As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Fuck the CPC.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Loto-Quebec's pretend efforts to combat gambling addiction are, to put it mildly, a clownshoes fucking joke. Work a day in a Quebec convenience store and you'll see just how much gambling is a PROBLEM.

I don't know if it's just confirmation bias, but it feels like as soon as the PCs got in power the tenor of OLG advertising changed for the worse.

There was one where I just had to tell the radio to fuck off, along the lines of: "gamble if you want your programs funded!"

(And yeah, my first job was at a Petro Canada. Owner spent the whole summer saying "push the coffee, push the coffee". No one comes in here to buy a cup of coffee. It's Red Bull, smokes, and 649.)

Yeah I worked for years in two separate Shells

the thing about coffee is that the margin on it is HUGE. It's so cheap that they let us take as much as we wanted for free, and I've definitely had a few times where I offered a free one to a customer (one bad incident where a woman came in clearly hiding from an abuser).

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    god

24tgnsqm6pr9.png

This is last night in front of Mont-Royal station in Montreal, protesting the curfew

imagine when your cause is "I won't wear a mask" and you show up with a Guy Fawkes mask and a Quebec flag, 3 days after the US coup attempt. How very normal.

(these people apparently all got a $1,550 fine for being there)

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Zero new cases in NS today, hell yes. There'll be at least one tomorrow as one of the universities confirmed a student case related to travel, but they're already isolating at least.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Record-breaking day in Ontario. Nearly 4k, but apparently that's because they're rolling in some old cases that went unreported. Still, we weren't far off anyway. The next couple days will tell what the curve really looks like, but Jesus, it's not good already.

And through it all, Premier Absentee Dad "won't hesitate" to act if things get worse. How much worse? He won't say. How will be act? He won't say. Does he even have a fucking plan at all? He won't say.

Because if he did, the answer would be no.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Honestly it sounds like a bunch of meaningless words they are saying so they can claim they are doing something

I find it hard to believe that this will actually change anyone's behavior

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Those restrictions aren't going to do jack (with the possible exception of putting schools on remote again?)

And of course without actual enforcement people will just do whatever

AUGH

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Like I've read news reports about the new rules several times and i still can't figure out if i am allowed to have my girlfriend over? I live alone. She's the only person outside of work that i see.

Could we be ticketed? Do i still fall under the rule of "contact allowed with one other household"? Is that still a rule?

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Well, the rules did one thing, which is cancel the one on one cross country ski coaching I was gonna get for another month (come ON it's fully outdoors with tons of meters of distance!!)

But aside from being used to harass and fine homeless people and people of colour? Looking forward to that 10,000 cases a day number, baby

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Like I've read news reports about the new rules several times and i still can't figure out if i am allowed to have my girlfriend over? I live alone. She's the only person outside of work that i see.

Could we be ticketed? Do i still fall under the rule of "contact allowed with one other household"? Is that still a rule?

If you live alone you are still allowed to visit one other household so yeah

Some reporters cleared that up

God this is such a rush job, what was the point of the province taking the weekend to prepare if they're THIS unprepared

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Further, why did they need the whole weekend? There should be an entire full-time department whose job it is to create and update models, to prepare and provide new recommendations. They should never need spend literally any time thinking about this, they should always have an up-to-date full-on view of the situation, projections for a wide variety of possibilities, and the required new restrictions and programs to bring it under control should those lines be breached. That's basic competency for a situation like this, and they can't even handle that let alone the intermediate/advanced shit of actually rolling out recommendation and programs and vaccines.

I don't understand what the fuck is going on over there that they are continually surprised by things and require time to analyze and respond to it. So many dead and infected because of their incredible incompetence, it's infuriating.

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Further, why did they need the whole weekend? There should be an entire full-time department whose job it is to create and update models, to prepare and provide new recommendations. They should never need spend literally any time thinking about this, they should always have an up-to-date full-on view of the situation, projections for a wide variety of possibilities, and the required new restrictions and programs to bring it under control should those lines be breached. That's basic competency for a situation like this, and they can't even handle that let alone the intermediate/advanced shit of actually rolling out recommendation and programs and vaccines.

