Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Canadalings I am visiting Prince Edward Island in October.

Show up if you want an absolutely solid ass kicking.

I hope you have fun, but you should know that because PEI is a major tourist destination, like 90% of businesses outside Charlottetown and Summerside close after September long weekend

I've been living in PEI for the last year and a half, almost two years, but unfortunately I'll probably be gone in October :(

Yeah Charlottetown is where we're going.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    montreal broadly is also really conscious of the fact that they are a place of business for a lot of people, so they're totally expecting there to people coming in from the EU whom are using english as their business trip tongue, it shouldn't be a problem

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    In Quebec City, and for the brief while that I was in Saguenay, the default was french, but most locals found my french accent and language skills so appalling that they switched to heavily accented english, which eventually left everyone unable to say what they wanted or understand what the other person was saying

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    In Quebec City, and for the brief while that I was in Saguenay, the default was french, but most locals found my french accent and language skills so appalling that they switched to heavily accented english, which eventually left everyone unable to say what they wanted or understand what the other person was saying

the Tower of Brolo effect

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    I visited Montreal way back in 2012 and had no problem getting around with English (and some school french, but as my third language my vocabulary is very limited)

If you are by chance you are in a university that has eduroam (joint WiFi networks across the globe), I found that there were plenty of hotspots around town due to a local university (McGill I think?), So at least back then I just shut off roaming and used that / hotel WiFi and was fine.

I also enjoyed both the velodrome zoo and the botanical garden. They had a nice section with bonsai trees, as well as more classical garden arrangements.

There's also an amusement park that had some good rides if that is of interest.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    Hey Canada (thread). I'm going to a conference in Montreal at the end of October. Even though I now have both family and friends living in Canada, it will be my first time visiting (from Germany).

Obvious questions are:
    Can I get by with English?
    The conference says hotels are bad and I should just use AirBnB. Any experience with that in Montreal specifically? The conference is at the University, which looks like it's fairly central?
    Can I just walk into a shop and come out with a SIM card for my phone? How expensive is this? Can't be more expensive than the arm and leg my home provider demands for roaming in NA, right?
    I will have some time off and will prob just stay after after the conference for a couple days. What are the best things to see in Montreal?
    I'm casually into hockey, and I saw that the Canadiens will have a home game on a day where the conference has no social event scheduled. Is it feasible to spontaneously get tickets? Hockey games don't sell out here (like, regular season games), but maybe that's different in Canada?

if you can't get tickets to the Canadiens, but still want to see some hockey there's also the QMJHL (junior hockey, potential future NHLers trying to prove themselves) and AHL (North America's second-tier league, mix of developing prospects too old for the junior leagues, and veterans who aren't quite able to crack an NHL roster). For the former there's the Blainsville-Boisbriand Armada, and the latter has the Laval Rocket, both playing out of suburbs/neighbouring cities to Montreal.

as for food, poutine has of course been mentioned, but Montreal's also famous for bagels and smoked meat sandwiches

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    Hey Canada (thread). I'm going to a conference in Montreal at the end of October. Even though I now have both family and friends living in Canada, it will be my first time visiting (from Germany).

Obvious questions are:
    Can I get by with English?
    The conference says hotels are bad and I should just use AirBnB. Any experience with that in Montreal specifically? The conference is at the University, which looks like it's fairly central?
    Can I just walk into a shop and come out with a SIM card for my phone? How expensive is this? Can't be more expensive than the arm and leg my home provider demands for roaming in NA, right?
    I will have some time off and will prob just stay after after the conference for a couple days. What are the best things to see in Montreal?
    I'm casually into hockey, and I saw that the Canadiens will have a home game on a day where the conference has no social event scheduled. Is it feasible to spontaneously get tickets? Hockey games don't sell out here (like, regular season games), but maybe that's different in Canada?

if you can't get tickets to the Canadiens, but still want to see some hockey there's also the QMJHL (junior hockey, potential future NHLers trying to prove themselves) and AHL (North America's second-tier league, mix of developing prospects too old for the junior leagues, and veterans who aren't quite able to crack an NHL roster). For the former there's the Blainsville-Boisbriand Armada, and the latter has the Laval Rocket, both playing out of suburbs/neighbouring cities to Montreal.

