As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Yeah a Liberal MP here in Quebec, and an NDP MP nationally have also been caught red-tanned. All of them have resigned as ministers or opposition spokespeople (basically they're now a vote and nothing else).

As far as I know nobody has yet resigned their seat over this.

One Federal Conservative MP stepped down from his role on the *ethics committee* and said he isn't running again, probably closest we'll get
    Canada Thread, it's your monthly check-in

How were the holidays? How's your new year? How many hours a day are you shaking your fist at the sky and angrily screaming DOUG FOOOOOOOORD- oh, is that just me

"My mistake, and I take full responsibility. At that time, I should have said get your backside back into Ontario and I didn't do that."

Everything is on the table, Rolo! We just have to watch the numbers and see where they go and aaaaaaaaggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

numbers going up? seems like a good time to pause vaccinations, everyone go home and visit your family members instead

Honestly, the presser today had an air of desperation of "no, really, Ontario, folks! We're the best in the world! We're never second place! We're doing great!!!!!!"

I'll be interested to see a public opinion poll in 2 weeks now that ICUs have hit the fucking cap

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I mean, they've gotten things to the "refrigerated trucks for morgues" stage now.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Still feeling vaguely guilty checking on this thread from Nova Scotia,

How were the holidays? How's your new year? How many hours a day are you shaking your fist at the sky and angrily screaming DOUG FOOOOOOOORD- oh, is that just me

Still feeling vaguely guilty posting from NS, where our second wave peaked at 142 active cases back in late November

we're down to 3 new cases and 19 active today

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Never feel guilty for having a competent government. The rest of us wish we were in your shoes.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Still feeling vaguely guilty posting from NS, where our second wave peaked at 142 active cases back in late November

Doug, I need you to live vicariously for the Canada thread

Have a meal at a restaurant, a pint of draft beer, play a board game, visit a friend indoors, go to a mall

Steam
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Doug, I need you to live vicariously for the Canada thread

Have a meal at a restaurant, a pint of draft beer, play a board game, visit a friend indoors, go to a mall

I did have scallops eggs benedict and a pomegranate mimosa for brunch with my dad/sister at a really neat little spot in the middle of nowhere on sunday

I'll pass on the mall, but having a couple friends over for boardgames/VR does sound pretty good. Just want to wait another week or two to make sure we're clear of any holiday-related spikes

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Ya I've developed a serious medical condition over the holidays , haven't been able to get answers and just keep getting shipped home with painkillers because our hospital for the valley is overwhelmed atm.

Also is McElroy from B.C.?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    He's a reporter for the CBC. A different McElroy from the internet famous ones.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    my reserve got through the first wave fairly unscathed.

now we've got a potential outbreak at our elder's lodge and a fairly well regarded medicine woman is calling covid fake.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

now we've got a potential outbreak at our elder's lodge and a fairly well regarded medicine woman is calling covid fake.

Ah man, I'm really sorry to hear it

Are you guys likely to get vaccines in the first phase at least? (Not sure where your reserve is located)

Steam
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    plGgDNZ.jpg

amateurs!

this is how the #1 province gets the highest score!

• Options
    plGgDNZ.jpg

amateurs!

this is how the #1 province gets the highest score!

Best in the world!! Second to no one let's GO

Steam
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Ah man, I'm really sorry to hear it

Are you guys likely to get vaccines in the first phase at least? (Not sure where your reserve is located)

Fortunately it looks like the elders at the lodge are due to start getting it tomorrow along with the healthcare workers, with the rest rolling out over the next bunch of weeks.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I was reading the BC CDC vaccine info page and it seems to me like everything is moving way faster than I thought?

It said they're expecting to finish vaccinating priority populations in March with general population starting right afterwards? I'm not counting chickens but if we could get vaccinated in April or May I'd be stoked.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    I was reading the BC CDC vaccine info page and it seems to me like everything is moving way faster than I thought?

It said they're expecting to finish vaccinating priority populations in March with general population starting right afterwards? I'm not counting chickens but if we could get vaccinated in April or May I'd be stoked.

Do keep in mind they'll probably be going down the list from there

So like, people above 80, then 75, then 70, 65, and then gen pop

But I also think a lot of the estimates for timing are also based solely on Pfizer and Moderna since governments love having a long due date they can be ahead of instead of behind, so once a few more shots get approved we may see timetables shorten

It'd be nice to go to a patio this summer!

Steam
  • Options
    Priority order for BC is here:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/vaccines

Cello is right about it being likely to take a whole and that governments will tend to give conservative timelines. I work in the public sector and the reason we do that kind of thing is that if you promise a date for just about anything and don’t meet it you will get destroyed in the media and public over it.

We’ve already seen nationally the feds switch from “ everyone in Canada who needs it vaccinated by end of 2021” to by end of September 2021.

There’s reason to hope it will be earlier than September even, but still best to keep expectations conservative.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm including that. The first priority group should be finished in February, with the 2nd priority group (general medical/hospital workers, older folks not in the first group, the rest of the remote indigenous populations etc.) Those are expected to be vaccinated feb-march

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Corvus wrote: »

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/vaccines

Cello is right about it being likely to take a whole and that governments will tend to give conservative timelines. I work in the public sector and the reason we do that kind of thing is that if you promise a date for just about anything and don’t meet it you will get destroyed in the media and public over it.