I don't understand what the fuck is going on over there that they are continually surprised by things and require time to analyze and respond to it. So many dead and infected because of their incredible incompetence, it's infuriating.

this has been constant and annoying, we all know that rapid response and harsh restrictions work, but that is *hard* so they are trying these goddamn half measures, slowly incrementally and the cases just start exploding and going up. The second wave is way worse and make our concerns during the first wave look foolish in hindsight. things are much worse now, and with a vaccine slowly rolling out its the worst time for things to be escalating.
    initially he did some good things, now all that goodwill is pissed away.
    I hate the situation so much.

• Options
    edited January 2021

this has been constant and annoying, we all know that rapid response and harsh restrictions work, but that is *hard* so they are trying these goddamn half measures, slowly incrementally and the cases just start exploding and going up. The second wave is way worse and make our concerns during the first wave look foolish in hindsight. things are much worse now, and with a vaccine slowly rolling out its the worst time for things to be escalating.

Also probably suffering from the layoffs and budget squeeze they did to the health department right before the pandemic

That risk communications expert would probably have been pretty helpful what with how health is constantly at risk right now!

Also God, I don't know how much more screaming JUST GIVE PEOPLE SICK LEAVE at my TV my heart can handle

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the Canadian government was paying subsidies for people to stay at home?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Tef wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the Canadian government was paying subsidies for people to stay at home?

Only if you've become unemployed due to covid or you had to leave work to care for someone with covid or at risk.

Edit: they're also paying employers a percentage of the wages of people they've had to lay off so they can keep them on payroll

#pipe on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    And if you applied during a specific time frame and also made a specific income during the year

It's tremendous means testing bullshit but like compared to the US it's 1/3rd of people not paying rent instead of 1/2

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    For example, beloved forum poster Me was not eligible because due to my depressive episodes in 2019 I did not make sufficient money in the year to qualify for the CERB. The only financial assistance I have received for the covid-19 pandemic was 200$ in March and $500 for living in BC last month.

If your province has let your employer open up, no matter how bad an idea it is for them to do so, you are now considered to be employable and you no longer qualify for CERB.

Basically, the Canadian financial offerings have wound up being pumped up in people's minds because they are still significantly better than the state of the financial assistance in a lot of other western countries that people get news about. But that's more of a condemnation of what those other countries got than a praise of what Canada got.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Well that’s fucking heinous.

Well umm, just like, sing out if any of youse need some help

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeah like, a lot of US-based memes incorrectly assert we're all getting a 2k per month UBI

While I have some optimistic hope UBI becomes a part of the next election cycle, a lot of the benefits we have right now are means tested to hell; some of them clearly anticipated the province to do more and add to them (e.g. the federal sick leave benefit) but since some provinces are run by the right wing, well! Well!!!

CERB/CRB is extremely helpful for my family since usually self-employed people aren't eligible for EI benefits and my Dad can't run his business safely right now, but if you didn't make 5k clear in the last 12 months then you can't apply, and people working essential jobs can't quit to claim it

There are wage subsidies for businesses which were an attempt to keep people employed if they have to stay home, and a program for companies to have rental assistance, but the latter was hamstringed by an idiotic decision to make landlords responsible for applying for the rental assistance and many seemed to take it as a way to clear out tenants and be able to charge higher rent to new businesses (they fixed that afaik but it took several months)

At least in Ontario a lot of the protections in place are basically for the white collar class and the folks who have to go into work are being left to rot while the province deliberates over how to adjust policy to let the rich go to their second residence whenever they feel like it

Federally, what benefits we do have were mostly dragged to a level of usefulness by the left-leaning NDP party, but there's only so much that can be done when they're not in leadership and the Liberals *love* a good means test

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Also probably suffering from the layoffs and budget squeeze they did to the health department right before the pandemic

That risk communications expert would probably have been pretty helpful what with how health is constantly at risk right now!

Also God, I don't know how much more screaming JUST GIVE PEOPLE SICK LEAVE at my TV my heart can handle

This has been not addressed at all, is they spent the months before the pandemic dismantling the local health authorities and public health to streamline and cut bloat. then during the pandemic passing the buck to those same health authorities to enforce and enact proper measures.
    like, everything the ford govt has implemented or tried to implement has had to be walked back, changed or delayed all the time while wasting money and resources leading up to a crisis event, and then just keep on trucking like morons. its bad governance on display, and I don't think they are gonna face any consequences for their track record.
    atthis point I hope the fed govt can mandate or step in on vaccines to make sure they get delivered properly.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

The fact is people like to use Canada as a shining example of a leftist utopia who is just next door to America but so much cooler

When in reality our politics are either
    A: Honeyed words and broken promises
    B: Trump, but FRENCH or
    C: Too little too late

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Same as Australia and NZ isn’t much better tbh

E: I suppose there’s less French

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

The fact is people like to use Canada as a shining example of a leftist utopia who is just next door to America but so much cooler

When did we ever vote in a French(-Canadian) Trump-alike? In the last 50 years, I mean.