as for food, poutine has of course been mentioned, but Montreal's also famous for bagels and smoked meat sandwiches

In terms of the tourist favourites:

La Viateur for Montreal style bagels
    La Banquise is my favourite for poutine
    Schwartz's is the tourist Montreal Smoked Meat place but I'm not sure what the current local favourite places are since when I visit we usually just hit the closest place for it

If you're there for October you may be able to capitalize on some Halloween events as well, I'm told La Ronde (the amusement park) may have some fun stuff

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    As a GTA'er whose brother lived in Montreal for about 10 years I can say this: You can absolutely get by just fine in English there and be welcomed as long you try with a Bonjour/Merci to any clerks/servers who help you. Trust me, they'll know from how atrocious your "bonjour" is that you're an Anglo and respond accordingly. EXCEPT at the many Markets (Atwater in particular in my experience and I had a better experience at Jean Talon).... but as my brother said to me (geez, 15 years ago?), "OK, stick close to me and if you want something let me know. Ici, vile parle francais." because the rural farmers/sellers who only rarely come into the city do not have nearly as much patience as the cityfolk do with Anglos. It might also have been my skintone as well as not being a Quebecer (as I'm almost positive it was in Quebec City about 5 years ago), but I do not want to cast aspersions on mildly rude people selling me funky cheeses.

Montreal has a great nightlife and a very good foodie scene for having some fun after your conference is over.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I was in Montreal for about 2 hours earlier this year before a bearded hipster gave me and my 70 year old Australian parents shit for speaking English.

That was the only bad experience we had, but it put a real nasty taste in my mouth.

For a sim card, go to 7/11. You'll get what you need for about $15.

For hockey tickets, the best way I've found to buy tickets is on Stubhub. Season ticket holders sell their tickets to games they won't go to.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Oh, not sure if there's tipping culture where you're from, but aim for at least 15 to 20% when you buy food or drinks from places

I went several years ago with folks from my uni to a student bar and a person I was with was reamed by a bartender for tipping 10%

The Montreal waitstaff do not seem to be afraid to ask for what they're worth

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Agreed that you'll get by fine in Montreal with English.

If you're interested in some finer dining options, the best meal I've had in my entire life was in Montreal at Joe Beef. It's pricey but god damn if it wasn't a revelation.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    #pipe wrote: »
    For a sim card, go to 7/11. You'll get what you need for about $15.

Just a very small aside - 7/11 doesn't exist in Quebec. The most common replacement is Couche tard or Boni Soir, but you'll also find a bunch of independent looking corner stores (depanneurs).

I'm pretty sure you could still get sim cards at a couche tard though.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    montreal broadly is also really conscious of the fact that they are a place of business for a lot of people, so they're totally expecting there to people coming in from the EU whom are using english as their business trip tongue, it shouldn't be a problem

Yeah, as long as you speak English with a non-Anglophone accent, even local nationalists should recognize you as a fellow linguistically-oppressed person and be sympathetic.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Oh, not sure if there's tipping culture where you're from, but aim for at least 15 to 20% when you buy food or drinks from places

I went several years ago with folks from my uni to a student bar and a person I was with was reamed by a bartender for tipping 10%

The Montreal waitstaff do not seem to be afraid to ask for what they're worth

FWIW I think it's become common practice for restaurants to tip out kitchen staff at a percentage of total sales from a server including alcohol. So you can ask what the kitchen is tipped out at (I've seen it as high as 12%), so if you're tipping less than that? You're actually costing the server money. It's a shitty concept but servers usually appreciate when you know what the kitchen cut is, and you go above that for them. 15-20% is usually healthy enough to avoid, if you don't feel like asking.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Thanks for all the great advice. I'm definitely making a list of all the places mentioned.

My country does have tipping, although we do also have a real minimum wage so the usual amount tends lower than the US for example.