We’ve already seen nationally the feds switch from “ everyone in Canada who needs it vaccinated by end of 2021” to by end of September 2021.

There’s reason to hope it will be earlier than September even, but still best to keep expectations conservative.

Honestly I'm just excited they keep repeating the September date because I would be very thrilled to have a birthday party this year

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

Honestly I'm just excited they keep repeating the September date because I would be very thrilled to have a birthday party this year

We gotta put the karaoke machine to work!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »

We gotta put the karaoke machine to work!

God, that thing is gonna be used for like a week straight if everyone I know in the country has their shots by then

Steam
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The fact that they’re promising vaccines done by end of September implies that the pandemic will be over a while before that, too. I think summer parties are both likely and a necessity.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    The fact that they’re promising vaccines done by end of September implies that the pandemic will be over a while before that, too. I think summer parties are both likely and a necessity.

I think your faith in people to wear masks, distance, and be generally smart about pandemic protocols in advance of the vaccine is a bit overblown sadly

• Options
    I’m actually in a spot where I’ll be able to take the occasional trip, once trips are a thing again

So whenever we’re able to do another CanadaPAX I am absolutely on board

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »

I think your faith in people to wear masks, distance, and be generally smart about pandemic protocols in advance of the vaccine is a bit overblown sadly

Even with all that, the more people are vaccinated the less the virus will spread. It’s specifically what’s gonna save us from the dumbasses. The virus will necessarily go away before vaccination is complete.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I’m actually in a spot where I’ll be able to take the occasional trip, once trips are a thing again

We were discussing doing Ottawa, forrrrrever ago. It’s probably premature to plan anything for this year but god going around and seeing people would be great. Sometime when it’s safe.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I think we can probably expect that as more and more people get vaccinated, there will be a gradual rolling back of restrictions, once we get our current case numbers under control, which I don't know if we're going to accomplish until after winter.

• Options

We were discussing doing Ottawa, forrrrrever ago. It’s probably premature to plan anything for this year but god going around and seeing people would be great. Sometime when it’s safe.

I have a a bunch of family in Ottawa, including a great-uncle I would love to visit. Absolutely count me in.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Hey nerds make sure to get your money from Microsoft over the class action

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/canada-class-action-settlement-microsoft-1.5840305

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Welp, it’s official, curfew in Quebec starting Saturday and for 4 weeks. Fines go from 1K to 6K.

This really got lost in the shuffle of uh, checks notes, the end of democracy happening at the same time but there you go.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Welp, it’s official, curfew in Quebec starting Saturday and for 4 weeks. Fines go from 1K to 6K.

This really got lost in the shuffle of uh, checks notes, the end of democracy happening at the same time but there you go.

Shit, yeah, this is the first day I haven't done my Depressing Covid News Roundup in weeks

Just too much going on

Steam
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey nerds make sure to get your money from Microsoft over the class action

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/canada-class-action-settlement-microsoft-1.5840305

13 dollars! Wow! I can buy a whole... *checks notes* krispy kreme 12-pack of donuts for that?

And the education sector will get whatever is left, so I'm not gonna claim my first PC (a Dell, bought in 2005). You know, for the children.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

"Liquor stores and cannabis stores remain open. "

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

My understanding is that closing liquor stores creates additional serious risks, both in terms of severe addiction withdrawal, and the potential for domestic abuse exacerbated by abusers going through withdrawal

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

Not during curfew, but yeah, they are considered an essential service.

Some people do need medicinal cannabis, and some alcoholics would indeed die from withdrawal if they couldn’t get their fix, so I get it.

Loto-Quebec still being considered essential can fuck off, though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I can see the argument that they don't want addicts to turn to bookies.

(I mean, that's the basic underpinning reason we have government run gambling: social-control creates a less-harmful alternative to capitalist-control, which ruthlessly exploits and destroys people for a buck.*)

*Have I ever brought up that I don't think gambling should be allowed to advertise?

• Options
    Loto-Quebec's pretend efforts to combat gambling addiction are, to put it mildly, a clownshoes fucking joke. Work a day in a Quebec convenience store and you'll see just how much gambling is a PROBLEM.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Loto-Quebec's pretend efforts to combat gambling addiction are, to put it mildly, a clownshoes fucking joke. Work a day in a Quebec convenience store and you'll see just how much gambling is a PROBLEM.

When I had my store, one of my friends was the owner of the local convenience store. He had a really large section of beer with a bunch of craft beers, he had a food section, as well as all the usual snacks and drinks. It was in a quaint and pretty village, was consistently quite busy.,

He said a typical month meant about 2/3 of total sales were lotto quebec items. He knew of many customers who would tell him they were thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt while buying 100+ dollars of tickets per month or even week.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I don't know if it's just confirmation bias, but it feels like as soon as the PCs got in power the tenor of OLG advertising changed for the worse.

There was one where I just had to tell the radio to fuck off, along the lines of: "gamble if you want your programs funded!"

(And yeah, my first job was at a Petro Canada. Owner spent the whole summer saying "push the coffee, push the coffee". No one comes in here to buy a cup of coffee. It's Red Bull, smokes, and 649.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular