it's easy to write it off as "just jokes on TV".

I'm sure everyone handles hearing homophobia differently, though. Just like if you're non-white and hear a racist joke or see a racist-looking situation. It's going to impact the individual person differently in every case.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    they definitely fly close to the sun on the topic, but even the shitty hockey bros are portrayed as decent, if ignorant of proper terminology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG2blKU8O5k

• Options
  • Options
    they definitely fly close to the sun on the topic, but even the shitty hockey bros are portrayed as decent, if ignorant of proper terminology

various folks in the comments saying they couldn't understand a word of this

which seems weird, I guess because I'm an ontarian but it doesn't feel like that strong of an accent/dialect switch

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

which seems weird, I guess because I'm an ontarian but it doesn't feel like that strong of an accent/dialect switch

I understood what each and every word was, but what most of it meant strung together completely escaped me.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

The first episode has a LOT of gay jokes directed at the main character. The ones making the jokes are clearly jerks, but also it feels like you’re still supposed to laugh.

The show gets way better, but that first episode is rough.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

I understood what each and every word was, but what most of it meant strung together completely escaped me.

Ron and Dax were speaking pretty fluent Hockey, to make sure things were in terms the jocks understood

here's another one that makes it pretty clear where the show and its heroes stand on the topic of bigotry, in something closer to english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjIUG2YN7Y8

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The Montreal Pride Parade is this weekend!
    montreal-pride-journee-communautaire.jpg
    I wish I weren't working and could attend.
    I also wish Legault wasn't attending.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    That doesn't look like Rue St. Catherines!

• Options
    The pride parade goes down Rene-Levesque, which is probably what that street is. Could also just be a side street, but I'm guessing that sign is the intersection of Rene-Levesque and Alexandre-DeSeve

• Options
    Ours is the weekend following! I've heard that internally things are a little messy but hopefully everything turns out okay

We also had a Winter Pride last year which apparently ruled, and culminated in a Winter pride parade! And some ice-themed drag nights, which I really wanted to see but the wind was ridiculous

Steam
  • Options
    I do think winter parades should be more of a thing.
    You would have to have more of an assumption that it could be cancelled or delayed more easily than one in the summer, but I think it'd be gorgeous

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man i wanna go to Montreal Pride, that looks baller.
    I guess i could rent a car or something.

• Options
    It should be a pretty nice day on Sunday if you do make the trip

6m0gq1zqfcvw.png

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The difference between Letterkenny and Trailer Park Boys

is that Letterkenny is good

and Trailer Park Boys is bad

that's right, fight me about it, cowards

• Options
    but what about NA NA

NA NA NANANANAA

NANANNANANA

TRAIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNUJYqZ4rcE

NA NA NANANANAA

NANANNANANA

TRAIN

• Options
    a show about people eternally stuck on sub-par public transit is perhaps the most canadian a show can be

• Options
    I've only been to Montreal a couple of times. First time was during a gay event in March, like... 14 years ago. The event included a dinner at Sugar Shack which sounded decadent.

The other time was driving through en route to the Calypso water park. We stopped in Montreal for the night. Trouble was, it was during Osheaga weekend, so hotels were expensive, and parking was impossible. We got lucky, but man, the hotel was a total rip-off for the rate, on top of the AC not working at all.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    im in Minnesota, which is basically south Canada. ive also been around long enough to remember a time when you could cross the border without a passport or really anything other than a fine how do you do. I used to go visit a lot more back then.

• Options
    I've never done a Sugar Shack dinner

Someday I'll have to, even though it will definitely shave a few years off my life

Steam