As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Seriously though 60% of eligible BC residents have at least one vaccine dose as of today and that is only going up and case numbers are dropping in basically perfect inverse proportion and I'm super excited about things going back to normal.

Say what you want about mishandling but it is remarkable how quickly this virus is being brought under control by vaccine. And also remarkable how effectively social restrictions were able to bring it under control in places like New Zealand and Australia.

I'm not minimizing the impact this mess has had, but holy shit even 50 years ago Covid would have been hundreds of times worse.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I'm getting vaccinated tomorrow!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Maybe. Speaking for the US, not Canada, 60 years ago we had a much stronger national response to polio. A few thousand dead per year and a couple tens of thousands paralyzed was considered unacceptable, vs. at least half a million dead here in a year in this pandemic. Perhaps it's because fighting polio didn't involve as significantly stopping economic activity, or businesses were not as hyperaware of the loss of money it would cause them, or the government was not as strongly captured by business interests.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The polio vaccine took 23 years to develop.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Also gonna be honest BZ this is kinda a read the room scenario

Can we just...can we have this moment of levity where things are starting to look good in some of the provinces (Manitoba still in my thoughts, obviously)

And on top of that even our worst performing provinces did close businesses and enact public health policies eventually, this isn't really a good spot to discuss US policy from a US perspective as it's, you know, the Canada thread

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Things are definitely not back to normal yet but it does actually feel like it is on the horizon. As opposed to a couple months ago when things just felt totally fucked.

Al_wat wrote: »
    Things are definitely not back to normal yet but it does actually feel like it is on the horizon. As opposed to a couple months ago when things just felt totally fucked.

Yeah, I think I didn't realize how heavy the pandemic has been weighing on my mind until lately, when I'm finding the stress to be a tiny bit lighter; it's making it a little easier to handle other stressors knowing that like....I can actually see other human beings in person, maybe even with some regularity in a month or two

Steam
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Yeah February and March were rough. I was getting very worried as case rates went super high. I got very obsessed with getting vaccinated as soon as possible, so once BC opened up Astra Zeneca to the Gen-X group I was all over it. Huge relief at that point.

:so_raven:
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Also gonna be honest BZ this is kinda a read the room scenario

Can we just...can we have this moment of levity where things are starting to look good in some of the provinces (Manitoba still in my thoughts, obviously)

And on top of that even our worst performing provinces did close businesses and enact public health policies eventually, this isn't really a good spot to discuss US policy from a US perspective as it's, you know, the Canada thread

sorry, sorry, you're right

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I'll have my first dose immunity tomorrow eeeee this is easily the most excited I've ever been for an autonomous body function that requires no action from me to trigger

sig.gif
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Got shot

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    crossposting from the Quarantimes thread as this is important - the Nova Scotia government is calling in the heavy hitters to encourage everyone to get vaccinated

https://youtu.be/Kkz7of4TWpk

Hell yes, good job Nova Scotia

The initial spread was way bigger than first realized, but enough folks actually followed the emergency restrictions that we stomped the wave into the ground

uozn5kwrt0ax.png

Limited/isolated community spread in Halifax Regional Municipality, but while he didn’t give details Strang seemed confident it wasn’t going to spread further, no signs of community spread anywhere else

Restrictions are going to start being eased back two weeks ahead of schedule, starting this week

Steam
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    do yourself a favour and don't dig too deep into the replies of that tweet

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    CBC interviews with city officials talking in mild tones about that shit make me want to fucking puke and legally actionable statement

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor

Derrick O’Keefe
    @derrickokeefe
    ·
    17h
    How it started, how it’s going.

edited July 2021
    Now do private rental market construction numbers for the same time periods! It makes the picture even worse.

Edit: You know what, I'll do it.

72% of Rental Apartments in Canada were built before 19 freaking 80. Which means a lot of those buildings are getting towards the end of their useful life, and we haven't been building much rental for the last 40 years, which coincides with the Federal Government basically abandoning all involvement in social housing in the 1990s (thanks Chretien!)

Source: CMHC Housing Market Info Portal https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/hmip-pimh/#Profile/1/1/Canada

Corvus on
    I sure fucking hope a lot of Toronto cops quit before/after yesterday's shameful display.

Imagine being told to physically assault peaceful protestors so you can get past them in order to destroy the meager possessions of homeless people and just saying "yeah cool let's get this bread"

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I sure fucking hope a lot of Toronto cops quit before/after yesterday's shameful display.

yeah I'm not going to hold my breath on that one

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ACAB, baby!

liEt3nH.png

"the only way" - mayor.
    "least amount of force", "appropriate force" - toronto police.

photo by @Lachancephoto https://t.co/8bYjmQcuqd

sadly this sums it up https://t.co/pNMRO8E7A4

This is me being choked. Media feel free to get in touch.

#pipe wrote: »

Imagine being told to physically assault peaceful protestors so you can get past them in order to destroy the meager possessions of homeless people and just saying "yeah cool let's get this bread"

Pretty sure this is a perk of the job for many of these people.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Just hopping into this quiet thread to post a reminder that many of the most amusing members of this thread are also regulars at the PA Isolation Squad Discord, and you can be too!

Join us at https://discord.gg/JRdtZW2P!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Good morning Canada Thread

Whoooooooooooooo's ready for an election?

Steam
  • shergakshergak Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Good morning Canada Thread

Whoooooooooooooo's ready for an election?

I am definitely not. Not gonna be fun for public servants.

hooray! erections!

Can't believe they dropped the writ during brunch

I missed all but Annamie Paul's speech, where you could see the tape holding her sign onto what was either a very cheap podium or a folding chair, which to me was very funny given the Green Party's whole deal this year

Steam
    For those folks who would like to vote by mail this election:

Steam
    thank god i can fax in my information

liEt3nH.png
    thank god i can fax in my information

Hey now maybe you live in a hospital, seeing as they still use faxes for personal information for some reason

Steam
    it's like, i get it, but also, every time you see that you understand how much of the infrastructure of the country is neither controlled by nor influenced by your generation

liEt3nH.png
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Seriously, I was allowed to vote by email in the last US election, this is absurd

I don't have a problem with registering to vote by fax being an option, the more ways to do it the better.

I have a problem when fax is the only way to submit paperwork, but that's getting less common.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Looking forward to the Liberals risking lives to firmly establish another shaky minority government.

Oh my God

The Conservatives announced their platform release today

And it, honest to God, features this as its cover

Steam
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Is it supposed to look like a fitness magazine for Dads?

Fencingsax on