Why do you guys hate French so much?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    We love them and they love us!

Alas, the tyranny of distance.

That and the French turned up to Australia around the same time as the poms and said , ‘lol fuck this place’ and left

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

• Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »

When did we ever vote in a French(-Canadian) Trump-alike? In the last 50 years, I mean.

Why do you guys hate French so much?

We never ELECTED one, but that type of politics gets a LOT of play to a slice of the population of Quebec approaching 30%. Legault is certainly the most conservative PM we’ve had since I was born but even he’s “just” your typical neolib.

Maxime Bernier is 100% that guy pipe alluded to, and yes he’s an absolute joke, but he’s a joke representing an increasing faction in this province.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Learned today how apartheid era South Africa used Canada's treatment of Indigenous people as an example of how to oppress people.

• Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    Learned today how apartheid era South Africa used Canada's treatment of Indigenous people as an example of how to oppress people.

Epic hand clasp meme that and how Nazis copied American eugenics

sig.gif
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    If y'all have some bandwidth I highly recommend reading "Clearing the Plains"

It gets some details wrong (horses in NA), but it's a brutal breakdown of how England/HBC/France/proto-Canada did the First Nations dirty

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

Epic hand clasp meme that and how Nazis copied American eugenics

I believe the Nazi's also came to western Canada to study eugenics.

This article is also a good reminder of the diseases Europeans brought with them came ahead of the colonizers in some places:
    Everyone was dead: When Europeans first came to B.C., they stepped into the aftermath of a holocaust

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

It gets some details wrong (horses in NA), but it's a brutal breakdown of how England/HBC/France/proto-Canada did the First Nations dirty

this coming off a letter today that was a bunch of canadian historians who want people to stop being mean to john a macdonald about all the genocide he was responsible for.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

this coming off a letter today that was a bunch of canadian historians who want people to stop being mean to john a macdonald about all the genocide he was responsible for.

I thought some of them were politicians.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options

This has been not addressed at all, is they spent the months before the pandemic dismantling the local health authorities and public health to streamline and cut bloat. then during the pandemic passing the buck to those same health authorities to enforce and enact proper measures.
    like, everything the ford govt has implemented or tried to implement has had to be walked back, changed or delayed all the time while wasting money and resources leading up to a crisis event, and then just keep on trucking like morons. its bad governance on display, and I don't think they are gonna face any consequences for their track record.
    atthis point I hope the fed govt can mandate or step in on vaccines to make sure they get delivered properly.

Hey now we had paid sick leave when Ford got in and now all we have is no sick leave and 44 hour over time

icGJy2C.png
  • Options

I think that lines up with the federal timeline, right

Steam
  • Options
    speaking of canada life, my partner in the states mailed me a small book and several plastic cat gacha figurines for christmas, and today ups invoiced me 135$ for the privilege lol

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    speaking of canada life, my partner in the states mailed me a small book and several plastic cat gacha figurines for christmas, and today ups invoiced me 135$ for the privilege lol

God I fucking hate UPS

They also only do that billing by mail now and if you miss it enjoy being in collections for $20! Love it!!

Steam
  • Options

God I fucking hate UPS

They also only do that billing by mail now and if you miss it enjoy being in collections for $20! Love it!!

Yeah I received the invoice today and it says that the due date was the 5th, thanks buddy.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    So many under cover pigs out getting free fine money

Which like fun oppression from the capitalists we got going on her, the economy's more important then civilian life's and now because they've pretended to care about public health but not since all business is still open there gonna take money from citizens that goes never bothered giving us before

What a fucking joke Jesus Christ

I ain't got a problem with lock down aside from the fact it's way to late and is clearly only so the government can pretend they did all they could during a pandemic where they did fuck all

icGJy2C.png