Now I need to finalize my travel arrangements which is a headache because we bill this to a research project funded by a government agency and they have some bureaucracy attached that is a nightmare.

Grobian on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If anyone tries to get on you for speaking english, just look right at them, brush your hand at them from under your chin and go " Ehhhhh Tabernac!"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I found out about the holiday while in a meeting, it completely detracted the conversation and derailed the meeting. My team leader was like “Is this confirmed? Send me the link!”

Love a holiday for any reason.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Brolo wrote: »

it's a federal holiday actually, not a national holiday
    Taya wrote: »
    I found out about the holiday while in a meeting, it completely detracted the conversation and derailed the meeting. My team leader was like “Is this confirmed? Send me the link!”

Love a holiday for any reason.
    unless you work in a federal regulated industry you aren't getting a day off at this point. no provinces have had made it a provintial stat.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    booo hiss

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    If you're in NB you're getting it off though. Screw you other provinces, we suck and want to not work.

• Options
    I work in a federal industry so hooray

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I working in banking...but it's US tech banking...so I will be very surprised if I'm getting it off...damn US not caring about us Cdn folk...

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    It looks like it might only be federal employees, not even just federally regulated industries

so I think I'm probably screwed on it

• Options
    edited September 2022

#Metrolinx pausing service on September 19 to honour #QueenElizabethII

this seems like a bad idea

Brolo on
  • Options
    CAMNADA I WILL BE IN YOU TOMORROW

PLEASE ACT SURPRISED

• Options
    CAMNADA I WILL BE IN YOU TOMORROW

PLEASE ACT SURPRISED

Have fun in Charlottetown!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    be careful of covid while traveling! wear n95s!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Please say hi to Anne of Green Gables for me

Steam
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    give anne of green gables covid

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    NO

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NO

Agreed. She would be 114 by now, that makes her an extra senior citizen and in the extra vulnerable population group.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    A LIST OF THOUGHTS ON CAPNADA: A LIST

1: y'all got some sexy homeless men. i ain't gonna sugar coat it

2: what did you do with all the squirrels

3: i heard a disappointingly small amount of newfoundland accents. do better next time Cannarda

4: are you afraid of running out of tim hortons is that why there's so many

5: air canada is a lovely plane company in comparison to literally any US company

6: carnadia is better than the US there I said it

7: omg pritty muneez

8: PIE looks just like Minnesota except the shingles are different and you treat your Vitorian houses much better

9: all the buses were going to england how do you do that is it camnadiarn magic?

10: roundabouts are the creation of Satan Who Is The Devil In Hell

11: i enjoyed all the French

12: i ordered bad poutine i would appreciate your thought and prayers in this troubling time

THANK YOU CARPMANDA!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The squirrels are trying to get into my grandfather’s house.

PEI has roundabouts everywhere and it’s lovely.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Lots of Newfoundland accents here in Newfoundland, you went to wrong province smh.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

PEI has roundabouts everywhere and it’s lovely.

hello satan how are you how is L'Enfer

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    2: what did you do with all the squirrels

They're all hanging out in the tree outside my apartment and screaming in some kind of psychotic rage.
    10: roundabouts are the creation of Satan Who Is The Devil In Hell

Don't go to Saskatoon as that has to be where the devil lives. Also, Cities Skylines has convinced me that roundabouts are the one true way to deal with traffic congestion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    A LIST OF THOUGHTS ON CAPNADA: A LIST

*snip*

12: i ordered bad poutine i would appreciate your thought and prayers in this troubling time

*snip*

Bad poutine? That sounds like a job for Canadaman the Federal Poutine Quality Bureau! A Completely Real And Not At All Made-Up government institution dedicated to making sure Canadian poutine-offering restaurants serve only the most enjoyable poutines! They investigate bad poutine incidents and provide rehabilitative support for faulty establishments, either by offering training for their cooks, hooking them up with quality producers, or other measures (like updating management policies or replacing managers outright). Rehabilitation for wrongdoers: it's the Canadian Way!

Elaro on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular